Question
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

K Mills
SS novice field agent

849 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2003 :  17:24:48  Show Profile
Welcome home, ccb, a thousand blessings on your automobile for delivering you home safely. Mine overheated at Taco Bell yesterday! That's what I get for wanting Mexican food in 104 degree heat. I have a question - Was Jim ever thrown from his horse??? I'm writing something and need to know. He was almost thrown in Dancing Death, but I have almost no fourth season and few third season. Anybody have a clue? Help. CH is a truly unique business. If anyone else did business like they do, they'd be out of business. What am I gonna do with my tapes? Anyone want to buy the entire set??? Wait a minute, what if Columbia House is only doing the first season??? K

"I've got a chrome-plated heart."

AdorableBlue
SS novice field agent

948 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2003 :  17:46:07  Show Profile  Visit AdorableBlue's Homepage
quote:
He was almost thrown in Dancing Death, but I have almost no fourth season and few third season.
He was??
If its the same horse he whistled to, I don't think that dear horse would throw his (her?) dear master over He did kinda fell from his horse when both horse and man fell after some explosion in TNOT Gruesome Games.

Yes, WELCOME BACK, ccb! (whispers to ccb) Did ya get me mail?

AdorableBlue
Go to Top of Page

Redhead1617
SS novice field agent

USA
1393 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2003 :  17:55:17  Show Profile  Visit Redhead1617's Homepage
cars are evil When I grow up I'm gonna be a professor and I'm going to have a horse & I'm going to ride that horse to and from work every day! (trust me, my sisters and I have very very bad luck when it comes to cars {& it's not even our fault [most of the time anyway]})

I don't think he was ever thrown, like you said there were a couple times where he almost was, but I'm sure I would have found such a scene quite amusing. I know in TNOT Tartar Rimsky tries to run away with Jim's horse & Jim has the horse throw the villian. That's the only horse-throwing-rider scene I can think of. Fanfic K

let me fingure out the ones I'm missing & I'll gladly pay you for them and the one you made me that my daddy never set up the two VCRS for me (since we lost the connecting cable for them )

*sigh...where's MY Ross Martin?
Go to Top of Page

Elaine
SS 1st assignment - desk job

356 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2003 :  18:01:05  Show Profile
I was also going to say TNOT Gruesome Games. Not only do Jim and the horse go down, but it is quite wonderful to watch Jim and the horse get back up. I looked very closely at this a number of times, since I was so impressed, and I believe that Robert Conrad actually did this manuver with the horse himself. If you look closely, you can see him whisper the command into the horse's ear.
Go to Top of Page

Redhead1617
SS novice field agent

USA
1393 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2003 :  18:09:07  Show Profile  Visit Redhead1617's Homepage
Well Gruesome Games is the closest you're gonna get, yeah both the horse and rider went down, but the horse didn't throw it's rider...

*sigh...where's MY Ross Martin?
Go to Top of Page

K Mills
SS novice field agent

849 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2003 :  18:34:44  Show Profile
Riding a horse to work is a cool idea, but where's he gonna poop once you get him there?? And believe me, there's a lot of poop. Gruesome Games? Sassy says that was intentional. Dancing Death, watch closely when Jim goes down the ditch to the white fence. He about flew over it. Tartar had a horse toss scene? Really? And Red, I don't know what you're talking about, but it was 105 here today and I went to WalMart where it was 130 on the tarmac. I about died, and am certain I lost any number of brain cells. VCR cables are cheap at Wal-Mart though - you got WM out there?? Try K-Mart, if ya don't. Amazing that everybody and there dog is on=line tonight. Any one else, ccb?

Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2003 :  20:05:10  Show Profile
K: Thank you for your gracious welcome back. I'm sorry about your car. Maybe it was trying to tell you to find better Mexican than Taco Bell.

Today's puzzler: Was Jim ever thrown from his horse??? As others have suggested, a fall or a dive is probably not a throw. I agree with Elaine and others that "Gruesome Game"'s teaser probably doesn't qualify, since both horse and rider deliberately went down to dodge attack. (Elaine: That is Bob Conrad, and it is an impressive stuntónot just the take-down, but how closely the first rocket skims past them.) I believe Redhead is thinking of another Russian episode: "The Iron Fist," in which Count Draja tries to escape on West's horse but is thrown, on West's command.

Two other near but not actual throws that haven't been mentioned so far: "The Infernal Machine," Act II, when West dives over horse and rail-fence to bring down Baroda's henchman, Bledsoe. Closer to an actual throw, from which Conrad manages to recover, is an amazing scene in Act I of "The Running Death": After West has galloped to the wagon train to warn them of Indian attack, he dismounts when his horse cocks him against the side of a wagon. At the same time as he's falling, Conrad draws his Winchester rifle from its holster and lands on his feet. I have replayed that scene a lot of times; I'm damned if I know how he did that.

Unless you count Artemus's fall as his horse drops, at the beginning of the chase on horseback in "The Double-Edged Knife" (Act II), I'm not sure the producers ever allowed us to see either of the principals thrown from their mounts.

Blue: (whispers to ccb) Did ya get me mail? I did indeed. A preliminary investigation seems promising, but I haven't yet been able to run it to earth. If you can give me a little more time, I may be able to get it for you.

Stay cool, everybody!
Go to Top of Page

AdorableBlue
SS novice field agent

948 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2003 :  20:07:46  Show Profile  Visit AdorableBlue's Homepage
quote:
I was also going to say TNOT Gruesome Games. Not only do Jim and the horse go down, but it is quite wonderful to watch Jim and the horse get back up. I looked very closely at this a number of times, since I was so impressed, and I believe that Robert Conrad actually did this manuver with the horse himself. If you look closely, you can see him whisper the command into the horse's ear.
Yes, Elaine, I wanted to write about "getting-up" scene,too. I like that scene very much. The way RC got the horse up, truly, like whispering some wonderful, magical word to him (her?) and the way man and horse got up, wow! that's definitely a scene to watch!

AdorableBlue
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

243 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2003 :  19:08:42  Show Profile
It's good to see things are waking up again in this board!
As to K.'s question I have nothing to say except that as usual with things involving the man in blue, several possible retorts come to mind which would not be at all approved by Mr. Family Board. So, alas, we have to let it rest.
Go to Top of Page

AdorableBlue
SS novice field agent

948 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2003 :  20:37:00  Show Profile  Visit AdorableBlue's Homepage
quote:
Blue: A preliminary investigation seems promising, but I haven't yet been able to run it to earth.
WOW! (Blue is truly amazed!) What a poetic, coded, witty and enlightening phrase! One of the great attributes of the Quizmaster! Thanks, ccb.

AdorableBlue
Go to Top of Page

MonkeeMaven
SS 1st assignment - desk job

393 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2003 :  11:43:25  Show Profile  Visit MonkeeMaven's Homepage
Gruesome Games is all I can think of, and that's already been stricken from the list of legit falls.

"I'm damned if I know how he did that."

Well, he's Super-Jim, of course!

--In other news, my brother can no longer call me 4-eyes, but he has started to call me fly-eye. --
Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2003 :  13:22:01  Show Profile
quote:
Sassy says that was intentional. Dancing Death, watch closely when Jim goes down the ditch to the white fence.

I had never noticed that before. It looks like the horse stumbled. If he had been thrown, wouldn't they have edited it out?
quote:
an amazing scene in Act I of "The Running Death": After West has galloped to the wagon train to warn them of Indian attack, he dismounts when his horse cocks him against the side of a wagon. At the same time as he's falling, Conrad draws his Winchester rifle from its holster and lands on his feet. I have replayed that scene a lot of times; I'm damned if I know how he did that.

This scene fascinated me too. I came to the conclusion,after mamy rewinds and frame by frame, that there was some clever editing but maybe not.
Go to Top of Page

K Mills
SS novice field agent

849 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2003 :  13:47:11  Show Profile
Hi Mary, yes that horse balked at the speed it was being asked to go down that ditch. They would have had to reshoot because Conrad would hit or go over that fence, of course, knowing him, he would have landed on his feet and it would have been the coolest. It's still pretty amazing he stayed in the saddle at all. I would have flown about one hundred feet.

I did remember that Artemus was thrown in the Night of the Golden Cobra. Well, his poor stunt double was, landed hard too. Ouch!

Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2003 :  08:30:15  Show Profile
Blue: (whispers to ccb) Did ya get me mail? I did indeed. A preliminary investigation seems promising, but I haven't yet been able to run it to earth. If you can give me a little more time, I may be able to get it for you.

AB: I have what you were looking for. Please contact me on how you want it delivered to you.
Go to Top of Page

AdorableBlue
SS novice field agent

948 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2003 :  21:10:09  Show Profile  Visit AdorableBlue's Homepage
quote:
AB: I have what you were looking for. Please contact me on how you want it delivered to you.
(Blue giving ccb a BIG hug and a BIG kiss!) Thank you so much, ccb! (now, the cat's gonna come out of the bag....)

AdorableBlue
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000