The Night of the Bars of Hell
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2002 :  20:09:37  Show Profile
Adorable Blue and K Mills have ended a recent thread with comments on this episode, which is surely good enough to start a new thread.

Since K Mills has evidently seen this episode recently for only the first time, I'd like to know more of her her thoughts.

For me, the plot of the is episode is wafer-thin; what "story" there is could be told in ten minutes. It's the atmosphere of danger, the wit, and the high style with which it is executed that makes all the difference. Does anyone besides me think that Gene Coon—who produced this and five other episodes before being hired away by Star Trek—injected a lot more humor and warmth between West and Artemus than we saw for most of the first season? In fact, if you'll notice, after the pilot (produced by Garrison), it's only with the Coon episodes that Jim resumes referring to his partner as "Artie."

Come to think of it: Only when Coon leaped aboard the Starship Enterprise did the comedy among its principal characters begin to surface.

West: Oh, there's a girl.
Artemus: Of course.
West: Her name is Jennfier McCoy. I don't know how, but I think she may be involved. Keep an eye on her.
Artemus: Only an eye? When I have so much more to offer?
West: Happy sermons, Preacher.
Artemus (sternly): You ought to listen to one of my sermons.
West: It wouldn't help.
Artemus: It wouldn't hurt.

It's at just about this point in the series, I felt, that the two agents found their real partnership, and their friendship. As RC and RM began loosening up with each other, I'd bet that Coon's rewriting of scripts under Garrison's oversight had a lot to do with that.

AdorableBlue
SS novice field agent

948 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2002 :  20:27:01  Show Profile  Visit AdorableBlue's Homepage
Waz' wondering whether to start a separate thread.........yayay!
Gee.........this is my no. 1 fav eps! I like the scene when West was discovered by the criminals......and the brief fight in the ring......(and that famous comment about drinking milk!!!). The fight which led to West crashing through the wall was interesting enough, too. And......that scene getting him into the electric chair......aaaaaaaaaah! He's got that adorable look even when he's tied to that chair!!!! And his remark to Artie "what took you so long" ...... he's real confident his partner would find him in time!

Very thin storyline..........but full of fast-paced actions and RC really looks cheerful and playful in this eps! What a look for a man in danger! (I've gotta stop babbling here..........! KMills, yer turn!!!!!!!)

AdorableBlue
Go to Top of Page

K Mills
SS novice field agent

849 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2002 :  20:28:54  Show Profile
I agree with ccb the plot is wafer thin but sometimes good things come in small packages. The plot is at least feasible can't drive a truck through this one. The stunts were excellent, you can see Donner's touch in the nonstop action. Even my husband watched, amazing. Gene Coon is great at making partners shine. I loved the dialog in this one even between Jennifer and Artemus.
"Who do you want me to kill?" I was just really impressed with this one some episodes seem campy or cartoonish but this was just good television which as we know is a rare rare thing.

Go to Top of Page

MonkeeMaven
SS 1st assignment - desk job

393 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2002 :  11:23:31  Show Profile  Visit MonkeeMaven's Homepage
His pitchfork will get you in the end....

*maniacal laughter*
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2002 :  13:05:37  Show Profile
Artemus: For you, Jennifer, anything. Who would you like for me to kill?
Jennifer: How did you know?
Artemus: What? (Pause.) I beg your pardon?
Jennifer: How did you know?
Artemus: (Her meaning is dawning on him.) Kill who?
Jennifer: Him. (Points to Scroggs, the executioner.)
Artemus: (Staring at his victim.) Well, I'll——I'll admit he doesn't look like much, but isn't that going just a little too far?

This episode contains almost as many wonderful lines as the movie Casablanca!

Go to Top of Page

Colonel Cross
SS spy school graduate

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2002 :  21:33:49  Show Profile
"I've always been partial to Jennifers...."

That's Mars, Nevada?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000