The Night of the Running Death
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  08:21:47  Show Profile

I have such ambivalent feeling towards this episode. It is definitely a western with the wagon train and Indians. The bad guy is a twist to the plot. The one word that comes to mind about the episode is padding. It even has a double tag to pad it. There is so much that I like about this episode so why am I negative? Because when it is all over there are unanswered questions. Why was the first girl killed? Where Artie and Jim right that the reason Jeff Smith was killed was because he was in on it and was about to spill it to the boys? I am sure we have the first tag in order to explain why Artie knew that the dessert belonged to Dierdre. I must admit I liked the fight in front of the Governorís door but it was nonsensical to me. This was supposed to be a good stand-up governor and he has thugs for his guards. Even though there is a lot of padding, it has a lot of story too. Although, havenít we already done the princess thing to death? The Apache attack was funny because the Apacheís lived in the Southwest. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache
The wagon train started in St. Louis which is 691 miles from Denver. A wagon train would travel fifteen miles to twenty miles per day. That means that it took them over month to get to Denver.
It would have been so easy for them to have tied up the loose ends of this story and then maybe I wouldnít feel let down. This does not mean it is a bad episode just not a full meal but I still like it well enough to give it.

our of five

Sassy2
SS novice field agent

USA
1001 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  11:07:59  Show Profile
The Apache thing probably happened because that is the stock film footage of "indians" attacking that happened to be available.

My favourite parts: watching Superstar jumping out of his skin every time RC fires that gun, and RC trying hard not to laugh outloud when he first sees RM as "the actor"... Fun!

So hey - plot holes you can throw a cow through, yes. But some very fun moments plus some damn cool horse stuff.

That dessert sure does have some infamous behind-the-scenes stories...

"Time has little to do with infinity and jelly doughnuts."
Go to Top of Page

Redhead1617
SS novice field agent

USA
1393 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  13:56:01  Show Profile  Visit Redhead1617's Homepage
I can't really explain it either, but I really don't care for this episode. I don't know why, I just don't like it. I watch it, yes, usually when I'm just randomly popping a tape in and playing it all the way through, but that's rare.

I love the horses, but that's about all. Perhaps I need to re-watch the episode to see the part Sassy is talking about
quote:
RC trying hard not to laugh outloud when he first sees RM as "the actor"... Fun!

Are you going to leave us hanging Sassy?
quote:
That dessert sure does have some infamous behind-the-scenes stories...
or is this something that is in the Kesler Bible that I actually have to go look up now? wasn't it something like RM wanted to get it right and they had to go to the liquor store for the stuff that would burn??

~Red

*sigh...where's MY Ross Martin?
Go to Top of Page

Herr Ostropolyer
SS 1st assignment - desk job

USA
209 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  15:08:00  Show Profile
Hey all,
Wonderful and accurate critiques as usual. This offering should have been entitled TNOT Endless Padding. I too do not like this episode. Is this another Lasko script? Obviously they were trying to do Agatha Christie ala "Death on the Nile" or "Murder on the Orient Express", but it just doesn't work here.

I also feel that TNOT Running Death had one main premise (villian in drag), but how do we live up to the twist. We'll have endless goose chases, throw in another circus group, and top it off with a Royal Assassination. The pace crawls due to the overabundence of suspects. Plus, I felt that because the pace crawls, the episode has the rarity of making our boys seem very "dim".

Jim has to get into some scrap with every suspect to test his strong hands theory. I find that ridiculous, and just helps to add a few extra fights. "JW you are the master of fisticuffs, but to jeopardize your health and safty on the smallest of wims is shameful."

Artie does not escape my wrath either. Artie is a master thespian, why does he use the disguise of an actor here. In TNOT Casual Killer Artie was himself, why not just be himself in this episode. I really did not like the acting disguise here, we would be subject to it again in TNOT Plague. I just feel its not necessary and a bit too "hammy" even for Artie. I feel that his magician from TNOT Amnesiac would have done better here, at least he would have understandably infiltrated the circus train, or even if he was Piano Joe from TNOT Cut-Throats, at least it would have been believable that he infiltrates the female Caberete act, and thus would have easily known Deidre's favorite dessert.

Kudos to T.C. Jones' Enzo. He was very believable as Mrs. Tyler. He played a very convincing woman. This episode could have been a big stinker if it weren't for his acting talents. I like the drag twist, but We've seen it as subplots, like in the James Bond Movie "Thunderball". A Spectre viilian disguises himself as his widow at his own funeral in the pre-titles sequence, However, as a main plot, it just doesn't fly no matter how many ingredients and padding you add to it.

And when you thought this mess was finally over with the final tag with Princess Silva, we get Jim and Artie playing cards. (Ho-hum! Couldn't we at least have pyts? No. Well please just end it already!).

For the 1st really disappointing episode this season 2 stars out of 5.

Herr Ostropolyer

"What's an Enzo?"- A very choked up Jim West will try to find the anwesr to that question as he hunts down an assassin with the strongest pair of hands in TNOT Running Death.
Go to Top of Page

SordoTheBandit
SS 1st assignment - desk job

479 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2006 :  16:15:38  Show Profile
Episode Highlights:

* Music by Jack Pleis, excellent as always.
* Ross Martin as Mr. Kingston is excellent.
* Ross Martin as the bald waiter is even better.
* Miss Tyler was really Enzo.
* Mr. West hits that wagon pretty hard as he gets off his horse.

Cherries Jubilee was just never the same to me after this episode. And you know, "Enzo" sounds more like a new all-purpose cleaner from Procter and Gamble. I think Enzo was ahead of his time. He could have fit in quite nicely in the Rocky Horror Picture Show. No one ever knew he opened up the first transgendered bar in Denver.

Over all, I enjoyed this episode if not for just the music, but would you want to play with cards from Jeff Smith? Did you remember the smirk on Arte's face at the end of the show? Did you get a closer look at West's chips? Hmmm.....

3 STARS

The Wild Wild West: "Escapist entertainment of the highest order."
Go to Top of Page

Dieter Epping
SS senior field agent

USA
6502 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2006 :  22:33:49  Show Profile
Love this action-packed episode. I ignore all the little complaints because it was full of great fights, pretty girls, and bizarre twists to the story!! Thats the way this show was made to be!! Robert Conrad and Ross Martin played their parts to their fullest!!! Five stars for me!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  17:26:32  Show Profile
Not more than from me. The best thing I can say about this tepid, padded episode is that it was The Very Last we ever had to endure from West's worst scriptwriter, the incomparable Edward J. Lakso.
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2006 :  16:35:27  Show Profile
The best thing I can say about this tepid, padded episode is that it was The Very Last we ever had to endure from West's worst scriptwriter, the incomparable Edward J. Lakso.

No, no, no. There's still another loser from Edward J. Lakso. What was I thinking? Wishful thinking, I suppose. So I have no best thing I can say about this episode.
Go to Top of Page

Dieter Epping
SS senior field agent

USA
6502 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  00:55:35  Show Profile
That's OK CCB. I don't mind that you didn't care for this one as much as me. However, last night I watched Watery Death, Feathered Fury, Sudden Death, Glowing Corpse, and Steel Assassin and loved all of them about the same. I have a certain special feeling for each episode I watch, and can't completely trash any of them for any little details which were not perfect. We all agree that WWW was the best action show of all time. My least favorite ones were without Artie---BUT---I loved Bleak Island and Sabitini Death without him anyway. Those ones were good even without Ross Martin.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000