WQ 129: West's Oscars
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2004 :  20:49:37  Show Profile
Having just watched the Academy Awards—with New Zealand receiving the Oscar for Best Country in which to film a major motion-picture epic—let's get a jump on the next WQ, shall we?

Next weekend's feather goes to the player who can identify the most Oscar-winning actors who displayed their talents on The Wild Wild West. For this quiz's purposes, you can work chronologically in both directions: whether they brought Oscar with them to the series, or received their award later n their careers, after their appearance on the show.

Happy Hunting!

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2004 :  04:51:04  Show Profile
I think this is a tricksie question from master!

A lot of the actors where nominated but did not win

One's who did Martin Landau Red-Eyed Madmen Best Actor in a Supporting Role for Ed Wood (1994)

Ed Begley Infernal Machine Best Actor in a Supporting Role
for Sweet Bird of Youth (1962)
If it were the Emmy's my guess would be Ed Asner nominated 13 times winning 7

Go to Top of Page

Elaine
SS 1st assignment - desk job

356 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2004 :  11:13:41  Show Profile
Just a comment here.

I was disappointed not to see a glimpse of RM last night when Blake Edwards was honored. In fact, they didn't even show a frame from Experiement in Terror and the only bit from The Great Race was a millisecond of Jack Lemon's character.

They did remember Jack Elam in the "in memorium" segment.
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2004 :  09:17:06  Show Profile
I'm surprised that last weekend's quiz didn't draw out more Googlers or movie buffs. Whatever the reason, Mary walked away with a well-earned Anabella for correctly identifying Ed Begley and Marty Landau as previous Academy-Award winners who turned up on West.

I just spent a few minutes on the official MPAAS website and recovered the following information, which, though perhaps incomplete, is as close as I can come to comprehensive:

1944–Agnes Moorehead ("The Night of the Vicious Valentine") won the Oscar for best actress in a supporting role for Mrs. Parkington. In 1964 she repeated her triumph in the same category for Hush . . . Hush, Sweet Charlotte.

1955–Arthur O'Connell ("The Night of the Bars of Hell") won for best actor in a supporting role in Picnic. That same year, Jo Van Fleet ("The Night of the Tycoons") won on the distaff side of the same category for East of Eden.

1962–Ed Begley ("The Night of the Infernal Machine"), Best Supporting Actor for Sweet Bird of Youth.

1967–Katherine Ross ("The Night of the Double-Edged Knife"), Best Supporting Actress for The Graduate.

1972–The first of not fewer than five Oscars for Robert Duvall ("The Night of the Falcon"): Best Supporting Actor for The Godfather; thereafter followed by Best Supporting Actor for Apocalypse Now (1979), Best Actor in a Leading Role for Tender Mercies (1983), Best Actor in a Leading Role for The Apostle (1997), and Best Supporting Actor for A Civil Action (1998). Hands down, of all West's guest stars, Bobby Duvall became the most decorated actor by the Motion Picture Academy.

1994–Martin Landau ("The Night of the Red-Eyed Madmen"), Best Supporting Actor for Ed Wood.

While at it, I checked the relevant technical categories for other West-related Oscar winners. At first the only one I could find was a West-near miss: Dmitiri Tiomkin, who composed the first main title never used for the series ("The Ballad of Big Jim West), won Oscars for best musical score in three years: 1952, for "High Noon"; "The High and the Mighty" (1954); "The Old Man and the Sea" (1958). But perserverance pays off, and I actually scored a direct hit: Dave Grusin ("The Night of the Puppeteer") won the 1988 Oscar for Best Original Score for "The Milagro Beanfield War."

If others find more to add to this list that I've missed, I would be most grateful. In the meanwhile, now you know the episodes of [i][West/i] to watch next year, in preparation for the 77th annual Academy Awards!
Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2004 :  09:44:24  Show Profile
ccb

I used http://www.oscars.org/awardsdatabase/to look up the Oscars. Although I found the ones you listed, according to that web site and imdb they were nominated but did not win the Oscar. What is the url for MPAAS website?

Mary
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2004 :  17:08:59  Show Profile
couldron: Although I found the ones you listed, according to that web site and imdb they were nominated but did not win the Oscar. What is the url for MPAAS website?

Mary: Here's the link I used for my own research. After it boots up, click on "Past Winners":

http://www.oscar.com/legacy/index.html

By all means, if I have misinterpreted the information found there, I hope you or others will correct me. The Quizmeister cannot be allowed to disseminate inaccurate information!

Thanks—ccb
Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2004 :  05:15:55  Show Profile

Thank you for the web site.

quote:
By all means, if I have misinterpreted the information found there, I hope you or others will correct me

ccb I found the way they set up their list confusing. They list all the nominations but a win is indicated by an asterisk (*). If you will notice there is no asterisks so all the ones you listed are just nominations
Estelle Parsons won for Bonnie and Clyde beating out Katherine Ross. I was surprised that Agnes Moorehead never received an oscar although she was nominated four times.

Go to Top of Page

K Mills
SS novice field agent

849 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2004 :  07:01:51  Show Profile
I think we all agree that Mary deserves more than a feather. Maybe a hat? Good job, Mary! K
Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2004 :  07:41:03  Show Profile
quote:
Maybe a hat?

A dunce

Thanks K. I would hate to take another feather from Anabella.
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2004 :  18:01:53  Show Profile
I concur entirely with K: Mary deserves more than a feather for her super-sleuthing and important corrections of my misinformatrion. I hereby bestow on her a gold-knit, Oscar-shaped cap, which I hope she will wear with pride as well as assurance that no birds were defeathered in its manufacture.

Thanks again—
Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2004 :  12:44:00  Show Profile
I thought some things needed clarification.

Robert Duvall did win for Tender Mercies
quote:
While at it, I checked the relevant technical categories for other West-related Oscar winners. At first the only one I could find was a West-near miss: Dmitiri Tiomkin, who composed the first main title never used for the series ("The Ballad of Big Jim West), won Oscars for best musical score in three years: 1952, for "High Noon"; "The High and the Mighty" (1954); "The Old Man and the Sea" (1958). But perserverance pays off, and I actually scored a direct hit: Dave Grusin ("The Night of the Puppeteer") won the 1988 Oscar for Best Original Score for "The Milagro Beanfield War."

ccb is impeccable when it comes to music and this is absolutely correct.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000