The Dunn—Dorin Duets
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  07:09:29  Show Profile
The Dunn–Dorin duets are popular enough that we should probably start a new thread on it.

Norman: RE: Michael Dunn and Pheobe Dorin's musical selections. I think the strangest one I had ever seen was in TNOT Raven. ((I think it was Raven)) Both were singing "Sloop John B", which had been a top 3 hit several months before for the Beach Boys. The Wreck of the "John B" (Traditional; adapted and arranged by Hays-Sandburg-Waihall) Lee Hays of The Weavers adapted this old folk tune from the Bahamas from a version in poet Carl Sandburg's 1927 songbook TheAmerican Songbag.

Anyone know the origins of the song that Phoebie Dorin sang at the beginning of act 1 on "Green Terror"? Right before Loveless popped up from under the table.

ccb: Beats me. But I suppose you and others have noticed that it's the same song that Loveless and Antoinette both sing, with harpsichord accompaniment, at the beginning of Act II of "The Night That Terror Stalked the Town" (1965).

I think my personal favorite of all those interludes is their very first, "Bring Me a Little Water, Sylvie" ("The Night the Wizard Shook the Earth," Act II). It's the longest, uninterrupted duet they ever had. Melodically and harmonically, I find it the most charming of them all.

My vote for the weirdest of all is that bizarre version of "False-Hearted Lover" (AKA "On Top of Old Smokey"), in "The Night of the Whirring Death" (Act II). Arranged to a carousel's hurdy-gurdy, that jaunty little waltz is given heart-warming lyrics for the whole family, like this:

And the grave will decay you,
The ————, they will die;
And we'll all be forsaken
And never know why.

Norman: If your FSM brainchild ever came to pass, wouldn't it be marvelous to punctuate that disc's arrangements of suites from the series' scores with some of the Dunn–Dorin duets?

SordoTheBandit
SS 1st assignment - desk job

469 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2002 :  08:34:29  Show Profile
(*Norman: If your FSM brainchild ever came to pass, wouldn't it be marvelous to punctuate that disc's arrangements of suites from the series' scores with some of the Dunn–Dorin duets?*)[i]

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

MonkeeMaven
SS 1st assignment - desk job

393 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  10:23:24  Show Profile  Visit MonkeeMaven's Homepage
Aaaahhh! The Beach Boys are haunting me! Will I ever escape???? *faints* *drools over Beach Boys*

"There's some good people out there, but there's a lot of fluff. Things like 'N Sync and Britney (Spears). These people are about as deep as a birdbath."
David Crosby, Feb. 2002
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000