Wild Wild West Comics
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ptolemy
SS 1st assignment - desk job

463 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  06:18:55  Show Profile
Since I've never seen the WWW comics before, I thought I'd try to search for them on the internet.

I found the 7 Gold Key comics(Issues 1, 2 and 5 had variants) on this site. These were published from 1966-1969.

http://milehighcomics.com/cgi-bin/backissue.cgi?action=list&title=95522931338&snumber=1

I also found the 4 Millennium comics on this site. These were published in 1990 as a miniseries(TNOT Iron Tyrants). Unfortunately, issue #1 has no photo, but does have a plot synopsis. It's also interesting to note that this storyline was considered for a possible feature film production.

http://milehighcomics.com/cgi-bin/backissue.cgi?action=list&title=95520999904&snumber=1

JTW
SS novice field agent

USA
557 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  09:43:00  Show Profile
Of the 7 Gold Key comics, what is the reason for the rarity of one
# 1 issue? It doesn't say.
Go to Top of Page

CharlieTobin
SS spy school graduate

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2006 :  15:20:14  Show Profile
I have several of the Gold Key comics (including Issue #1, which I bought for a mint about 15 years ago, along with Man From U.N.C.L.E. #1 and Girl From U.N.C.L.E. #1), as well as the four Millennium comics.

It's interesting how, in the Gold Key comics, the "Night Of..." prefix wasn't adopted with their titles until the 6th or 7th issue. As with the Man From U.N.C.L.E. comics, the stories were reasonably good.

With the Millennium comics, I noticed several sections which were lifted directly from episodes of the show. There's a part in one issue where Loveless says "practicality is the last refuge of the mediocre", which, of course, is ripped right from "The Night The Wizard Shook The Earth" (not verbatim, mind you, but modified only slightly).

If anyone's interested in scans of these, I can scan them and post them to my website with a link here. The inside covers of the Gold Key comics are pretty interesting, and the back covers have these kitschy cutout photo montages of Jim and Artie...very 60's.

"Eyes aren't enough these days!"
Go to Top of Page

Herr Ostropolyer
SS 1st assignment - desk job

USA
209 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  14:00:28  Show Profile
Hey all,

Another good plave to find reasonably priced issues of the WWW comic is at Lone Star Comics. That's where I got mine. Just type in Lone Star Comics and then go to My Comic Shop. I hope this was helpful.

Herr Ostropolyer
Go to Top of Page

orrin cobb
SS novice field agent

USA
959 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2006 :  14:32:51  Show Profile  Visit orrin cobb's Homepage
I had three of the original issue Gold Key Comics when they first came out. Hard to find all West issues even then because stores didn't keep all releases on the rack, particularily TV show ones. I have found the remainder of the issues on Ebay for reasonable enough prices- steer clear of the obviously over-priced offerings. Wait and watch.
I also bought all the Millenium issues a few years back. These are really interesting. The writer obviously spent alot of time researching the period (1876) and the history and political situation at the time and wove it deftly into a West plot. Loveless is there, Colonel Richmond and President Grant, even West's manservant Tennyson. Too many spoilers to get too far into the plot. I think some WWW fans may not care for the characterizations and dark tone of the comics. Great art, though. The artists even got the ornate design of the rear platform railing of Wanderer down to the last filagree!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000