Question about Dr Loveless
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

niecie
SS novice field agent

1250 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2016 :  10:50:39  Show Profile
Does anyone know what degrees the good doctor held? I know that in Human Trigger, Burgess Meredith's character rattles off an alphabet full of letters behind his name, but what of Dr Loveless?

Niecie

Ever since I was a little girl
I have always wished
that Artemus Gordon was
my very own Uncle Artie...

Cindylover1969
SS novice field agent

United Kingdom
1269 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2016 :  08:43:15  Show Profile  Visit Cindylover1969's Homepage
I don't think he ever said... maybe he was self-taught?

"Make them both as uncomfortable as possible." - Marquis de la Mer, "The Night of the Watery Death"
Go to Top of Page

California gal
SS senior field agent

USA
8383 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2016 :  10:00:08  Show Profile
No doubt he would say that to everyone. After all, who could be smarter than Dr. Loveless and be able to teach him anything?

James: Thanks, Artie.
Artemus: "Thanks Artie"! Is that all you can say to me? I've just come back from the grave, risen like Lazarus, and that's what you say? "Thanks, Artie"?
James: Thanks, Artie.
Artemus: It's a pleasure.
- TNOT Pistoleros
Go to Top of Page

niecie
SS novice field agent

1250 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2016 :  11:46:40  Show Profile
Hmm. There is that...

Niecie

I have always wished
that Artemus Gordon was
Go to Top of Page

bornin62
SS novice field agent

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2016 :  02:34:08  Show Profile
And don't forget about his honorary degree in being mean and nasty, while at the same time somehow being lovable.

Secondly, I take great pride in knowing that Michael Dunn spent his time at the University of Miami, down the street from where I spent most of my first 27 years.
Go to Top of Page

Double Take
SS novice field agent

USA
2087 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2016 :  12:47:50  Show Profile
He definitely went to a university as he had a PhD which either he or Artemus mentioned in one of the first 2 or 3 Loveless episodes. He may also have had a medical degree as he "practiced" medicine on a few occasions, but that may have been self taught as it was somewhat unethical.
Go to Top of Page

niecie
SS novice field agent

1250 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2016 :  05:11:17  Show Profile
Well, I found it and can now answer my own question. I started wondering about Dr Loveless' academic degree(s) as I was watching Miguelito's Revenge, and since the topic didn't come up there, I went on to The Night Loveless Died, remembering that Artie, while looking at Loveless in his coffin, recites the good doctor's full name, Miguelito Quixote Loveless (and what a great middle name, so appropriate!), after which he adds some letters. On actual viewing I found the letters, disappointingly, were merely RIP. I then thought that maybe the will recited by the mynah bird later in the episode would be more informative, but no.

At this point I went back to the beginning and watched the four first season Loveless episodes, only to come up empty yet again. It was only when I arrived at the second season episode TNOT Green Terror that I at last hit paydirt! When the good doctor makes his first appearance as Robin of the Wood and throws a roasted leg of what's supposed to be crow at Our Heroes, Jim identifies the Villain-of-the-Week as Dr Miguelito Loveless, to which Artie appends, 'PhD.'

So there it is. I really thought he would have had an amusingly long string of letters after his name, but apparently not.

Still, it wasn't a wasted nearly ten hours, my Dr Loveless telethon! (Because, yes, I watched the rest of his episodes as well.) After all, any time spent watching Our Favorite Program cannot truly be said to be wasted time, n'est-ce pas?

Niecie

I have always wished
that Artemus Gordon was
Go to Top of Page

Desert Roger
SS novice field agent

4361 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2016 :  13:50:45  Show Profile  Visit Desert Roger's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by niecie

Well, I found it and can now answer my own question. I started wondering about Dr Loveless' academic degree(s) as I was watching Miguelito's Revenge, and since the topic didn't come up there, I went on to The Night Loveless Died, remembering that Artie, while looking at Loveless in his coffin, recites the good doctor's full name, Miguelito Quixote Loveless (and what a great middle name, so appropriate!), after which he adds some letters. On actual viewing I found the letters, disappointingly, were merely RIP. I then thought that maybe the will recited by the mynah bird later in the episode would be more informative, but no.

At this point I went back to the beginning and watched the four first season Loveless episodes, only to come up empty yet again. It was only when I arrived at the second season episode TNOT Green Terror that I at last hit paydirt! When the good doctor makes his first appearance as Robin of the Wood and throws a roasted leg of what's supposed to be crow at Our Heroes, Jim identifies the Villain-of-the-Week as Dr Miguelito Loveless, to which Artie appends, 'PhD.'

So there it is. I really thought he would have had an amusingly long string of letters after his name, but apparently not.

Still, it wasn't a wasted nearly ten hours, my Dr Loveless telethon! (Because, yes, I watched the rest of his episodes as well.) After all, any time spent watching Our Favorite Program cannot truly be said to be wasted time, n'est-ce pas?

Thanks for answering that question, niecie! I was wondering the same thing. Roger
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000