Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  15:19:49  Show Profile
Which character(s) in our favorite series

1. Contracted smallpox?
2. Experienced psychedelic hallucinations?
3. Wheezed with swamp fever?
4. Limped with gout?
5. Jerked from traumatic shock?
6. Was threatened with "a sore throat"?
7. Had a ruptured spleen?
8. Was allergic to grass?
9. Flirted with alkali poisoning?
10.Suffered a stroke?

lleroy
SS 1st assignment - desk job

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  15:58:46  Show Profile
I'll jump in here and do the easy ones:

1. Cloris, of course, from Amnesiac.

3. Liston Day, in Man-Eating House.

Leslie

Go to Top of Page

K Mills
SS novice field agent

849 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  16:19:35  Show Profile
I thought Cloris had forgotten to eat and had a cold? Anyway, number two had to be Jim in Murderous Spring. On 5 how about Jim again in Burning Diamond. That had to hurt! 6 could be Artie in Night of the Falcon. Or maybe that was his sinus'? On 8 didn't Artie say once he had hay fever? It was a secret remember? Number 9, Jim flirted with alkali poisoning in Jack O Diamonds drinking from that nasty water hole! Bleech!

Go to Top of Page

AdorableBlue
SS novice field agent

948 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  17:29:12  Show Profile  Visit AdorableBlue's Homepage
No. 8 - could that ever be Miguelito in Green Terror? Gee, Mig must surely fit into one of these........! :) K, don't know if Jim or Artie are supposed to fit into any of these.....ccb did not say no either. Hmmm....I'm lost.

No. 4 - where are all the limping characters.......gosh! ccb..! your questions caused a black out all of a sudden.

AdorableBlue
Go to Top of Page

K Mills
SS novice field agent

849 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  17:52:38  Show Profile
On 4 in Burning Diamond the Aunt who our bad guy put in the box and shipped out supposedly had a relapse of gout and had gone to take the waters in Europe. Why can't I remember any names tonight???

Go to Top of Page

AdorableBlue
SS novice field agent

948 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2002 :  19:00:43  Show Profile  Visit AdorableBlue's Homepage
quote:

On 4 in Burning Diamond the Aunt who our bad guy put in the box and shipped out supposedly had a relapse of gout and had gone to take the waters in Europe. Why can't I remember any names tonight???

I'd only remember her name as Lady Margaret - any names that James and Artie kept repeating will surely be ringing in me ears!!!!

AdorableBlue
Go to Top of Page

mcbride5j
SS spy school graduate

61 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2002 :  12:19:55  Show Profile
I agree with Lleroy and Blue on 1, 3, and 8. Were these actually seen or just talked about? Not that it makes a difference, I still don't have a clue. I don't remember the episode, but didn't Arte try to shut some sort of electricity down and got shocked? It was a Loveless epi and I remember that Loveless said, "I hope he's dead." But that wouldn't exactly be traumatic shock.

Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2002 :  13:19:34  Show Profile
quote:
. Limped with gout?

How about Arte in Sedgewick Curse?
quote:
Was threatened with "a sore throat

Arite in Watery Death. He was fighting off a cold and a sore thoat. He had his feet in a bucket of water. All the while he was preparing, a speach about how bombs would be dropped from the air.

Go to Top of Page

K Mills
SS novice field agent

849 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2002 :  13:32:51  Show Profile
Artie got quite a shock in Bogus Bandits! Blew that transformer up! As my Aunt Maude always said, "If you can't win, you can always upset the board!"

Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2002 :  09:57:38  Show Profile
Looks like it's time for me to step in and prime the pump. In particular, I encourage you all to attend carefully to the precise wording:

4. Her nefarious nephew claimed that she suffered the gout, but we never saw Lady Margaret, limping otherwise. Who limped and complained of gout?

5. mcbride5j is correct: Artie didn't jerk in "The Bogus Bandits," and an electrrical shock is not the same thing as shock due to trauma.

6. In "The Watery Death," the most Artie acknowledged to be suffering was a cold. Jim was the one who said that, but nothing of a sore throat. Notice, too, that you are looking for someone who was threatened.

8. Having suffered from both, I can vouch for the difference between hay fever and grass allergy. Besides, the character in question claimed to be specifically "allergic to grass."

9. I will concede K Mills's point that a sun-roasted hell-hole in unmapped Mexican desert hardly offers Poland Spring. Still, here's the relevant quote: "And [we're] about five minutes away from dying of thirst or alkali poisoning."

Hope this helps . . .

Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2002 :  04:54:30  Show Profile
quote:
Hope this helps . . .

Maybe if I answered 9. right otherwise I am just confused.

2. Experienced psychedelic hallucinations?
Jim in Winged Terror Part I
4. Limped with gout?
Arte in Sedgewick Curse
9. Flirted with alkali poisoning?
Arte in Montezuma's Hordes

Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2002 :  09:28:26  Show Profile
My thanks, and Henry feathers all around, to those who played or contributed to WQ 63: Adorable, mcbride5j. Full plumage to K Mills, with one correct answer, and to couldron, with another. With two other correct identifications, Leslie takes the Arabella.

Your quizmaster is endlessly fascinated by these quizes: what turns out being a piece of cake, what ends up the Devil's own food. I can never predict accurately. In any event, here are last weekend's correct answers.

1. Cloris, indeed, shivvered with smallpox, as diagnosed by Dr. Gordon ("The Night of the Amnesiac," Act IV).
2. Jim, unquestionably, suffered pscyhedelic hallucinations in Acts I and II of "The Night of the Murderous Spring."
3. Of course, Liston Day wheezed and ulimately died of that mysterious swamp fever ("The Man-Eating House," Acts I, IV).
4. Posing as Colonel Doyle, Artemus indeed limped and complained of gout in "The Sedgewick Curse" (Act I). Another character limped, complained, and actually suffered from gout: the doomed Colonel Arnette of "The Brain" (Act I).

So much for what turned out to be the sliders. Now for the curve balls:

5. To the best of my memory, the only character who jerked from medically diagnosed shock, resulting from trauma, was Able Seaman Myron Kendrick, who lived only long enough to confirm the agents' worst suspicions about the U.S.S. Youngston in "The Night of the Deadly Blossom" (Act I).
6. Jason threatened Heissel with "a sore throat" (a knife to his neck) before all hell broke loose in Rosie's waterfront bar ("The Egyptian Queen," Act I).
7. Again, Dr. Gordon diagnosed a rupture spleen in "The Simian Terror" (Act I). Dr. Von Liebig did not contradict this as cause of Fletcher's death.
8. "[Ahh-choo!] Sorry, Mr. West. This is more first assignment in the field, and I'm allergic to grass" (Bosley Cranston, "The Camera," Act III).
9. West: "Where are we?" Gordon: "I'd say about twenty miles from the middle of nowehere, and about five minutes away from dying of thirst or alkali poisoning" (just prior to their wagon's interception by "The Cadre," Act I).
10. Dr. Hanskell: "A stroke, and not his first," pondering the very ill Stefan Novakovic ("Tne Wolf," end of Act II; quotation, "Act III").

Join me next weekend for a seasonal WQ. In the meantime, have a good week.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000