WQ 189: No Thanks
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2005 :  09:27:26  Show Profile
"The director [Irving J. Moore] threw me quite a curve. I had an opening which was about two or three pages long, and he wanted me to play it fast and furious and loud. And after one or two rehearsals I recall Conrad looking up and saying, 'Wow, wow, wait a minute. Why is ___ so way up?' Conrad's approach to work on the screen was [to be] as realistic, as normal as possible. And Moore said, 'We'll take care of it,' [and] then he got me on the side and said, 'I don't want you to change [anything]—and I want you to do it as loud as you can; punch this thing as hard as you can.' And I did it, and not until I saw the segment did I realize how bad I had been. I never worked again for any of those producers or any of those casting directors. They wouldn't go near me again, ever, and it was all because of Moore. He had directed several [episodes], and he was just kind of—as quite often happens in this business—at the point where he was perversely antagonistic toward Conrad. The best way I can sum it up is with a picture I did with Billy Wilder. We had a fourteen-week shoot and on the twelfth week [Wilder] looked at me and said, 'The problem is, we've just all been together too long, and that's the problem.' I think this is what had happened with Moore [and Conrad]."

Name the actor who gave us this candid, behind-the-scene commentary.

n/a
deleted

84 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2005 :  11:22:17  Show Profile
Was it Cary Grant ?Just a guess !
Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2005 :  13:11:52  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by rocco

Was it Cary Grant ?Just a guess !

I vaguely remember this story and because are next review will be the one with Ray Watson that is my guess.
Go to Top of Page

lleroy
SS 1st assignment - desk job

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2005 :  15:35:06  Show Profile
I remember this story, too, and I think Mary's right: it's Ray Walston.

Leslie
Go to Top of Page

Redhead1617
SS novice field agent

USA
1393 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2005 :  21:02:28  Show Profile  Visit Redhead1617's Homepage
ouch

~Red

*sigh...where's MY Ross Martin?
Go to Top of Page

Elaine
SS 1st assignment - desk job

356 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2005 :  16:40:04  Show Profile
Absolutely right girls! I'm actually looking at the page (176) copied from that book, which quotes Walston. What's the name of the book, ccb? (For some reason, the name of the book and the author do not appear anywhere on the page as they often do.)
Go to Top of Page

K Mills
SS novice field agent

849 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2005 :  12:49:46  Show Profile
Sounds right. Thought I'd wave hello from Wisconsin (it could be the spasmodic shivering) Leslie, are you alright from that blizzard?

K
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2005 :  15:34:45  Show Profile
First, my apologies: The last week for me has been a real pip. This is the soonest I could get back and verify the last WQ before coming up with this weekend's quiz.

It's especially embarrassing, because couldron nailed this one almost immediately: The actor in question was, indeed, Ray Walston, as quoted in the nostalgiafest America on the Rerun. In a future post I'll provide details about that book for those interested. In it, Ray Walston's observations on Robert Conrad and Ross Martin are also quoted; I'll report those in another thread sometime this month.

In the meanwhile: Congratuations to couldron on her new Anabella, and to rocco, lleroy, Redhead, Elaine, and K Mills for their participatory Henriettas.

As Mousekteer Jimmy used to say, "See you real soon!"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000