Review of the Doomsday Formula
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

couldron
SS novice field agent

1444 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2006 :  09:28:33  Show Profile

Not a favorite of mine. It is just a bad redo of the Wizard Shook the Earth. I always enjoy episodes that give the character a past. West refers to his days in the civil war when he recalls the drink Shenandoah was a drink favored by the Seventh Calvary. The damsel in distress was inventive and helps to give this episode a two out of five rating.

Herr Ostropolyer
SS 1st assignment - desk job

USA
209 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2006 :  16:25:24  Show Profile
Hey All,
I enjoyed TNOT Doomsday Formula because it is more of a guilty pleasure for me because I really enjoy Artie throughout this episode, which is a plus in itself, because we would not have his presence in later episodes this season.

I know that Jim is up to his usual stealth and relies on gadgets and fists to overcome Kroll and his thugs, but its Artie's over the top Arabian Mr. Ortuglo(sp?) that takes the cake. Yes, its Artie's over the top Ortuglo that causes many of the tension filled scenes here, but you can tell that RM is truly enjoying himself. It is a very Artie intensive episode that showcases his talents very much like second season's TNOT Big Blast, thus a pleasure for me. Plus, I love how Artie almost got caught because his mini-record player got stuck.

True, TNOT Doomsday Formulais a re-hash of TNT Wizard Shook the Earth(The deadly explosive, but without the excellent Loveless)and TNOT Death-Maker(Jim hitches a ride to an impenetrable fortress), but I do enjoy Kevin McCarthy's Kroll. He is truly a sleazy war profiteer who would sell his country to the highest bidder, which embodies the "realistic" villains our heroes should be crossing swords with instead of bushwhackers, cut-throats, and rowdy cowboys. I also like his Kroll's very Bondian fist cane.

I really don't like the Batman like music for the 4th season fights, The stuntman covering for RC as he rescues Whitey's damsel from the flames of oblivion is lackluster, and I knew that the Dr. was going to bite it by the end of the episode, thus no one gets the dreaded doomsday formula. Also, besides the threat of the deadly explosive, the gatling gun practice room trap is pretty mundane.

2 1/2 stars out of 5! Its not bad, but I'd sooner watch a better episode first!

Herr Ostropolyer

Mr. Ortuglo's song in TNOT Doomsday Formula would be quoted here, but alas I found it unpronoucable and very hard to spell!
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3908 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2006 :  23:31:53  Show Profile
Mr. Ortuglo's song in TNOT Doomsday Formula would be quoted here, but alas I found it unpronoucable and very hard to spell!

Ooh-ronna-vay-ee-ah! Ooh-ronna-vay-ee-ah! Ooh-ronna-vay-ee-ah!

For me, the quality of this episode cuts right down the middle. On one side you have plenty of action for the now reined-in Bob Conrad (so it's Jimmy George doing the serious stunt-work, which is impressive), and Ross Martin having a ball while hamming it up. We like him so much that we follow him straight over the top. Most of what I enjoy in this episode are very small things: the rare, first–season shot of West leading his horse out of the stable–car, saddling up, and riding away from the train; the quick view of the varnish exterior, with the agents at the window; the business about the "Shenandoahs."

On the other side, it's a lame story built on the weariest of clichés: kidnap the daughter to force information from the father. The people involved are sympathetic, but, since we don't know them, it's hard for us to care. The explosive MacGuffin is, as everyone recognizes, a retread from "The Wizard Shook the Earth." In that episode, however, it served to introduce us to Dr. Loveless/Michael Dunn. Kevin McCarthy is a fine actor, but his character is no Loveless.

The music for this episode, by Robert Prince, is weirder than bat–guano. I suspect that most will either love or despise it. Some cues, like the testing of the formula in Act I, are nicely atmospheric weavings around Markowitz's "little West" theme. Others, like the boogie-woogie organ underneath Act I's title cards, are so outrageously out-of-place that they're toe-tappingly awful.

Straight down the middle: 1/2

By the way, in reviewing "The Fugutives" I forgot to mention that in the fourth season we lose the trademark episode panels as background for the end-titles. That, plus the scrunched-in lettering, was done for purely commercial reasons, and I don't like it one bit.
Go to Top of Page

Cindylover1969
SS novice field agent

United Kingdom
1271 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2006 :  00:28:50  Show Profile  Visit Cindylover1969's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by ccb
By the way, in reviewing "The Fugutives" I forgot to mention that in the fourth season we lose the trademark episode panels as background for the end-titles. That, plus the scrunched-in lettering, was done for purely commercial reasons, and I don't like it one bit.

None of us do, I bet. I have to imagine it's there for those episodes... and the loss of the blue background for the Michael Garrison/CBS credits (as seen on "The Night Of The Diva") is the bitter icing on the cake. Thank goodness it was only for that season.

"Make them both as uncomfortable as possible." - Marquis de la Mer, "The Night of the Watery Death"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000