I have received DVD #6
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

72 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2003 :  14:53:05  Show Profile
Today I received Columbia House's WWW dvd #6 and it contains the following 3 episodes:

THE NIGHT OF THE STEEL ASSASSIN
THE NIGHT THE DRAGON SCREAMED
THE NIGHT OF THE FLAMING GHOST

A quick glance at this dvd shows CH continues to do a great job with quality.

Gary

Sassy2
SS novice field agent

USA
1001 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  11:24:37  Show Profile
Gary, why are you guys receiving these so fast? I thought Columbia House shipped them *monthly*! (Silly me...)

-Kris

"Time has little to do with infinity and jelly doughnuts."
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

72 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  13:30:17  Show Profile
Myself, Steve and maybe some others here have told CH that we KNOW we want the whole series (in other words, skip the "10 day examination trial period for each tape or disk" deal and just get them all at once). Now, if this dvd series for WWW wasn't brand new, we all would have gotten a bunch of dvd's delivered in one shipment because whenever you tell CH you will bypass their examination period and want everything they have for a particular series, they will send it all at once.

With this series, since it is brand new anyhow, they are still manufacturing the disks, so we are waiting for each one to arrive at the CH warehouse, and as soon as they come in, CH ships them right to us.

I hope that isn't confusing.

For instance, let's say I called CH and told them I wanted the vhs series of www. Well, that series has been out for a while. What they would do is send me all the tapes in the series they have in one big shipment and I'd save big bucks on shipping, as well as getting a nice discount because I told them I definitely wanted all the tapes.

Same thing here with the dvds, except that the disks aren't all finished yet, so we wait and get them as soon as they get in.

If you were to call up CH today and tell them you wanted all the WWW dvds, they'd send you one shipment with disks #1-6 right away. Then you'd get the rest as they came out.

Again, I hope that is clear. It's clear as mud to me. ;)

Gary
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

1 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2003 :  05:51:27  Show Profile
gary, what phone number are you using to call columbia house about www dvds? i want to get all dvds, starting with the first dvd in the set. i call columbia house and keep getting different phone numbers to call and when i reach a operator, she only shows one dvd availible and does not even know what disc number or episodes are on it. any columbia house codes for special prices or deals that you know of? email me direct if you want. 348time@suscom.net thanks, don
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

72 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  10:39:06  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Don

gary, what phone number are you using to call columbia house about www dvds? i want to get all dvds, starting with the first dvd in the set. i call columbia house and keep getting different phone numbers to call and when i reach a operator, she only shows one dvd availible and does not even know what disc number or episodes are on it. any columbia house codes for special prices or deals that you know of? email me direct if you want. 348time@suscom.net thanks, don

Don,

I always use the number that is on my "receipt" when each dvd comes. Problem is, I don't keep those receipts once I play the dvd and see that it's working. And unfortunately I don't have it memorized. But this is what I'll do. As soon as the next one comes in, I'll email you immediately with that number. I promise.

I started my collection by responding, in a letter, to one of those mailings I get every once in a while to Columbia House's "get one or two dvd's free and see if you like them" deal. But it still seems to me that you should be able to call any toll free CH line (I would think they would have a number at their website) and get the answers you need. I find it strange that the operators can't help you.

But I will email you with the number the day my next dvd comes in (which I expect very soon)!

Take care,

Gary
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

101 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  20:17:01  Show Profile
Gary,

the columbia number might be something good to post here, as others might find it of vaule. I know I'd be interested in caling them, and perhaps others are as well!

thanks!

"Things Artemus, are not always what they appear to be."
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

72 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2003 :  05:28:32  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mohave Mike

Gary,

the columbia number might be something good to post here, as others might find it of vaule. I know I'd be interested in caling them, and perhaps others are as well!

thanks!

As soon as the next disk arrives, I'll gladly post the phone number here.

Gary
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

72 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2003 :  15:18:30  Show Profile
Don and others,

I still haven't received disk #7 yet (should be coming soon I'm told), but I felt bad about not having a number to give to you. So I searched this site and found that in a previous discussion someone gave out the following number to Columbia House:

800-667-0364

I tried it to make sure it would work, and here is what you need to do. After dialing, you get an automated message. You need to hit 1 to continue, then 1 again for English (or hit 2 for Spanish). You'll then be asked to enter your CH account number. I don't have mine memorized and since I don't keep my slips they send, I didn't enter anything. The voice asks again for the account number. Don't enter anything. After asking the second time and getting no reply, the voice will give you the option of pressing 1 to start a new series, or 2 for an existing account.

Don't press 1!!! All that will do is put you into another loop and get you nowhere. Press 2 even if you don't have an account. It will connect you with a real person, and you can proceed from there.

Hope this helps.

Gary
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2003 :  10:20:45  Show Profile
In answer to a similar thread that no one has started: I have survived family vacation having driven about 1,500 miles in the following states: New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, North and South Carolina, and the District of Columbia. Not so romantic as a trip on the Wanderer, but I made it faster than West and Artemus ever could have.

I have a question for Gary and other knowledgeable experts in dealing with Columbia House. I have also received, in a single shipment, six of the ten DVDs in the CH WWW series, with promises for four more in shipments automatically spread out from now until October. My first shipment was on my doortsep, awaiting my return. Christmas in August!

The question: Can someone confirm the unit price for each DVD, if one orders the entire set up front, as some of us now have? On my invoice, the unit price is $19.95, and so I have been billed. I'm just off the phone with an (articulate!) CH agent, who said that, to her best knowledge, that was indeed the lowest available price from CH for this deal. I seem to recall, however, that another agent who took my original order by telephone quoted me a lower unit price (exatcly what, I don't remember). The shipping for my six items varied in price from $3.99 (for the first item) to $1.85 for the sixth, with $2.29 each for the balance of the order. Applicable state sales tax has been added, as expected.

Can someobody out there confirm that I'm getting the best deal from Columbia House that they cut for purchase of a complete set?

Thank you! And welcome back, Desert Roger. We'll all be happy when you're back in the States and out of there.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

72 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2003 :  11:08:50  Show Profile
The shipping sounds right, but not the "unit price" per dvd. If you told them you wanted the whole series (as you've said), then they absolutely should have given you a lower price, per dvd. I get them for $15.99 per dvd, plus the reduced shipping. You need to call them back and talk to someone who knows what's what and get those prices reduced. You can tell them that you know for a fact that many other people having been getting these at $15.99 per disk (not including shipping) when ordering the whole set.

They charged you the regular price. No way is that right. You should definitely be getting a discount per disk.

Gary
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2003 :  11:25:20  Show Profile
They charged you the regular price. No way is that right. You should definitely be getting a discount per disk.

Thank you for confirming this, Gary. I was on the phone with Camilla, a CH agent today, and she confirmed and credited my account for the overcharge.

However . . .

The reason that she—and, I assume, her supervisor, while she put me on hold, not twice but thrice—gave me for the discount is not the same as you've been given. Your post suggests that CH gives you a discount for up-front subscription to an entire series, with discounts made available with each automatic delivery of new items as they become available. That makes sense. Dear Camilla tells me that it doesn't work that way. Rather, I'm getting a 20% discount for ordering two or more items at the same time. This means that, when Volume 7 in the series becaomes available and is automatically shipped to me, I'll be billed at the normal ($4.00 more) price. That means that I have asked them to stop autodelivery of the series on my account, to be resumed in late October, onlly when I call and tell them I want to buy the next three volumes in the series, which by then should be manufactured and in stock. That makes no sense. Camilla agrees, but there we were. She's a very nice if somewhat confused person, and I encoureage any of you to be nice to her if you talk with her. She doesn't understand her company's procedure, or maybe her supervisor doesn't, but then I don't always understand mine.

Meanwhile, I'm sure CH will continue to screw up my account, despite my call today. If anyone out there knows how I might help them out, please let me know!
Go to Top of Page

Elaine
SS 1st assignment - desk job

356 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2003 :  13:29:20  Show Profile
And this is a business?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

72 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2003 :  14:09:25  Show Profile
Well, that really is a strange and contradictory response from the good folks at CH. I was DEFINITELY told that my discount was based on ordering the series all at once. It had nothing to do with ordering two or more disks at once. Well, if it was me, I'd call again and tell them that you were "promised" a certain price for each disk in the set, and kinda play hardball with them that way. But that's just me. You've already spent time with them, and they couldn't get it right apparently.

Well, if you don't mind waiting till October, then I too would do what you said. Call back then and get them to send you at least two disks at a time, and get the discount that way.

I'll let you know how my CH journey continues as well. I'm still awaiting disk #7 (it's been a little while since #6 came).

Gary
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

101 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2003 :  19:11:15  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Elaine

And this is a business?

Okay, you totally made me laugh with that one....and in my case, laughter might not be the best medicine! rotfl!! I am reading this all with macabre fascination, as I am preparing to place my own call to CH soon. Hmmm, maybe tomorrow. Maybe when they answer I will ask to speak to the Chief in Charge of Everything Noone Else Wants, because those are the folks who usually know what the hap is. :D

mo'

Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2003 :  20:48:27  Show Profile
Well, if it was me, I'd call again and tell them that you were "promised" a certain price for each disk in the set, and kinda play hardball with them that way.

Gary: It's hard to play hardball in a rubber room. It's also hard to threaten such losers that they have nothing to lose.

I am preparing to place my own call to CH soon. Hmmm, maybe tomorrow. Maybe when they answer I will ask to speak to the Chief in Charge of Everything Noone Else Wants, because those are the folks who usually know what the hap is.

Mike: I'm sure you'll find this a blessed experience. I can promise you, however, that "Grand Poo-Bah in Charge of Whatever" is not an option in their automated answering system.

And this is a business?

Elaine: Not much of one. But I stand by Camilla: She just started working there and is as clueless as the CH old-timers—but she's a very nice person.
Go to Top of Page

sam913
Secret Service recruit

16 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2003 :  06:38:29  Show Profile
I called today and spoke to Mark. He offered me a 20% discount ($15.96).

So I ordered the next 5 vol. (thru vol 6)for a total of
$99.47 with tax and shipping included.

This seems to work out to about $2.65 per vol. shipping charge.

He said that he backordered vol. 7 at the same price but could not do this for vol 8-10. He suggested I call back in early OCT to do this.

Regards,

Sam
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

72 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2003 :  11:56:07  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ccb

Well, if it was me, I'd call again and tell them that you were "promised" a certain price for each disk in the set, and kinda play hardball with them that way.

Gary: It's hard to play hardball in a rubber room. It's also hard to threaten such losers that they have nothing to lose.

I fully understand ccb. I only said that because I had the same thing happen with a different series I ordered from CH. They promised me the discounted price for the whole set, and yet when they back-ordered some volumes, and then finally did ship them, they tried to charge me the usual $19.95 + shipping price. I called them and explained that I had been receiving these at a discounted price, and the lady did indeed switch my current order and give me the discount. So I know it worked for me - at least on that one occasion with that one person.

Since I haven't received disk #7 in a while, maybe it will show up with the bigger price tag attached. If so, I'll be putting in a call myself.

Take care and enjoy them,

Gary
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2003 :  13:39:37  Show Profile
Lest my comments about CH be construed as relentlessly negative, I should add my agreement with the evaluations of the merchandise thus far. The video and audio quality of these DVDs is very good. Watching them out of sequence, not yet having viewed everything, so far I've detected only one episode where I found the sound a bit muddy ("The Torture Chamber"). For me, the acid test will be "The Steel Assassin"—for reasons I'll explain after I've auditioned it.

Beyond the episodes themselves, the "special features" are disappointing, rather minimalist and quirky. (Whoever would have guessed that Booth Coleman would be the featured guest star to receive a biography?) And can you all imagine how wonderful it would have been if CH had gone the extra mile with CBS Video and reproduced the original commercial-break title cards and the sixty-second trailer for each episode? *Sigh* But I'm complaining again. The quality of these reproductions—so far—is very good. Though it pinches my wallet to confess, these are proving to be essential investments for the West aficionado.

Desert Roger (and others): You've got a lot to look forward to!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000