211: The Night of the Prototype
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2006 :  21:23:34  Show Profile
In the view of some television historians, The Wild Wild West was anticipated, not merely by the Bond movies of the 1960s, but also by another television series of the 1950s.

1. Name that earlier series, and
2. The one of its stars who later appeared in three episodes of The Wild Wild West.

orrin cobb
SS novice field agent

USA
959 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  09:28:10  Show Profile  Visit orrin cobb's Homepage
ccb: Could this be the 1953 series "Cowboy G-men" starring Russell Hayden and Jackie Coogan, who appeared in 3 WWW episodes?
Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  09:42:48  Show Profile
Never even heard of that one orrin.

My first thought was Hawaiian Eye but then I thought of I Spy it doesn't fit neither does Man from Uncle.

I hadn't realized that Jackie Coogan has appeared in three
The Night of the Winged Terror: Part 1 & 2 Mayor Cecil Pudney

The Night of the Cutthroats Sheriff Koster
Go to Top of Page

Silver
SS novice field agent

882 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  09:51:23  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by couldron

Hmm, well, it depends on how you look at the word 'episode'. Part 1 & 2 could, technically, be considered two episodes, couldn't it? Or is there another ... adventure? in which he appeared?
Go to Top of Page

orrin cobb
SS novice field agent

USA
959 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  10:04:53  Show Profile  Visit orrin cobb's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by couldron

Never even heard of that one orrin.

My first thought was Hawaiian Eye but then I thought of I Spy it doesn't fit neither does Man from Uncle.

Just these three episodes that I can find.
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  10:20:46  Show Profile
There's no reason to prolong this weekend's quiz. orrin's nailed it.

The Wild Wild West was, in fact, preceded thirteen years previously by Cowboy G–Men, starring Russell Hayden as Pat Gallagher and Jackie Coogan as Stoney Crockett. Unlike West, the earlier series was played fairly straight, not as a spoof, and was set a decade later (the 18880s). Syndicated and distributed nationally to local outlets by Telemount Mutual, its 39 episodes ran from 09/13/1952 through 06/13/1953. Anticipating color broadcasting, the show was filmed in color; its last 13 episodes were even filmed in 3–D (the short–lived movie craze of the day).

Coogan, of course, later guest–starred in West's "The Night of the Cutthroats" (1967) and "The Winged Terror," Parts I and II (1969). While the latter may be counted as one show, Coogan appeared in the teasers for both episodes in two different weeks.

It's fun to think of other, earlier series on which West drew for some of its components. One is Have Gun–Will Travel, whose main character Paladin was a tough yet cultured hombre who, when not roaming the frontier, enjoyed the grand life at San Francisco's Hotel Carlton (early, non-mobile Wanderer). Another is Maverick, which quickly veered into comedy and con–artistry through the brilliance of James Garner.

Silver and couldron can enjoy their Honorable Mentions, and orrin his Anabella. And I hope everyone enjoys a happy weekend.
Go to Top of Page

orrin cobb
SS novice field agent

USA
959 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  10:34:41  Show Profile  Visit orrin cobb's Homepage

[/quote]
It's fun to think of other, earlier series on which West drew for some of its components. One is Have Gun–Will Travel, whose main character Paladin was a tough yet cultured hombre who, when not roaming the frontier, enjoyed the grand life at San Francisco's Hotel Carlton (early, non-mobile Wanderer). Another is Maverick, which quickly veered

[/quote]

I also can see precedence in Dale Robertson's special agent Jim Hardie in "Tales of Wells Fargo", the title sequence of which, by the way, features pilot episode "Wanderer" Sierra No. 3 chugging around the bend.
Go to Top of Page

Raven Knight
Secret Service recruit

8 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  11:17:50  Show Profile
An interesting question. Another precursor that occurs to me is "Yancy Derringer", a 1950's western about a suave secret agent working for the city of New Orleans. He operated off of a riverboat and carried a derringer pistol in his hat.
Go to Top of Page

orrin cobb
SS novice field agent

USA
959 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  11:54:17  Show Profile  Visit orrin cobb's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Raven Knight

An interesting question. Another precursor that occurs to me is "Yancy Derringer", a 1950's western about a suave secret agent working for the city of New Orleans. He operated off of a riverboat and carried a derringer pistol in his hat.

Would love to see that show again. Anbody see it available on video? Yancy's sidekick was a huge Indian named Pahoo who carried a sawed-off shotgun over his shoulder.

And another series comtemporary to WWW, Chuck Connors in "Branded", a disgraced court-martialed US Armt officer working as a secret agent for President Grant, and meeting up with him occasionally in Grant's private railroad car. Sound a little familiar? (TNOT Inferno!)
Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  14:18:39  Show Profile
quote:
Have Gun–Will Travel

I never understood the title. First of all I thought it was half gun will travel. I wondered how half a gun was any good

Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  18:10:11  Show Profile
Raven Knight: Another precursor that occurs to me is "Yancy Derringer", a 1950's western about a suave secret agent working for the city of New Orleans. He operated off of a riverboat and carried a derringer pistol in his hat.

Yes! Yes! It ran on CBS for only a year ('58–'59, I think), starring Jock Mahoney, a stunt-man and former movie Tarzan. Yancey Derringer was another post-Civil War dandy/tough guy: a former military officer who worked out of New Orleans as a special agent for the Governor. The title sequence for each episode opened with the series' own heraldic theme, as Mahoney, attired in an icre-cream suit and broad Panama/gambler's hat, strode up to a gaslight-post and suavely lit a cheroot.

orrin cobb: Would love to see that show again. Anbody see it available on video? Yancy's sidekick was a huge Indian named Pahoo who carried a sawed-off shotgun over his shoulder.

orrin: I've seen the series announced in classic movie/TV catalogue. While I can't vouch for the following company, here's an address that turned up after Googling:

http://bygonevideo.com/

Pahoo was played by X Brands. (What a name!) A very early childhood is of a Derringer episode featuring a bad guy wearing clown makeup. Scared me spitless.
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  18:19:46  Show Profile
couldron: I never understood the title. First of all I thought it was half gun will travel. I wondered how half a gun was any good

LOL! You'll recall that Paladin handed out, or mailed, his business card:

HAVE GUN — WILL TRAVEL
WIRE PALADIN SAN FRANCISCO

In this day of email and internet, few remember what it meant to "wire" something: namely to send a purchase (like flowers) or a message (Western Union) by telegraph.

The creators of Have Gun, Herb Meadow and Sam Rolfe, originally intended their knight-errant hero to be a modern contemporary. This, however, was the late '50s, when TV westerns were all the rage; CBS asked them if they would set the show in the late nineteenth century instead. Sure, said Rolfe, but one question: How will Paladin's clients wire him in time to secure his services and deal with their problem promptly? Simple, said a CBS executive: You'll simply dissolve from one scene immediately into another.

Which is exactly what they did.
Go to Top of Page

orrin cobb
SS novice field agent

USA
959 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2006 :  18:27:39  Show Profile  Visit orrin cobb's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by ccb

Raven Knight: Another precursor that occurs to me is "Yancy Derringer", a 1950's western about a suave secret agent working for the city of New Orleans. He operated off of a riverboat and carried a derringer pistol in his hat.

Yes! Yes! It ran on CBS for only a year ('58–'59, I think), starring Jock Mahoney, a stunt-man and former movie Tarzan. Yancey Derringer was another post-Civil War dandy/tough guy: a former military officer who worked out of New Orleans as a special agent for the Governor. The title sequence for each episode opened with the series' own heraldic theme, as Mahoney, attired in an icre-cream suit and broad Panama/gambler's hat, strode up to a gaslight-post and suavely lit a cheroot.

orrin cobb: Would love to see that show again. Anbody see it available on video? Yancy's sidekick was a huge Indian named Pahoo who carried a sawed-off shotgun over his shoulder.

orrin: I've seen the series announced in classic movie/TV catalogue. While I can't vouch for the following company, here's an address that turned up after Googling:

http://bygonevideo.com/

Pahoo was played by X Brands. (What a name!) A very early childhood is of a Derringer episode featuring a bad guy wearing clown makeup. Scared me spitless.

ccb:
Jock Mahoney was also the father of actress Sally Fields. Brian Kieth played a fictious version of him (character name "Jocko") in Burt Reynolds stuntman film "Hooper".

A classic scene from my childhood memory was Pahoo blowing someone away through a bay window with his shotgun. Quite an impression on a young kid that I was.

There also was a steamboat featured in "Yancy Derringer" called the "Sultana". It was a static prop in the lagoon at Universal Studios (and still was in the 1970s when I visited). It was also featured in the early 1960s TV show "Riverboat" starring Darren McGavin and Burt Reynolds. The name of the steamboat- the "Enterprise"!

I also recall that the main character in the show "Colt 45" was a government agent posing as a gun salesman for Colt, if I remember correctly.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000