Review The Night of the Juggernaut
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

couldron
SS novice field agent

1444 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2006 :  21:15:04  Show Profile

The plot is that the bad guy wants to conquer Baja Mexico with a revolutionary vehicle –oops- that the Freebooter. Let me try again. The bad guy has discovered oil on the poor Indians land –oh, that is Golden Cobra. Didn’t you just know who the bad guy was when he complained about the violence the same as the mayor did in Vipers? This episode does have a lot of retread and is very western. Artie has his leg in a cast and I think they did a good job of covering it up most of the time. The intro is so obviously not Artie. Artie is the one bright spot in this episode. I think the toast he makes as he knowingly downs the drugged drink is a hoot. Would this episode be considered a double tag?

Herr Ostropolyer
SS 1st assignment - desk job

USA
209 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  14:28:31  Show Profile
Hey couldron,

Great review and very true TNOT Juggernaut is a retread of sorts and is a bit of a mixed bag. It makes one wonder did Bruce Lansbury or the writers have a premis for the 4th season and thought, "Hey we already did this one in black and white, so why don't we do it again in color!". They "re-did" TNOT Human Trigger (TNOT Avarricious Actuary), TNOT Puppeteer (TNO Miguelito's Revenge), and now TNOT Juggernaut (TNOT Freebooter). Perhaps it was a godsend that the show was cancelled when it was becuase they would not stop with 1st season retread, but they would continue with 2nd season retreads as well. Enough about the retread gripe, yes it is a huge one of mine, but one should be thankful that we have Artie here. The acting was excellent with Floyd Patterson as a wonderful guest star.

Juggernaut is a bit of a mixed bag, but I feel that our favorite show was trying to be relevant for its time here. It's 1968, the prime of the Civil Rights Movement and race riots in Watts. Our show would become the scape goat for violence on tv with the assassinations of RFK and most importantly MLK Jr. The homesteaders headed by Lyle Dixon, an African American who would not refuse to give up his land to the land grabbers, being tossed out of local shops, beaten by town folk, and being scared off by the Juggernaut. True, the land grabbers were not scaring off the settlers with hoods and burning crosses, but the subtext is there with the forboding Juggernaut.

True, this may seem a bit more heavy handed than its predecessor, TNOT Returning Dead, but still done excellently here. Instead of having his free choice to seek out his future (Jeremiah in TNOT Returning Dead), Lyle has the freedom to settle down on his own land to start his own family with Lonie, thus telling the audience that everyone has the basic right to their own freedom and property and to practice this freedom wherever they wish without prejudice from outside sources.

Floyd Patterson is excellent here for the strong man of few words. (Probably to cover up his limited acting range here, but it works.) Simon Scott appears for the third time in the series as Boch, the villianous land grabber (Yes, he ws also Mayo, the villian in TNOT Golden Cobra). RC is fine here, and I wonder if he got some boxing tips from Patterson behind the scenes when the cameras weren't rolling. RM's Ellsworth Caldwell is a hoot! He kind of looks like Buffolo Bill here. I love how he gets the nurses here. He deserves them afte all. I can count a few episodes from the 1st season where Jim gets both girls at the end, and oh yes I think this qualifies as a double tag.

Sadly, there is nothing left to recommend Juggernaut, I think the device itself is silly and not frightening. Bright red and spikey does not equal scary and it is easily penetrable by our duo. Oh well, you can't win them all.

3 stars out of 5 for the political parallels.

Herr Ostropolyer

"Ellsworth B. Caldwell the B stands for big" -Artie as the loudmouth from Texas in TNOT Juggernaut.
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3908 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  20:10:49  Show Profile
I agree with my colleagues. "The Juggernaut" is same old: pretty much the same as other old episodes.

While Floyd Patterson's guest-star turn is a commendable nod to race-relations in America's inflamed 60s, this episode doesn't carry nearly the heft for me that "The Returning Dead" gave us. For one thing, "The Juggernaut"'s storyline is just not that great. For another, gentlemanly prizefighter that he was, Mr. Patterson wasn't much of an actor.

The juggernaut itself is, I fear, a joke. Yes, it smokes and wheezes and crushes stationary objects, but really: this is one of the series' sillier contraptions. Anything that West can disable at the beginning of Act II tells you that the remaining show is going to be l – o – n – g. And of course there are two tags—maybe three or four, depending on where you start counting—because they pretty much ran out of story after 40 minutes.

Miscellaneous notes:

1. The producers did a creative job of modifying the script to accommodate Ross Martin's actual injury from the previous week. And they did a good job of "protecting" RM in camera set-ups: Lots of scenes cut to him already seated; there are few shots of him hobbling; they put him in a buggy, not astride a horse.

2. Isn't this the first episode of the fourth season with Conrad's short, short, parted hairdo? It's pretty bad. After he let it continue to grow without cutting, it got a lot worse.

3. Finally: The actress playing the nurse in the final tag is not credited. I swear she looks to me like a young Mary Frann, who became best known as Bob Newhart's wife in his second series (Newhart, with him as the Vermont innkeeper, in the 1980s). Can anyone confirm this?

Oh, the episode. Yawn.
Go to Top of Page

Silver
SS novice field agent

882 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  07:18:24  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ccb
1. The producers did a creative job of modifying the script to accommodate Ross Martin's actual injury from the previous week. And they did a good job of "protecting" RM in camera set-ups: Lots of scenes cut to him already seated; there are few shots of him hobbling; they put him in a buggy, not astride a horse.

I can't really critique the episode, since its been years since I've seen it. I did want to comment on the accomodation of RM's injury. I've never understood why a show like WWW didn't just write something like his broken leg into the scripts for a while, rather than struggle to conceal it. Seems like most producers just don't even consider it. I was always so impressed with one show I used to watch, when the secondary lead broke his arm, they had the bad guys break his character's arm, and through several episodes you saw it go through the healing process. Just think of the banter our boys could have had about Artemus having a broken leg - and the wonderful side plot they could have written for how it got broken!

"I sometimes wonder what the ventnors buy one half so precious as the goods they sell." - Omar Kayam
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3908 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  07:26:08  Show Profile
sidekick: CCB, I thought you were going to quiz us on season 1.

Sorry, sidekick. I promised that I'd try to limit a lot of this batch of WQs to Season One, to encourage people to buy the set. Last weekend I simply ran out of gas. If the tank is refilled by tomorrow, we'll return to our regularly scheduled program.
Go to Top of Page

Silver
SS novice field agent

882 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  10:21:43  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sidekick
If Redhead, KMills and Silver are reading this, I enjoyed your fan fics and would love to read more from you.

You have no idea how great it is to have you say that. I always get a huge boost from someone liking my work, but I appreciate criticism and especially discussion, whether its praise or pointing out something that isn't right.

I have a project underway called 'The Night of the Descendants', which I hope to finish after November ends and I get back to projects other than National Novel Writing Month. Count Manzeppi (not sure if accidentally or deliberately) draws Jim's descendant, Emma Peel (The Avengers) and Artie's descendant, Rollin Hand (Mission: Impossible) back into the 1870's, and the four of them have to resolve the situation.

By the way, feel free to contribute to our ongoing story, 'Back to Black'. Anyone is welcome to add their own ideas to move the story onward.

"I sometimes wonder what the ventnors buy one half so precious as the goods they sell." - Omar Kayam
Go to Top of Page

Ecstasy La Joie
SS novice field agent

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  14:46:41  Show Profile
Hi everyone, Ecstasy here. This is my first time writing in, so I hope I do this correctly. I just wanted to say hello and that I, too am looking forward to a Season One quiz. I have some later season episodes on tape, but I've practically worn out my DVD set of Season One! Jim West has had my heart since I was 5, and who wouldn't be infatuated with Artie? They are, as RC said, salt and pepper. By the way, I love the fanfic, too. I wish I could write like that. I'm better at creating the scene in my head. The paper version always pales in comparison.
Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1444 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  16:29:28  Show Profile
Hi Ecstasy

This is a great place and I too am looking forward to the quiz.

Mary
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3908 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  18:15:45  Show Profile
Many thanks and a hearty welcome to two new friends and generous souls, sidekick and Miss La Joie. In honor of both of them, this weekend's quiz is dedicated.

Coming right up —
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000