Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Wild Wild West - Chat and Play
 Wild Wild West General Discussion Board
 WQ 53: She Walked in Beauty; or, TWIA (3)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2002 :  20:24:43  Show Profile
I'd bet that lleroy will like this one, because she specializes not only in TV/Movie trivia but also in anachronisms:

This Week in Anachronism pertains to a beauty of West's own era:

I was born in Clinton, Iowa, on 4 December 1861, and died in Pittsburgh on 6 June 1922. My parents named me Helen, but in 1880 my manager gave me my stage name, for which I was and remain much better known. I began my career in 1879 as a chorus girl in Gilbert and Sullivan's HMS Pinafore. By 1881 I was a star; from 1889 to 1904, queen of Weber and Fields's burlesque company in England and America. I completed my career as a syndicated newpaper columnist, a popular lecturer on health, beauty, and love, and, as much as anyone in my time, personified flamboyant female beauty. I was, in a word, the Marilyn Monroe of The Gilded Age, and The Wild Wild West nods toward that fact by naming me with admiration in at least two episodes.

The only problem, alas, is that almost no one but my parents knew of me during the time of the Grant Administration, when I was eight to sixteen years old. And none of the characters could have known me by my stage name, which I didn't receive until three years after Grant left office.

Who Am I?

K Mills
SS novice field agent

849 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2002 :  20:29:56  Show Profile
Sarah Bernhart (sp?)

Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2002 :  21:06:05  Show Profile
In TNot Bars of Hell, Artie distracts the executioner with a sighting of Lily Russel.
When the other mention of her occurs, I do not know.

Go to Top of Page

lleroy
SS 1st assignment - desk job

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2002 :  06:15:27  Show Profile
Good call on Lillian Russell, Couldron! I can't think of the other episode(s) she's mentioned in, either.

It's interesting that the Internet Movie Database says that she was born in 1860, not 1861. Do you suppose they know more than other sources?

Leslie

Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2002 :  09:32:11  Show Profile
quote:
It's interesting that the Internet Movie Database says that she was born in 1860, not 1861. Do you suppose they know more than other sources?

It wouldn't be the first time that I have found errors in the IMB site. According to Encyclopedia Americana, she was born 1861. How could ccb be wrong? Not in this life time.

Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2002 :  12:50:18  Show Profile
An hour-glass-shaped Arabella to couldron for her correct answer. Lillian Russell, née Helen Louise Leonard, it is. ccb is often wrong; in this case, however, I doubt that Encyclopaedia Britannica is.

As to refernces in The Series: Doesn't Artie, disguised as Leeto, s*cker two of Brain's guards with his gas-spouting opticon and the invitation, "Oh, you're never going to believe this! Talk about your Lillian Russell!"

Go to Top of Page

K Mills
SS novice field agent

849 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2002 :  13:31:17  Show Profile
Yes, yes Artie does say that in Braine. Britannica wrong? Never!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000