Suspension of disbelief
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Elaine
SS 1st assignment - desk job

356 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2003 :  19:57:37  Show Profile
I know that we have to be flexible about certain details that come up in the show (and in all shows, really). Everybody knows about the Star Trek fans that go crazy trying to explain why things in their universe conflict, etc. And I don't think continuity was at the top of the list for the WWW, given that they shuffled the eps. Just look at poor Artie's ups and downs as we've been discussing recently.

I thought about this today and about you especially, BLUE, while watching TNOT Raven. They went to the trouble of emphasizing that Antoinette made doll size clothes for Jim to wear (we see him look over at his large suit hanging next to the bed when he wakes up small). I know this was to be sure we all understood that Jim had shrunk, yet in the end (no pun intended) when Jim is instantly restored to full size, he is also fully clothed! Yes, yes, again I say, this is the '60's,and yes this was a family show (I know this because I was 12 at the time!)but really! It was really jarring. I suppose that since he had to immediately fight, there was no way to have,say, discreet shots of him from the waist up.

Forgive me for not hanging on to this comment until the ep comes up for review, but it jumped out at me so, that I just had to say something while I was thinking about it.

JimPhelps
SS 1st assignment - desk job

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  05:43:07  Show Profile
I was about 11 or 12 myself when I first watched TNOT Raven and I also noticed this incongruity. Thereís really no way to explain it and I donít try, I just accept. About Artieís ups and downs during the first season, when you watch the episodes in production order itís not so bad, Artie seems to slowly evolve however, watching the episodes in broadcast order through the CH DVDís does give the series a kind of schizophrenic feel, one week we have a Frieberger episode with a ďBondĒ type plot, the next week a Young episode with a more western style story. When it was originally being broadcast I imagine that many people were confused about what direction this sow as headed in since it was one thing one week and another the next.

Mr. Phelps
Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  07:10:09  Show Profile
quote:
when I first watched TNOT Raven and I also noticed this incongruity.

So did I but not only Jim but also Princess Wanakee. Her cloths grew with her too.
Go to Top of Page

AdorableBlue
SS novice field agent

948 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  17:35:54  Show Profile  Visit AdorableBlue's Homepage
quote:
I thought about this today and about you especially, BLUE, while watching TNOT Raven. They went to the trouble of emphasizing that Antoinette made doll size clothes for Jim to wear (we see him look over at his large suit hanging next to the bed when he wakes up small). I know this was to be sure we all understood that Jim had shrunk, yet in the end (no pun intended) when Jim is instantly restored to full size, he is also fully clothed!
OOOh Elaine, this mind certainly wanders when watching that scene. He should have shredded the tiny little suit and come out naked from the tub!!!!!!! Duh! No such scene for Blue to watch! And those scenes where West gets dressed when he's unconscious - like in Raven here, Cadre and even Death Masks. Hehehehehe............Blue would take hours to get him dressed!

AdorableBlue
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

243 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2003 :  19:16:28  Show Profile
quote:
when Jim is instantly restored to full size, he is also fully clothed! .....yes this was a family show .....but really! It was really jarring.

I share your indignation, Elaine. You've found an ideal consumer-rights issue for Blue and many more of us: in any WWW episode, either JW is shirtless... at least.... or you get your money back!!!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000