"The Night of the Double-Edged Knife"
"The Night That Terror Stalked the Town"
"The Night of the Red-Eyed Madman"
"The Night of the Fatal Trap"
"The Night of the Flaming Ghost"
"The Night of the Bars of Hell"
"The Night of the Two-Legged Buffalo"
"The Night of the Freebooters"

All of these share a specific plot device that sets them apart from the first season’s other seventeen episodes. What is it?

Redhead1617
SS novice field agent

USA
1393 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  20:49:13  Show Profile  Visit Redhead1617's Homepage
*blank look through almost completely closed eyes* I'll go sleep on this one... bene nox!

~Red

*sigh...where's MY Ross Martin?
Go to Top of Page

Ecstasy La Joie
SS novice field agent

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2006 :  05:31:35  Show Profile
My little gray cells are working hard on this one. Thanks for the challenge.
Go to Top of Page

Desert Roger
SS novice field agent

4349 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2006 :  10:17:48  Show Profile  Visit Desert Roger's Homepage
Welcome to the site, Ecstasy.

Roger
Go to Top of Page

Ecstasy La Joie
SS novice field agent

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2006 :  11:54:30  Show Profile
Thanks, Roger. I've been working on this quiz from all angles. I guess my first guess will be that each of the episodes has someone's true identity exposed. In most cases it's Jim or Artie, but in Inferno, it's Manolo, and in Terror Stalked, it's Janus. In Double-Edged Knife, it's a so-called Indian, exposed as a white man. I can't find a common thread among the women of the episodes or Artie's participation, which were my other two ideas. I'm looking forward to the answer.
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2006 :  16:25:08  Show Profile
E. La J.: I guess my first guess will be that each of the episodes has someone's true identity exposed.

Well done: You've wandered into the right neighborhood. The trick now is to fine-tune your search so that you're knocking on the one door that'll open.
Go to Top of Page

Ecstasy La Joie
SS novice field agent

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2006 :  16:35:41  Show Profile
I'm off to fine-tune right now!
Go to Top of Page

AdorableBlue
SS novice field agent

948 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2006 :  19:04:02  Show Profile  Visit AdorableBlue's Homepage
Gee, I thought E.La J has already got the answer This may sound lame but [8) what I could think of is all the bad guys in these eps have an "army" of their own and their "mode of destruction:" is explosions. And they all want California one way or other? (though I can't place Two-Legged). Hmmmm....I wonder could it also be that all the bad guys' abode in these eps is the same place?

AdorableBlue
Go to Top of Page

Redhead1617
SS novice field agent

USA
1393 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2006 :  21:07:13  Show Profile  Visit Redhead1617's Homepage
Welcome Ecstasy! Sounds like a plausiable answer to our quiz...

~Red

Go to Top of Page

Dieter Epping
SS senior field agent

USA
6499 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2006 :  21:36:28  Show Profile
Ecstasy La Joie is my personal favorite name for a WWW babe I ever heard. Can't get much better than that!! Welcome Ecstasy!!!
Go to Top of Page

Ecstasy La Joie
SS novice field agent

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  04:38:25  Show Profile
Thanks, Dieter. When I decided to register to this forum, I wanted to find the perfect character name to use. This was the only one that ever felt right - for a couple of different reasons. First, I always felt that Yvonne Craig was the "one" woman mentioned by RC. She was a dancer and he also studied dance. Plus, I was always struck, even at an early age, by the way JW's body language seemed to be different with her. He seemed almost smitten with her, with an extra speed to get her in an embrace. Their dancing at the end of Emir was very cozy and there always seemed to be lingering looks between the two. Add to that the original airdate, my birthday, and there you have it.

I'm still fine-tuning my answer to this quiz. My little gray cells are getting tired.
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  09:20:22  Show Profile
Ecstasy La Joie: First, I always felt that Yvonne Craig was the "one" woman mentioned by RC.

That's my theory, too. I think it supported by how (I can hardly believe) RC introduces "The Grand Emir" in the new set's voice-overs. No one involved in the DVD's production has yet confirmed this, however. Either they keep confidences impeccably well or my mind is uncleansibly dirty.

Ecstasy La Joie was the closest the series' producers could ever come to "Goldfinger"'s ***** Galore in getting past the censors. Second place may go to Gatita from "The Deadly Bed."

Family board that this is, our Administrator's censors are pretty sharp, too.
Go to Top of Page

chicaoeste
SS 1st assignment - desk job

151 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  11:49:35  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ecstasy La Joie

Their dancing at the end of Emir was very cozy and there alway seemed to be lingering looks between the two.

The other day I was watching this episode again, I noticed how comfortable and romantic they looked together. Since I read about the attraction of Robert for one if his guest stars, I'm asking myself if Yvonne was the person, because of how he's smile at her during the dancing and the kisses, too. Lovely!

And about the quiz I agree with AdorableBlue many of these eps involve explosives and maybe I was thinking that someone wants gold. . These quizes are great they make you really think and search the eps again. Keep the good work.

ˇMás quizes, por favor.! More quizes, please!

Go to Top of Page

Ptolemy

463 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  14:18:56  Show Profile
I believe Yvonne Craig was in a serious relationship with Bill Bixby at the time TNOT Grand Emir was filmed...but you really couldn't blame RC for going "batty" over this attractive actress. As I stated in a previous post, Yvonne Craig is my favorite actress of the entire series. In fact, I bought a box of the Rittenhouse WWW trading cards a few years ago, and was thrilled to find an autographed card of Yvonne Craig (as Ecstasy La Joie) in the box. I guess that's what's known as good karma.
Go to Top of Page

AdorableBlue
SS novice field agent

948 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2006 :  20:22:39  Show Profile  Visit AdorableBlue's Homepage
quote:
[i] Since I read about the attraction of Robert for one if his guest stars, I'm asking myself if Yvonne was the person, because of how he's smile at her during the dancing and the kisses, too. Lovely

And I always thought that person would be Lana Wood in Firebrand and (it slips my mind the second eps - Sudden Plague?). RC had a pretty cosy huggie-hug time with Lana over the fire.

AdorableBlue
Go to Top of Page

Ecstasy La Joie
SS novice field agent

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  04:27:35  Show Profile
I love Firebrand. That whole "the answer is on my lips" is delicious. The other eps with Lana is maybe Deadly Plague. I think it's the last of the series, with RC doing a double stint as Avery's intended. Back to the quiz for a moment. I became aware this morning while working my brain on this puzzle that Glowing Corpse also has an identity revealed, that of Amelie, by JW. This new wrinkle has me all confused. I've gone at this from several angles, to no avail. What to do, what to do!
Go to Top of Page

Ptolemy

463 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  09:39:14  Show Profile
quote:
This new wrinkle has me all confused. I've gone at this from several angles, to no avail. What to do, what to do!

Sounds like you may be in need of some meditation therapy, Ecstasy. In William Shatner's new book entitled "From Star Trek to Zen", Shatner explains a simple method of relieving everyday stress.

First, you must sit on the floor of an empty room with your legs crossed. Then, with your fists clenched together, you must shout at the top of your lungs - "Khaaaan...Khaaaan!".

I hope this helps, Ecstasy!
Go to Top of Page

Redhead1617
SS novice field agent

USA
1393 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  18:03:22  Show Profile  Visit Redhead1617's Homepage
quote:
First, you must sit on the floor of an empty room with your legs crossed. Then, with your fists clenched together, you must shout at the top of your lungs - "Khaaaan...Khaaaan!".

ROTFLMAO that was GREAT!!!!!!!!

~Red

Go to Top of Page

Ecstasy La Joie
SS novice field agent

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2006 :  18:09:36  Show Profile
Gee, thanks, that sounds helpful. After an hour or so of that, I'll have a nice bowl of Plomik soup.
Go to Top of Page

Silver
SS novice field agent

882 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  07:22:15  Show Profile
I studied this all weekend. The private army thing doesn't work for every ep (e.g. Terror Stalked the Town), and does for some of those not included. The explosion thing doesn't always come in (e.g. Two-Legged Buffalo). I thought maybe somebody knows a person who's in disguise (happened to Jim a lot) but neither exlusive to these nor occurs in all.

I guess an arguement can be made for someone's identity being revealed and putting them in danger.
Inferno: both fake and real Juan Manolo (led to death of both)
Wizard: Professor guy discovered not to be manservant and killed
Casual Killer: Jim spotted by crooked sheriff and nearly killed
Double-Edged Knife: Um, well, the fake indian was revealed after he was killed. Work on this one.
Terror Stalked: Artemus realizes Janus is a fake and follows him.
Red-Eyed Madman: Jim spotted by killer from hotel.
Fatal Trap: Woman from his past recognizes Jim? She doesn't give him away
Flaming Ghost: Artist recognizes Artie's ear.
Bars of Hell: Jim's disguise uncovered.
Two-Legged Buffalo: Lady whatsit recognizes that Artie is not prince.
Freebooters: Gunman recognizes Jim from varnish car.

I'm really still not fully happy with these. Disguises and their penetration is such a common theme, and I think I spotted at least one such in the other seventeen episodes.

I'm truly going nuts on this one. And I know I'm forgetting some of the ideas I had this weekend. Oh, well, at least I had the fun of trying.

"I sometimes wonder what the ventnors buy one half so precious as the goods they sell." - Omar Kayam
Go to Top of Page

AdorableBlue
SS novice field agent

948 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  23:03:21  Show Profile  Visit AdorableBlue's Homepage
The quizmaestro is ever getting us all muddled. I wonder if all these eps listed had the same plot-writer - same writer for all these? That's the only other thing I could think of that could be common where plot is concern. LOL! That's if ccb "extends" his "plot" term.

AdorableBlue
Go to Top of Page

Cindylover1969
SS novice field agent

United Kingdom
1267 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2006 :  23:17:28  Show Profile  Visit Cindylover1969's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by AdorableBlue

The quizmaestro is ever getting us all muddled. I wonder if all these eps listed had the same plot-writer - same writer for all these?

That ain't it (unless Gilbert Ralston, John Kneubuhl, Stephen Kandel, Stanford Whitmore, Richard Landau, Robert Vincent Wright, Gene L. Coon et al are all the same person - which is unlikely; Kandel was still writing TV (he worked on MacGyver for instance) in the '80s, long after Gene L. Coon's untimely passing in 1973).

I think they all involve West going in disguise/undercover (a prisoner in the pilot, Prof. Nielsen in the first Loveless show, Roger Colby in the one with the bipedal buffalo, a representative of the Prison Board in "The Night of the Bars of Hell", a wanted ex-Army Officer for the Freebooters, etc).

"Make them both as uncomfortable as possible." - Marquis de la Mer, "The Night of the Watery Death"
Go to Top of Page

Silver
SS novice field agent

882 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2006 :  06:54:19  Show Profile
Is there ever a time when West could be said to be undercover in TNOT Double-Edged Knife, TNT Terror Stalked the Town or TNOT Flaming Ghost? It could be something I'm not thinking of, like at the beginning of TNOT Inferno.

"I sometimes wonder what the ventnors buy one half so precious as the goods they sell." - Omar Kayam
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2006 :  21:14:06  Show Profile
Thanks to everyone for cudgeling your brains on last weekend's quiz. The many contributions, most building on others, are much appreciated—even when we allowed ourselves the understandable distraction of wondering whether Ms. Craig was The One.

Ecstasy La Joie: I guess my first guess will be that each of the episodes has someone's true identity exposed.

Cindylover1969: I think they all involve West going in disguise/undercover (a prisoner in the pilot, Prof. Nielsen in the first Loveless show, Roger Colby in the one with the bipedal buffalo, a representative of the Prison Board in "The Night of the Bars of Hell", a wanted ex-Army Officer for the Freebooters, etc).

With a bit of verbal massage, these were the two answers that came closest to what I was thinking and believe can be verified:

In all eleven of the named episodes, West pretends—either under his own name or an alias—to be someone or something other than who he is.

In all the remaning episodes of the first season, he presents himself and is received by others as the Secret Service agent that he really is.

By that definition, an affirmative answer can be returned for Silver's legitimate question: "Is there ever a time when West could be said to be undercover in TNOT Double-Edged Knife, TNT Terror Stalked the Town or TNOT Flaming Ghost? It could be something I'm not thinking of, like at the beginning of TNOT Inferno." Yes, in all these cases:

In "Double-Edged Knife" (Act III) he's dressed as a generic cowboy, infiltrating the marauders' hideout.
In "Terror Stalked" (Act IV) he pretends to be Janus pretending to be West.
In "Flaming Ghost" (teaser), he pretends to the other stagecoach passengers to be a mining engineer.
In "The Inferno" (teaser), he pretends to be a renegade on a fast-track to the gallows.

If you play out this plot device with the other seven episodes named, I think you'll see that it works.

For nudging so close to the correct answer, E. La J. earns a bright Henry. For essentially nailing it, C.Lover receives the genuine Anabella. Congratulations!
Go to Top of Page

Cindylover1969
SS novice field agent

United Kingdom
1267 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2006 :  23:13:39  Show Profile  Visit Cindylover1969's Homepage
Why, thank you (especially since I've yet to see three of those episodes)! I'll take good care of Arabella...

"Make them both as uncomfortable as possible." - Marquis de la Mer, "The Night of the Watery Death"
Go to Top of Page

Ecstasy La Joie
SS novice field agent

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2006 :  00:06:02  Show Profile
Thank you very much for the Bright Henry! This was my first quiz and I enjoyed it immensely. I will take very good care of my prize .
Go to Top of Page

Redhead1617
SS novice field agent

USA
1393 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2006 :  16:48:00  Show Profile  Visit Redhead1617's Homepage
Congrats to both our winners!

~Red

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000