Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Herr Ostropolyer
SS 1st assignment - desk job

USA
209 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2005 :  15:18:46  Show Profile
Hey Couldron,
You are gonna kill me but, after posting Season 1 Episode Reviews I decided to go back and do mini-reviews for the episodes I missed in the 2nd season as well as change my criteria because I was harder on some that did not deserve it, plus some of my reviews were in reviews that you did not post, so I thought this might help more than harm. Again my apologies.

My Criteria
1 star= awful
2 stars= rushed
3 stars= Some plot holes
4 stars= One Problem
5 stars= Excellent

TNOT Golden Cobra: 4 out of 5 stars
This episode was too fantasy for some and many felt that the great Karloff was more of a cameo than the villian. I disagree and felt that this was a refreshing plot from the usual Presidential Assassins and Mad Scientist.

TNOT Big Blast: 5 out of 5 stars
Finally, an Artie Plot where Artie gets to flex his muscles by sword fighting, romancing the girl, and unveiling the criminal plot. Yes it is a re-hash of frankenstein, Jim is only out of it for 75% of the episode, but Artie's death pledge to seek out Jim's innocence is truly touching.

TNOT Infernal Machines: 2 out of 5 stars
Very disappointing ho-hum plot from S. Bar David aka Shimon Wincleberg about A state Judge's revenge against The Supreme Court that he should have been appointed to. Artie's Herr Ostropolyer is terrific against Vito Scotti's Cefalu.

TNOT Raven: 4 out of 5 stars
The Return of Loveless in a sci-fi plot that will literally shrink the US beneath Loveless' feet. Special effects are great for there day, but Jim is never in any real danger in the wall. (stock footage spider), but still a better Loveless outting.

TNOT Man-Eating House: 5 out of 5 stars
A true masterpiece of gothic intrigue. Too bad CBS would not allow any more yarns like this get on the air. Instead we would go Western.

TNOT Eccentrics: 4 out of 5 stars
Originally I had given this 5 out of 5, but I was too hasty because of the excitement of my favorite villain Count Manzeppi. This plot is a little slow and is the basic Presidential assassination, this time Mexico's Juarez instead of President Grant.

TNOT Returning Dead: 5 out of 5 stars
Share masterpiece that speaks volumes of US Race Relations at the time of filming. It's wonderfully haunting with a stellar all star cast.

TNOT Bottomless PIT: 3 out of 5 stars
Refreshing in that our boys are in the South American Tropics, instead of the West. Yes, its a poor man's Dr. No, but an espionage plot is better than the ususal overthrow the country, or assassinate Grant drivel.

TNOT Ready-Made Corpse: 3 out of 5 stars
Yes, I originally had it as a 2 out of 5 stars, but Carrol O'Connor saves the episode. Sometimes plots can't all be the BIG ONE!

TNOT Flying Pie Plate: 3 out of 5 stars
This episode earns an extra star than my original review thankfully because they did not go down the obvious road and use real aliens, plus they kept us guessing until the third act anyway.

TNOT Poisonous Posey: 3 out of 5 stars
This one also gained a star because the deaths were truly chilling and the humor was added to get this by the censors. Thank You ccb!

TNOT Watery Death: 5 out of 5 stars
This episode probably does not deserve 5 stars, but it is a guilty pleasure of mine. The team dynamic is set, it's action packes, the episode is gadget ridden, and of course the beautiful Dominique.

TNOT Green Terror: 5 out of 5 stars
Yes its got the ridiculous Robin hood them, exploding maces, robotic knights, and yes sadly, Artie in drag. However, these are mere details in that we get to see in the tragic psyche of Dr. Loveless who would allow children go hungry and cry in the night than not get his revenge.

TNOT Lord of Limbo: 5 out of 5 stars
I don't know how this one got past me for reviewing, but this one is an Epic folks. Jim has to go into the 5th dimension to save Artie. Artie is killed in this dimension and Jim expression speaks volumes. Yes, the portal is used for nothing more than to assassinate grant, but no one will ever get over the haunting laughter of NBV (Ricardo Montalban)as he loses his newly acquired legs.

TNOT Skulls: 4 out of 5 stars
Artie is given the short hand of the stick for this mission. Jim Shoots and kills him, He has to preach at his own funeral, he is attacked by a hellish hunchback, he wears no more than 4 disguises, he is showboated by Jim in capturing Fenlow, plus Jim has Artie's romantic interest, Lorolei (Lisa Gaye)arrested during a date. The team dynamic here is definently outta whack!

TNOT Tottering Tontine: 3 out of 5 stars
A really gripping mystery that has Artie wear a disguise for absolutely no apparent reason. The house has traps galore and hooded thugs behind every corner, but the big disappointment is that the writers rely on a missing twin twist that will get any mystery lover peeved. Yeah, we wished the butler did it! lol!

TNOT Gypsy Peril: 2 out of 5 stars
Some great scenes with Artie dealing with impossible royalty, and using the ol' firecrackers as an army trick can't save thsi turkey!

TNOT Feathered Fury: 5 out of 5 stars
Count Manzeppi is back! This one is action packed with the stellar Victor Buono and this wonderful group of Eccentrics. The only problem is that Manzeppi did not return.

TNOT Brain: 3 out of 5 stars
Yes Brain does put our boys through the paces, but its like the WWW's writers wanted to do an episode of Batman with a really whacky villian. Heck, CBS even pitched in for quite a nice cave set, but again nothing more than taking over the world plot.

TNOT Vicious Valentine: 4 out of 5 stars
Yes, it does have traces of Batman. Whitey is the laughing thug ala Joker and there are death traps galore, but Agnes Moorehead's Emma Valentine is better than any Batman villianess. She took home the emmy award for this show while Frank Gorshin only got nominated for his Riddler portrayal. It's not a perfect episode however due to some of the silly traps ala the chair of women's hands which is more laughable than frightening.

TNOT Tartar: 3 out of 5 stars
The Best of the 3 episodes that deal with Russian themes. We wish we actually went to Russia because it would solve many of the plot holes in this story.

TNOT Deadly Bubble: 2 out of 5 stars
A very rushed episode that had too many plot devices in it to be believable: Crack Shots, a Tidal Waves, and a superflous leading lady equals a ho-hum plot to take over the world.

TNOT Surreal McCoy: 4 out of 5 stars
Loveless is back with a great gimic: jumping in and out of paintings, however it is used for nothing more than to pit Jim West against the top 7 guns in the west. Still it's fantasy and it's Knuebuhl, but Loveless will not be the same character again.

TNOT Colonel's Ghost: 2 out of 5 stars
Rehash of TNOT Tottering Tontine with an ungrateful President Grant, Artie in a pointless disguise, an annoying parrot, more misdirection than a goose chase, and the most predictable ending to date. The writers could do better.

TNOT Deadly Blossum: 2 1/2 out of 5 stars
Rehash of TNOT Watery Death mixed with a poor man's Dr. No does not a great WWW plot make.

TNOT Cadre: 3 out of 5 stars
For some reason in my original post I had it as 3 out of 4 stars opps!. Not a bad Idea! Indestructable armies to capture Grant and have him an obiedient zombie under Trask's control. Hey, it beats the usual lets assassinate Grant plot.

TNOT Wolf: 2 out of 5 stars
Major disappointment in that there is very little lycanthporic about TNOT Wolf. There are Characters we could care less about, stuffed dogs used for Wolf attacks, miscast villains, and your basic overthrow the king plot earns a big woof!

TNOT Bogus Bandits:2 1/2 stars out of 5
Very ho-hum take over the country western plot for a Loveless outting. Loveless would never be tha same and so would our series. Gone will be the sci-fi and fantasy plots that made The Wild, Wild West truly wild. Now we'll have more action, more westerns, and more plot rehashes, but still an awesome series thats better than anything that's on tv today.

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2005 :  16:38:45  Show Profile
quote:
Hey Couldron,
You are gonna kill me but, after posting Season 1 Episode Reviews I decided to go back and do mini-reviews for the episodes I missed in the 2nd season as well as change my criteria because I was harder on some that did not deserve it, plus some of my reviews were in reviews that you did not post, so I thought this might help more than harm. Again my apologies.

I wish I had more time at the moment but this is so much fun reading that I will wait till I have more time to savor it. Next week I will post an overall finding as ccb requested. I did intend to do it anyway as I did for the first season. I have people coming in about ten minutes so got to go.
Go to Top of Page

Michael

139 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2005 :  17:45:11  Show Profile
The second season has one of my least favorite episodes. I am talking about TNOT Infernal Machines. This is actually one WWW episode that I can't find anything good to say about. We can all have discussions about which episodes are the best but we almost never accuse an episode of being deadly boring, but to me this one qualifies. I think two stars is generous. I am also not a huge fan of TNOT Big Blast but that is a matter of my own personal taste. It did highlight Artemus which was rare and for that I give it credit. One of my guilty pleasure episodes from season 2 would have to be TNOT Flying Pie Plate. I have seen this episode a dozen times and always enjoy it. It has many of the core ingredients that make WWW so great.
Go to Top of Page

Michael

139 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  04:08:37  Show Profile
Good morning Herr. I just had a quick question. Have you ever rated an episode as one star? If so which one's. I guess TNOT Infernal Machine would be a one star episode for me. Awful would be one word that I could use to describe it. Do the rest of you have any one star episodes?
Go to Top of Page

Desert Roger
SS novice field agent

4349 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  08:25:39  Show Profile  Visit Desert Roger's Homepage
The Night Of The Plague and other season 4 episodes deserve one star : )
Go to Top of Page

Herr Ostropolyer

USA
209 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  15:14:49  Show Profile
Hey Michael,
TNOT Sudden Plague in season 1 came pretty darn close (1 1/2 stars), but there is still 2 entire seasons left. I don't want to start reviewing these episodes until couldron posts them. Then and there can I be thorough and have evidence to back up my reviews, so I'm afaid you and everyone else will have to wait and see.

My apologies.

Herr Ostroployer

P.S. The only hint I can give you is that the 4th season is not my favorite season.
Go to Top of Page

Cindylover1969
SS novice field agent

United Kingdom
1267 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  00:46:02  Show Profile  Visit Cindylover1969's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Herr Ostropolyer
TNOT Bogus Bandits:2 1/2 stars out of 5
Very ho-hum take over the country western plot for a Loveless outting.

Still far better than "The Night of Miguelito's Revenge." Plus Marianna Hill's one of the Triple W's classic babes...

Anyway, what I really wanted to say about this episode (I couldn't find a thread for it, hence posting it on this one) was how it shows the pitfalls of tracking - case in point the end of Act 2 as Jim sees the gun that the good doctor provides him with coming down from the tree. This particular scene is accompanied by Richard Markowitz music from "The Night of the Golden Cobra," as is the end of Act 3 - but Act 2's end has very Indian-flavoured music at that (originally written for the polo match with our hero as the goal at the end of that episode's third act); no real point and it kind of distracts you. (Not as much as the sticks-out-like-a-sore-thumb comical fight music tracked into the bar fight in "The Night of the Watery Death," mind.) What was the music editor thinking?

"Make them both as uncomfortable as possible." - Marquis de la Mer, "The Night of the Watery Death"
Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  14:25:35  Show Profile
http://www.wildwildwest.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1079&SearchTerms=Bogus,Bandits
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000