WQ 174: Horse Sense, Part II
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2005 :  20:13:46  Show Profile
1. At what “academy” did Bob Conrad begin and polish his horsemanship?

2. What breeds were Ross Martin’s customary mounts?

3. What were the real names given to the horses Bob Conrad rode in the series? What was the principal specialty of each horse?

4. Which of the 104 West episodes revolved around a horse? In the context of that show, what was ironic about the animal’s casting?

5. In which episode did we see West apply the protective blanket on his horse before applying the saddle?

6. What so frightened West’s horse that it ran away from him?

7. In what episode did West outfit his own horse with artillery?

8. In which episode did West mount his horse from behind (a jump with hands planted on its fanny)?

9. In which episode did Artie pull the same stunt as in #X?

10, Name the episodes in which we saw West’s horse hitched to the back railing of the The Wanderer’s varnish car.

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2005 :  20:28:55  Show Profile
1. At what “academy” did Bob Conrad begin and polish his horsemanship? Hard knocks at Warner Brothers

2. What breeds were Ross Martin’s customary mounts?Quarter Horse, pinto(my favorite) and bay.

3. What were the real names given to the horses Bob Conrad rode in the series? What was the principal specialty of each horse? I don't believe anyone knows the name of Hoby horse but there is one for Superstar, Shadow Trail. Superstar was used for stunts and I guess scenes that needed a little fire while HH was used for more gentle moments.
4. Which of the 104 West episodes revolved around a horse? In the context of that show, what was ironic about the animal’s casting?
Jack O'Diamonds supposedly an Arabian. Not!It was a Saddlebred.
5. In which episode did we see West apply the protective blanket on his horse before applying the saddle?

6. What so frightened West’s horse that it ran away from him? A Wolf that was suppose to be a warewolf but was just drugged. I the Night of the Wolf

7. In what episode did West outfit his own horse with artillery? Returning Dead

8. In which episode did West mount his horse from behind (a jump with hands planted on its fanny)?

9. In which episode did Artie pull the same stunt as in #X? Poisonous Posey

I am going to be awake all night trying to remember the ones I missed
Go to Top of Page

orrin cobb
SS novice field agent

USA
959 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2005 :  07:47:22  Show Profile  Visit orrin cobb's Homepage
Taking another crack at it:
1. West Point Military Academy
3. Superstar was one of the real names I remember being mentioned in articles.
5. TNOT Gysy Peril, when West and Gordon get his horse ready in the Lab-Stable Car.
10. TNOT Watery Death, TNOT Deadly Bed I can remember. In Watery Death, The scene is behind rhe opening episode title credits. It, too, was a scene filmed originally during the first season and if you look closely, you'll see West just opening the varnish car door dressed in his first season grey suit, even though he appears bare-chested in the scene. And the shot under the episode title of the San Francisco docks was originally a process shot for Disney's "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea".
Go to Top of Page

K Mills
SS novice field agent

849 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2005 :  16:27:15  Show Profile
I think Mary nailed all of these, but number two is an interesting one. The grey horse, that RM is seen on, looks almost Arabian, maybe quarter horse. The big bay with the splash of white on his stomach looks like a draft horse mix. I think they handed RM whatever horse was standing close by. MHO

8. Night of the Bubbling Death
9. This one is nagging at me - maybe later.
5. Gypsy Peril
3. Sassy has mentioned that Hobby Horse might have been named Cory. HH had a few tricks up his hooves, as he was the one used when Jim fell down into the saddle, and it was HH who did the falls. Superstar was more flashy, but not as steady.
1. Warner Bros gave horse back riding lessons to whatever stars wanted to learn, and BC took advantage of this early to be more versatile as an actor. The man could ride lightning.

Return volley: Name the episode where we saw someone else riding Jim's horse. And name the episode where Artemus and his horse bit the dust - hard. Great quiz!
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2005 :  18:56:03  Show Profile
Return volley: Name the episode where we saw someone else riding Jim's horse.

Ahem—at least two episodes: "The Returning Dead" (Colonel Carson) and "The Iron Fist" (Count Draja).

And name the episode where Artemus and his horse bit the dust - hard.

"The Double-Edged Knife" (during the great chase of the fake Apaches).

Great quiz!

Thank you. As Mr. West said to Jeremiah, "You got in a few good licks yourself."

Correct answers for Part II will be confirmed on Tuesday. The third and final part of this quiz will be posted next weekend, in time for the Run for the Roses. Each part will honor its recipient Anabella. The contestant with the most correct answers across all three weeks will receive a special equine (and oxymoronic) Arabella.
Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2005 :  21:49:34  Show Profile
Ouch!

Starting Tuesday I am not sure I will have access to a computer

Go to Top of Page

K Mills
SS novice field agent

849 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  05:36:10  Show Profile
giggle - I misspoke. I was tired, so sue me. Not riding Jim's horse. Name the episode where the horse had a passenger, who wasn't touching the reins. Does that make sense?

And yes, that was a nice fall in Knife. Artie wouldn't have taken a deep breath for a week in real life. smile
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  08:20:13  Show Profile
Name the episode where the horse had a passenger, who wasn't touching the reins. Does that make sense?

I think so, and I'm pretty sure I know the answer. But let's allow someone else a crack at it. Share the love.
Go to Top of Page

AdorableBlue
SS novice field agent

948 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  20:05:14  Show Profile  Visit AdorableBlue's Homepage
quote:
Name the episode where the horse had a passenger, who wasn't touching the reins. Does that make sense?
Passenger? Not touching reins? One held tight to Jim's waist - TNOT Tartar and one, the arms didn't go round .......TNOT Arrow. Were these the ones K was thinking

AdorableBlue
Go to Top of Page

K Mills
SS novice field agent

849 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  20:27:28  Show Profile
Jim wasn't on the horse.
Go to Top of Page

AdorableBlue
SS novice field agent

948 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2005 :  20:49:27  Show Profile  Visit AdorableBlue's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by K Mills

Jim wasn't on the horse.

Did that count Draja touch the rein when he tried to get away with Jim's horse?

AdorableBlue
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2005 :  11:09:36  Show Profile
With apologies for tardiness, your Quizmeister surverys the tote and prepares for Derby Post-Time at around 6:00 pm EDT.

Last weekend's undisputed champion was Mary, with an impressive seven correct answers (##1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 9). Orrin supplied critical halp with ##5 and 10; Karen, with ##3 and 8. While couldron takes last weekend's Arabella, and Orrin and Karen the Henriettas, collectively you all answered all of them! Way to go!

A few loose ends:

Re: #10, Orrin supplies valuable information about the mismatched stock-shot under the director's card in "The Night of the Watery Death." Check it out with slo-mo. And—he'll correct me if I'm wrong—I believe that we also saw West's horse hitched to the train's back railing to open the tag of "The Double-Edged Knife." (Good thing Tennyson led him into the stable car when no one was looking, too, else we'd have seen poor pony dragged off into the sunset at that tag's end!)

As to KMills's return: Name the episode where the horse had a passenger, who wasn't touching the reins.

My vote would be "The Night of the Man-Eating House," in which Liston Day returned home (twice), mounted in West's saddle, with JW holding the reins.

In fact, that was to have been a question in the last of my horsey series of WQs, but Karen beat me to it. So I'll just have to come up with something else!

Remember, WQ 175 is its own Run for the Roses: The cumulative winner for it and the past two weekends will receive a special Arabella. Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

K Mills
SS novice field agent

849 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2005 :  14:17:32  Show Profile
ccb, you deserve some type of award. Like a golden pile of horse apples! Good job!
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2005 :  14:23:04  Show Profile
K Mills: . . . a golden pile of horse apples

I'm afraid to ask, because I think I know what these are.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000