The Night of the Deadly Bed
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

couldron
SS novice field agent

1444 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2003 :  19:44:24  Show Profile
In this episode, we can savor all that WWW is. It has a villain, General Florey, who is out to conquer Mexico not for France but for himself. He is delicious villain who tortures a girl, enslaves a village, and captures our heroes. There is dynamite disguised as coal and a ring that cuts through steel. Artie's character is developing more. In the first episode, he is amazed at all the contraptions. In this episode, he becomes responsible for their development. Kesler in her book says that he claims to invent knock out gas but what I heard him say was it was something he cooked up. I guess that might imply he invented or that he just made it himself. This is the first episode, correct me if I am wrong, that JW life is immediately threatened. Of course, Artie saves him with a fake drunk act. This is also an episode where we are treated with the ridiculous Jimmy Jimmy from Gatita. We also have the wonderful line that goes something like anyone who doesn't believe you is a coward.

JimPhelps
SS 1st assignment - desk job

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  08:35:08  Show Profile
It’s literally been 6 or 7 years since I’ve watched this particular episode. However, I should be receiving the DVD with this episode in the mail within a week. As soon as I’m able to watch it I’ll be happy to share my thoughts.

Mr. Phelps
Go to Top of Page

K Mills
SS novice field agent

849 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  16:27:20  Show Profile
This is an excellent episode. I particularly liked the exteriors shots with Jim on horseback riding to the train. The fight scene at the bar was really fine and the dialogue between Gatita and Jim is fun. Shirtless scene - excellent. Oh, I love those big German Shepards. Way cool dog scenes! What were their names?? First time I saw it, I was worried the dogs hadn't got out alive. I like the big clock that tries to smash Jim, but Artemus is way over the top as a drunk. He was drunk alot in the first season.
Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1444 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  17:25:25  Show Profile
quote:
Shirtless scene

I don't recall this scene perhaps it was hacked from the one I have. Give me some details.

I don't think the dogs were ever called by name.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

243 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  18:23:14  Show Profile
K. wrote:
quote:
Shirtless scene

couldron wrote:
quote:
Give me some details.

I write:
couldron, you took the words right out of my blessed mouth.
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3908 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  19:03:04  Show Profile
(out of five)

Fred Frieberger trumpeted his tenure as producer with this, his first production. Michael Garrison had sold the series as "James Bond out West"; along with the pilot, this was the first episode that truly made good on that promise. The beautiful women, crazed villain, outrageous scheme with an outlandish weapon (or "the elephant," as Robert Conrad and others referred to such): It's all here. The episode includes some important firsts: the first elaborately choreographed fight-scene (teaser), beautifully shot and edited; "instant improvisations" by Mr. Gordon (his gibberish to the péon mob about "sleeping in the baggage cars" is wonderfully goofy); and, as Mary points out, Artemus has become West's Q, designing and fabricating gadgets alternately life-saving (the famous mirrored cutting-ring) and deadly (dynamite disguised as coal). Extra bonus points for lavish production design for a 60-minute series; another atmospheric score by Robert Drasnin; interesting camera-work by director William Witney and cinematographer Ted Voigtlander; the exterior shots of Jim on horseback and the train (a real pity that these became rare-to-nonexistent); and the clever use of model trains in Act III, which simultaneously sold us Florey's scheme, fooled us into thinking that what we were watching was "real," and kept the show on budget!

So why not five s?

Conrad reads some of his lines as though he were dictating a telephone directory. "The real Artie" is still underused. The chemistry between the leads hasn't set. A ninety-second fuse toward the end of the Act IV explosion that takes three minutes to ignite! A stronger actor than J. D. Cannon would have made Florey even crazier. Barbara Luna is stunningly beautiful but is given some awful lines, which she utters in the worst way:

"How can I keep purring when my people are in danger?"
And the never-to-be-forgotten-but-oh-how-I've-tried: "Jimmy? Jimmy!" (Cue maraiachi trumpets.) Simply awful.

And yet, a wonderful line from West, nicely delivers by Conrad: When asked if he had any final words—"Nothing you'd agree with, M'sieur Florey."
Go to Top of Page

AdorableBlue
SS novice field agent

948 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2003 :  22:27:21  Show Profile  Visit AdorableBlue's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by couldron

quote:
Shirtless scene

I don't recall this scene perhaps it was hacked from the one I have. Give me some details.

When Jim and Artie were in the train looking at "our coal" and "their coal". One of my fav eps!!!! Lots of 'em yummy-yummy scenes!!!!!!!!!!! ....beds and dames and beds and dames.....ccb??

AdorableBlue
Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1444 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2003 :  05:35:57  Show Profile
quote:
When Jim and Artie were in the train looking at "our coal" and "their coal".

How did I forget???
As to the dogs names, I rewatched and discovered that indeed at the end when Florey is sending the dogs out he says no no Angelic no no Dioble. I am not sure of the second. I had a hard time hearing it no matter how many times I tried and I did try. Maybe someone with a better hear can be more difinitive.
Go to Top of Page

K Mills
SS novice field agent

849 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2003 :  08:54:28  Show Profile
Angelique and Diable, I think, French (ccb) for angel and devil. Making coal! Wow!
Go to Top of Page

JimPhelps

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2003 :  14:47:12  Show Profile
Just got my very first West DVD (hooray!) so I should have a review of “TNOT Deadly Bed” up by tomorrow.

Mr. Phelps
Go to Top of Page

Colonel Cross
SS spy school graduate

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2003 :  23:13:48  Show Profile
Ahhhhhhhhh....Gatita.....

That's Mars, Nevada?
Go to Top of Page

JimPhelps

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2003 :  18:22:34  Show Profile
First class all the way. Here we see all the familiar elements of West as they begin to gel. Deadly Bed is certainly the “James Bond in the West” idea that Garrison pitched to the network, fully realized. Watching it last night (for the first time in 10 years!) I thought that it might be the most Bondian of all Wests. We have a mad villain (expertly portrayed by J.D. Cannon) who fancies himself Napoleon IV. An exotic device of death and destruction: the armored super-powered railroad engine. A romantic interest for Jim: Gatita (shades of ***** Galore?) played by the lovely Barbara Luna. Freiberger definitely understood the secret agent concept; this is quite different from Collier Young’s vision of the series.

I think perhaps Freiberger understood the Bond angle too well, you see, Bond works alone and he’s also a bit of a two dimensional character. That’s really the only criticism I have of this episode but it’s typical of Freiberger’s reign. In looking over the Freiberger episodes I get the sense that he’s kind of like an emotional vampire, he ****s out all of the humanity between Jim and Artie. He’s got everything else right but I think he personally believed Jim West should be a lone character, he doesn’t seem to know what to do with Artemus, or he doesn’t believe Artemus is Jim’s equal. Bob Conrad also seems more wooden in his portrayal of West in his episodes. West was looser and more easy going, now he’s virtually humorless, he can’t even be bothered to speak to Artie in the tag. Lighten up Jim; if it weren’t for your partner you’d have a large piece of lumber sticking out of your chest!

But, I must give credit where it’s due. Artie may not have as much screen time as he did in previous episodes and the relationship has definitely cooled but he comes across as intelligent, resourceful, and efficient. He makes the dynamite disguised as coal, Jim’s multi-purpose glass and metal cutting ring, he smuggles the dynamite into Flory’s compound, makes a sleeping gas, (contrary to Sue Kessler’s book I do not believe Artie is claiming he invented sleeping gas, just the particular type of sleeping gas he’s using) incites a revolt, and rescues Jim from certain death. Typical of Freiberger, Artie’s rescue attempt partially fails (they do not escape) but it does help.

J.D. Cannon’s performance is top notch, the actor has had a long career portraying villains and it’s because of him that the episode works so well. Flory is a strong and dangerous adversary, he’s mercilessly enslaved an entire village, Mexico will be next and his plan to disrupt the American rail system with his “train smasher” is plausible for the Reconstruction time period. In true Bondian style, his entrance is delayed, we hear and wonder about this “Flory”, the last word of a dying man, throughout the first act. What kind of person can have such control? What is he up to? We finally see Flory in the middle of the second act, on a galloping steed, all decked out in early 19th century fashion.

The commercial break art is excellent here. We get a nice shot of Flory looking regal, Jim tied to the gong, and an interesting shot of the train, just the rear porch. It’s a pretty cool looking storyboard, one of the best. I agree with the others who like the two shots of Jim riding up to the train. It would have been great to have some more of that but I imagine it wasn’t in the budget.

This is a good episode to use if you want to introduce someone to the series.

I give it three out of four prosthetic noses.

PS: Watched this one off of the Columbia House DVD, the quality is great. I’m really looking forward to the rest.

Mr. Phelps
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000