WQ 209: The Other Well-Read Agent
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  15:23:27  Show Profile
By his partner's admiring acknowledgement, Artemus was a walking encyclopedia. Still, Mr. West was no illiterate.

Judging by his comments throughout the series, which books and authors do we know he read?

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2006 :  23:24:17  Show Profile
Edgar Allan Poe
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  11:36:35  Show Profile
couldron: Edgar Allan Poe

Good for you! And now what of the others—books, authors, or fellow contestants?

Go to Top of Page

lleroy
SS 1st assignment - desk job

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2006 :  13:04:05  Show Profile
This wasn't a comment, but we saw him reading something called Thrilling Cowboy Stories (in Turncoat) and apparently enjoying it.

Leslie
Go to Top of Page

CharlieTobin
SS spy school graduate

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2006 :  12:19:52  Show Profile
It's also apparent that, according to Miguelito's Revenge, he has selective knowledge of the Bible, as he referred to Samson's fate (book of Judges, chapter 16) when this episode's Delilah offers him a "first-class haircut".

Good quiz! This topic is a tricky one...

"Eyes aren't enough these days!"
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2006 :  16:17:26  Show Profile
Congratulations to Mary, Leslie, and Charlie on a three-way tie for last weekend's Henrietta, verifying Mr. West's eclectic taste in reading.

The following, I am sure, is not comprehensive, and I invite others to add to my list. Mr. West reads from, quotes, or refers to—

1. Shakespeare's As You Like It: Jacque's speech, "All the world's a stage" ("The Night of the Casual Killer," Act III);
2. Le Comte de Chateubriand ("The Deadly Bed," Act II);
3. A book on Chinese tongs, from which West reads to Artemus about The Order of the Crimson Dragon ("The Dragon Screamed," Act I);
4. Works on archaeology, surely assigned by Professor Robie ("The Druid's Blood," teaser);
5. The diary of Caroline Day, from which Artie reads excerpts ("The Man-Eating House");
6. Smatterings of the Bible: Isaiah 14: "How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer" ("The Lord of Limbo," Act III), also knowing who were the Ishmaelites (from The Book of Genesis; "The Death Maker," Act II) and Samson and Delilah (Sgt. Tobin's vote);
7. The mysteries of Edward Baring ("The Tottering Tontine," Act II);
8. Edgar Allan Poe ("The Deadly Blossom," Act II; thus, Mary);
9. Legends of Lycanthropy, though he needs Artie to explain to him what that's about ("The Wolf," Act II);
10. Thrilling Western Stories ("The Turncoat," teaser—with thanks to Leslie for this gem);
11. Oliver Goldsmith's The Good–Natured Man in "The Diva" (tag), so identified by Ellen Collingwood (or is it Collingswood?).

It's spring. This weekend curl up with a good book—but don't forget to play the next quiz, coming right up.
Go to Top of Page

Silver
SS novice field agent

882 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2006 :  08:02:46  Show Profile
I just wanted to be sure our quizmaster knows that I continue to thoroughly enjoy every quiz, and certainly to be encouraged by them to keep on rewatching. Unfortunately I have very few episodes after the second season, and not all of that. This means many quizes are a learning experience rather than a test of knowledge for me.

Please, please, please keep it up!

Silver
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2006 :  19:50:38  Show Profile
Silver: Please, please, please keep it up!

Well, since you put it that way—Okay.
Go to Top of Page

Desert Roger
SS novice field agent

4360 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  19:16:00  Show Profile  Visit Desert Roger's Homepage
"The Matching Set" by Edward Baring in The Night Of The Tottering Tontine. (The fictional book where Dexter got the idea of murdering his own brother to develop an alibi). By the way...Jim read that book too.
Go to Top of Page

Desert Roger
SS novice field agent

4360 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  19:17:10  Show Profile  Visit Desert Roger's Homepage
whoops...

I meant that both Jim and Artie had apparently read "The Matching Set" by Edward Baring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000