New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

couldron
SS novice field agent

1444 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2003 :  19:16:53  Show Profile
quote:
3. Why don't all of this site's frequent flyers collaborate in rating, in one to five stars with specified highlights and lowlights, each of the 104 episodes? Who's better qualified than we to render this service to a waiting world? At one episode a week, it would take us only two years to do the job.

Why Don't we?
It seems that the place to start is The Night of the Inferno.
The gadgets were plenty. The train I thought was in top form with the warning lights the hidden door opener and weapons not to mention that pool table.
Suzanne Pleshette was very good and I love her shooting.
Arties quips were amusing and his disguises were charming. I especially liked the tipping of his sombrero as he accepted a tip from James. I also like watching him not drink the water that he just picked something out of and threw away.
The episode does not have the fight scenes for which the series became known but I didn't miss it either.
I would give this a 5
How about the rest of you

Colonel Cross
SS spy school graduate

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2003 :  21:34:13  Show Profile
Has to be a five....without this episode there could be no others.

Don't forget the great snare drum solo while Jim is gathering his weapons and gadgets.

That's Mars, Nevada?
Go to Top of Page

AdorableBlue
SS novice field agent

948 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  05:02:48  Show Profile  Visit AdorableBlue's Homepage
quote:
Don't forget the great snare drum solo while Jim is gathering his weapons and gadgets.

And the introduction to our two feathered friends! And I love JW with those black gloves! Sexy! Duh! He never wore that in subsequent eps! Ah! And that JW walk..........! (His pants weren't that tight yet!).

My only lowlight was in the final act when JW faced the dying Manolo. Was RC having make-up on his face? It looked as though the make-up was cracking or melting, esp. near one of his eyebrows! In fact, in one or two other scenes, that "eyebrow" seemed to make me think he was with some stage make-up. Perhaps after this, RC never used anymore make-up since it has proven not too reliable for him!

AdorableBlue
Go to Top of Page

MonkeeMaven
SS 1st assignment - desk job

393 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  07:21:22  Show Profile  Visit MonkeeMaven's Homepage
One gripe I have with it and many first season episodes is that many comments and scenes come across downright racist towards Orientals to the modern eye. While I'm no stickler to political correctness, that in particular annoys me and I don't know why.
Go to Top of Page

K Mills
SS novice field agent

849 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  08:38:52  Show Profile
Hey blue, that eyebrow stuff was an attempt to show the marks from the beating the bad guys gave him. It was one of the few times I've seen actual beating marks on his face. Oh, that face. I love that ep.
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3908 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  13:21:57  Show Profile
The Night of the Inferno: Out of five , I'd give it .

Downsides: Being the pilot episode, nobody but Ross Martin had yet figured out what to do with the character of Artemus. The fight scenes are serviceable, though not yet so elaborately choreographed. Except for the Chinese eye-candy (Mei Lei), Lydia is the only honey in the hive. The end-of-act freeze-frames are too primitive. Like much of the episode's design, many of the series elements are there, they are moving in the right direction, but it hasn't all gelled.

Upsides: A lot. The script does a nice job of requisite exposition, necessary to explain a series, while injecting lots of plot and character twists. In fact, when you think about it, someone coming to the series naïvely wouldn't know at first that the hero was the hero; the partner, his partner; the lady, a good lady; who's the real heavy. A lot of money was poured into the sets, design, and wardrobe, and it shows. Terrific staging and photography by Sarafian and Phillips. (You gotta love those high-keyed, well-lit, rain-slicked night scenes.) RC is beautiful but stiff as a board; the other actors are terrific. Markowitz's music launches the series' nicely, especially his B-theme (Fender bass and brushes on snare) for the suiting-up scene in Act I.

And—as someone has already pointed out—it sold the show!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

243 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  18:15:12  Show Profile
Lesseee... hmmm.
I'm torn between a and a .
Probably like everyone else I have warm n'fuzzy feelings towards this ep because it was the first. I don't know if it's justified to give it a better rating just because of that, because you can already see basically all the elements that made our "favourite programme" become what it became (HI Monkeemav! )
I don't have the ep with me but what would make me lower the rating would be the fact that the comraderie between Artie and Jim has not developed yet... My highest stars would go to the eps that show their friendship the best and to the ones where our dear Artie shines.
Go to Top of Page

SordoTheBandit
SS novice field agent

554 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  19:41:59  Show Profile

Love it. I'd give six if I could.
Go to Top of Page

beerbad
SS novice field agent

759 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2003 :  08:06:31  Show Profile
Five. Excellent. Serious. Movie quality.
Go to Top of Page

Redhead1617
SS novice field agent

USA
1393 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2003 :  08:59:42  Show Profile  Visit Redhead1617's Homepage
"MonkeeMaven-One gripe I have with it and many first season episodes is that many comments and scenes come across downright racist towards Orientals to the modern eye. While I'm no stickler to political correctness, that in particular annoys me and I don't know why. "

Yeah, I agree Mave that I don't care too much for the racist stuff but I recently read my second western book (well, first 'real' western) and it too had an annoying racist tendancy towards Orientals. Maybe (sadly) that is true to the time period?

*sigh...where's MY Ross Martin?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000