Review The Night of the Kraken
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2006 :  18:26:49  Show Profile

Here is another retread of a story. Basically, a remake of Watery Death with elements of Flying Pie Plate and Circus of Death. Really it isn’t that bad of an episode I think that I never forgave them for killing off Aguilla and so my negative reaction.. I kept waiting for him to come back from the dead and be revealed as the villain. Alas, the villain was the crazed street preacher well played by Ted Knight. Marj Dusay’s role is similar to Watery Death where the woman has a week husband who hasn’t a clue of what the evil wife is up to. Well I guess he did have a clue since he was killed when he became suspicious.

P.S. sorry I am late but blame it on a little over six pound red head … my new granddaughter.

sidekick
SS 1st assignment - desk job

126 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  06:15:28  Show Profile
Congratulations!
Go to Top of Page

Ecstasy La Joie
SS novice field agent

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  09:09:28  Show Profile
Same from me! Congratulations!
Go to Top of Page

Herr Ostropolyer

USA
209 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  14:31:24  Show Profile
Congratulations couldron!

Excellent review and thank you for giving me a welcome birthday gift today on my 26th birthday. (An Episode Review).

TNOT Kraken is a mixed bag and definently a retread of the superior TNOT Watery Death (Please check the archives for our thoughts on that excellent episode). I honestly wish our favorite show had an excellent budget where they could have fought a threatening kraken alla 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, but it wasn't to pass and I fear that is why we get TNOT Watery Death retread. In some ways I'm thankful that they did not try to fight an actual kraken because the kraken arm wasn't really that great, we would have gotten obvious tank shots faking asea, and underwater shots of RC in an aquirium with divers (see TNOT Turncoat), and probably a recycled kraken prop from Irwin Allen's voyage to the Bottom of the Sea.

I feel that Anthony Caruso was wasted as Aguila (and I too agree that he should have been the villain because it would have been a better twist than what we got.), but this would not be the first time that they wasted his talents on our favorite show. They also wasted him last season in TNT Dr. Loveless died where he played nothing more than an over bearing thug that Loveless cannot control. I don't feel that he was wasted in TNOT Green Terror because one felt the plight of the Indians through his anger in that episode.

Ted Knight's Daniel was no shock twist for fans of TNOT Flying Pie Plate and I feel that Marj Dusay's character would have made a better villain than the villain's pretty moll.

RC and RM are great with what they are given and they disguised RM's broken leg perfectly, I wonder if it was his broken leg that kept him from doing some swimming here? I really wonder how the actors felt about the script. I wonder if they felt that they were doing retreads, or was it out of their hands. They (The writers)used this same plot device 4 times. Twice 2nd season with TNOT Watery Death and TNOT Deadly Blossom, and twice this season with TNOT Kraken and TNOT Pelican respectivley. I wish that I could talk about this episode somemore, but it was very disappointing to me when I caught it on reruns on TNT.

If you like watery weapons pointed at passing frigates, this may be the episode for you, but if you are like me you've seen this plot enough!

2 and 1/2 stars out of 5.

Herr Ostropolyer

"Yes it's me behind all the alfalfa."- Artie as a sea dog in TNOT Tired Retread, oops I mean TNOT Kraken.
Go to Top of Page

Redhead1617
SS novice field agent

USA
1393 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  14:50:16  Show Profile  Visit Redhead1617's Homepage
awwww congrats Mary! I'm supposed to become a first-time aunt in December (likely to be redhead as well, my sister is and her husband has a red beard yet brownish hair on top... )\

episode review... I'm really far behind in these... time for a WWW marathon at my house!

~Red

*sigh...where's MY Ross Martin?
Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  15:01:36  Show Profile
quote:
Excellent review and thank you for giving me a welcome birthday gift today on my 26th birthday. (An Episode Review).

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Go to Top of Page

Redhead1617
SS novice field agent

USA
1393 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  19:06:31  Show Profile  Visit Redhead1617's Homepage
oh yes, birthday! Happy Happy Birthday!!! Yay!!!!! An excuse for birthday cake!!!!!!!!!!!

~Red

*sigh...where's MY Ross Martin?
Go to Top of Page

Herr Ostropolyer

USA
209 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2006 :  19:28:48  Show Profile
Awwww Shucks!

Thank you couldron and Red!

Sincerely,

Herr Ostropolyer
Go to Top of Page

Ecstasy La Joie
SS novice field agent

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2006 :  05:21:05  Show Profile
It's a little late, but no less sincere, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY"!!!!
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  12:31:50  Show Profile
Gee, I used to like this episode until I read my colleagues' reviews. Hmm. Sets a mind a-pondering.

Like all these episodes, they look differently when viewed from different angles. When compared with the second season's "Watery Death," yes, I agree that "The Kraken" appears a tired rip-off. When compared, however, with most of Season Four, it looks fresh, rightly bizarre, and just right for the series. Likewise, the comparison with "The Flying Pie-Plate" is inevitable, with the loud, phoney street-preacher revealed as Top Villain. Good grief: Ford Rainey's in both episodes, in case anyone had forgotten the connection. On the other hand, scriptwriter Steve Kandel specialized in surprise villains (see "The Double-Edged Knife," his only other show for the series). Had I been plotting "The Kraken," I would have made the Admiral the brains behind the scheme (that's why he has the model fortress in his office), and I would have had dastardly Delores eliminate him so that she could rule the world all by herself. But I digress.

I really like a lot of things about this episode: (1) its pure excursion into Jules Verne fantasy; (2) its happy array of good character actors; (3) the trouble they went to in creating or simulating so many fantastical props for a single episode (the underwater fortress, the Victorian scuba gear—love those fins!—the big red bomb, and even the much maligned tentacle); (4) Kandel's sensible use of a disguised Artemus for advance reconnaissance (also used in "Knife"); (5) Aguilla's genuinely frightening death by drowning; and (6) Richard Shores's atmospheric if somewhat repetitive music.

Yet I really dislike some other things. Yes, we've seen much of it before, with snatches drawn from this episode or that. Most of all, I dislike the carelessness, even sloppiness, of this show's production, which is splayed all over the place. Some examples: Artie can't decide whether his friend Lt. Dave'e last name is Bartlett or Barrett. If you look carefully at the scene, near the end of Act II, with Aquilla and West in the fishing boat, you can clearly see the boom mike above their heads, bobbing in and out of frame. Nobody chose to reshoot takes, probably because this was an expensive episode to produce and they were trying to get it into the can, for good or ill, as fast as they could. They sure didn't have (or spend) the money to execute a convincing squid's tentacle. But even that doesn't explain things like the beginning of Act II: Look carefully at all those heavies preparing to descend on West and his new friend in the saloon. Just before the fight begins, a mess of them dash out of the camera set-up, allowing only a small core of stunt men to do the heavy lifting. And Conrad in a studio tank, with or without mechanical breathing apparatus, never really works onscreen.

If "The Kraken" had had triple its production budget and the time to do things right, it could have made a great West movie—far superior to the reunion movies we later got on CBS. Even then, I think it would need to have been rewritten to feature "The Watery Death"'s fire-breathing dragon, which is, hands down, more visually thrilling than a long garden hose flailing around on fishing–line.

As is, I'll give this ambitious misfire 1/2. They were still trying. Unfortunately, not hard enough.
Go to Top of Page

Dieter Epping
SS senior field agent

USA
6499 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  15:19:49  Show Profile
ccb---I pretty much agree with a lot of what you wrote. But one difference--This is the first episode of WWW I ever saw, and I was hooked ever since. I was about 9 years old at the time and this one stands out as a favorite. The sea monster scared the you know what out of me at that time and I felt I want to see every other episode befor and after that. Thats how WWW became my favorite show of all time!!!
stars for me since this is my 1st episode that started it all!!!
Go to Top of Page

Dieter Epping
SS senior field agent

USA
6499 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2006 :  16:39:37  Show Profile
One other "retread" that I will mention of Night of the Kraken, but I didn't know until much later, is that they used the same ending underwater explosion that Night of the Puppeteer had also. Only in color this time. Still love this episode anyway because this is the one that started it all for me!!!
Go to Top of Page

orrin cobb
SS novice field agent

USA
959 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  10:28:57  Show Profile  Visit orrin cobb's Homepage
Well, I wish I could remember more if this episode to be able to chime in my comments, but since it does not exist in my tape library it is all the more reason to get moving and release the rest of the WWW seasons on DVD!
I have to admit, though that TNOT Watery Death is one of my favorites if only for the Dragon Torpedo!

"Let's get this train on the road!"-Artemus Gordon
Go to Top of Page

orrin cobb
SS novice field agent

USA
959 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  10:30:47  Show Profile  Visit orrin cobb's Homepage
BTW Happy Birthday Dieter!!!

"Let's get this train on the road!"-Artemus Gordon
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2006 :  19:24:37  Show Profile
Dieter: stars for me since this is my 1st episode that started it all!!!

Absolutely right. This board long ago established the precedent that any episode that hooks any of us on The Wild Wild West is, by definition, a five–smiley awardee.
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2006 :  20:00:39  Show Profile
I don't know if this link will work for all—for anyone, for that matter—but, if you can download it, here's what a giant squid actually looks like:

http://today.reuters.com/tv/videoChannel.aspx?storyid=0e4daf2c9503387b6a614482bc1d5d8a4ae79972
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000