WQ 119: Who Am I?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2003 :  07:44:00  Show Profile
Who would have thought that boy a born on September 18, 1914, in Huntsville, Alabama, would go on to study at Columbia University, and after graduation would win the role of the leprechaun in Finian's Rainbow on Broadway (for two years) and London (another year)? That my breakthrough performance would wo\in me the attention the Shakespearean actor Maurice Evans, which later would lead to one of the most prolific careers as a character actor in television's golden and silver ages? That I would appear not fewer than fourteen times on Kraft Television Theater, five times on Studio One, three times on Omnibus, and more times than anyone can count on almost every major and minor television series of the 1950s and '60s: Gunsmoke ("Trail to the Wind"), Perry Mason ("The Case of the Singular Double"), Route 66 ("Love in a Skinny Kid"), and two guest-starring appearances on The Wild Wild West. That I would be ordained a priest in my denomination in 1974, rendering me answereable to the Archbishop of Canterbury?

Who would have thought?

Who am I?

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2003 :  09:16:41  Show Profile
ccb you gave to many hints. I don't want this to end to soon so I won't tell. But I will add in one episode, he played a tycoon and the other a professor. He served at the Church of the Bells who would have Thought. NOT ME.
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2003 :  12:17:11  Show Profile
ccb you gave to many hints. I don't want this to end to soon so I won't tell.

Thanks, Mary. I know it was too many hints, but I must do something to dispel this image of me as a hardcase. I'm actually a teddy bear.

Mary's clue is on the money. Here's some more: I guest-starred in two Twilight Zones, one especially notable, and in Serling's later series, Night Gallery ("Lindeman's Catch," 1972). In his haste, ccb misquoted the name of one of my Route 66 appearances—"Love Is a Skinny Kid" —though I was also in that series' "The Strengthening Angels." Oh, about one week after my second guest on West, I was in another series that lifted its typical titles: "The Night of the Shark" (The Felony Squad, 1967). It would have been almost impossible to watch network television during the late '50s and '60s and not see me, in any given week.

A really terrific character actor. So why, Mary, is no one else guessing?
Go to Top of Page

Elaine
SS 1st assignment - desk job

356 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2003 :  12:35:34  Show Profile
This was a tough one because I couldn't get any of my sources to agree on all the facts.

My first guess off the top of my head was Don Francks because of the Finian's Rainbow connection, but the birthdate and other programming details were wrong. (Try www.donfrancks.com I think you'll be as surprised as I was.)

I had to keep coming back to Harry Townes because of his birthdate and the fact that he was in two WWW episodes. The most recent hints helped, but still have not clarified things to my satisfaction. ccb? Mary?

Go to Top of Page

lleroy

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2003 :  20:14:03  Show Profile
quote:
So why, Mary, is no one else guessing?

I don't know about everybody else, but in my case, the man who has been helping us add on to our house hurt his back yesterday, so I have been pressed into service as a carpenter's helper. The painting, staining, varnishing and wallpapering are more my forte, but today I fastened down floor decking. It's good to learn new things, right?

I think it would have to be Harry Townes. If it were anybody else, so many coincidental similarities would convince me we had crossed over into the Twilight Zone.

Leslie
Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2003 :  20:17:44  Show Profile
quote:
I think you'll be as surprised as I was.

WOW surprised indeed by Iron Buffalo. To echo ccb who would have thought.

quote:
So why, Mary, is no one else guessing?

Shrug Maybe you were to much of a teddy bear. Elaine and Leslie have done a good job of running it down.
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2003 :  21:39:15  Show Profile
None of you, I doubt, would accuse me of profligate dispensing of Arabellas. This weekend, however, I'm going to award two One goes to couldron, not only for guessing the correct answer in record time, but also for being generous enough to let others have their fun. The Reverend Harry Townes it is.
Leslie the Carpenter gets a Henrietta for chiming in during her strenuous sabbath. (Well, it may not have been her sabbath's, but it was somebody's.)

The other Arabella goes to Elaine for giving us the website in praise of the consummate artistry of—Iron Buffalo(?!)
Go to Top of Page

Elaine

356 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2003 :  14:37:51  Show Profile
ccb: Thank you for the lovely Arabella! What a generous gesture.

Do you think Iron Buffalo still has that diamond in his tooth?
Go to Top of Page

JimPhelps

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2003 :  07:34:37  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Elaine

(Try www.donfrancks.com I think you'll be as surprised as I was.)

WOW who would have guessed? What a surprise. Iron Buffalo

Mr. Phelps
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000