WQ 97: The Night of the Whirring Death
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2003 :  13:41:06  Show Profile
1. How many of the memorable character actors in this episode also appeared in various segments of The [Original] Twilight Zone? (Extra points for naming the episodes in which they appeared.)
2. Which of the props appearing in this episode was a toy actually available for purchase in 1966? (Extra points if you can identify its marketing name and manufacturer.)
3. Who, connected with this episode, had been earlier associated with the series Adventures of Superman, Perry Mason, and, later, with Columbo?
4. For the first time we see in this episode a scene, later reshot in color, which appeared frequently in the series, especially in the second season. Name it.
5. Who used this and other television productions to later work with John Wayne? (Extra points if you can identify this artist's subtle trademark.)
6. Which of the actors in this episode was a lesser-known, sometime member (or fellow traveler) with Frank Sinatra's infamous Rat Pack?
7. Which of the actors in this episode pitched Dodge automobiles during the era when this episode was originally broadcast?
8. For which of the actors in this episode did the famous play (later, movie) Harvey provide a breakthrough role?
9. Which of the characters in this episode was based on an actual personage in late nineteenth-century San Francisco?
10. After this episode, do we ever again see the exterior of Grandfather Ames's toy shop? If so, in what episodes?
11. Name two goofs—one onscreen, the other implied—associated with the satchel of money, presented in Act I.
12. With this episode, an important piece of Loveless lore is last mentioned, never again to reappear. What is it?
13. For which of the actors in this episode did Robert Conrad "go to the mat" with the producers to hire?
14. To what ghastly event in American history does one of this episode's characters make reference?
15. Which of the actors in this episode completed a career by pitching Maytag washing machines?
16. What is odd about this episode, given its television "genre" and its original date of broadcast?
17. After this episode, do we ever again see the three–pony carousel? If so, in what episode(s)?
18. After this episode, do we ever again see the roly-poly clown? If so, in what episode(s)?
19. What occasional tradition of presentation does this episode inaugurate?
20. What is wrong with this episode's title?

MonkeeMaven
SS 1st assignment - desk job

393 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2003 :  14:53:21  Show Profile  Visit MonkeeMaven's Homepage
I'm going to pluck a feather from a chicken and let the doves rest. Pay no heed to what my insane brother posted on the message before I edited it.
Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2003 :  16:34:33  Show Profile
1. Pamela Austin Valerie Number 12 Looks Just Like You
Richard Kiel Kanamit To Serve Man
Barbara Nichols Liz Powell Twenty-Two
Jason Winigian Neighbor Midnight Sun
Conductor A Stop at Willoughby
Jesse White Cavender Cavender is Comming
Fixit Shop Manager Once Upon a Time
7. Pamela Austin
8 and 15 Jesse White I saw him in Harvey at Central City Opera House
18. Hangman
20. There are no deaths in the episode???? Whirring or otherwise.
Go to Top of Page

AdorableBlue
SS novice field agent

948 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2003 :  17:35:09  Show Profile  Visit AdorableBlue's Homepage
No. 2 - I would have thought those soldiers would have existed then. But, I'm not sure and I certainly don't know the details.

No. 4 - Might have been other answer but would that double-leaf trapdoor on the floor be the answer? It appears in many eps, e.g. Golden Cobra, Skulls, etc.

No. 17 - Just guessing - TNOT Mig's Revenge or Circus of Death?

No. 18 - Mary's right - Hangman

AdorableBlue
Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2003 :  18:08:48  Show Profile
12. With this episode, an important piece of Loveless lore is last mentioned, never again to reappear. What is it?
The mention of Loveless lore is throwing me but it is the last time we saw Voltaire.
Go to Top of Page

Redhead1617
SS novice field agent

USA
1393 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2003 :  19:33:16  Show Profile  Visit Redhead1617's Homepage
3)"Writer Jackson Gillis went on to prominence as a writer and eventual story editor for arguably the greatest American mystery series of all time, "Columbo.""
11)Scrouge(?)
14)The Depression
15)Jesse White " but is probably best known as the original Maytag repairman. "

source for 3 & 15: http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/EpisodeGuideSummary/showid-145/season-1

*sigh...where's MY Ross Martin?
Go to Top of Page

Redhead1617
SS novice field agent

USA
1393 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2003 :  19:56:28  Show Profile  Visit Redhead1617's Homepage
1) Jesse White was in the pilot ep of Twilight Zone

really CCB, this is downright dirty! I'm nowhere near the generation that should be able to answer most of these, & Blue & Mary got the easy ones !

Guess I have to just keep on researching this time period of long ago...

Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2003 :  22:24:10  Show Profile
quote:
& Blue & Mary got the easy ones !

GUILTY
2 In watching this episode, nothing jumped out at me. I thought maybe the stuffed bear or the bicyle there was also a Raggy Anne Doll. I don't think that doll existed in that time frame but it definetly did in the 1960's
4 John Cranes home the stair case and that lovely seat which swung around in Raven another Loveless episode.
11 The money is in spanish.I should have left this one for K if she hasn't blown away.
12 This is the last time that Loveless threatened to take over California. It is also the last we see of Voltaire and he spoke in this episode.
14 Donner's Pass
Go to Top of Page

AdorableBlue
SS novice field agent

948 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2003 :  17:28:11  Show Profile  Visit AdorableBlue's Homepage
quote:
I'm nowhere near the generation that should be able to answer most of these, & Blue & Mary got the easy ones

Hey, Red, no, no, Blue's in yer shoes, too! I certainly have no idea about those other fellas ccb mentioned nor the Twilight Zone eps! Its just plain James West and WWW!!! Easy ones? Naw.........this memory fails me even though I watched the eps hundreds of times!!!

(ccb has amazing memory bank!)

AdorableBlue
Go to Top of Page

beerbad
SS novice field agent

684 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2003 :  08:24:54  Show Profile
Is #6 Peter Lawford? It's been awhile since I watched Whirring death.
But, that's why these quizzes are great; they make you want to go back and watch them again.
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2003 :  19:45:07  Show Profile
Twelve-Hour Warning: Gert those last answers in quickly. Early Monday afternoon (EDT) be calling time, awarding feathers, following up on some answers—and making a special announcement, elated to this quiz, that none of you will want to miss!

Tomorrow afternoon: Be here or be squeer.
Go to Top of Page

Colonel Cross
SS spy school graduate

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2003 :  21:01:58  Show Profile
Well...I will try a few...

2. The train set?....It looks like a Tyco, Golden West Set.

12. Is this the last time Loveless claims that the State of California owes him land?

17. Tnot Eccentrics

18. Tnot Eccentrics, Tnot Miguelito's Revenge

...and Norman Fell has to be an answer to one of these...

That's Mars, Nevada?
Go to Top of Page

K Mills
SS novice field agent

849 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2003 :  15:26:39  Show Profile
Gert? Squeer? Elated? Happy Mother's Day everybody! And remember, there's a little bit of mother in all of us. I spent the day with my horse, she's a mother too.
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2003 :  16:39:06  Show Profile
You guys arne't going to believe this—but I just spent the past half-hour typing in all this quiz's correct answers—then, through a computer glitch lost them all!

Fudge! Fudge! Fudge!

Okay: Before I take a coffee-break, return to the keyboard to type them in again—sigh!—follow me to the thread "Win an Original Loveless Weapon! But Hurry!"
Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2003 :  16:41:26  Show Profile
quote:
Fudge! Fudge! Fudge!

Yes I know the feeling.
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2003 :  20:44:50  Show Profile
Once more, with feeling (a really painful feeling):

How many of the memorable character actors in this episode also appeared in various segments of The [Original] Twilight Zone? (Extra points for naming the episodes in which they appeared.) Mary got most of these, though I think Val Avery showed up in at least one ("Night of the Meek" [1960]), maybe more. Jesse White did not appear in the TZ pilot, but James Gregory—West's first President Grant—did. But why didn't anybody mention that other character actor, Ross Martin ("The Four of Us Are Dying," "Death-Ship")?

Which of the props appearing in this episode was a toy actually available for purchase in 1966? I wasn't thinking of Raggedy Ann or Tycho trains, but I'd bet Mary and the Colonel are right about those. For the one I was thinking about—which some lucky bidder out there can own—see the the new thread, "Win An Original Loveless Weapon! But Hurry!"

Who, connected with this episode, had been earlier associated with the series Adventures of Superman, Perry Mason, and, later, with Columbo? Jackson Gillis indeed: TV mystery-scripter extraordinaire.

For the first time we see in this episode a scene, later reshot in color, which appeared frequently in the series, especially in the second season. Name it. The old "West's-slide-down-the-wooden-chute" scene, later reprised in "The Golden Cobra," "The Raven," "Poisonus Posey," and "Feathered Fury."

Who used this and other television productions to later work with John Wayne? Mark Rydell, who, like Richard Donner, used this and other series as stepping-stones to motion-picture direction. His trademark: l - o - n - g scenes, without a cut. For instance: Governor Exposition talks West's ears off, on the street outside Priscilla's (ahem) bedroom.

Which of the actors in this episode was a lesser-known, sometime member (or fellow traveler) with Frank Sinatra's infamous Rat Pack? Norman Fell. See the original Ocean's 11 (1960).

Which of the actors in this episode pitched Dodge automobiles during the era when this episode was originally broadcast? Pamela Austin, ya betcha. Dressed in a clingy black woolen sweater (sigh) and a white cowboy hat, she'd smile into the camera, point her finger, and say, "The Dodge Rebellion wants you."

For which of the actors in this episode did the famous play (later, movie) Harvey provide a breakthrough role? Which of the actors in this episode completed a career by pitching Maytag washing machines? Jesse White, ya betcha.

Which of the characters in this episode was based on an actual personage in late nineteenth-century San Francisco? Bessie Bowen, whose real-life counterpart, Jessie Hayman, ran a famous bordello for upscale San Franciscans on 44 Mason Street. (Your Quizmeister is strangely proud that he knows this.)

After this episode, do we ever again see the exterior of Grandfather Ames's toy shop? If so, in what episodes? At least twice: "The Feathered Fury" (Act II0; "The Hangman" (Act II).

Name two goofs—one onscreen, the other implied—associated with the satchel of money, presented in Act I. Hawkeye Mary spotted the dinero. As to the implied blooper: How could those toy soldiers have blown out Ratch's windows without so much as peeling the currency—which, for crying out loud, was stuffed inside the satchel the bomb bumped into?

With this episode, an important piece of Loveless lore is last mentioned, never again to reappear. What is it? Again, nice detective work by Mary and the Colonel: After this episode, Loveless has other, grander things in mind than owning California. He never returns to the subject.

For which of the actors in this episode did Robert Conrad "go to the mat" with the producers to hire? Richard Kiel. Details provided on request.

To what ghastly event in American history does one of this episode's characters make reference? Donner Pass. I'd bet couldron can provide the macabre details, on request.

What is odd about this episode, given its television "genre" and its original date of broadcast? Though first broadcast on 18 February 1966, this was West's "Christmas Episode" (children, toys, sleighbells, snow, Scrooge and Cratchit lookalikes). Too bad it was filmed in glorious b & w; otherwise, it might have been repeated during the series' color seasons.

After this episode, do we ever again see the three–pony carousel? If so, in what episode(s)? See Act I of "The Eccentrics": the crane-shot tracking West's stroll into the deserted amusement park. Nice job, Colonel.

After this episode, do we ever again see the roly-poly clown? If so, in what episode(s)? "The Eccentrics" (teaser), "The Hangman," (Act II), and—I think—"Miguelito's Revenge" (Act I).

What occasional tradition of presentation does this episode inaugurate? Watch "Whirring Death"'s teaser: For the first time, we have a superimposed title, telling us where the action takes place. For the only time, however, does this title card tell us when: 1874.

What is wrong with this episode's title? Couldron landed a knockout punch on the clown's nose.

The Feathers: A whirring Anabella for Mary, with seven correct answers; a runner-up Henry to Colonel Cross, with four right answers and a correct suspicion about a fifth; honorable mentions Adorable Blue, Redhead, and beerbad for playing. Blue receives my thanks for complimenting the Quizmeister's memory (flattery gets you somewhere on this site); Red, a pained grimace for her comment about my age (beware—someday you too may be an Old Fart).
Go to Top of Page

Redhead1617
SS novice field agent

USA
1393 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2003 :  08:32:01  Show Profile  Visit Redhead1617's Homepage
No insult meant ccb I'm just 21 & missed out on everything! Generation X has to be the boringest generation ever!

Boy, talk about embarrassing for me not mentioning Ross being on TW! & I was just talking to my dad last week about the eps he was on (that I have yet to see...)

They don't teach history like they used to I had to do my own research on Harper's Ferry after seeing Flaming Ghost, anybody (Mary? ) care to give me a history lesson on Donner Pass?

Go to Top of Page

K Mills
SS novice field agent

849 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2003 :  09:21:04  Show Profile
So many questions on just one episdoe - amazing! Donner Pass - would you like fries with that??
Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2003 :  09:56:37  Show Profile

I enjoyed this fan fic that was set on Donner's Pass.

http://www.wildwildwest.org/w2/fanfic/stories/storm/TNot_Storm_1.html
Go to Top of Page

Redhead1617
SS novice field agent

USA
1393 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2003 :  14:44:01  Show Profile  Visit Redhead1617's Homepage
yeah, I've read that one many times and still enjoy it so that's Donner Pass and it really happened, I usually do look and see if what I'm reading is historical (duh, by historical fic what else could *that* mean ) guess I should have not let myself slip

& yeah, I love fries McDonald's or BKs, depends on whether I like soft & soggy or crispy

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

243 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2003 :  18:15:34  Show Profile
quote:
For which of the actors in this episode did Robert Conrad "go to the mat" with the producers to hire? Richard Kiel. Details provided on request.

Kiss and tell, ccb dear. Details, details!
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2003 :  20:31:43  Show Profile
Kiss and tell, ccb dear. Details, details!

From the Craig Reid interview of Richard Kiel in his Cinefastique articles, elsewhere on this very site:

Recalled Kiel on his [being] involved, "It was a simple casting process [for "The Night the Wizard Shook the Earth"], I didn't know what they were looking for, I assumed for a big actor. It was an interesting story but was just supposed to be a one shot deal but they called me back to do a second one. I didn't speak in either one of those and so I had made my mind up not to do that again unless they included some dialogue. When I was asked back to do a third episode, now I had already worked on other things and there was a BONANZA episode that was written for me that I couldn't do because I was doing THE WILD, WILD WEST, so I was chagrin[ed] when I was told at casting that they had no intention of including dialogue. I said that I couldn't do it anymore. I was doing some other show at the same studio and ran into Robert Conrad and he said, "I guess I'll see you in a couple of weeks." I mentioned that, because I asked them to include some dialogue and they said, "Nothing doing," I wouldn't be on the show. Conrad asked me how long would I be on the lot and what sound stage I would be on. By lunchtime my agent told me they were writing the script to include dialogue. I really respected that guy and he was an understanding, unique man."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000