Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Wild Wild West - Chat and Play
 Wild Wild West General Discussion Board
 When was Loveless the most ruthless and mad?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

72 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  15:53:32  Show Profile
After watching his last episode from Season 1 today, "TNOT Murderous Spring", I was quite shocked at his pure ruthlessness to even his own helpers. He seemed to me, in this particular episode, to be more ruthless and evil than in any of the other episodes up to this point.

Anyone agree or disagree with this assessment? I'd love to hear any and all thoughts on our Dr. Loveless and his madness. I found him completely mad in this episode, as opposed to others where he seemed to slip in and out of madness, yet still had some measure of "reasonableness" to him. But not in this episode. He's bloodthristy!

Gary

Elaine
SS 1st assignment - desk job

356 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  16:55:35  Show Profile
Sue Kesler says in her author's notes for this episode:
"The story showed Loveless at his nastiest."
Go to Top of Page

Redhead1617
SS novice field agent

USA
1393 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2004 :  17:08:21  Show Profile  Visit Redhead1617's Homepage
yeah, I think I must agree with you there Gary

in MS his whole staff is murdered and yeah, he's completely insane

in Wizard the professor was murdered and had the intention of blowing the residents of California to bits, but he was foiled there

in Terror, well, he's planning a switch-er-roo, cute episode but not up there in maddness

Whirring Death, the rich guys may be hurt, but he keeps them alive

Raven & Green Terror- LOL I can't stop laughing enough to write anything here

Surreal McCoy- the plot itself is a little out there, but our little doctor isn't totally mad (my dad just got angry last night because I watched a Loveless episode w/o him while he watched the NBA all stars guess I'll just have to watch the episode again )

Bogus Bandits & Loveless Died & Miguelito's Revenge- cute episodes but not really or as violent or mad

in Murderous Spring the little doctor is certainly at his most violent and maddest, but one episode full of excellent quotes and Mr. Gordon himself says "you know, he has really gone insane"

for some of my favorite quotes from this episode: http://redhead1617.tripod.com/wildwildwest/id120.html

~Red

*sigh...where's MY Ross Martin?
Go to Top of Page

K Mills
SS novice field agent

849 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2004 :  03:27:48  Show Profile
I love that episode! Absolute best Dr. Loveless. Whenever I write him, I always watch that episode because that is the Dr. Loveless that I prefer. Mean, nasty, and more than bad. A fitting foe for our fearless duo.
Go to Top of Page

Desert Roger
SS novice field agent

4357 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2004 :  05:44:48  Show Profile  Visit Desert Roger's Homepage
Loveless tried to give Jim a lobatamy in The Night Dr. Loveless died

That's pretty nasty
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2004 :  17:36:38  Show Profile
Gary: After watching his last episode from Season 1 today, "TNOT Murderous Spring", I was quite shocked at his pure ruthlessness to even his own helpers. He seemed to me, in this particular episode, to be more ruthless and evil than in any of the other episodes up to this point. Anyone agree or disagree with this assessment?

No question to my mind: For the first and only time in the series, "The Murderous Spring" presents a Loveless who wants nothing less than to kill off every human being in the world. To prove that he could and would, he destroys his own staff of twenty men and women—"just like that, to prove a point" (West).

For this and other reasons, I number myself among those who regard this as the definitive Loveless episode. We'll be reviewing it soon. I look forward to that.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

72 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2004 :  17:42:03  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ccb
No question to my mind: For the first and only time in the series, "The Murderous Spring" presents a Loveless who wants nothing less than to kill off every human being in the world. To prove that he could and would, he destroys his own staff of twenty men and women—"just like that, to prove a point" (West).

For this and other reasons, I number myself among those who regard this as the definitive Loveless episode. We'll be reviewing it soon. I look forward to that.

I look forward to that review, ccb. I don't believe there is any other choice for showing Loveless in all his insanity and ruthlessness. This episode was it for sure! Not only did he casually allow his servents to kill one another, but he allowed them to kill one another in the most horrific of ways. Truly gruesome stuff.

This is the type of Loveless that I wanted to see more of.

Gary
Go to Top of Page

Redhead1617
SS novice field agent

USA
1393 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2004 :  19:00:24  Show Profile  Visit Redhead1617's Homepage
Is that a hint Gary not sure I'm quite up to that level

j/k

~Red

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

72 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  11:20:25  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Redhead1617

Is that a hint Gary not sure I'm quite up to that level

j/k

~Red

Yikes!

I think you took my last line the wrong way, Red.

Gary
Go to Top of Page

Redhead1617
SS novice field agent

USA
1393 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  13:53:15  Show Profile  Visit Redhead1617's Homepage
I know Gary, I was just joking but perhaps that last line might give me an idea for the next thing I write

~Red

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

72 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  02:51:39  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Redhead1617

I know Gary, I was just joking but perhaps that last line might give me an idea for the next thing I write

~Red

Red, I know that you know that you were joking. I was joking too.

Gary
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  03:06:32  Show Profile
I remember being absolutely scared when Kitty, Jim and Artie are listening to the staff murder each other. Its was very Hitchcock where what you DON'T see is more impressive to the viewer that buckets of red colored corn syrup. I think it speaks well of the high caliber that can be available in a weekly TV show.

But then, I have always said WWW sets a standard that still holds true today

RC - proof God does do excellent work!
Go to Top of Page

Redhead1617
SS novice field agent

USA
1393 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  05:41:03  Show Profile  Visit Redhead1617's Homepage
JKrouse, I do believe you hit the mail on the head,
quote:
what you DON'T see is more impressive to the viewer that buckets of red colored corn syrup.

I must agree!

red colored corn syrup huh? hmmm... Red adds that to the Sonora Stompers that Blue's found and goes off to look at her list of props...

btw: Welcome aboard JKrouse, please forgive my awful manners!

~Red

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  06:40:21  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Gary

[quote]Originally posted by ccb

I agree - it was a dousing of cold cold water to realize that the Dr. really WAS a bad guy. Up until then, he was a bad guy only as a nemisis of Jim West, but was so charming and fun I actually liked him.

Red - many thanks for the welcome!
Go to Top of Page

JimPhelps
SS 1st assignment - desk job

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  09:05:19  Show Profile
The Dr’s most evil moment is definitely when he kills his entire staff to demonstrate that he has the ability to “Kill every man, woman, and child in America.”, while singing “Go to sleep lullaby” with Antoinette. I’ve always been rather amused that Dr Loveless is able to organize a large network of helpers for almost every episode he’s in, you’d think after the incident during “TNOT Murderous Spring” word would have gotten around on the henchman’s grapevine to avoid this guy, but I guess not; he’s back in “TNOT Raven” with several henchmen.
In that episode I think the Dr has Jim at his most helpless, but the "shrinking potion" has more of a comic book style than the darker "Murderous Spring"

Mr. Phelps
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

49 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2004 :  16:25:50  Show Profile
Loveless tried to give Jim a lobatamy in The Night Dr. Loveless died

That's pretty nasty

Yup...and he is totally blind to Jim's kindness towards his "uncle"

The MarchHare !!O*
http://www.geocities.com/marchhare001/index.html
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000