couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2007 :  16:19:02  Show Profile

WOW! It feels like forever since I have had access to the Web. At
quote:
one time, I thought www stood for our show

The last review it was mentioned by MaudeB
ď'm with you, Ecstasy. I rarely get involved with the reviews because I love each and every episode (except the Artie-less ones.)

Still, I like to see how others see them. WWW was my favorite show as a kid (and forever). I even wrote RM a letter with my deep teenage intellectual thoughts on the show. Whoever read that one must still be laughing! But I did get a nice autographed picture back. Hunk-a-lishes!

I love all of the episode too, even the Artie-less ones.

The reviews are all about how others see them. So get involved.

quote:
Ecstasy La Joie

I don't think I will turn out to be much of a critic of any of the episodes. I love them all! In looking back to what stands out in each epi for me, the things I remember most are the romantic moments.

You donít need to be a critic it is not the reason for our reviews. I look forward to seeing the episodes through those romantic eyes.

What others say about the episodes increases my enjoyment. I see things that I never would have noticed jut like ccbís quizzes.

I hope that I donít have to explain my long absence. I have missed being here. I live in Colorado and we have been hit with weather that I have never seen beforeÖ and that is saying something. The snow in places, that I must walk, is up to my thighs. No driving into our driveway we must walk about a block to our house.

I digress to much so on to the episode review.

This episode has the distinction of having the highest audience response. It begins with the boys riding into Brimstone that has been burning they estimate for ten years. I feel a digression coming on Ö The oldest know mine fire is in Australia and is know as Burning Mountain it is still burning and has been for an estimated 6000 years so I guess ten isnít much.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v15/i2/mountain.asp br /
Back to the episode. I thought the intro was a dull setup to the story. The beginning has puzzled me. The boys were ready to leave although I think Jim was suspicious. So why did the fake Colecrest ask them to say hello to his wife when he knew that he didnít have one? It just doesnít make sense to me. Neither do the men being chased from the mine. I feel that I have seen parts of this episode before. Didnít Artie pull the same stunt with the bad guy in TNO Dr. Loveless Died? I must admit that I enjoyed the escape into the tunnel. The ending fight was pretty good to and I think the writers were clever to be able to get Ross into two different disguises with such a restricted setting. The idea of a crazy soldier if not bizarre was different and I like how they say he is getting better in the tag. This episode is one that I feel I am missing part of it. My recording has the boys riding into town and Jim telling Artie here is your fires was there something more before that? All together now whistle Dixie.
I rate this 3 out of 5

Mary

Ecstasy La Joie
SS novice field agent

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  09:02:36  Show Profile
Well, if my romantic point of view is what you'd like to hear, then I'll be happy to deliver. I just don't have this episode in my current collection, and it's been years since I've seen it. Just watch out when you hit on an epi that I have - and remember "you asked for it!"
Go to Top of Page

Herr Ostropolyer
SS 1st assignment - desk job

USA
209 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  14:45:23  Show Profile
Hey All,

Welcome back couldron, it has been a long time. I too must agree with you about TNO Fire and Brimstone in that I find it entertaining, but it is a little on the dull side. When I used to have marathons of the 4th season, I used to get a little heavy hearted when I reached this episode because it is the last we see of old Artie and RM before his heart attack after that he will have that awful hair cut as well as show up halfway through episodes, and sadly this episode isn't as memorable as it should have been for him becuase all the action is in the catacombs while Artie is off hunting for a Doctor and putting up with Dooley's annoyingness. (Yuck!)

First off, the episode is very western and it was written "in the now". What I mean was that the writers Kane and Smith took on a popular happening of the time: Japanese soldiers that were still fighting WWII in 1968 and decided to do a Civil War spin on this phenominon, but it really doesn't work. After seeing such episodes as TNOT Man-Eating House, TNOT Returning Dead, and TNOT Colonel's Ghost: Fire and Brimstone leaves me cold. In the former epiosdes, you had "ghostly" characters returning from the dead, but having a very logical explantion for their return. In Fire and Brimstone, it feels like a rehash even though it has nothing to do with this theme. True, the writers made Captain Butler seem like a "ghostly" presence sneaking and disappearing in and out of the catacombs, but his logical explantion doesn't pay off and seems very forced. If I were left in charge of that treasure, and did not hear any orders after the first year, I would have run off with the loot the first chance I got, thus I don't buy his loyalty.

Next, I too feel that if our boys saw through Morton and Roach's ploy that they should have acted then and there, the chase and gun play that ensues feels like padding. Oh, and why is it every time this season that the boys have to bring in a Dr. or Professor to help in the case that said Dr. or Professor has a fatal illness ala Dr. Crane in TNOT Doomsday Formula it is too cliche. And while we are on cliches, why is it that their is always an annoying daughter that has to muddle up the plot ala Cosina from TNOT Spanish Curse I just think it makes the strong women we had in seasons 1 through 3 look bad. Lastly, I also agree that Artie's trick to stop Roach's thugs was a rehash of the same trick in 3rd season's TNOT Circus of Death.

I think the cast is excellent considering what they had to work with. I found Dooley to be annoying, but I usually find sacrificial lambs that are supposed to add drama to the plot annoying. RC gets all the juicy gunplay and fights while RM gets to put on two disguises. However, RM may have performed an acting milestone in that he is the only actor I can think of that had the honor of protraying both opposing Civil War Generals. (Lee and Grant)

2 and 1/2 out of 5 stars. You could view better!

Herr Ostropolyer

There will be no quote this time in honor of the last Artie-ful episode for some time.
Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2007 :  21:17:05  Show Profile
Herr Ostropolyer

Your are spot on as usual.

quote:
his logical explanation doesn't pay off and seems very forced.

I couldn't quite put my finger on what bothered me but you expressed it well. The whole episode seems forced especially the banter. I too am tired of the dumb women.
quote:
If I were left in charge of that treasure, and did not hear any orders after the first year, I would have run off with the loot the first chance I got, thus I don't buy his loyalty

What crossed my mind was how did he get food? His cloths didn't look any worse for wear either.

Mary
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2007 :  05:57:04  Show Profile
Sorry, but this Western isn't very Wild. Its teleplay and story are credited to three different writers (Palmer Thompson, Joel Kane, and Milton Smith), which is usually not a happy sign. I guess one of them concocted the novel idea of buried treasure; another, the crazed soldier; the third, enough padding to bloat a thirty-minute show into sixty.

There are lots of fights, gunsmoke, cave escapes and inscapes. There's so much coming and going from the secret cave that you expect The Association of American Spelunkers to be selling tickets. The episode has a pantywaist heavy with a resonant baritone (Chales Macaulay) and the always dependable Dabbs Greer as a crazy old coot.

For me, the best part of the episode is General Lee's relieving his loyal captain of duty, for which it's mighty foresightful of Artie to have packed his Confederate officer's disguise, with a spiffy gold sash.

Sweet scene. Boring episode. Was this worth a heartĖattack?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000