TNOT Bleak Island
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AdorableBlue
SS novice field agent

948 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2004 :  03:54:45  Show Profile  Visit AdorableBlue's Homepage
I had this question each time I watch the opening scene of TNOT Bleak Island. As the boat comes ashore, the camera pans to a guy knocking off another guy and running out to meet the boat. Who are the two guys in the first place and why did one knock the other off?

The only reasoning I could think of was the dead one was some guard for the jetty whilst his killer was just some unknown fella trying to get off the island. Is there something else to it?

AdorableBlue

beerbad
SS novice field agent

684 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2004 :  06:52:32  Show Profile
Hey Blue and everybody else. Glad we're back on-line.

As I remember it, which is always a risky operation, they were prisoners and the one who was knocked into the water was then replaced by Jim. I do remember Artie holding his hand over the prisoners mouth so he wouldn't call out. I think maybe Jim actually pulled him into the water and a Artie held him under the pier.
Go to Top of Page

Elaine
SS 1st assignment - desk job

356 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2004 :  10:57:23  Show Profile
bb: You are describing the opening of the ep TNOT Bottomless Pit. Jim is taking the place of a prisoner being sent to Devil's Island and that is how they make the switch.

I remember the opening for Bleak Island, but I don't have a tape handy for review. As I recall (and now it's my "risky operation"), the fellow getting knocked off is the real boat-meeter for the island. I always thought that the guy who took his place was pretending to be the usual boat-meeter, but was actually in on the plot as a henchman.

Anyone else? Someone with a tape.
Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2004 :  12:43:04  Show Profile
Elaine I think you are right on the money and I must admit that the opening never made sense to me either. It was like it was part of the plot that was forgotten.
Go to Top of Page

beerbad
SS novice field agent

684 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2004 :  13:19:18  Show Profile
Right again, Elaine and couldron. I checked my Kesler bible when I got home and saw that it is so.

I've been watching the episodes in alpphabetical order and Bottomless Pit is close to Bleak Island, and both are on an island. But, that's where the comparison ends. Bleak Island is one of the last shows and does seem to have plot flaws. I do have a tape and I haven't quite gotten to the end but I guess these are Sir Nigel's henchmen killing folks on the island. Sir Nigel was a decent character but I can't see why they would kill the butler, either. Maybe to make it look like a ghost was involved? And why would this charcter kill the boat-meeter named Johnson? He kills him then takes his cloak and assumes his identity and the man in the boat says "Johnson, is that you, you've changed". Unless things come together in the last act, somebody wasn't checking this plot very well.
Go to Top of Page

beerbad
SS novice field agent

684 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2004 :  13:21:00  Show Profile
Right again, Elaine and couldron. I checked my Kesler bible when I got home and saw that it is so.

I've been watching the episodes in alpphabetical order and Bottomless Pit is close to Bleak Island, and both are on an island. But, that's where the comparison ends. Bleak Island is one of the last shows and does seem to have plot flaws. I do have a tape and I haven't quite gotten to the end but I guess these are Sir Nigel's henchmen killing folks on the island. Sir Nigel was a decent character but I can't see why they would kill the butler, either. Maybe to make it look like a ghost was involved? And why would this charcter kill the boat-meeter named Johnson? He kills him then takes his cloak and assumes his identity and the man in the boat says "Johnson, is that you, you've changed". Unless things come together in the last act, somebody wasn't checking this plot very well.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000