212: The Cave
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2006 :  21:09:39  Show Profile
A funny thing happened on the way to posting this weekend's Quiz. One of our new regulars gave me a better idea than the one I was fumbling with.

CLL: I view 'Undead' with a nostalgic eye and just love seeing the old Republic Studios 'cave set' during the opening scenes. Those plaster rocks are old Hollywood incarnate -- used in many old 'B' movie westerns in the 50's, and to see Jim West staking out his prey in the old haunt is really classic in the literal sense. How many other WWW episodes this set was used I'm not even sure. Anyone have a notion?

Excellent question, CLL. This weekend, let's find out.

How many other WWW episodes used the old Republic Studio plaster–walled cave interior?

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2006 :  00:36:29  Show Profile
That was a cave?

O.K I thought it was suppose to be in the swamp. So what do I know.

Cave scenes
Inferno
Thousand Eyes
Casual Killer
Returning Dead
Tottering Tontine
Brain
Wolf
Montezuma's Hordes
Deadly Bubble
Deadly Blossom
Bubbling Death
Dr. Loveless Died
Falcon
Legion of Death
Turncoat
Spanish Curse
Fire and Brimstone
Plague

All of these had a cave. Alright Legion of Death has a passge but I include it anway. I don't know if anyone is the set you are referring to.
Go to Top of Page

Silver
SS novice field agent

882 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2006 :  06:15:16  Show Profile
I can't identify which of the ones couldron has listed is the episode I have in mind - the one where the boys fight bad guys in mines under a town, Artie goes for a doctor for the man the bad guys have imprisoned in the mines, and Artie ends up playing Gen. Robert E Lee to relieve an old soldier guarding a Confederate cache in the mine, who doesn't realize the Civil War is over. This has always been one of the scenes that has struck me the most deeply, I think because of the extreme compassion Artie displays, not only as Gen. Lee, but with the admiration as well of an honorable soldier toward a brave former opponent.

Any help with this title is welcome.
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2006 :  06:39:52  Show Profile
Silver: That's "The Night of Fire and Brimstone." And I agree with you: That's one of the series' most touching scenes, well played by both Ross Martin and Dabbs Greer.
Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2006 :  09:40:44  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ccb

Silver: That's "The Night of Fire and Brimstone." And I agree with you: That's one of the series' most touching scenes, well played by both Ross Martin and Dabbs Greer.

Interesting Dabbs Greer is also in Simion Terror but not so touching. Simion Terror's set of the cage I believe is the same set they used in Undead for the underground swamp.
Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2006 :  16:03:39  Show Profile
Where is everyone?

I know that I didn't name every cave and I know that the ones I did name were not right so HELP! Lets go spelunking
Go to Top of Page

Redhead1617
SS novice field agent

USA
1393 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2006 :  16:08:35  Show Profile  Visit Redhead1617's Homepage
I thought you got them all well, all the ones I can remember off hand any way

~Red

*sigh...where's MY Ross Martin?
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2006 :  09:34:49  Show Profile
For what it's worth, though Mary has launched us right well, she hasn't made a perfect score. And some of the ones she suggests don't qualify.

Please continue—as she herself invites you to.
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2006 :  18:09:41  Show Profile
An unfinished feather from two weeks ago:

With honorable mentions to Red and Silver—colorful crew, eh?—that Anabella goes to couldron with a nearly complete listing. The only ones I don't see on her list that would qualify are "The Human Trigger" (especially Act III) and "The Arrow" (ditto).

My only quibble with her list is "The Returning Dead." That doesn't appear to have been the Republic set. To my eye it looks real—inside Bronson's Canyon. But having never set foot in the original, I can't be sure. If that's not a real cave in the teaser, then Al Heschong missed an Emmy that surely belonged to him!
Go to Top of Page

Silver
SS novice field agent

882 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  11:57:57  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ccb

An unfinished feather from two weeks ago:

With honorable mentions to Red and Silver—colorful crew, eh

Too bad Blue didn't earn a feather this time, too!

Silver
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000