New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2003 :  08:16:17  Show Profile
Howdy,

I'm a french lover of WWW, Ross Martin and Bob Conrad =-))

Only 3 color episodes are available in France on DVD. Is someone knows how to order the columbia house dvd sell now in the USA ? They don't want to ship to France =-(

thanks for your answer

...and sorry for my poor english !

n/a
deleted

72 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2003 :  09:10:16  Show Profile
*IF* you had a dvd player that played region 1 dvd's, then it might be possible for someone in the states to create an account for you with Columbia House (assuming you would pay them for the disks, shipping to their US address, and then shipping to you in France).

Gary
Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2003 :  10:14:19  Show Profile
Welcome,

I hope you visit us often. I wish I spoke French as well as you write. Come help us with the quizes. We need HELP!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

72 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2003 :  12:46:49  Show Profile
Pappy,

As a follow up, if you have a dvd player that can play region 1 dvds (I imagine the region is different in France - probably same as the UK), then your best bet would be to wait until at least the first 10 dvds are available to purchase at one time. This will bring the cost down alot (because CH offers a 10% discount off the top when ordering like that)! Then all someone here in the States would have to do is order them all at once by phone, get them shipped to their address (and shipping is greatly reduced by CH as well when ordering big sets like that), then send them to you.

I was all set to order it just that way today, until the lady I talked to at CH said some of the disks were "back-ordered" and it couldn't be done right now. I'm thinking about calling back and seeing if someone else can give me a better answer.

Good luck,

Gary
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2003 :  03:08:02  Show Profile
Howdy,

Thanks Gary for all your informations and a thousand thank you to all for your welcoming. I'll give you some news from France about the www. The name in French is "Les mysteres de l'ouest" (The mysteries of the West), it's realyy a popular show as "black sheep" broadcasted all year since 35 years. My children know James West as well as me at the same age !!

Robert Conrad is one of the most famous actor since 40 years here. He was the gueststar of a festival of country music in France 4 years ago ...a triumph because of his venue (100 000 persons). A lot of good time and a lot of photos also ;-))

Bye
Go to Top of Page

AdorableBlue
SS novice field agent

948 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2003 :  08:03:13  Show Profile  Visit AdorableBlue's Homepage
Wow! Is there any way to share those photos with us here? Or were they posted somewhere on the net? I would love to see 'em.

AdorableBlue
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2003 :  08:29:47  Show Profile
P.B.: Thank you for your contributions. I'm interested in the French perspective on Les mysteres de l'ouest.

Were all 104 episodes of the American series translated and broadcast in France?

Were there aspects of the series that simply didn't "translate" from American into French culture? In such cases, do you know what modifications they made?

What apects of the series made it so popular in France?

Merci bien!
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2003 :  09:19:48  Show Profile
Hi everyone,

I'm French and i'm a big Wild Wild West Fan. I just want to let you know that two weeks ago Paramount Home Video france, has announced (beside the Indiana Jone trilogy DVD release) for the end of the year (I think december) a box set of the complete first season (black & white) on DVD of the Wild Wild West. I don't know if it's worldwide, Europe or only france. But as soon as I have more info I will let you know.

Arlyss
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2003 :  05:59:13  Show Profile
Let me one email adress and I'll send you mine =-))

quote:
Originally posted by AdorableBlue

Wow! Is there any way to share those photos with us here? Or were they posted somewhere on the net? I would love to see 'em.

AdorableBlue

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2003 :  06:50:48  Show Profile
The all 104 episodes were broadcasted in France, in the 60's in the same time than in the States a lot of from seasons 1, 2,3 and 4 but never one entire season. In the 70's more episodes never seen, again in the 80's and finally a complete brodcast from all the episodes in the 90's... 35 years after !!!

Most of the episodes were translate in French, very well indeed (part of the success of the show). The episodes never brodcasted till the 90's were broadcast in original version with a subtitle (16 episodes from the first season, 3 from the third and 4 from the fourth ...)

As I said the french voices were part of the success of the series. The voices of R.Conrad and M. Dumm are very near from the original. The french voice of Ross Martin is not as good. it got a style very humouristic and very particular which give an aspect of the character very different.

The serie still have a great success because Robert Conrad and Ross Martin and the particular mix between James Bond, The Avengers and Bonanza... Also the music, the generic... all indeed !

The American culture is well translate because european know well the american culture. We have grown with hollywood movies and heroes series like "Wanted dead or alive", "Bonanza", "Maverick"... till "Starsky and Hutch" or now "x-files", "friends"

The humour of the characters and also all the "references" are very pleasant.
There is great book and links about the series
More next time...

pappy

quote:
Originally posted by ccb

P.B.: Thank you for your contributions. I'm interested in the French perspective on Les mysteres de l'ouest.

Were all 104 episodes of the American series translated and broadcast in France?

Were there aspects of the series that simply didn't "translate" from American into French culture? In such cases, do you know what modifications they made?

What apects of the series made it so popular in France?

Merci bien!

Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2003 :  19:36:41  Show Profile
Replies to Pappy:

The all 104 episodes were broadcasted in France, in the 60's in the same time than in the States a lot of from seasons 1, 2,3 and 4 but never one entire season. In the 70's more episodes never seen, again in the 80's and finally a complete brodcast from all the episodes in the 90's... 35 years after !!!

This is fascinating. Assuming that these broadcasts were on French national television, that means Les mysteres de l'ouest ran longer there than The Wild Wild West in the USA!

Most of the episodes were translate in French, very well indeed (part of the success of the show). I read somewhere, I think, that they recruited one of your comedians, well-known to French audiences, to dub the lines for Artemus. True? Did that enhance the show's popularity?

Only 3 color episodes are available in France on DVD. To my knowledge that's three more color episodes on DVD than are available in the States.

...and sorry for my poor english ! If you think your English is poor, you don't want to see our French!

I'm glad you found this website. Not all Americans are disgruntled with the French—only the ones determined to haul us into wars in the Middle East.
Go to Top of Page

Sassy2
SS novice field agent

USA
1001 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2003 :  12:45:21  Show Profile
Many DVD players have hacks to change or remove altogether the Region restrictions, so I doubt this is a problem for Pappy (Hi Xavier!!!)

My DVD player sure does have the hack, so I was able to buy the three-ep set released in France a couple years ago and play it on my US-bought SAMPO DVD player along with any other region releases I care to purchase. Both the original and French-dubbed audio tracks were included, BTW.

Addresing "Pappy" Xavier for a moment - Preferez-vous les DVDs de Columbia House (Region 1) ou toute la premiere saison de Paramount Home Video France cette Decembre? Si vous preferez les DVDs de Columbia House, vous pouvez commander les DVDs de Columbia House vous meme, utilisez notre information de post, et nous pouvons "forward" ( - comment dit-on "forward - by mail" en Francais???) les DVDs chez vous. Ca coutera seulment le difference en le port par avion a France, je pense.

Sassy2 (Kris @ WildWildWest.org)

"Time has little to do with infinity and jelly doughnuts."
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  08:52:05  Show Profile
Thanks Very Very Much Kris for your proposition. I'm waiting for more details about the Paramount DVD, and I'll tell you something =-))

I'm very impressioned by your French !! more !!

A bientot les amis !!

quote:
Originally posted by sassy2

Many DVD players have hacks to change or remove altogether the Region restrictions, so I doubt this is a problem for Pappy (Hi Xavier!!!)

My DVD player sure does have the hack, so I was able to buy the three-ep set released in France a couple years ago and play it on my US-bought SAMPO DVD player along with any other region releases I care to purchase. Both the original and French-dubbed audio tracks were included, BTW.

Addresing "Pappy" Xavier for a moment - Preferez-vous les DVDs de Columbia House (Region 1) ou toute la premiere saison de Paramount Home Video France cette Decembre? Si vous preferez les DVDs de Columbia House, vous pouvez commander les DVDs de Columbia House vous meme, utilisez notre information de post, et nous pouvons "forward" ( - comment dit-on "forward - by mail" en Francais???) les DVDs chez vous. Ca coutera seulment le difference en le port par avion a France, je pense.

Sassy2 (Kris @ WildWildWest.org)

"Time has little to do with infinity and jelly doughnuts."

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  09:03:04  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by ccb

Replies to ccb

[
Most of the episodes were translate in French, very well indeed (part of the success of the show). I read somewhere, I think, that they recruited one of your comedians, well-known to French audiences, to dub the lines for Artemus. True? Did that enhance the show's popularity?

Yeah, thats right. All were comedians well-known in France. More, it's the same voice for all the roles they have played !! Robert Cobrad for example have the same french voice for WWW, Black sheep, Centenial, Sloane... and all the television's movie he has done (The same french voice than Steve Mcqueen, funny no ?).

Only 3 color episodes are available in France on DVD. To my knowledge that's three more color episodes on DVD than are available in the States.

You 're right. The show is really popular and cult !

...and sorry for my poor english ! If you think your English is poor, you don't want to see our French!

Lier =-)) sure your frennch is much much better than my English !!

I'm glad you found this website. Not all Americans are disgruntled with the French—only the ones determined to haul us into wars in the Middle East.

I'm visiting this site since 5 years, and it's a real pleasure for me!! I love the States. A country where Have born the WWW and Ross MArtin couln't be bad ;-))
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000