New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dieter Epping
SS senior field agent

USA
6499 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2006 :  12:00:41  Show Profile
Isn't today Robert Conrad's Birthday? He is supposedly 71 now if the year is correct.

Sassy2
SS novice field agent

USA
1001 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2006 :  12:24:24  Show Profile
71 if you follow published bios, 76 if you believe the CHP.

"Time has little to do with infinity and jelly doughnuts."
Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2006 :  14:14:42  Show Profile
Happy Birthday

Born at 3:34pm-CST whatever the year.
Go to Top of Page

Dieter Epping
SS senior field agent

USA
6499 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2006 :  21:53:20  Show Profile
Because of the CHP you kind of wonder about his age. But when you look back at the Wild Wild West years, he did look more like 30 when the series began, not 35 like it would be if you believed the CHP reports. Who knows for sure? People often look far younger than their age, and people often change their birthdate records for numerous reasons. His wife apparently said his birth year was 1935 after his accident though. I believe that the most.
Go to Top of Page

Sassy2
SS novice field agent

USA
1001 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  09:38:51  Show Profile
How people react to this subject is just so strange.

Keeping it real, here: the CHP was looking at his drivers' license. Having a California drivers' license myself, I know first-hand that I had to submit a copy of my birth certificate to get it which was a surprise to me at the time because both Washington and Louisiana did not ask for it. Well, the state got my age from my birth certificate, and they have continuously reminded me of my age since then! grrrr... Of course, I used to joke that I got my Louisiana drivers' license from a cereal box, so maybe California just wanted to make sure that it wasn't true.

Anyway, a mistake on a major accident report can cause litigation to be dismissed. And mistakes on statements to the press in CA have been known to have serious repercussions to the department. (and that's an understatement. You're local, Dieter, so you know all this. I'm not trying to insult ya, just painting a picture for the non-locals...) Okay, add to this some things that other cast members said off the record prior to the extremely unfortunate occurance on HY 4, and the fact that public personalities often change personal data as they feel they need to to be successful, and I gotta buy the CHP number.

However, that said, one is as old as they feel and look. That's the bottom line.

So happy damn birthday, Conrad Robert Falk !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I luv ya, and I am eternally grateful for James T. West!

WooHoo!!!!

Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2006 :  17:47:07  Show Profile
When he cut his hair, Cangey phrased it that it matured him. I interputed that to mean, it aged him. I always thought that RC did not age well. However, if I add five years he didn't do to bad and he actually looked that age to me.

Sassy, was it always true that you had to present a birth certificate?
We have to do so now in Colorado. In fact, we have to present two types of ID but when I first got my license all I had to do was have my dad vouch for me. RC would have gotten his license sometime in the 50's, was it the same then? Or do you have to present a birth certificate each time you renew?
Go to Top of Page

Desert Roger
SS novice field agent

4349 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  07:07:49  Show Profile  Visit Desert Roger's Homepage
Belated Happy Birthday, Mister West.
Go to Top of Page

Sassy2
SS novice field agent

USA
1001 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  09:03:11  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by couldron
Sassy, was it always true that you had to present a birth certificate?
We have to do so now in Colorado. In fact, we have to present two types of ID but when I first got my license all I had to do was have my dad vouch for me. RC would have gotten his license sometime in the 50's, was it the same then? Or do you have to present a birth certificate each time you renew?

I moved to LA in 1995 and at that time they said I would have to reapply and retest something like every ten years which really freaked me out - who wants to go through that mess every ten years when I could get a new Louisiana license simply from a cereal box? However, even this has changed with the more recent advent of online renewals.

Caveat on the 1950s thing, tho'-- if one has moving violations, your license status changes. If one is a certain age, your license status changes. What is then required changes. Therefore, if only due to the march of time, anyone receiving a license in the 1950s would have likely gone through at least one of these processes fairly recently by now.

I actually have no moving violations since I moved here and I'm just 40, so I haven't personally experienced either. I'd prefer to keep it that way, too.

Bottom line? Well, argh. The coincidence of the exact five year difference that I heard multiple times from different cast members well before that unfortunate accident and the CHP number given after is pretty hard to write off. I do hang out with full-on peace officers at least twice a week, so maybe I'll see what's what on this (but I do know for sure that running any kind of check sans probable cause is definitely illegal.) But asking for the history of the CA DMV sure isn't.

BTW - I agree with Cang - the new 'doo did age RC. "4th season bad hair" was not a positive change, IMHO. But then, I'm not the one that had to live with the 'doo when I looked in the mirror.

Go to Top of Page

Bill N
Secret Service recruit

1 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  09:13:53  Show Profile
Where was he born? The 1930 Census is available. He might show on that if anyone is real interested.
Go to Top of Page

Dieter Epping
SS senior field agent

USA
6499 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  09:51:20  Show Profile
If I remember correctly, he was born in Chicago.
Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  11:15:48  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Dieter Epping

If I remember correctly, he was born in Chicago.

from IMBD

Canaryville, a section of Chicago populated mainly by Irish immigrants.
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2006 :  18:49:57  Show Profile
sassy2: who wants to go through that mess every ten years when I could get a new Louisiana license simply from a cereal box?

I wonder if that was a strategy employed by the LA state government to get more people to move and drive there. Or maybe in LA they take eating cereal as seriously as Mom tried to get me to.
Go to Top of Page

Sassy2
SS novice field agent

USA
1001 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  09:54:32  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bill N

Where was he born? The 1930 Census is available. He might show on that if anyone is real interested.

Excellent idea, Bill.

Does anyone have a current subscription to Ancestry.com? I let mine go a year or so ago, unfortunately.

Go to Top of Page

Dieter Epping
SS senior field agent

USA
6499 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2006 :  09:56:01  Show Profile
Has anyone looked up that 1930 census to see if RC was born that year yet? And I do wish Ross Martin a Happy Birthday also. I can't believe he would be 86 now and had left us 25 years ago already. He will always be young looking to me thanks to www.
Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  22:57:19  Show Profile
The 1930 census was available at the library but I could not find anything has anyone else tried?
Go to Top of Page

Sassy2
SS novice field agent

USA
1001 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  07:59:01  Show Profile
Yes, I ran a pretty good search.

Either RC's family was not in Chicago when the 1930 census was taken, or neither Falk or Falkowski were used as their last name.

All are possible.

Go to Top of Page

Sassy2
SS novice field agent

USA
1001 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  10:30:34  Show Profile
Whoops - never mind - Found it.

RC gave his family's address in Chicago in that Chicago Sun-Times article that ccb posted. (Thank you, ccb and RC.)

So using that, I just found RC's dad's family (Leonard Falk) in the 1930 census.

The apparent relative youth of Leonard Falk when he became a father fooled me the first time I went through the records.

Here's the family record:

Name - Estimated Birth Year - Birthplace - Relation

Emil Falk - abt 1886 - Illinois - Head
Minnie Falk - abt 1889 - - Wife
August Falk - abt 1909 - - Son
Frederick Falk - abt 1914 - - Son
Leonard Falk - abt 1918 - - Son
Dolores Falk - abt 1922 - - Daughter
Kenneth Falk - abt 1926 - - Son
Coletta Falk - abt 1929 - - Daughter
Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  18:59:31  Show Profile
Sassy

Help me out here.

Lenord Falk was born 1918 which would make him twelve in 1930 and seventeen in 1935. It is possible to father a child at twelve but I find that unlikely and just when I thought I had it all figured out
Go to Top of Page

Dieter Epping
SS senior field agent

USA
6499 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2006 :  19:24:07  Show Profile
Which now brings me back to my original opinion that Conrad Robert Falk was probably born in '35.
Go to Top of Page

Sassy2
SS novice field agent

USA
1001 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  12:21:01  Show Profile
My conclusion is that RC could possibly have been born anytime between 9 months after the date it became biologically possible for Leonard Falk to be a father, and the advertised date.

Other stranger things have happened in families - like sons actually being brothers, and so on. Many combinations are possible when you look at the lengths families went to historically to avoid stigmas.

(You run into these weird things all the time when you do genealogy, believe me.)

So , IMHO, this information is nothing definitive, and in fact it opens up a bunch more possibilities. I'm personally feeling like it's none of my damn business and am pretty much through with it unless RC gives out more information, like that address, publicly.

Go to Top of Page

Sassy2
SS novice field agent

USA
1001 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  12:41:02  Show Profile
In fact, I just realized this --

Mr. Leonard Falk was living with his father's family in 1930. Yet RC lists that same address as where HE grew up. So RC was raised by ... his grandparents? Not his parents in their own home?

See? Genealogy is never straight forward.

Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  20:23:40  Show Profile
quote:
So , IMHO, this information is nothing definitive, and in fact it opens up a bunch more possibilities. I'm personally feeling like it's none of my damn business and am pretty much through with it unless RC gives out more information, like that address, publicly.

I think you are right and then there is my but...

According to the bio in IMBD he lived with his grandmother after his mother remarried. I have heard little about his mother.

You are so right about Genealogy never being straight forward.

My mother thought she was born in one year only to find out that her mother had died two years before that. It threw her for a loop. My father had two birth dates listed on his birth certificate. Nope not straight forward.

Go to Top of Page

Sassy2
SS novice field agent

USA
1001 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2006 :  07:22:44  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by couldron
According to the bio in IMBD he lived with his grandmother after his mother remarried. I have heard little about his mother.

I think the same IMDb bio says the last name was Falkowski -- it may have been at one time, but when RC was born, the family name was Falk per the census. (Like so many of us, it was probably "cropped" at Ellis Island.) So how literal can one take that bio? Who wrote that one, anyway? IMDB used to list the bio author at one time...

Anyway, just advocating the 'grain of salt' thing.

quote:
My mother thought she was born in one year only to find out that her mother had died two years before that. It threw her for a loop. My father had two birth dates listed on his birth certificate. Nope not straight forward.

Wow! And that's back only one generation for you! I have to go back to grandparents to get the first weirdness record-wise. My grandfather seems to have had a twin(?) sister that lived until at least 6 years old (1920 census records) that NO ONE knows anything about. Still working that one out...

The household habits of humans are kinda crazy, eh?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000