Review of The Night of the Cutthroats
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2005 :  15:32:43  Show Profile
Walter Mason and Farmer Cole are mentioned but do not appear in this episode. Lucky men! This episode should have been a good one with Brad Dillman, Beverly Garland, Walter Burke and Jackie Coogan but instead it has found its way into my list of the worst of the series. Why would Artie and Jim be mixed up in this uninteresting plot? A plot that is really a run of the mill story about revenge. While I was watching, it struck me that this plot was just an excuse for RC and the stuntmen to have fun. I must admit that I was intrigued at the start. I wanted to know more of Mason and perhaps that is why the episode is such a disappointment. Masonís death is dismissed with Artie asking Trayne if he killed him. The question goes unanswered. Why would James and Artie remain to defend a town that the residents have left? What are they defending that would be of national importance? The sheriff is the only good guy left and he is treated as a buffoon who redeems himself in staying to defend the deserted town a la High Noon. The potential was great in this episode but alas we are left sweeping the floor eating an apple.

Best line in the episode:

Cassidy: You two know each other
Jim West: Our paths have crossed before.

One and half smiles out of five.

Desert Roger
SS novice field agent

4361 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2005 :  08:54:29  Show Profile  Visit Desert Roger's Homepage
Lame, corny, cowboy episode.
One star out of five.
Go to Top of Page

Herr Ostropolyer
SS 1st assignment - desk job

USA
209 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2005 :  08:23:55  Show Profile
Hey all,
Great review couldron. Yes,TNOT Cut-Throats exemplifies the mundane plots our heroes would be facing in this very realistic and Western season. It is your basic reveng plot with Trayne looting than destroying his home town that betrayed him and sent him up the river for many a year.

When Trayne gets back it is truly a surprise. Everyone knows his devilish character, thus they hightail it the first chance they get and we shouldn't blame them, after all we have cut-throats drowning the mayor right in the middle of town, and a bloated sheriff that would rather eat a seven course meal than deal with Trayne. However, Jackie Coogan's Sheriff makes the plot very believable. The Treacherous Trayne has been gone many a year, thus the town becomes calm and quite (a one horse town), thus the Sheriff has very little to do than enjoy the local cousine. The mayor is your usual Irish stereotype: proud, hot blooded, and ready to fight for his town, thus when it is found that he is in on Trayne's plan is quite shocking. I did enjoy the gunfight to protect the town (the stunt team got to show off), but you are right! the plot has many holes in it with too much unmentioned back story.

I believe TNOT Cut-Throats would have made a wonderful episode of "Gunsmoke", but for our boys it truly stresses their jurisdicrion. Perhaps, if Walter Mason was an ex-agent who asked for their help, it would have been more belivable for them to stay, but as you point out we truly learn nothing about this character. Plus, I think it a little too patriotic for our heroes to "waste" their talents to protect a town that no one wants to protect. I love how the sheriff gets his personal respect back for saving the town, but couldn't they have ended the episode with the sheriff getting all the pomp and circumstance of a war hero for protecting the town for the greatful and returning townfolk. (would have been better then him sweeping up the place all alone.)

RC and RM are in top form here. I love how Jim saves the carriage full of people, plus The fight he gets into at the bar is truly effective in making Trayne to be the bad guy. "Everyone get out! Mr. Trayne does not like to be watched!." Jim just saved this jerk's life and he is getting tossed out. I love how he just sits there until Trayne's men pounce. After destroying the thugs, I love how Jim refuses to drink Trayne's vintage of brandy. (priceless!). Artie's disguise isn't that great, just a mustache and funny clothes, (wich would be repeated again this season!) however RM easily stays in character throughout this entire episode. I love how he is betrayed by the girl (forgot her name, but she wasn't that memorable anyway!), but he was able to unload her gun before she can shoot him. I also love Artie's explosive escape out of Trayne's clutches. My only gripe is that RM personafied the piano player throughout the entire episode only to be the but of the joke at the end of the tag scene. "She must have been bad because anyone who hired you as a piano player must be evil." (har dee har har Jim you're quite the riot! NOT!).lol!

An exciting outting for RC and the Stuntmen, but 0 plot equals 2 stars out of 5 for this Turkey that would have made a great "Gunsmoke", but not a Wild, Wild West!

Herr Ostropolyer

"You're last name's West huh, You sure you don't have any Irish in you." Mayor Cassidy to Jim after he single handedly takes on Trayne's forces while Artie uses his rifle butt to clobber a thug in TNOT Cut-Throats.
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2005 :  09:20:23  Show Profile
Fine actors wasted on another script by Edward J. Lakso. If you have forgotten Edward J. Lakso, see my comments on "The Night of the Firebrand."

Go to Top of Page

Redhead1617
SS novice field agent

USA
1393 Posts

Posted - 11/13/2005 :  06:41:20  Show Profile  Visit Redhead1617's Homepage
not one of my fav eps, a little too violent and a little too creepy if you ask me, but the one part I do like is Artie as the piano player, reminds me of Billy Joel's "Piano Man" (still think Joe is a better name than Bill for a piano man ) Yeah, that comment by Jim in the end kinds ticked me off at Jim though it is nastily similiar to some snarky comment I may make to my best friend, and for that I am ashamed of

for Artie alone, well, and maybe for Jim refusing the brandy, that was good too

~Red

*sigh...where's MY Ross Martin?
Go to Top of Page

Redhead1617
SS novice field agent

USA
1393 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2005 :  21:39:43  Show Profile  Visit Redhead1617's Homepage
a few quotes I dug up despite the rotten rating:

Sheriff: hey, what's going on here?
Gordon: well if you'd come around a little sooner sheriff you might have known
Mayor: he probably had his head burried in a bucket of food

Gordon: Cardinal rule ma'am. Never travel next to a loaded gun unless you're sure it belongs to a very dear friend

Gordon: Why must it always be so complicated?

~Red

*sigh...where's MY Ross Martin?
Go to Top of Page

Dieter Epping
SS senior field agent

USA
6505 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2005 :  01:05:14  Show Profile
Definitely not one of my favorites, but I still thought it was a very entertaining episode. It was one of those "Too Western" ones from the 3rd season but it still had it's good moments. It had no cool secret agent spy stuff from the 1st and 2nd seasons--or the earlier 3rd season ones, but I still thought it was an acceptable action episode. stars out of 5 for me. I'm not going to rate this on my favorite up to 10 star list. 3 out of 5 is good enough.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000