Henry Beckman
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

beerbad
SS novice field agent

745 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2017 :  07:40:38  Show Profile
I bought a big set of "Classic Si-Fi TV" dvds at a overstock seller named Ollie's. I was surprised to see Henry Beckman on the Flash Gordon 1950's TV series. I had never looked him up on imdb, so was surprised at how many credits he had. Sometimes I think it was better for these actors to have a long career doing smaller parts on many different series than to have a starring part and then be ostracized by Hollywood for most of the rest of your life.

"I abhor spirits, they make a man less than human" - Dr. Loveless, The Night That Terror Stalked the Town

California gal
SS senior field agent

USA
8440 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2017 :  11:42:17  Show Profile
I agree. Especially back in the 40s and 50s there were actors and actresses who appeared in hundreds of movies and TV shows, becoming very familiar faces. They were not earning the big bucks once or twice a year, but probably had pretty steady paychecks. They also often worked well into older age because they were able and willing to put ego aside and portray the character they best suited.

Tom London is one who comes to mind. Check out his credits. 649 jobs between 1903 and 1963, the year he passed away at age 74.

James: Thanks, Artie.
Artemus: "Thanks Artie"! Is that all you can say to me? I've just come back from the grave, risen like Lazarus, and that's what you say? "Thanks, Artie"?
James: Thanks, Artie.
Artemus: It's a pleasure.
- TNOT Pistoleros
Go to Top of Page

beerbad
SS novice field agent

745 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2017 :  08:34:59  Show Profile
Thanks, CalGal. I looked up Tom London's credits and I'm sure I have Fighting Seabees, at least. I'll have to re-watch it and look for Tom London.

"I abhor spirits, they make a man less than human" - Dr. Loveless, The Night That Terror Stalked the Town
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000