New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Steve Skodzinsky
SS spy school graduate

52 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2003 :  17:53:42  Show Profile
Hello Everyone!

In a recent post I hinted at the possibilty of a future WWW soundtrack release. I have located the current whereabouts of the source music composed for the Wild Wild West as well as many other TV shows which were produced by CBS. It is archived at the Special Collections department of the UCLA Music Library. This archive is under the auspicies of an organization known as the Film Music Society (www.filmmusicsociety.org) of which I have become a recent member. The FMS has recently embarked on a program to restore some of these historic recordings to CD. Their first CD was released a few months ago and its title is "Music from CBS Westerns". This is interesting because one of the tracks released is from the TV western "Rawhide", specifically an episode entitled "Six Weeks at Bent Fork". It is important to us because some portions of this music was used in TNOT Red-Eyed Madman and TNOT Freebooters.

Hopefully the FMS will release music from the Wild Wild West proper, as well. It is important to point out that the FMS will only be selling their CDs to members and not the general public.

If you love the music from WWW as much as I do, I think this is the "best shot" we are ever going to have at the release of a CD Soundtrack.

I would also like to direct everyone to an interesting WWW site I found:

http://membres.lycos.fr/tmcr/thewww1.shtml

This site is a French site devoted to the Wild Wild West (it is in English) and it has one of the best discussions of the composers and their musical contributions to the www.

I await your comments and posts.

Steve Skodzinsky

Redhead1617
SS novice field agent

USA
1393 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2003 :  19:16:47  Show Profile  Visit Redhead1617's Homepage
ooooh! exciting Steve!!! WWW soundtrack...sounds yummy!

*sigh...where's MY Ross Martin?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

243 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2003 :  19:37:57  Show Profile
Steve, I'm trying that link and it gives me a 404 error. Is there another way to get to that page? I'd love to see it. After reading one great thread that developed here about the music, I've become more interested in it.
Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2003 :  19:43:50  Show Profile
I am having trouble with the link too. I do get to a French site but I don't know what to do after that. I don't speak French
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2003 :  19:49:40  Show Profile
Steve: Your reconnaissance continues to be exemplary. Thank you for relaying your results to the rest of us.

Don't ask me how, but years ago I stumbled onto a website containing specific information about UCLA's West music acquisitions. Here is one of two links that I have:

http://www.library.ucla.edu/libraries/music/mlsc/archcoll/cbs/cbs37.htm

I can provide the other link, if you like, or you may already have this information.

I would love to learn more about FMS's plans. If I could afford their membership, I'd join just for that CD. By the way, I too couldn't reach the French site. Two years ago I began putting together my own history of West's music but ran out of time and energy to finish it. If someone else has already done it, I can just read theirs!
Go to Top of Page

Steve Skodzinsky
SS spy school graduate

52 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2003 :  17:17:37  Show Profile
Hello Everyone:

Sorry about the confusion about the french website; It turns out that there was a minor typo. The correct address is:

http://membres.lycos.fr/tmcr/thewww1.shtml

You should see some pictures from the series plus the phrase "Sir, this is the man we call Jim West!"

Clicking on the pictures will take you to the main page of the site.
From there, click on "the Night of the composers". After reading that , make sure to click on "the night of the color composers" for even more information.

Thanks for all of your comments so far, and also while on that site, make sure to listen to and download the second season trailer from the susbsection entitled "the night of the color episodes" which is inside of "the night of the episodes" section of that site.

Sorry for the mix-up,

Steve Skodzinsky
Go to Top of Page

Steve Skodzinsky
SS spy school graduate

52 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2003 :  18:05:52  Show Profile
And now a question for all of you:

Have any of you been able to get on to the french website and listen to the "Second Season Trailer" ? I wonder if anybody knows where this came from? Was it from a TV commercial or possibly a radio spot? Also, it would be nice if we could locate a better quality version of it.

I do Know that the main composer responsible for the music heard in that trailer was Morton Stevens- Who also did work on Hawaii Five-O as well. I even recall hearing music used on WWW later being used on episodes of Hawii Five-O !

I also would like to make everyone aware of a fine recording of the WWW theme which was done by the City of Prague Philharmonic. It is located on a 2 CD set entitled, interestingly enough: "The Wild West: The Essential Western Film Music Collection". It was issued by Silva America Records:catalog number SSD1099. Two sources that I know of where this CD can be obtained are the following:

www.intrada.com and www.screenarchives.com

It is a nice orchestral rendition of the main and end themes and clocks in at 4:49.

Thanks for your comments and let's continue this thread. There are so many interesting facts associated with the music and its composers which warrants more discussion.

Keep on threading,

Steve
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2003 :  21:04:38  Show Profile
Have any of you been able to get on to the french website and listen to the "Second Season Trailer" ? I wonder if anybody knows where this came from? Was it from a TV commercial or possibly a radio spot? Also, it would be nice if we could locate a better quality version of it.

Steve: You're correct that the audio clip in question is from a 60-second trailer, produced by CBS in 1967 for affiliates to advertise the series in their local markets. The scene shown during the opening voice-over ("Go gunning for adventure. . . ") was edited from the Gunsmoke–style, pre-shootout street face-off between West and Artemus in "The Night of the Surreal McCoy." The trailer returned to that scene, before the shooting started, for the close and fade-out. (Some of its voice-over—in really poor quality—can be heard at the same French website to which you directed us, when you click onto "The Night of the History.") In between these cuts from "The Surreal McCoy" was a flurry of quick cuts, some only a second or so in length, from "Surreal McCoy," "The Tottering Tontine," "The Feathered Fury," "The Brain," "The Deadly Bubble," "The Colonel's Ghost," "The Deadly Blossom," and "The Cadre." (If you remember the edited style of the opening titles of the original Mission: Impossible, you'll have an idea how this trailer jumbled all these quick cuts.)

I own a visually and aurally mucked-up version of this trailer, spliced into sundry promos and adverts of that era, which I paid a ridiculous sum for on eBay. However, I vividly remember the original when it was broadcast on my local CBS station in the late 60s, then recycled by my local NBC affiliate(!) when the show went immediately into syndication.

I do Know that the main composer responsible for the music heard in that trailer was Morton Stevens- Who also did work on Hawaii Five-O as well.

No: Though the sound quality is awful, the music they tracked onto that trailer was Richard Shores's fight music for West and Titan in "The Night of the Eccentrics" (Act I), used repeatedly throughout the second season and once in a third-season teaser ("The Night of the Legion of Death").

I even recall hearing music used on WWW later being used on episodes of Hawii Five-O !

No doubt about that: Here are the Hawaii Five-O cues you can hear from West's fourth season (at least the ones I can recall just now):

End-of-Act Freeze-Frames for "The Night of Fire and Brimstone" (Act I), repeated in "The Janus ("Act II); "The Night of the Winged Terror," Part II (Act II—a big, dynamic cue; also Act III). All these were composed, I think, by Mort Stevens, originally cued to Five-O's famous end-of-act "endless wave."

The chase and fight music for "The Night of the Winged Terror," Part II (Act IV), repeated in the teaser of "The Cossacks"; also the fight music for Act IV of "The Bleak Island." The latter is a really obvious Five-O steal: listen for the Polynesian percussion line! (I think, too, that the mysterioso cued to the hand-with-dagger near the end of Act III of "Bleak Island" was also originally scored for Five-O.

Finally, the music cross-fertilization for these series operated in both directions. For instance, I can recall an episode in Five-O's first season, centered on a rich old Islander played by John Marley ("The Night of the Wolf") who was being terrified by an apparition of the god Pélé The music the producers tracked onto the haunting scenes was lifted from Richard Shores's cue for the tentacle on the pier, in the teaser of "The Night of the Kraken."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000