New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

couldron
SS novice field agent

1444 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2003 :  17:39:37  Show Profile
Time, o.k. past time, to rate another episode. The rating is from to
This episode has a novel based on it by Richard Wormser. I know many do not like this book but I do. In my mind, I have combined the two. Taking those things I like from the book to fill in for the episode and forgeting those things in the book that do not fit. Because of this, my attitude towards this episode is skewed. The book has some interesting devices. I cannot find my book at the moment to check my memory but I believe that Jim’s spurs became telegraph instruments. In Susan Kesler’s book, she calls this a very western episode and it is. One of my favorite spots is when Artie dressed as an Indian comes out of the saloon that Jim has just thrown someone through. The look he gives Jim is priceless although I have never understood this fight. There is lots of dialogue that is cute but Jim seems to order Artie around rather than them being equal partners.
My rating
½

K Mills
SS novice field agent

849 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2003 :  13:02:02  Show Profile
I don't know, Mary, everytime I see that episode I change my mind. At first I didn't like it at all and then I did but then I didn't. Jim's character in this one is all over the place, but Artemus is very good. My favorite scene I guess is when Jim jumps up out of the cellar with a gun and Artemus has a knife pointed at him. They're equally dangerous! I guess cause the horse chase scene was cool! I'd be interested to see ccb's opinion!
Go to Top of Page

Redhead1617
SS novice field agent

USA
1393 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2003 :  16:06:31  Show Profile  Visit Redhead1617's Homepage
I agree with K, rating & fav scene I thought that was great seeing the two partners with a weapon at each other's throats

*sigh...where's MY Ross Martin?
Go to Top of Page

AdorableBlue
SS novice field agent

948 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2003 :  17:30:37  Show Profile  Visit AdorableBlue's Homepage
quote:
My favorite scene I guess is when Jim jumps up out of the cellar with a gun and Artemus has a knife pointed at him. They're equally dangerous!

Uh-oh! Was there such a scene???? Where? Where? Tell me more!

AdorableBlue
Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1444 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2003 :  18:40:59  Show Profile
Mike McGreavy has followed Sheila Parnell and James to Sheila's house where he imprisons them in the cellar while he goes to get the boss. After a time,I think all night, Jim jumps out of the cellar door where he finds Artie pointing a knife at him.
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3908 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2003 :  19:53:38  Show Profile
Well . . . it's far from finest, yet a ways from worst. Call it

I think this the best of producer Collier Young's three episodes. (Was it his idea to texture the end-of-act frames as old-fashioned daguerrotypes? To continue the precedent set by the pilot: "The Night of . . . "? Whoever came up with these ideas in Season One deserves our thanks.) "The Double-Edged Knife" is a kind of second pilot for the series, introducing the characters and their relationships, which haven't yet gelled. Though he wasn't yet doing all his own fancy stunts, Conrad seems more relaxed than in "The Inferno." Martin, from the start, is good as gold. From a production standpoint, this is one of the series' most ambitious: lots of exterior shots, many wonderful scenes with the train, a mess of extras building railroads, chasing each other, shootin' 'em up. A good script by Stephen Kandel, punched up with too much broad humor; a terrific cast of character actors (including Katherine Ross, whom The Graduate would soon make a star. Very western, as almost everyone observes, but more stylish than most of the Lansbury oaters.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

243 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2003 :  20:01:43  Show Profile
A from me too, almost a ...
Fine, fun ep. Love the scene inside the hut with Jim and Little Flower . Love Artie's disguise. Love Artie period. Love many things. I'm just stingy. I'm reserving the higher ratings for some of the fabulous episodes. Otherwise I'll end up giving full ratings to each and every ep!

Go to Top of Page

AdorableBlue
SS novice field agent

948 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2003 :  21:12:14  Show Profile  Visit AdorableBlue's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by couldron

Mike McGreavy has followed Sheila Parnell and James to Sheila's house where he imprisons them in the cellar while he goes to get the boss. After a time,I think all night, Jim jumps out of the cellar door where he finds Artie pointing a knife at him.

Oh yes, yes! It happened so fast that I didn't catch 'em at it! (I need a bigger screen TV!!!!!). Well, I'd give it a - can't be too stingy on the ratings! LOL!

Wonderful moments of the eps have been mentioned......including the torture scene! Not forgetting that "old man" disguise of Artie in the train with JW! (RC must have mustered all to keep from laughing out loud!) I know I would! Then there is also that what-to-do-when-you're-locked-up-with-JW-in-the-cellar scene! And amazingly, I especially like that American Knife character! Esp. his ending speech to West about "hard to kill a friend, so thought he'd like a new friend" - duh! I ain't good in quotes off this head of mine. But I do like that quote! ccb could quote that for me........

Ahhhh!!!! In one of the threads we were discussing about RM/AG? and how good he is with horses. The scene in this eps where AG dressed as Indian "jumped" onto a horse from the train - looked as though AG's good with horses!

AdorableBlue
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

243 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2003 :  12:13:58  Show Profile

quote:
In one of the threads we were discussing about RM/AG? and how good he is with horses.

AdoraBlue, is this the thread you refer to?
http://www.wildwildwest.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=325

So then we can declare Artie is not horse-challenged? I know nuthin' about horses but I jump at the chance to reivindicate our dear Artie's reputation... on anything.
Go to Top of Page

K Mills
SS novice field agent

849 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2003 :  16:40:46  Show Profile
Mary Couldron told me a LONG time ago that Artie is portrayed as an expert and I thinks she's bang on. Ross Martin was a good rider as well, BUT of course, Robert Conrad looked like he was born in the saddle so he suffers by association. Good horse scenes in this one!
Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1444 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2003 :  19:48:04  Show Profile
It is my understanding that RM did not like horses. I do believe that what we see is Ross's double on that horse.
Go to Top of Page

AdorableBlue
SS novice field agent

948 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2003 :  05:48:29  Show Profile  Visit AdorableBlue's Homepage
Oh yes, and that scene where JW *had* to follow Sheila when she walked past him - cute! I have always wondered why he had that urge to follow her! Merely attraction of pretty gal in tight jeans? And the music that went with that scene is rather unique. Was it played anywhere else?

AdorableBlue
Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1444 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2003 :  08:03:06  Show Profile
quote:
I have always wondered why he had that urge to follow her!

This is why I like the book. It does give an explanation of why he followed her and why she wore the jeans.

I don't know about the music calling ccb.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

101 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2003 :  12:33:19  Show Profile
quote:

It is my understanding that RM did not like horses. I do believe that what we see is Ross's double on that horse.

Yeah, I read that in either Kesler's book or Cangey's, although I don't remember which one. Apparently in the beginning of the first season, Ross was so uncomfortable with horses they never shot him getting on or off them; it was always a double, or they simply shot him already on or already off. It certainly seemed that later he was much more at home on them, at least for my observations!

"Things Artemus, are not always what they appear to be."
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3908 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2003 :  16:13:24  Show Profile
Merely attraction of pretty gal in tight jeans? And the music that went with that scene is rather unique. Was it played anywhere else?

At least two other times. It's a Robert Drasnin cue, composed for Artemus's knockout punch of Avery's night guard in "The Night of the Casual Killer" (Act III). It was recycled again for Faith Cadwallader's exit line from her hotel room in "The Night of the Human Trigger" (Act I).

Merely attraction of pretty gal in tight jeans?

That's where I'd put my money.
Go to Top of Page

beerbad
SS novice field agent

759 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2003 :  11:24:04  Show Profile
Four smilies on this one. I like the more serious episodes and this qualifies. Leslie Nielson holds his own in a fight with Jim and he only has one hand! That's a far cry from the later episodes where James beats 5 guys with no problem. Artie goes down in a fight too, but it is mostly as fake as his southern accent. Is John Drew barrymore Drew Barrymore's father? Good guest stars including Katharine Ross.
Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1444 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2003 :  12:36:03  Show Profile
Is John Drew barrymore Drew Barrymore's father?

Yes
Go to Top of Page

JimPhelps
SS 1st assignment - desk job

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2003 :  09:03:11  Show Profile
When I was 11 years old and discovering WWW this was one of the few episodes I was able to tape before my local station changed programming, as a result I watched it over and over again so, when I signed up for the Columbia House VHS collection in my early 20’s I don’t think I even bothered to watch “Double Edged Knife”. After seeing it as a discussion topic I decided to watch it again after many years. The verdict: I like it. I don’t think I would have enjoyed the series as much if Collier Young had remained producer but I enjoy a nice departure from the mad scientist and revolutionary type of villain once in a while (not to mention the almost endless parade of prospective Presidential assassins). What’s refreshing about the Collier Young episodes that separate them from most of the B&W episodes is Arte’s role. Throughout many of the first season episodes Jim and Arte’s relationship is cool to say the least; even though the Collier Young episodes clearly establish that Jim is the senior agent-in-charge, the two can easily share a laugh together. As the first season continued Jim became colder towards Arte and the friendly slap on the back he gives Arte at the end of “TNOT Torture Chamber” is refreshing since we don’t get much of that the first year. Arte also has much more time on screen and he’s allowed to display his talents, in this episode he wears three disguises, (okay two is more like it since one was just playing a dead fake Indian) and in the Young episodes he can throw a punch with the best of them. We wouldn’t see this much physical competence from Arte until “TNOT Burning Diamond” when he handles Rudd and Clive with aplomb, instead for most of the season Arte’s disguise would be uncovered and he would be knocked out so Jim could come to the rescue, and that’s not even mentioning the virtual cameos for Arte in the first two Loveless episodes, although I do like the fact that the producers had enough sense to know that Arte is smart enough to spot the faux Jim West in “TN Terror Stalked The Town”. The episode has some interesting characters, Leslie Nielsen is very good as the power hungry General Ball who’s decided to become a Latin American dictator since he can’t have the White House. He also makes a worthy adversary; since he already knows Jim he can keep one step ahead of the agent. American Knife is an interesting character as well, I don’t think too many television shows of the 1960’s had an Ivy League educated Native American so his character is years ahead of the conventional wisdom for its time. Katherine Ross is fine as the feisty Shelia Parnell, although she doesn’t get too much screen time; the Quaker bankers provide a nice atmosphere, and Elisha Cook Jr. rounds out the cast in a small role as a nasty underling. This is also the first time the daguerreotype style commercial break art is used, it’s my favorite because it’s the most detailed style, however the choices used are rather dull, three frames feature Jim and one the train, and the music is the same during all breaks except the last. So, for the second show in the series it’s not so bad, everyone’s still getting to know the terrain and the best is yet to come. Overall, I give it three out of four Arte prosthetic noses.

EEM
Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1444 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2003 :  10:40:36  Show Profile
Welcome JimPhelps/EEM
Your ratings of this episode was enjoyable to read. Hope you will do the same for the next one The Night of the Fatal Trap.
Go to Top of Page

JimPhelps
SS 1st assignment - desk job

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2003 :  12:04:04  Show Profile
I will have to dig through some old VHS to find "TNOT Fatal Trap", it may take awhile, I have an extensive collection. However, I do remember this episode fondly (the dinner scene, and Mojave Mike) and one of the few things I disagree about Sue Kessler's WWW Bible, she said that it was the worst episode of www. I strongly disagree; the only episode of WWW that I really can't watch is the silly gorilla episode with Richard Keil. In the 60's it was still very popular to believe that gorillas were vicious killers, since we now know that gorillas are shy and gentle the entire premise of the episode is shot. Oh well, one bad one out of more than 100 is a good track record. I will make it my MISSION to find “TNOT Fatal Trap” and review it.
quote:

Welcome JimPhelps/EEM
Your ratings of this episode was enjoyable to read. Hope you will do the same for the next one The Night of the Fatal Trap.

EEM
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3908 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2003 :  21:14:53  Show Profile
Welcome JimPhelps/EEM. Your ratings of this episode was enjoyable to read. Hope you will do the same for the next one The Night of the Fatal Trap.

Here, here! Thank you for such an intelligent and perceptive review! It's good to have you here on this site. Please return often.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000