Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Wild Wild West - Chat and Play
 Wild Wild West General Discussion Board
 Did Don Adams and RC ever work together?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Desert Roger
SS novice field agent

4350 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  12:59:41  Show Profile  Visit Desert Roger's Homepage
Get Smart was a favorite show of mine as a kid.

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  14:23:14  Show Profile
Mine too! I don't think they ever worked together. Too bad! What character do you think Don would have had on WWW? He would have been better than Pat Paulson in Camera.
Go to Top of Page

Herr Ostropolyer
SS 1st assignment - desk job

USA
209 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  17:12:52  Show Profile
Hey all,
Just heard the sad news about Don Adams' untimely death. I know that this is the Wild, Wild West board and this is definetly off topic, but I'm indeed very sad. You see among being a WWW fan I'm a fan of many great and imaginative 60's tv shows including: Batman, Star Trek the original series, Lost in Space, I Spy, The Avengers, Mission Impossible, The Green Hornet, and The Man from U.N.C.L.E. Often times I've made plot similarities and comparisons in many of my Reviews. However, one of my all time favorite shows from the 60's has got to be Get Smart.

This was the comedy shows to end all comedy shows that was the first show to lampoon James Bond and outlast many of the James Bond immitators. You would not have The Naked Gun Movies or Austin Powers if it wasn't for Get Smart. However, this show was far more than a spy spoof. It also had one of the most unlikely heroes in Tv History. Maxwell Smart, Agent 86 was the world's biggest clutz who messed up every mission he was on. However, Max had a spirit that should inspire all of us. Even though the odds were against him and he messed everything up he still accepted who he was and eventually overcame all odds. Get Smart was and still is a wonderful show for anyone who is having a bad day. You get home all irritated at the mocking world. You turn on the tv to blow off some steam and there is a guy on Tv who has an even worse day than you, but the witty ways in which he gets through it makes you laugh and smile and realize "Hey the world outside isn't so rotten after all."

If, Agent 86 can do it, than maybe I can do it too. Yeah, I know this sounds very corny, but this is the reason I, a 25 year old living in the MTV Generation loves 60's tv. It has great moral values, it allowed you to escape the humdrum, and it had concepts that made you want to be nice to your fellow man. Instead of the crap on tv that revals in scandel, gossip, and human indignity through "Reality Tv". However, its not just reality tv: Comedies are raunchier, Dramas try to push the envelop of good taste by trying to be far too realistic, The News never has endearing human interest stories (if it bleeds, it leads). And this is why my friends that I turn to the good ol' days of tv: where times were just as bad as they are now, but Tv was meant to entertain, and not to shock.

Get Smart was one of those great escapist shows and one of the great geniuses' behind its success is gone, and I'm truly sad. Do you want to also know something ironic? A couple of weeks ago they just found out who owned the rights to Get Smart and it is due out on DVD sometime before the end of 2006. Sadly, there will not be any audio commentary from Don. Again, another reason I can't stand the entertainment industry at large! They'll put out dvd's of the crap that's on tv now-a-days once the 1st season is completed, but the classics still haven't seen the light of day on vhs, not even dvd. One of the biggest Holy Grails is to get Batman on dvd. Its main stars are still alive, but still no dvds due to the Fox and Warner Brothers' legal battles over who owns Batman. WB owns the rights to the character while Fox owns the rights to the show. Man fom U.N.C.L.E., whose main leads are still alive will also not see the light of day until a movie script that has been constantly kicked around Hollywood eventually takes fruition. I just hope Paramount gets their act together and releases our favorite show before we lose Robert Conrad. That's my sermon for today folks. I feel that I'm rambling, plus getting a little negative when I should be showing symoathy to one of my heros.

Don did not act with RC, but they did share many of the same props and sets. In fact, you can see old Max in the Wanderer in the classic 3rd season Get Smart episode: "The King Lives". Max and 99 got married in front of the giant staircase that Jim and Artie constantly got into fisticuffs on in the 4th Season episode "With Love and Twitches" In the 3rd Season episode "Maxwell Smart, Private Spy" Max and 99 have a modern day shoot out with Kaos agents in front of the motel from TNOT Tottering Tontine, only this time the street is tar and not dirt, plus their are cars instead of horses. Both shows utilized the Gilligan's Island Set, WWW = TNOT Bottomless Pit, and Get Smart's 4th season = "Schwartz's Island". Both shows used the great CBS cave set WWW = TNO Fire and Brimstone, While get Smart used it in the 4th season episode "To Sire with Love pt 2". Lastly, Max dukes it out with a Kaos agent in the 2nd season episode "Our Man Smart pt 3" in a Western Bar set that was seen in many WWW's and maybe where RC had "The Fall". Props wise: The deadly dragon torpedo from TNOT Watery Death can be seen in the 3rd Season Episode "The Wax Max". Many of the waterfront dock sets were used for both shows, and I belive that the crates at the waterfront if you turned them around would have had "Property of Kaos" on the sides not visible to camera. The model House used for TNOT Tottering Tontine and TNO Bleak Island, were also used on the 5th season "Rebecca of Funny Folk Farm".

P.S. if Don Adams played a character on our favorite show, He have to be reminiscent of his King Charles character from "The King Lives" and "To Sire with Love pts 1 and 2" Perhaps the price from TNOT Two Legged Buffalo, or the King from TNOT Ready-Made Corpse. I agree he would have been better than Pat Paulson in TNOT Camera!
Go to Top of Page

Desert Roger
SS novice field agent

4350 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  19:44:48  Show Profile  Visit Desert Roger's Homepage
Would of been great to see Don Adams in a season 4 episode of The Wild Wild West.

And did you know that Don Adams dropped out of high school to join the U.S. Marines and lied about his age and went to the terrible jungle fighting on Guadalcanal and became very ill there? A good man he was. Very sad to see all these 1960's TV stars dying.

There was something really special about television shows then, in the mid to late sixties.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Col. Richmond (SS Director)

USA
1898 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  10:01:29  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage
Ross appeared with Don Adams on "Don Adams' Screen Test".

<wry smile>

We'll all miss Agent 86. Sue Kelser, who wrote the WWWest bible, has an exact replica of the car 86 drove. She's been restoring it for quite some time now...

-Yours in (secret) service,

---------->>>>> <<<<<----------
WildWildWest.org AdminMaven

admin@wildwildwest.org
Go to Top of Page

Silver
SS novice field agent

882 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  10:31:53  Show Profile
Hope this doesn't take us too far off topic. Talking about the great old 60's shows, and guest appearances, such-like... I wish Ross Martin had ever guested on Mission: Impossible. Especially because I have long had a theory that Artemus Gordon is the great, great-grandfather of Rollin Hand. Sure Martin Landau is much taller than Ross, but that obviously came from some other part of the family. But their characters are enough similar to make me treasure the concept. And I do so love both actors/spies.

And as for Get Smart - nothing can compare. An icon of our society, and Don Adams was everything everyone has said and more. Who can not smile when they think of 'Missed it by that much!'?

Silver
Go to Top of Page

MaudeB
SS novice field agent

582 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  11:02:41  Show Profile
I loved Don Adams and I never missed "Get Smart", even after it went to CBS. But I have to stand up for Pat Paulsen in TNOT Camera -- he was great - I can't see Don Adams as that character. It would have been a more memorable episode if Ross Martin had been there, of course.

"Sorry about that, Chief!"
Go to Top of Page

MaudeB
SS novice field agent

582 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  11:05:45  Show Profile
I forgot that Jim West, in TNOT Infernal Machine (I think), after knocking over the cook with the tray of jello, said, "Sorry about that, Chef."
Go to Top of Page

Desert Roger
SS novice field agent

4350 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2005 :  07:52:40  Show Profile  Visit Desert Roger's Homepage
Good memory, MaudeB! I had forgotten about that little scene.
Go to Top of Page

Desert Roger
SS novice field agent

4350 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2005 :  07:04:10  Show Profile  Visit Desert Roger's Homepage
Was watching an AE Biography of Don Adams yesterday and saw that Michael Dunn played "Mr. Big", the badguy in the Pilot episode of GET SMART in 1965. Same year that he debuted as Dr. Loveless in our "favourite programme."
Go to Top of Page

Silver
SS novice field agent

882 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  11:57:25  Show Profile
Don't know why I didn't think to mention it before. My laptop word processor, which is an 'AlphaSmart 3000', I named right from the start 'Maxwell'. This has long been a much enjoyed joke among the AlphaSmart users community. Now that we've lost Don Adams, I'm especially happy that I named it so. By the way, my mother likes to call her AS3K 'KAOS'.

Silver
Go to Top of Page

Desert Roger
SS novice field agent

4350 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  12:12:46  Show Profile  Visit Desert Roger's Homepage
I call my cubicle here at work "The Cone Of Silence"
Go to Top of Page

Silver
SS novice field agent

882 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2005 :  12:37:04  Show Profile
Some things are just so classic, they never really vanish from the vernacular!

Silver
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

47 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2005 :  14:34:43  Show Profile
Funnest shows of the 1960's (according to Tundra Ted):

The Wild Wild West
Hogan's Heroes
Get Smart

Lamest shows of the 1960's (according to TT)

Bonanza
Gunsmoke
The Andy Griffith Show after Barney Fife left
Go to Top of Page

JimPhelps

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2005 :  13:18:12  Show Profile
Wonderful comments about Don Adams, Herr. Your observations about Get Smart are right on target. And it’s coming out on DVD for 2006 so we can enjoy Don’s talent forever, along with Ed Platt, Barbara Feldon, and don’t forget Bernie “This is KAOS. Ve don’t shhhhh here!”Kopell.
It was a great show, along with “Green Acres” ahead of it’s time.

Mr. Phelps
Go to Top of Page

JimPhelps

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2005 :  13:26:45  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Silver

... I wish Ross Martin had ever guested on Mission: Impossible. Especially because I have long had a theory that Artemus Gordon is the great, great-grandfather of Rollin Hand.

Are you reading my mind?

(What number am I thinking of? )

Mr. Phelps
Go to Top of Page

Silver
SS novice field agent

882 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2005 :  11:05:19  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by JimPhelps
(What number am I thinking of?

42?

I actually thought of the idea years ago when reading a book about Rex Stout's Nero Wolf mysteries. In it the author posited the theory, and gave good 'evidence' to back it up, that Wolf was actually the illegitimate son of Sherlock Holmes and Irene Adler, conceived during the time Holmes was thought dead after the incident at the Richenbach Falls. Holmes could easily have spent the intervening years in Montenegro doing research.

Say, Jim , you don't happen to know of a worthwhile M:I group, do you? I realize there's not likely to be one as fine as this WWW group.

Silver
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000