Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

72 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  14:23:43  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by AdorableBlue

quote:
I have to admit, at this point, you are correct. I had many a crush on different female actresses while growing up, but for the life of me I can't think of a good "towel" scene with any of them. Darn!
For the likes of me, I've forgotten her name - but, Gary, what about that lady in yellow in TNOT Gruesome Games - hehehehe........she was in a towel and I hear some guys find her attractive. Then there's Jennifer Wingate in the soapy tub.....

AdorableBlue

True enough, but they weren't moving around (violently) as we watched with baited breath to see if something slipped.

Gary
Go to Top of Page

JimPhelps
SS 1st assignment - desk job

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2004 :  08:07:00  Show Profile
I am happy to announce that I received the rest of the first season including CH first disc of Season two. TNOT Two Legged Buffalo is a lot of fun. I’ll go through it tonight and hopefully have a review posted over the weekend.

Mr. Phelps
Go to Top of Page

JimPhelps

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2004 :  08:46:27  Show Profile
TNOT Two Legged Buffalo

Lot’s of fun and with a great performance by the leading guest star Nick Adams, an underrated talent. I really have to thank ccb for planting the seed on what angle to take when looking at this one. It has always been one of my favorites but I was never able to put my finger on it until reading what ccb had to say about how deception, reversal and irony are major themes in the episode.

From the beginning it’s all about reversals, deception, and irony, the two effeminate henchmen Claude and Victor who take walks together to watch the sunset, the ringleader Lady Beatrice who appears fragile but is tough as nails unlike her two helpers. Even the Prince himself has rejected his native (and more masculine oriented) culture viewing his father as silly and hopelessly out of touch. All the major male guest stars in this episode display feminine qualities, and the relationship between Victor and Claude does remind me a bit of the hit men duo Wint and Kidd from both the movie and novel “Diamonds Are Forever.” Both Jim and Artie appear bare-chested in different parts of the episode while Lady Beatrice, the only female, remains covered from neck to toe.

The deceptions show up early, Jim uses an alias “Roger Colby” (RC are the initials), and his cane conceals a telegraph device. Lady Beatrice “accidentally” runs into Jim thereby identifying him for Victor and Claude, who show no interest in women except when they discuss Beatrice’s possible “reaction” upon discovering a dead Jim West, and in that instance their interest seems ghoulish rather than prurient. Robert Emhardt is especially good as Claude (nicknamed “Bouji”); his characterization has a lot of nice effete comic touches, but I do not want to neglect Paul Comi as Victor, his fake accent (like in his speech about “time” at the beginning of Act II) is hilarious. Dana Wynter is great as the hardened Beatrice with a delicate looking exterior. The scene in her hotel room after she encounters the very much alive Jim again demonstrates the under running theme of the opposite occurring of what’s expected. Claude and Victor appear to be hiding and seem to come towards Beatrice menacingly with a knife but it is she who quickly takes control, slaps Victor and threatens Claude with the knife. No question who the boss is here.

After Artie tries (but fails) to deceive the Prince in to detouring to San Francisco (another irony, Artie tries to put the Prince off of visiting the spa by saying the women are “fat”, but the Prince “loves” fat women) Artie is himself deceived by men who look and act like bandits (but are really good guys hired by Jim) leave valuable jewels and instead kidnap the Prince. Then there's the wonderful scene when Jim allows Artie to volunteer, he tricks him into volunteering really, to act as decoy for the Prince. Again going with the theme of deceptions, ironies, and reversals

At the spa, Artie’s charade doesn’t fool Beatrice who is a partner with the real Prince. More deception is used to ensnare Jim; Bouji displays an artificial passion for Beatrice attempting to force himself on her so that Jim can come to the “rescue”. Beatrice tries to trick Jim into drinking the drugged liquor but this time it is he who deceives her by drinking from his own stock. During the fake drugging scene there is more irony as Beatrice mentions her relatives with royal blood but no money, the opposite of what is usually expected. After Jim “passes out” Beatrice shoves him away like a mangy dog, this can also be seen as another opposite reaction, I don’t think many women would react that way to handsome James West falling into their arms.

At the mud baths both Victor and Bouji have made a through search of Jim removing all of his clothing (Jim is in a loincloth), and there’s that clever line about Jim clanking when he walks. The mud, which is thought to have a rejuvenating effect, is used to try and kill. I have to agree with ccb that Michael Garrison must have had a chuckle to himself thinking about how that got past censors, but perhaps it was a more innocent time in a sense.

Things seem to make sense after the Prince arrives at the mountain cabin and reveals his alliance with Beatrice. The men who pretended to be bandits and who could have helped Jim are sent away before Jim and Artie discover the truth. Or at least the Prince’s version of the truth. Unfortunately for the Prince he’s a bit naive and doesn’t suspect Beatrice is planning a double cross, she only has eyes for the jewels. In a satisfying climax our heroes are able to knock out Bouji and Victor and through deception (with cooperation from the hard headed Prince) the guys are able to distract Beatrice enough to disarm her. The adventure part of the story ends with another opposite reaction. As Jim tries to restrain Beatrice she shouts:“I hate you!” Jim counters with:“You’ve just made my day.”

The tag is appropriately ironic. The Prince, who was responsible for the entire mess, is unpunished, Jim and Artie must still protect his life, but I have a feeling they are going to keep him on a shot leash diplomatic immunity or not. Nick Adams gets the great final line before the Wanderer goes into the night “I do adore surprises.” Don’t we all?

The commercial break art is Jim heavy this time. Mr. West is in three of the four frames, the final frame for Act IV is a night shot of the train (soon to be almost nonexistent in the color years), the lower left is a great shot of Artie and Jim for the lighthearted end of Act I, Act II is Jim rinsing off the mud in a small pool, and Act III is the spoiled (and not very bright) Prince thinking he has all the cards holding Jim at gunpoint, it’s nice to have a guest star or two in the commercial break art.

So overall this one is really a lot of fun and does not tire after repeated viewings it’s still just as much fun as when I first watched it. Top marks for all: four prosthetic noses out of four.

Mr. Phelps
Go to Top of Page

Redhead1617
SS novice field agent

USA
1393 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2004 :  09:55:36  Show Profile  Visit Redhead1617's Homepage
why Mr. Phelps, I do believe you ruined Spring Break for me by reminding me of a paper I must do with that very paper-style review on deceptions, etc.

~Red

*sigh...where's MY Ross Martin?
Go to Top of Page

JimPhelps

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2004 :  04:45:09  Show Profile
Sorry, I hope you still have an enjoyable break.
quote:
Originally posted by Redhead1617

why Mr. Phelps, I do believe you ruined Spring Break for me by reminding me of a paper I must do with that very paper-style review on deceptions, etc.

~Red

Mr. Phelps
Go to Top of Page

Redhead1617
SS novice field agent

USA
1393 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2004 :  12:53:45  Show Profile  Visit Redhead1617's Homepage
Don't be sorry Mr. Phelps Spring Break's as good as it's gonns get when you spend it at home, but I do need to get my butt in gear with that paper, I don't suppose you'd like to write it for me

nah, didn't think so

j/k

but you do make a lot of good points I haven't really thought of in this episode, like, I've noticed some or most of the deceptions & double crossing and stuff, but I've never really stopped & thought about it... hmm... gives me more appreciation for the writers

~Red

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000