Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Wild Wild West - Chat and Play
 Wild Wild West General Discussion Board
 Season 3 Episode Reviews (Spoiler Warning)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Herr Ostropolyer
SS 1st assignment - desk job

USA
209 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2006 :  13:15:30  Show Profile
Hey All,
Wow, I can't believe we reached the end of another season of reviews. I'll admit that my heart is a little heavy because I really disliked many episodes of Season 4. Season 3, on the other hand was a very different season from those that proceeded it. Gone were the sci-fi and fantasy plots. However, with the new "Western" plots came a realism that wasn't existant in the former seasons.

James West was no longer a Superman that depended upon his fists and his gadgets to get him out of any situation. The team dynamic was set, and both agents would have a lead that seperated them, but that showcased their talents until they meet again to defeat their advisaries. The stakes were high and our agents would be injured and shot countless times. However, with the loss of sci/fi and an aim for realism, our heroes went on some pretty mundane adventures. Their were some stories here that were rehashes, and some were overpadded. (Watch out for anything written by Edward Lasko). However, the 3rd season was not a failure by any means and its episodes are a welcome addition to our favorite tv show!

My Criteria
1 star= awful
2 stars= rushed
3 stars= Some plot holes
4 stars= One Problem
5 stars= Excellent

TNOT Jack O' Diamonds: 3 out of 5 stars
This episode was an epic. A true Western on the small screen with fantastic offset/natural vistas. However, it is a basic chase plot of whose got the horse, which could have been more tension filled if Mexico had been more threatening for not getting the Jack O' Diamonds.

TNOT Assassin: 3 out of 5 stars
Our boys are unofficaily trying to solve an assassination attempt (Thankfully not of Grant this time.)Robert Logia's Barbosa is far more threatening than his Warren Trevor from 1st season's TNOT Sudden Death. Low marks though that it is really obvious that Barbosa is the villan, and that Lt. Ramirez's "strange women" routine harms rather than helps the pace of the plot.

TNOT Firebrand: 2 1/2 out of 5 stars
Ridiculous plot in which ego maniacal Sean O'Reilly, a common bushwhacker plans on taking over Canada and the US alike by raiding local forts. Lana Wood's Vixen is far better than her Avery from season 4's TNOT Plague, However she gets off far too easily from nearly killing Jim. The awesome dynamite fight in the last act cannot save the disappointing death "fall" of O'reiily.

TNOT Bubbling Death: 4 out of 5 stars
A personal favorite because it harkens back to the days of ol' in which Jim and Artie are gadget fanatics. Excellent "Mission Impossible" like plot in which our heroes must break into an impenetrable fortress to rescue the Constitution from Sulphuric oblivion. The final plot twist of Silas Grisby as the main villain is weak and loses a star for this treat.

TNOT Hangman: 4 out of 5 stars
Wonderful plot that tests our heroes meddle in an all-too easily open and shut muder case. Harry Dean Statton's Lucius Brand is truly quarky and the audience realy doesn't know if he's telling the truth or not. One star away though, because I believe this matter would have realistically been handled by the local sheriff and not Washington's finest. Lucius should thank his lucky stars that our boys decided to intervene.

TNOT Cut-Throats: 2 out of 5 stars
Very ho-hum over padded Lasko script. With our boys saving a town that no one wants saved from bushwhackers. Only thing going for it is the stuntmen's workout in the seige of the town, but we can see stuff like this on "Gun Smoke". Plus, Artie's Piano Joe disguise is nothing more than a giggle for the tag scene. "Anyone that hired you as a piano player must be evil!" (Yawn!)

TNO Montezuma's Hordes: 4 out of 5 stars
Our producers are truly ahead of their time giving us an Indiana Jones plot almost 20 years before that movie series graced the silver screen. Ray Walston and Jack Elam truly save this episode acting wise. And Carla Borelli's Aztec Godess can be friends with me anyday. LOL! Also noteworthy is the return of Artie's Mojave Mike like trail guide character.

TNOT Amnesiac: 2 1/2 out of 5 stars
Usual hero has amnesia cliche plot. TV vets Ed Asner and Kevin Hagen can't save this turkey. Especially the added on threat of Furman Crotty. "I want to rid the world of these dreggs for my army of automatons". (Hey let's try to make this a sci/fi plot.) No wonder this episode was buried toward the end of the season. Artie's magician disguise is pointless.

TNT Dr. Loveless Died: 4 out of 5 stars
The last truly great Loveless episode. Honestly, where could the West/Loveless rivalry go. Loveless is desperate, and truly wants to destroy West's credibility by giving the agent a labotomy. Artie's "date" with Triste is truly priceless.

TNOT Samurai: 4 out of 5 stars
Excellent take on the old Charlie Chan mysteries where no one can be trusted and everyone is a suspect. The main heavy again is very predicatable, however Jim and Artie are top notch. And another rare episode where Artie stays in one disguise thoughout the entire episode. Kudos to Shimon Wincleberg whose talents blossomed here rather than his 2nd season attempt:TNOT Infernal Machine.

TNOT Arrow: 3 out of 5 stars
Very questionable plot in which Grant sends our boys on a mission to prevent his school rival from attaining the Presidency on a sea of Indian blood. The heavies aren't that threatening and Aimee Baldwin as the villainess is too predicatable. (She is the woman's voice that allows the Indians to ambush the fort.) Arrow is full of very quotable lines from Artie and his very character driven disguises.

TNOT Circus of Death: 2 out of 5 stars
A rehash of TNOT Sudden Death. Re-hashes do not a good WWW Make. Fighting a lion instead of an alligator, being burned instead of crushed to death, and a twist that the legitimate bank owner's wife is behind the scheme earns this turkey its poor status.

TNOT Legion of Death: 4 out of 5 stars
Truly chilling plot in which a legitimate militia is used to instill fear in the masses. Critics feel that the stars are doing charactures of their characters, but its good that the stars are enjoying their outtings in this suspense filled plot. Look for one of the sexiest kisses in the series here!

TNOT Falcon: 4 out of 5 stars
Yes, its nothing more than WWW does an episode of "Batman"(An A-lister as the heavy, The villian has a falcon theme, a beautiful moll, and new gadgets.),but it works. Duval is excellent as Humpries,and the question remains who is the Falcon? My money is on Lana Benson. And what ever became of the second Falcon cannon?

TNOT Running Death: 2 out of 5 stars
Overpadded West does Agatha Christie. The show already succeded with this kind of plot last season with TNOT Tottering Tontine. Jim pointlessly risks his own life to find who has the strongest pair of hands so that we have many a fight, but many a fight without a plot does not a good WWW make. It has a nice twist, but it takes far too long to get there. And when you think the show is over, there is a second tag sequence. (Yawn!)

TNOT Turn Coat: 4 out of 5 stars
Excellent mcguffin plot that uses the rarity of Jim as a rogue agent to complete his misson, Jim puching out Artie is nothing short of priceless! I Just didn't like how the poison gas was "neutralized" for the safety of the nearby locals.

TNOT Iron Fist: 2 out of 5 stars
Spock's dad can't even save this Turkey. When West goes Russian beware: dreadful plot will follow. The Heavies are cowboys and/or greedy farm hands that come off more camp than threatening. Sadly, the only interesting character, Draja is very dull indeed.

TNOT Headless Woman: 2 out of 5 stars
Yes, It's the big one folks. Our heroes must defeat the overpowering threat of ...bo weavils. Truly a stinker that doesn't utilize its stellar cast. WWW can do a lot better.

TNOT Underground Terror: 5 out of 5 stars
One of the few masterpieces this season. Mysterious New Orleans
atmosphere with an old Civil War conspiracy makes a brilliant www. Always a plus when our heroes have to work unoffically. Nehimiah Persoff and Jeff Corey outdue themselves. The twist is a doozy.

TNOT Vipers: 3 out of 5 stars
Nick Adams is wonderful here, but relying on the stunt team's acting for tension makes the West/Klaxon fight dull! Artie is disguised as a real life person. However, Shiny Green Sequened masks are very laughable and unnecessary. We had a similar plot handled far better already this season with TNOT Legion of Death.

TNOT Death Masks: 5 out of 5 stars
An epic episode in which Jim is at his most vulnerable. The creepy atmosphere of Paradox alone is worth the price of admission. Kudos to Milton Selzer, who made Stark and his revenge so believable. If only we could have more episodes like this one.

TNOT Undead: 4 out of 5 stars
Voodoo, Zombies, and Hurd Hadfield are back. Yes, Last Season's TNOT Man-Eating House was far superior, but Undead is filled with great action as well as Artie as his most Machiavelian, manipulating
Philah to destroy Articulus is fun and refreshing to the usual assassinate Grant plot. Truly reminescent of the 2nd season.

TNOT Simian Terror: 2 out of 5 stars
Disappointing take on "Murders in the Rue Morgue" and/or "The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde". With very unlikable characters all around, why does the audience bother with this stinker. A loss of sci-fi for realism ruins this episode. Plus, the truly Gothic atmosphere is ruined by the guy in the ape suit.

TNOT Death-Maker: 4 out of 5 stars
The best of all the season enders. Yes, its an Assassinate Grant plot, but it is the only one for this season, so it has a freshness in that it is a "big one" plot, instead of the mundane. Dane could have gunned down Grant's train easily if it were not for our boys, who have to count on their wits instead of gadgets in this very "Mission Impossible" like plot. Its no wonder that Bruce Lansbury went on to produce "Mission Impossible" when WWW ran its run.

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  09:05:32  Show Profile

TNOT Jack O' Diamonds:

TNOT Assassin:

TNOT Firebrand:
TNOT Bubbling Death
TNOT Hangman:
TNOT Cut-Throats:
TNO Montezuma's Hordes
TNOT Amnesiac:
TNT Dr. Loveless Died:
TNOT Samurai:
TNOT Arrow:
TNOT Circus of Death:
TNOT Legion of Death:
TNOT Falcon:
TNOT Running Death:
TNOT Turn Coat:
TNOT Iron Fist:
TNOT Headless Woman:
TNOT Underground Terror:
TNOT Vipers:
TNOT Death Masks:
TNOT Undead:
TNOT Simian Terror:
TNOT Death-Maker:
Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  09:22:54  Show Profile
Great reviews and a nice recap of the third season. I have posted all the episodes so they can be cut and pasted. I think it would be fun to list them best to the worst. I wonder when the ratings are compiled how they will compare. I will post the results in three weeks when I return to the computer Here goes.
1. TNOT Death Masks:
2. TNOT Legion of Death:
3. TNOT Jack O' Diamonds:
4. TNOT Turn Coat:
5. TNOT Vipers:
6. TNOT Assassin:
7. TNOT Death-Maker:
8. TNOT Underground Terror:
9. TNOT Running Death:
10. TNOT Falcon:
11. TNOT Amnesiac:
12. TNOT Firebrand:
13. TNOT Hangman:
14. TNO Montezuma's Hordes
15. TNT Dr. Loveless Died:
16. TNOT Undead:
17. TNOT Samurai:
18. TNOT Bubbling Death
19. TNOT Circus of Death:
20. TNOT Arrow:
21. TNOT Iron Fist:
22. TNOT Cut-Throats:
23. TNOT Headless Woman:
24. TNOT Simian Terror:

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000