Review the Night of the Egyptian Queen
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

couldron
SS novice field agent

1444 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2006 :  22:41:51  Show Profile

Was the series trying to put something wild back into the series with those yellow costumes or were they just to hide the stuntmen? I donít care because I like the bug eyed appearance. We are taken on a lot of twist and turns with the final villain not strong and menacing but a whimpering representative of the Egyptian government. I felt like I have seen this episode before at least parts of it. The idea of a hidden ancient treasure was covered in Montezumaís Hordes. The treasurer pouring all over the fallen villain was done in Underground Terror. Ready-Made Corpse also had a blind alley with a hidden door that a picture of a woman. What episodes did Jim run out of air? Lets see there was Glowing Corpse and Infernal Machine. I wish they would have had that alarm in other episodes. I donít even think the knight even showed up in another episode. The bar was torn apart, according to Susan Keslerís book by twenty-five stuntmenís best stunts. I have to agree with her that this is an action packed episode but it just doesnít make it for me.

out of five

Herr Ostropolyer
SS 1st assignment - desk job

USA
209 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2006 :  07:49:44  Show Profile
Hey couldron,

Welcome back, and excellent review as always! This is very interesting because I have been wrapped up in watching the superior season 1 episodes in the new dvd season set, that it is kind of awkward to have to review for the lackluster 4th. However, TNOT Egyptian queen is a guilty pleasure of mine because I saw this one before any of the episodes that you compared it to due to it being on the July 4th TNT "Wild Wild West Marathon" way back in 1999(When I started to tape our favorite series), and that's probably why it shines for me.

The highpoints include: an episode that is overflowing with action, espionage, and mystery. The bar fight is a personal favorite with **** Cagney getting punched through the bar and off the whorf! I like the twists and turns in which our boys can't trust anyone! And I love the Egyptian theme that runs throughout the episode with the curvy daggers, bad guys in fezzes, and the idol itself! It also has some great guest stars like William Marshall and Sorell Booke (Couldn't believe this was Boss Hog from the "Dukes of Hazzard").

Being a huge Indiana Jones fan, I was most impressed by the similarities between this episode and "Raiders of the Lost Ark" twenty years before the later even hit the silver screen. A good example would be how the idol shot a ray out of the ruby to disclose where the treasure lay, just like the headpiece of the Staff of RA would show the location of the Ark.

Best of all though is the team dynamic. Jim is at his physical best with some impressive fight sequences, and it showcases Artie in a very excellent disguise (Captain Hull) throughout the entire episode. We have to be thankful because RM would soon leave us due to a heart attack, so this role is a gem. The Captain is very well rounded with his knowledge of magic tricks from his exotic voyages. I always loved when Artie would be in disguise as one character throughout the entire course of an episode, thus proving he is the master of disguise.

Low points include: too many villians with Heisel being a very disappointing plot twist that the audience can see coming a mile away. Jason Starr or Amalek were more believable. I also cannot stand the Rosie character, which is a throwback to the evil women ala 1st season's Jennifer Wingate (TNO A Thousand Eyes)that the boys would just let go. Yuck!

All in all, an excellent episode for the luckluster season 4!
3 1/2 out of 5 stars.

Herr Ostropolyer

"Artie you are a walking encyclopedia." -Jim honestly describing his partner in TNOT Egyptian Queen.
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3908 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2006 :  19:58:49  Show Profile
Paul Playdon's working title for this script was "The Night of the Killing Eye." I wish the producers had kept that instead of the dull name that finally appeared. While I'm on that soapbox, please notice, with the new first season DVDs, how evocative the titles of those first shows were: "The Dragon Screamed." "The Druid's Blood." "Red-Eyed Madmen." "The Wizard Shook the Earth." Great stuff. As the series progressed, not only did it repeat its storylines; it did so with dishwatered titles. "The Night of the Thing." No, make that "The Night of the Thingy Terror."

And I agree with Mary: There's a lot here we've seen before. "The Egyptian Queen"'s storyline most reminds me of "The Night of the Samurai." In both cases, the MacGuffin is a valuable object that both agents lose in the teaser and spend the rest of the show trying to recover. In both, on the MacGuffin hinges some allegedly important international relationship (which we don't care about in the leastóthat's what makes it a MacGuffin). In both, multiple parties are jockeying for the MacGuffin. In both there's a beauty who is seemingly an ally but is really duplicitous, whom West and Artemus allow to bed down for the night on the train(!) And of course there's the little twist in the tale: the MacGuffin turns out to be more valuable than we knew, being the key to a bigger treasure that exposes a treacherous foreign visitor.

Of the two, "The Samurai" is the more polished, better performed vehicle.

Like others of you, I have a passion for the series' music. "The Egyptian Queen" gives us the third score by Harry Geller. His first, for "The Dragon Screamed," is an Oriental doozy. The second, for "The Bottomless Pit," is one of the second season's definitive scores, punctuated by several wonderful riffs on Markowitz's theme for Artie. (Geller is also co-credited with Mort Stevens for "The Returning Dead.") To my ears, "The Egyptian Queen" is the least of Geller's scores. Yes, it uses ethnic instruments and tonic patterns, but not in a very clever or Westian way. Either Geller's muse left him or (more likely) the producers gave him a day-and-a-half to write, score, and conduct the show.

All the stunt-men got to take home hefty paychecks for this one. And Conrad's hair still looks good. I guess that's worth .
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000