Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2004 :  15:31:06  Show Profile
This episode does not have a lot of gadget nor fights. Artie is in disguise as he pretends to be the Prince but it is not much of one since the bad guys or woman knows that he is not the prince. According to Kesler, Red Buttons was suppose to have the role that Nick Adams plays. Adams does such a wonderful job in this first of two appearances. It’s a tight line he has to walk because after all he does try to kill our heroes but he is such a rascal that you can sort of forgive him. As I said, there are not many gadgets just the telegraph key. Now a day they are putting Internet into all the motel rooms. Do you think that they had telegraph lines in every hotel room back then? Neither do I. I love the interchange between Jim and Artie as Jim cons Artie into taking the Prince’s place. The twist in the plot was nice. I do wonder why Jim suspected that the drink was drugged. This is a fun episode and I enjoy Nick Adams he had such a flare for comedy.

AdorableBlue
SS novice field agent

948 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2004 :  17:37:55  Show Profile  Visit AdorableBlue's Homepage
One of my fav. eps. and I'm sure on top of Red's list - shirtless Artie!! And he ain't wearing no pants under that princely garb. ahem! (Blue looks scans for Mr Family Board. Nowhere to be found). And perhaps top of the list for Spring, too - the towel that refused to release its grip on James! (Blue can't figure out how the towel managed to stay on with all the physical movements in the fight). Those two got the opportunity to undress James down to nothing...... Clink, clank....

I like the scene when West goes to the rescue of the damsel in distress (even though it was staged) and fakes the drugged drink and collapsing onto Blue's lap. (Oh, what's her name?? Blue wouldn't have pushed him away...).

I think Nick played the role well and being a close to RC, its nice to watch the way their characters inter-relate.

AdorableBlue
Go to Top of Page

Redhead1617
SS novice field agent

USA
1393 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2004 :  19:11:16  Show Profile  Visit Redhead1617's Homepage
hehe Artie in scanty prince's garb and James West in a towel... what an episode when you get Jim West down to naught but a towel, even an Artie-gal must stop and drool... yeah, I've often wondered about that towel myself Blue

ahem... anyway...
I did like that how Jim had to can Artie into disguise, that was pretty good, and the two-legged buffalo metaphor thingy interrested me for a few moments of thinking. I found the scene where Artie was trying to talk the prince out of that place was pretty funny

for what we see

though for the story itself, it was a bit confusing the first time around

~Red

*sigh...where's MY Ross Martin?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  02:22:18  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by AdorableBlue
And perhaps top of the list for Spring, too - the towel that refused to release its grip on James! (Blue can't figure out how the towel managed to stay on with all the physical movements in the fight). AdorableBlue

It was a girl towel

RC - proof God does do excellent work!
Go to Top of Page

K Mills
SS novice field agent

849 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  03:33:31  Show Profile
Review this episode? Who knows what the plot was? No one I suspect. Let's discuss that towel instead, and Ross Martin's chest and his lovely English accent. I drool. Nick Adams is such a rascal. He can make your heart pound. Horseback scene at the end. Another good one. On dear, now about that towel . . .
Go to Top of Page

AdorableBlue
SS novice field agent

948 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2004 :  13:34:45  Show Profile  Visit AdorableBlue's Homepage
Girl towel? Oh, Blue gotta go find Bewitched Endora (was that her name?) a.k.a Valentine and get the witch to blink an eye and change Blue into a nice blue towel. Aaaargh! Blue should have been that towel. What bliss! (o, the mud, no, the heat! where's that cold shower? )

AdorableBlue
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  02:38:35  Show Profile
See, this is why I like this site. Most people are wishing for riches, fame, vengence etc., but HERE we only speak of the truly important things. yes, I have found my true place in the world! Yee-haw!

I have just joined CH and received my first WWW DVD, can't wait until I am up to speed with everyone else. Plus, getting the DVD free's up my 2 lonely VHS episodes to give to a friend at work and reacquaint her with the pleasure's of the discerning few....actually, many. WWW fans are a force to be reckoned with!

RC - proof God does do excellent work!
Go to Top of Page

Elaine
SS 1st assignment - desk job

356 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  11:24:12  Show Profile
As has been suggested, this ep gives Artie girls a chance to wax poetic about the physical attributes of our fantasy object of desire.

However, I feel compelled to point out that however much we may dream about drowning in his liquid brown eyes (as they have been called), running our fingers through his thick, curley hair, or resting our cheek against his broad chest while wrapped in his strong arms, what truly attracts us can best be described for us by our dear, MarchHare:

"Artemus was the Gentleman caller your mother both wanted and warned you of. He can cook inside and outside the kitchen...he had a keen inventor's mind and he could recite Shakespeare while undressing you. Artie carried you to a rose covered bed and made love to you before feeding you chocolate dipped strawberries and reading a sonnet on your beauty."

I am spending this weekend away from home, so I cannot view the ep in question until next week, but I am looking forward to seeing it again. I do recall that Nick Adams did a wonderful job as the prince (much better than his later appearance as a sheriff. Of course the character was more flamboyant as well.)

In the meantime, I am looking forward to happy dreams about Mr. Gordon.
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  18:26:46  Show Profile
As a youngster, this was a West episode that I simply didn't get. Even then, I knew that, when John Kneubuhl received screenwriting credit, I should be paying attention. And attention was paid. I just didn't understand what this one was really about.

Only later, for me, did the pieces fall into place: This show is about REVERSALSs: set-ups and surprises, duplicity tunred inside-out and back again, ironies and half-truths and mostly bald-faced lies. Nothing is what it at first seems to be. At the level of plot—and this, hands down, is the most twisted plot in the entire series—that's the key to this episode.

It begins in the first minutes of the teaser. The only thing "special" about the spa's mud (West to his driver) is the wrestling match he and Victor will slosh in it in Act II. West identifies himself as "Roger Colby," which of course isn't his real name. The woman we'll later know as Lady Beatrice seems accidentally to bump into West in the dining terrace—but that's no accident at all: She's secrectly identifying West to her confederates, whom we don't yet know as such.

And from there it goes on and on and on and on. Lady Bea is hardly a "delicate thing" (Claude Duchamps); she's a cold-blooded murderer, conspiring with the Prince until she moves in for her own kill. The Prince is no victim; he's the mastermind—he thinks—of his own plot. He's kidnpped by train bandits—but no, they've been hired by West. Artemus volunteers to impersonate the Prince—but no, West has s*ckered him into it. West is drugged and taken captive by Lady Beatrice—but no, he's faking unconsciousness, only to follow Victor to the mountain cabin where he really will be taken captive by a supposed hostage (the Prince), who colludes with him in a lie to dupe his real captor (Bea). No one—not even West and Artemus—is exactly what he seems or means exactly what he says. The Prince is a rogue; the Lady, no lady; "the two-legged buffalo," no buffalo at all; and—as Kneubuhl feeds Nick Adams this installment's last line—"I do love suprise endings"(!)

By now you can see that I think this one deserves five s for the script alone, but that's not all. The casting is terrific: Paul Comi, Robert Emhardt, Dana Wynter, and the versatile Nick Adams play their roles (in multiple senses) to perfection. The production design is lavish. There are gadgets but they're unobtrusive: West's telegraphic cane, secret flask, cutter and smoke-bomb from his boot-heel; Bea's nifty pistol in the nosegay; the rifle-and-arrow contraption used to threaten Artemus (which Kneubuhl would recycle the following year in "The Night of the Green Terror," next time aimed at West). In fact, either Kneubuhl or Gene Coon slyly pokes fun at the series by having Duchamps observe to Victor, after they've undressed West (!) and stripped him of his armaments, "It's a wonder he didn't clank when he walked." Director Edward Dein uses nice, subtle touches: See, for instance, his fade-out on a candle after Jim searches Artie's room at the spa, matched by a fade-in to another candle, used as a trigger in the hunting lodge (Act III). And speaking of undressing West: I cannot believe the censors let Mike Garrison get away with the all-but-naked mudbath fight, capped by Conrad's slouching, semi-nude, into another bath to freeze Act II's frame. That has to rank as one of the most outlandish set-pieces in the entire series!

Even by West's wild standards, "The Two-Legged Buffalo" is an unconventional jewel of story and execution. No matter how often you watch it, you'll never tire of it—because there's another spin that you missed the first time.
Go to Top of Page

Elaine

356 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  18:59:55  Show Profile
I must repeat myself yet again. I do so love reading the ep reviews! So enlightening!
Go to Top of Page

AdorableBlue
SS novice field agent

948 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2004 :  23:38:05  Show Profile  Visit AdorableBlue's Homepage
quote:
And speaking of undressing West: I cannot believe the censors let Mike Garrison get away with the all-but-naked mudbath fight, capped by Conrad's slouching, semi-nude, into another bath to freeze Act II's frame. That has to rank as one of the most outlandish set-pieces in the entire series!
Oh, ccb, Col. Vaultrain gave the censors a peek into the future and they saw Blue, KMills, Spring, Red ....just to name a few, threatening 'em with all kinds of weapons - so they had to close their eyes on that precious act.

AdorableBlue
Go to Top of Page

Redhead1617
SS novice field agent

USA
1393 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2004 :  08:19:58  Show Profile  Visit Redhead1617's Homepage
quote:
Oh, ccb, Col. Vaultrain gave the censors a peek into the future and they saw Blue, KMills, Spring, Red ....just to name a few, threatening 'em with all kinds of weapons - so they had to close their eyes on that precious act.

lol, got that right Blue!!

well, now that you took the episode step by step, refreshing my memory ccb, I must say it is a pretty darn good piece of work (aside from the extremely revealing places )

I must up my former judgement to

~Red

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

243 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  11:08:02  Show Profile
Towel?!?!
JW fighting covered by nothing but a towel??!?!??

*Spring faints*
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

243 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  11:20:34  Show Profile
Towel?!?!
JW fighting covered by nothing but a towel??!?!??

*Spring faints*
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

49 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  14:02:02  Show Profile
This episode has a Diamonds are Forever feel to it for me...Mr. Wynt and Mr. Kydd...I mean the villianous bad guys take the time to undress Jim...not just make him shirtless (an everyday occurance for Jim it seems) These guys decide to pants him too!

And then one of them gets undressed and well...let me just say I WONDER HOW ANY OF THIS GOT PAST THE CENSORS!

This ep is a shirtless paradise!

We have drugged drinks...disguises...BOTH our lads in deadly peril...and a strange moment of ummm..social...ummm..sexual..weirdness.

These moments seemed more prevelant to me in the B/W eps then the color ones...doncha think?

Like the moaning Jim in TNotDouble-Edged Knife?

The "Masochist" remark?

The MarchHare !!O*
http://www.geocities.com/marchhare001/index.html
Go to Top of Page

AdorableBlue
SS novice field agent

948 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  16:48:53  Show Profile  Visit AdorableBlue's Homepage
quote:
Towel?!?!
JW fighting covered by nothing but a towel??!?!?? *Spring faints*
Where's that smelling salts, Red? (Blue glad to see Spring back) Hey, wakey, wakey, Spring. That towel didn't even come loose when he crawled to the tap! (Blue turning her book to find how a towel hangs on tight).

AdorableBlue
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

49 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  17:22:02  Show Profile
damn towel.

The MarchHare !!O*
Go to Top of Page

Redhead1617
SS novice field agent

USA
1393 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  17:29:02  Show Profile  Visit Redhead1617's Homepage
smelling salts? I think we're going to need to dump a bucket of icewater on Spring!

*Red forgets about the water and the salts and daydreams about that scene in TNOT Emir where Jim is waking Artie up*

quote:
These moments seemed more prevelant to me in the B/W eps then the color ones...doncha think?

yeah, I have to agree with you there MarchHare...

quote:
The "Masochist" remark?

hehe I love that part in Dbl-edg knf

~Red

Go to Top of Page

AdorableBlue
SS novice field agent

948 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2004 :  17:45:11  Show Profile  Visit AdorableBlue's Homepage
quote:
*Red forgets about the water and the salts and daydreams about that scene in TNOT Emir where Jim is waking Artie up*
Artie shivering in that colorful cape, with no pants on is definitely better than that, Red. And he's also got some cloth wrapped around his waist (must be the towel's cousin) all the way from the time the cape was removed right to the buffalo hunt!

Artie : Oh, they stripped ya and you only have the towel, eh?

Jim : Artie, don't give me that look. Now, I think I'm NOT going to go find your pants. (grins)

Artie : What! I'm shivering here! And this, this thing wrapped round my waist ain't gonna hold too long.

Jim : The producer forgot where he put your pants. Besides, this cloth will hold..... We'll be out in the sun soon, you won't catch a chill.

AdorableBlue
Go to Top of Page

Redhead1617
SS novice field agent

USA
1393 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2004 :  05:46:24  Show Profile  Visit Redhead1617's Homepage
lol, say that's pretty dang good Blue! I'd say you're a natural, you should try a little piece (although M. Sping might faint again & Mr. Family Board might come running with what I'm sure you could come up with )

quote:
Artie shivering in that colorful cape, with no pants on is definitely better than that, Red. And he's also got some cloth wrapped around his waist (must be the towel's cousin) all the way from the time the cape was removed right to the buffalo hunt!

*Red drops the salts and falls into a chair daydreaming again*
(Sorry Spring! )

~Red

Go to Top of Page

K Mills
SS novice field agent

849 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2004 :  06:34:47  Show Profile
One of my favorite scenes was when Jim falls face first into the lady's lap. The first time I saw that I was shocked it was in the show and then we went on to the towel. My mouth hung open for more than a few minutes. I think they glued that towel on. THe man does look fine in mud. Oh, dear, I must go lie down! K
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

19 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2004 :  08:15:16  Show Profile
Which CH DVD is this episode on so I can enjoy the pleasure of Laser freeze frame? Mr. Phelps? Do you know?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

72 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2004 :  09:41:29  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by JKrouse

Which CH DVD is this episode on so I can enjoy the pleasure of Laser freeze frame? Mr. Phelps? Do you know?

That would be Volume #8.

Gary
Go to Top of Page

Redhead1617
SS novice field agent

USA
1393 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2004 :  10:07:15  Show Profile  Visit Redhead1617's Homepage
quote:
Which CH DVD is this episode on so I can enjoy the pleasure of Laser freeze frame?

*sigh, another reason to own the DVDs oh why, oh why must I wait until my graduation next spring for these DVDs???? Daddy!!! can't these be for my birthday instead????

~Red

Go to Top of Page

Elaine

356 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2004 :  11:04:06  Show Profile
Mary starts us out with a nice little synopsis of the episode.

ccb gives us one of his insightful analyses.

The rest of us just faint, drool and moon about the towel, the feathers and the mud.

I'm amazed that Gary was still reading this thread! (Probably hoping that Mr. Phelps' review would turn up.) Lucky for you JK.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

72 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2004 :  11:31:03  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Elaine

I'm amazed that Gary was still reading this thread! (Probably hoping that Mr. Phelps' review would turn up.) Lucky for you JK.

Looking for that review is definitely a major reason I'm still reading this thread. But I have to admit I find it both amusing and shocking to read all the "towel" posts as well.

Gary

P.S. I'm not really shocked. That was just a joke.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

49 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2004 :  14:21:23  Show Profile
quote: "One of my favorite scenes was when Jim falls face first into the lady's lap. The first time I saw that I was shocked it was in the show and then we went on to the towel."

I thought back..you remember how that scene got such a shocked laugh in Romancing the Stone? Where Michael Douglas' character lands face first between the legs of Joan Wilder?

That's how I reacted to that part.

The MarchHare !!O*
Go to Top of Page

Redhead1617
SS novice field agent

USA
1393 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2004 :  17:59:19  Show Profile  Visit Redhead1617's Homepage
quote:
But I have to admit I find it both amusing and shocking to read all the "towel" posts as well.

*Red blushes* I don't doubt that it is rather shocking but when there is at least one gal watching and posting, there will be a comment, and the more girls, the more drooling but my, my, my, we did get carried away by the towel review instead of the episode review

I would say that the men of this forum can certainly get even with all us giggling & drooling girls, but I'm not quite sure if I can think of anything "guy" scene that can beat our "girl" scene

~Red

Go to Top of Page

AdorableBlue
SS novice field agent

948 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2004 :  18:56:21  Show Profile  Visit AdorableBlue's Homepage
Us Jim-blinded and Artie-blinded gals will *review* the drooling and fainting portions and we'll leave the technicalities and in-depth serious, serious reviews to Mr Phelps, ccb, Gary and other guys... We are a balanced lot, aren't we.

Blue's rating.

AdorableBlue
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

72 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  05:17:43  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Redhead1617

but I'm not quite sure if I can think of anything "guy" scene that can beat our "girl" scene

~Red

I have to admit, at this point, you are correct. I had many a crush on different female actresses while growing up, but for the life of me I can't think of a good "towel" scene with any of them. Darn!

Gary

P.S. I'm in the middle of moving, so I don't have the time presently to rewatch that episode and give any type of decent review. But I prefer Mr. Phelps to do that anyway.
Go to Top of Page

AdorableBlue
SS novice field agent

948 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  13:41:15  Show Profile  Visit AdorableBlue's Homepage
quote:
I have to admit, at this point, you are correct. I had many a crush on different female actresses while growing up, but for the life of me I can't think of a good "towel" scene with any of them. Darn!
For the likes of me, I've forgotten her name - but, Gary, what about that lady in yellow in TNOT Gruesome Games - hehehehe........she was in a towel and I hear some guys find her attractive. Then there's Jennifer Wingate in the soapy tub.....

AdorableBlue
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000