John Kneubuhl
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

beerbad
SS novice field agent

684 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2003 :  08:44:03  Show Profile
How can John Kneubuhl write excellent episodes like Man-Eating House and Murderous Spring and then write Green Terror?

I know green Terror has some redeeming factors: not a bad premise with Loveless destroying the plant life, Dunn and Dorin sing and a good fight scene with Jim using speed to take down the mechanical knight; but come on!

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2003 :  10:20:54  Show Profile
I don't care for this episode either. But I don't know why. So beerbad you told us the redeeming factors. Please tell what you don't like maybe then I will be able to pinpoint my own dislike.
Go to Top of Page

beerbad
SS novice field agent

684 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2003 :  11:36:17  Show Profile
Well, the whole Loveless as the Master of the Forest aka Robin Hood wasn't good.

Artie as a dancing Indian wasn't good either and neither was Paul Fixx{the sheriff on the Rifleman} or Anthony Caruso as Indians. The lady who later played Boss Hogg's wife on the Dukes of Hazzard was also an Indian.

etc. and etc. You can probably add some, Couldron.
Go to Top of Page

K Mills
SS novice field agent

849 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2003 :  18:34:36  Show Profile
I liked this episode - horses, Artie as Bob Herron wailing away with a huge butt of pork, nice jumping over the horse stunt, good fight scenes, colors, funny lines, jim and artie tied to one another, I could go on and on. However, Artie was very annoying as a singng indian woman.
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2003 :  20:14:44  Show Profile
beerbad: How can John Kneubuhl write excellent episodes like Man-Eating House and Murderous Spring and then write Green Terror?

The answer, I fear, is that everything we see on the screen cannot be credited to, or blamed on, the designated screenwriter. In this case, I am pretty sure that the things you dislike in "The Night of the Green Terror" are the work of story consultant Henry Sharp. It's a matter of documented fact that he devised the idea of the mechanical knight, even of a "bazooka" bow-and-arrow contraption that never made it into production. I'd guess that he was also responsible for "Artie Squaw" and other touches of broad humor that beerbad dislikes (and won't find in earlier Kneubuhl episodes).

When Bruce Lansbury took over production after Michael Garrison's death, Henry Sharp was given increasingly more say-so over scripts. Both Ken Kolb and John Kneubuhl rhapsodized over working with Garrison (as their episodes show: "The Burning Diamond," "The Murderous Spring"). In the Kesler Bible, Kneubuhl explicitly singled out for criticism what Sharp did to his scripts. Sharp's influence, according to Kneubuhl, was a major factor in the latter's decision to leave the series, after scripting "The Surreal McCoy" as a favor for a friend.

Which is too bad. You can tell the Kneubuhl touches, even in a doctored script like "The Green Terror." When West and Loveless argue over the right of "children to cry in the night" at Loveless's hands, you still can hear Kneubuhl's voice. When he left the series, that voice left with him.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Col. Richmond (SS Director)

USA
1898 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2003 :  12:19:48  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage
It's not as simple as what is in Sue's book (and I don't have time to write an essay right now on it).

Let me start by asking: how many of you have actually read Kneubuhl's scripts?

-------------------------------------------------
Your WildWildWest.org AdminMaven
admin@wildwildwest.org
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2003 :  17:40:44  Show Profile
Let me start by asking: how many of you have actually read Kneubuhl's scripts?

I for one have not—though not for lack on interest, I promise you. If you can arrange to make that possible, at an affordable price, you have a buyer!

It's not as simple as what is in Sue's book . . .

Few things ever are. I'm working, not only on that basis and from my own judgment of the episodes, but on TV Guides of the period and Craig's later interview with Ken Kolb. To my knowledge, Mr. Sharp is not yet on public record about how he found working with Messrs. Kneubuhl and Kolb.

. . . (and I don't have time to write an essay right now on it).

Whenever you're ready, sassy. We're all ears.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000