An American Anthem with Robert Conrad
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

beerbad
SS novice field agent

684 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2003 :  15:53:51  Show Profile
I've not been around here for long so maybe everybody else has seen this, but I saw a 2001 special about the Star-Spangled Banner with RC as the host. He reminded me of Robert Stack hosting Unsolved Mysteries as he did it in a suit from an office type setting. Anybody else seen this

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2003 :  18:08:19  Show Profile
Gosh I haven't heard of this one before. When and where was it on?
Go to Top of Page

beerbad
SS novice field agent

684 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2003 :  08:46:42  Show Profile
Well, it was on our local UHF channel last Sunday at noon.

I wasn't prepared to tape it, so I missed the first few minutes, but I got the rest.

A good part of the segments were courtesy of Maryland historical societies. That's where I live, so maybe that's why we got it, maybe ahead of everybody else.

One segment thast RC introduced involved the temperance movement of 1843 and they put their own words to the Star-Spangled Banner tune and it went something like "Oh, who hath not seen, by the dawn's early light, some poor drunkard stumbling home...". RC introduced that segment by saying that the temperance movement sought to warn people of the dangers of alcohol. The temperance movement was, I believe, a part of a religious revival that included the abolitionists. I have read that if Lincoln had lived he may have introduced Prohibition long before it became a constitutional amendment.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000