The Night of the Casual Killer
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

couldron
SS novice field agent

1444 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2003 :  11:38:03  Show Profile
This episode is also very western. There is only one gimmick and that is an exploding watch. JW lets himself get beat up by the bad guys. Both JW and AG perform for the bad guys. Aritie was good but I don't understand why they didn't hang JW as a fraud for his magic act? I do like the scene where John Avery takes JW shooting. I thought the part of Laurie(Ruta Lee)showing Jim the where abouts of the hidden tunnel was plain embarrassing. Ruta Lee was totally unbelievable. I like the interaction between JW and AG especially the violin playing. That gets it a Rating of

K Mills
SS novice field agent

849 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2003 :  18:09:14  Show Profile
I liked this episode. I know, I shouldn't, but Jim is so cute in this one. Hugging on Artie, aaahh! The woman was lame, but that's not unusual. Jim looked so sexy leaning against the wagon smoking a cheroot! And when Artemus took Jim away from his whupping, rowdies, rowdies, it was so, well, sweet. So, I liked this one as much as Double-Edged Knife. Now, flamefest me guys!
Go to Top of Page

Redhead1617
SS novice field agent

USA
1393 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2003 :  15:58:26  Show Profile  Visit Redhead1617's Homepage
for the brotherhood between JW & AG; it was soo adorable in this one!! for the violin playing for the acting inside acting (& inside acting in RM's case ) for the girl a

total:
(pretty dang good for a b&w ep, I have slight ADD for most b&w eps)

*sigh...where's MY Ross Martin?
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3908 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2003 :  12:31:23  Show Profile
This one's always seemed to me very uneven. The outlaws are merely so; the main heavy wants nothing more than to be left alone. (Who couldn't sympathize with that?) Ruta Lee plays The Compleat Airhead. Except for one set (Avery's quarters), the style never exceeds Basic Sagebrush. There's no plot to speak of: Like to ore car at the show's end, the episode rattles along, going nowhere, until it lurches to a stop.

Pluses: Ross Martin is a duck in water, playing not only Shakespeare but gloriously hammy Shakespeare. It's fun to watch Conrad as a dude who won't fight back. Given a nothing part, John Dehner is all quiet meance: tall, silky, with that wonderfully sinister baritone. The exteriors were shot outside, not on a dull soundstage. (You can always tell from the lighting.) Robert Drasnin's music is among the series' best; surely it's the best thing about this show.

Go to Top of Page

beerbad
SS novice field agent

759 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2003 :  15:48:37  Show Profile
I was going to go for 3 but having just weatched it last night I can only give it a 2,also.

The photography is great with the sharpshooters on the rocks and a good serious teaser when they cold-bloodedly shot the government agent sent to bring in Avery and the low shot of the train arriving.

I guess at this point JW and AG were supposed to be undercover agents which is good but different than the later episodes. But, Jim as a dude doesn't work well and meant that he had to take another beating. In fact, Jim only threw one punch, I think, and Artie only threw one punch.

I did think it had a slam-bang ending.

But, Artie's parting line, "James, m' boy, you can't win 'em all" just about sums up my feelings on this one.
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3908 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2003 :  21:17:10  Show Profile
I was going to go for 3 but having just weatched it last night I can only give it a 2, also.

Beerbad: Where have you been? It's good to see you back on board.
Go to Top of Page

AdorableBlue
SS novice field agent

948 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2003 :  08:13:09  Show Profile  Visit AdorableBlue's Homepage
Hahaha......didn't know JW can do magic tricks! Must have taken some quick lessons from Artie the night before! His audience were real rowdies, weren't they? With all the cat whistles! Duh! What I don't like about this eps is JW's attire!!!!! And that "eye-ing" scene between the gal and JW finding an escape door - gosh! I don't understand why she must make those eye signals? Why can't she just tell him where it is?? It does boggle me mind!

Well, this is one eps we see JW very sure of himself in dire situations. He knows he's able to get the guy out alive!

AdorableBlue
Go to Top of Page

beerbad
SS novice field agent

759 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2003 :  09:12:46  Show Profile
Oh, I'm here every weekend, ccb. I enjoy this site very much and I try to chip in with what little knowledge I have. I guess you just haven't been on the right thread at the right time. But, it's nice to be missed.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

101 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2003 :  15:51:00  Show Profile
I got a kick out of the idea that West is unable to defend himself, and also liked the show routine a lot; however, overall, not the greatest imo....

"Things Artemus, are not always what they appear to be."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000