The Night of the Winged Terror Part I II
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  10:06:51  Show Profile

I loath two parters simply because most the time I miss the second part.

This episode seems richer to me. The scenes are lush and filled out and that make this episode worth watching. I can’t help but think of the Night of the Cadre with the mind control bit. This last season tried to go back to the original concept and this episode demonstrates it somewhat. You have a strange villain or villains and for a change a beautiful woman villain Michele Carey who we last saw made into a golden woman something about her morals.
. We have the return of the gun that shoots backwards but it is the only contraption and I miss them. This episode builds very nicely and I enjoy that the president secretly comes to brainstorm only to discover that it isn’t a secret at all. I wish that they had used Jackie Coogan in both episodes that he appeared in a better way, there was just to little of him in this episode. The end bothered me with the talk of a time bomb.. David Bushnell, inventor of the first submarine, invented the first time bomb in the summer of 1776 in an attempt to attack British ships that were blockading New York harbor. It seems to me that using the term time bomb would not have been in the vernacular. I thought it stretched it a bit that they were able to condition West when he was unconscious. We have a nice mention of Artie and he is sorely missed. Has any other episode mentioned so many towns? I liked that and the traveling through so many in one hour. I also liked the Jim’s escape from death at the hands of Frank Harper. I must note that Frank Harper says about the bombs that they would never know how they were triggered but Artie would have found out.
To be continued…

Mary

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  10:36:20  Show Profile
Part II

I don’t think there is any necessity to start a separate thread and I do regard this as one episode so on to the second part.

The first part reminded me of Cadre the second part reminds me of Brain. The character and reasons were much the same. They even had the same burning of the world. After such a build up this episode was a let down. Not that it doesn’t have some good points The research scene was interesting as was that ring alerting Jim to what really had happened. The twist that Chaveros was a double agent did put a dangerous tone and look in Jim’s eyes. OH speaking of eyes some of the shot really show off RC’s. oops back to the review. The end also mentions Artie and gives a tribute to his bomb expertise. I am not sure if I like the tag or not. Maybe other opinions will help me decide.
Part I
Part II
for both

Mary
Go to Top of Page

Herr Ostropolyer
SS 1st assignment - desk job

USA
209 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  15:23:09  Show Profile
Excellent Reviews couldron!

I really disliked TNOT Winged Terror PTS. 1 and 2 as a whole. For the most part two parters are a let down becuase it changes the 1 hour format and sometimes the resolution episode is never as good as the first part. (This is the case for our two parter.) Also, the first part is always bitter sweet because it could either be very suspensful (Yes it was.) and lead into an excellent cliffhanger that makes you want to see the continuation, or the plot can really drag to fill up the two part quota. (Thank goodness this did not happen here.)

TNOT Winged Terror PT. I

I was really excited for this episode when I was watching our favorite show on TNT in the late 90's. I thought that William Schallert's Frank Harper would be a great guest agent with his creat card sense, and in the first part he is excellent. Yes, he is another master of disguise, but Schallert really looked like Mayor Sneed. However, when it came to his Krowler disguise, well I'm getting way ahead of myself, so here are my thoughts of Part I:

Positives
The first part is not slow at all. It moves at a brisk pace with very bizzare happenings in regards to denizens of the individual towns becoming violent and destructive. The mystery is played out very well in that West is following Occularis in a trick wagon, or is it the real Occularis. The mysterious meeting with Grant aboard the Wanderer is well executed. The mind control plot was seen in other favorites like TNOT Howling Light as well as TNOT Cadre, but it seems fresh here, and when "Mayor Sneed" has to kill West and Harper, I love how Haper fires at the mirror. The cliff hanger is good: So, is West conditioned or not? Kudos to all the actors involved in Part I because they did a fine job here. Part II is another matter.

Negatives
One gripe I also had was the lack of Jackie Coogan. Why get a tv mainstay to do such a brief part. Also, the exploding penitas was way over the top. It reminded me of a really awful Batman episode, "The Great Escape" or "The Great Train Robbery" where Cliff Robertson's Shame shot at a "very heavy" penita that knocked out the Caped Crusaders. Yuck!, both instances were really ridiculous.

TNOT Winged Terror PT. I gets 3 stars out of 5

TNOT Winged Terror PT. II
Was a bit a let down, thus making the entire story weak. Part II after Jim is found out to be condition falls downhill.

The story is very claustrophobic because Jim is stuck in Tycho's lair for the remainder of the episode. If RM or Charles Aidman were here, the proceedings may have been more tolerable because we know these characters better. Instead, we are left with Harper and the Secret Service desperatly seeking out Jim and its not believable.

The plot feels very padded while in Tycho's clutches, Jim's escapes are always stopped with him returning to Laurette, who becomes very annoying with her ravings on what a great world it will be once the Raven organizaion succeeds. Many times when Jim escapes we get file fotage of him crawling in a dark tunnel, probably from TNOT Doomsday Weapon (Notice Jim's old hair style.)

Harper gets into another disguise, this time as Dr. Krowler which was made for Schallert, instead of looking like another actor. He is way over the top here, which in more capable hands like Ross Martin, would have been excellent, but from Schallert it is shear camp. And the proceedings are quite laughable when "Krowler" proves to Raven that West is completely conditioned with the old "combustable chemicals in the palm trick". Why not simply use a torch or a very long needle?

Once our heroes escape Tycho's Trap in a very "Batmanesque" manner, they try to apprehend the gang, just to have Tycho escape. It's an old cliche, but while wishing that Loveless or Manzeppi would return, I'm entirely happy that our boys did not go up against Tycho or Raven again. Also, for Tycho simply to escape really makes the entire two parter feel fruitless. ("I watched two hours of this just to see the bad guy get away. Geesh, what a let down!")

The end tag was a cute homage to Artie, but it really makes the Harper character look foolish. The guy saved Jim's butt and all he gets is disrespect from Jim. In some ways I'm happy that RC was not in this because Artie probably would have gotten the same reaction from Jim.

TNOT Winged Terror Pt. II gets 2 out of a possible 5 stars.

-The whole thing get's a 2 and 1/2 stars out of 5! I can't believe Tycho got away!

Herr Ostropolyer

"Do me a favor Frank. Don't do me any more favors." -Jim West to Frank Harper at the end of the series' only two part story TNOT Weak oppps I mean Winged Terror.

Go to Top of Page

CharlieTobin
SS spy school graduate

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2007 :  18:04:06  Show Profile
I remember watching this on Minneapolis' Ch. 23 back in 1989, when it was billed by the network as "the Wild, Wild West movie". Naturally, I was quite intrigued, and cleared my schedule for the evening (not much going on then, as a 12-year-old) to tape and take in this monumental moment.

It wasn't quite all it promised as soon as the opening title card appeared, reading "The Night Of The Winged Terror, Part I". They did, rather roughly, chop off the end of the fourth act to avoid the "To Be Continued" card, and smashed it right into the scene in Mexico with the assassination plot. I'm not sure if this improved things or not...

Nonetheless, this two-parter had just enough "weird" to intrigue me. Tycho's giant head, the amber-colored glasses (and the aforementioned fabulous scene with Frank Harper shooting "himself" in the mirror), the reverse-shooting gun, etc.

In retrospect, and in comparison with other series, it's surprising that the WWW didn't have more two-parters. Obviously, every episode of "Batman" was a two-parter (as well as 3 three-parters, plus the entire third season, which stitched each episode into the next), and "The Man From U.N.C.L.E." had eight of them (which, as Herr Ostropolyer pointed out, dragged on quite a bit during the second part, most notably in the sad series finale, "The Seven Wonders Of The World Affair". Euggh...). "Mission: Impossible" had a handful of very good cliffhanger episodes, but it's kind of refreshing that, with this exception, our favorite series didn't rely on a dangling plot point to lure viewers back for a conclusion. Considering how closely placed this two-parter is to the end of the series, it makes you wonder if they saw the end coming and played it as a desperate move.

Who's ready for March 20?

"Eyes aren't enough these days!"
Go to Top of Page

Cindylover1969
SS novice field agent

United Kingdom
1269 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2007 :  09:51:58  Show Profile  Visit Cindylover1969's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by CharlieTobin
"The Man From U.N.C.L.E." had eight of them (which, as Herr Ostropolyer pointed out, dragged on quite a bit during the second part, most notably in the sad series finale, "The Seven Wonders Of The World Affair". Euggh...).

Actually, they only had five two-part stories (the first three movies were single-parters expanded).

Too bad Michele Carey couldn't have been allowed to be on the side of the angels - someone must have figured someone so sexy couldn't possibly be anything but evil.

"Make them both as uncomfortable as possible." - Marquis de la Mer, "The Night of the Watery Death"
Go to Top of Page

Ecstasy La Joie
SS novice field agent

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2007 :  14:22:38  Show Profile
I'm sexy and nobody thinks I'm evil!

Go to Top of Page

CharlieTobin
SS spy school graduate

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2007 :  15:07:39  Show Profile
I stand corrected, Cindylover...you're absolutely right. Hey, as you're in the UK, do you have the Region 2 UNCLE set with the movies? If so, how is it?

Sorry, everyone...gettin' off topic here!

"Eyes aren't enough these days!"
Go to Top of Page

JTW
SS novice field agent

USA
557 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2007 :  16:08:41  Show Profile
Ahhhh, Michele Carey,.......heavy sigh!!!
Go to Top of Page

Cindylover1969
SS novice field agent

United Kingdom
1269 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2007 :  23:56:46  Show Profile  Visit Cindylover1969's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by CharlieTobin

I stand corrected, Cindylover...you're absolutely right. Hey, as you're in the UK, do you have the Region 2 UNCLE set with the movies? If so, how is it?

Sorry, everyone...gettin' off topic here!

Back on it in a moment, but first... no, I don't have the set as yet. If I do get it I'll reply and let you know in more detail what the movies are like (short review: pretty good for the most part barring some of the campier elements - the only really bad one is How to Steal the World, Leslie Nielsen excepted).

"Make them both as uncomfortable as possible." - Marquis de la Mer, "The Night of the Watery Death"
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  20:06:42  Show Profile
Hoo–boy: "The Winged Terror." What a mixed bag this one is/these are. If RC hadn't taken that near-fatal fall in "The Night of the Fugitives," this two-parter might have been produced in Season Three, as originally scheduled (with the working title "The Ominous Oculist"). If that had happened, we'd have had Ross Martin, probably a somewhat different cast, a very different soundtrack, and Conrad with a haircut. (If couldron can retrieve it, sometime last year there were two WQs staged as a guessing-game based on the original script.)

Most of Part One I like. The teaser is one of the season's best: the introduction (to us) of Frank Harper, nicely staged as a reunion with West, and the weirdness in Pinewood. Act One is also good, with Winkler's assault on his own museum and the long scenes on the Wanderer with Roy Engle as President Grant. Act II slips a bit with Sheriff Elmo and the Brothers Brass, but things pick up nicely with the agents' discovery of not one but two Drs. Ocularis and the arrival of gorgeous Michele Carey. (Such a sexy voice in such a sexy lady. But I digress.) And Acts III and IV are full of fantastic business that, for the most part, we haven't seen since Season Two: kinetoscopes, booby-trapped cantinas and piñatas, one agent conditioned to kill another, a mysterious villain with a large head, a terrorist organization with an interesting fashion sense. So far, so good.

Then comes Part Two, and things unravel quickly though not immediately. The recap teaser is well done, and West as "The Manchurian Candidate" assassin is a shock on first viewing—though I think they goofed by giving away too quickly the deception of Harper as the intended victim. It's also lucky for our side that a crack–shot like West wasn't conditioned to put a bullet in his target's head. They make up for it somewhat by revealing a Mexican traitor inside Raven.

From there, however, what could have been a great two–parter turns pretty much into mush. To begin with, the director and film–cutters could have done a much better job of signaling to the audience how West knows he shot his partner in disguise (the photograph showing Sneed's ring on Harper's finger). Most of all—and this is fatal for the entire show—the world's most brilliant scientists start acting like total idiots. Laurette becomes a teenager with raging hormones around West. (I know the ladies will agree with her but, please, I'm building an argument.) Raven drops its security and lets in, not only an accredited U. S. agent, but a foreign outsider, whose student has conveniently forgotten what his teacher sounded like and everything that only the two of them could have known about each other. West makes a direct attack on Tycho, and the Genius of the Ages doesn't have him killed on the spot. Instead, he and his group allow the agents to dupe them with ridiculous charades and bluffs, so that they can still not kill the two intruders who can destroy their organization.

You will say, "They can't kill Our Heroes. They—or at least Conrad—must be back next week." I say, plot us a better Part Two that doesn't make a mockery of everything that has preceded. Don't give us Raven as sinister geniuses one week, then blind-and-deaf morons the next. With more work Frank Harper and Tycho could have been made into interesting characters. Heck, we could have had a first-rate, first-season love scene between West and Laurette, which would have pleased everyone. But Part Two just goes through the motions: standard bad-guys, simple eye–candy, the guy in disguise. Been there, seen that.

It's too bad. Given more to work with, Carey, William Schallert, and Christopher Cary could have boosted these episodes with a nice charge. Robert Prince's music for Part One is one of the weirdest in the entire series—certainly better than his awful score for "The Doomsday Formula"—but most of it has fallen away from Part Two, when they reach into the stockroom for music and practically everything else.

Averaged out, I guess this is 1/2. Folks, this one had real potential, but they got careless, tired, cash-poor, or some combination of all of them. Although we've seen it coming before now, West has the look of a series winding down.
Go to Top of Page

suprpntr
Secret Service recruit

46 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  21:23:44  Show Profile
Although I can't totally disagree with the review, this was one of my favs. One of the first I saw as a kid back in 69. This episode made me a fan! And I can still enjoy it today. Of course it is one of only a couple I have on tape so I have no choice...LOL.

Just a different perspecitve.
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  07:44:38  Show Profile
suprpntr: Although I can't totally disagree with the review, this was one of my favs. One of the first I saw as a kid back in 69. This episode made me a fan! And I can still enjoy it today. Of course it is one of only a couple I have on tape so I have no choice...LOL. Just a different perspecitve.

And a perspective to which you are richly entitled, without apology. One unwritten observance in these reviews goes something like this: Any episode that converted one of us to a fan of the series is, at least for that one among us, a five– winner.
Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  15:01:53  Show Profile
quote:
[i](If couldron can retrieve it, sometime last year there were two WQs staged as a guessing-game based on the original script.)

http://www.wildwildwest.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=1117&SearchTerms=Ominous,Oculist
http://www.wildwildwest.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=1104&SearchTerms=Ominous,Oculist

Mary
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2007 :  18:05:58  Show Profile
Thanks for the links, Mary. Did I say sometime last year? My, how time flies.
Go to Top of Page

Cindylover1969
SS novice field agent

United Kingdom
1269 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  00:58:25  Show Profile  Visit Cindylover1969's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by ccb It's also lucky for our side that a crack–shot like West wasn't conditioned to put a bullet in his target's head.

It's amazing how rarely people go for the head in situations like this, isn't it? Bulletproof vests wouldn't help then (as Mad's Don Martin and the movie Fatal Beauty demonstrated).

quote:
Laurette becomes a teenager with raging hormones around West. (I know the ladies will agree with her but, please, I'm building an argument.)

Compare this to Michele Carey's last appearance as Gerda - okay, she did doublecross Manzeppi, but it's hard to imagine she wouldn't have done the same to our hero had things not turned out otherwise.

quote:
Robert Prince's music for Part One is one of the weirdest in the entire series—certainly better than his awful score for "The Doomsday Formula"

Worst score of the entire series, that was - where's Richard Shores when you need him?

quote:
—but most of it has fallen away from Part Two, when they reach into the stockroom for music and practically everything else.

But at least they brought back the playout cue from Part One, Act III (and in the same panel, but sadly not with Michele) which also turns up in "The Night of the Diva."

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

4 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2007 :  06:23:04  Show Profile
So this is the ep with the guy with the big head! I haven't seen this one in many years.I always remembered it as
being pretty good.When I got the first set of DVDs (Colunbia House),I was expecting TNOT Raven to be this one.
Bring on seasons 3 and 4!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000