An interesting find...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tina_als_girl
SS spy school graduate

55 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  17:11:25  Show Profile
Considering how much "that movie" is loathed, I doubt anyone on here has ever gone looking on the 'Net for a script of it, so I don't know if anyone's happened to come across what I just discovered.

I was doing research for a WWW story idea I got, so I was looking for the script of the 1999 movie... What I found was not what I was searching for, but it was definitely a pleasant surprise.

I don't know when this version of the script for the 1999 movie was written, but it must have been *very* early on... like, before any casting had been done. What I'm about to link to is an undated version of the WWW movie script that bears very little resemblance to the final version. As I skimmed through it, the only thing that was running through my mind was, "Why in the *WORLD* did they change it?!"

I now present to you the script for how "that movie" might have been... had we been lucky.

http://www.scifiscripts.com/scripts/wildwest.txt

Joy

PS: Please forgive me if this post is out of line or anything. I'm a newbie on this forum, so I still haven't gotten the full hang of how things work around here.

Redhead1617
SS novice field agent

USA
1393 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  19:49:27  Show Profile  Visit Redhead1617's Homepage
*blank look*
how did they get *that* from *this*
*giggles a little*
not sure, but if I had to choose, I'd take *that* over *this*
is *this* for real though
must say, they're equally dirty... just like Catullus, which my Latin teacher almost made me read today, but my red face and vocal modesty got me another sentence to read and translate *smiles innocently*

~Red

*sigh...where's MY Ross Martin?
Go to Top of Page

tina_als_girl
SS spy school graduate

55 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  20:49:57  Show Profile
As far as I know, it's for real.

I didn't read through it word-for-word, so I'm sure I missed a lot--both bad and good. There was one part, though, that really stood out to me and made me laugh up a storm. Yeah, it's a wee bit childish, but I have a tendency to enjoy/tolerate humor like this (which could be why I don't totally hate the final movie version):

ARTEMUS
You know your Morse Code almost as well as I.

JIM
Almost?

ARTEMUS
Yes. Now, observe....

He starts winking his eyes, one eye then the other, in an exaggerated way. Jim stares at the strange sight.

JIM
You feeling all right?

ARTEMUS
Come on, Jim. I'm serious.
(points to his right eye)
Dot...
(and to his left eye)
Dash. It'll be our secret means of communication should we ever need it.

He gives Jim a quick flurry of winks.

ARTEMUS
Now, what was that?

JIM
You're either having a seizure or you just said "hello."

ARTEMUS
Good, I wasn't sure you were up to it.

Jim leans forward and angrily winks a message back.

Artemus is insulted.

ARTEMUS
No need for profanity.

I thought that particular exchange was rather funny, and I would love to have seen that make it into the movie. That is, of course, when keeping in mind that this was a modern version of the series, and therefore was inevitably going have some less innocent humor than that in the series. ('course, I may be a bit off in my interpretations, as I really haven't seen all that many eps of WWW, because reruns are few and far between these days)

Joy
Go to Top of Page

AdorableBlue
SS novice field agent

948 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  21:52:00  Show Profile  Visit AdorableBlue's Homepage
I can't remember much dialogue from the movie (nor what it was all about either ) but this script seemed different.

Although its a "first-time Jim and Artie met" story, it has all the other Jim-action and a storyline quite typical of www. Even the names Garrison, Cassandra, etc. seemed to have been plucked out of the original somewhere. And the part about Jim getting woozy and knocked out after kissing Cassandra is exactly like in an eps of Man Called Sloane - also a lipstick.

AdorableBlue
Go to Top of Page

tina_als_girl
SS spy school graduate

55 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2004 :  22:33:54  Show Profile
Yes, the script is definitely different. My guess is it's one of the earliest (possible THE earliest) drafts of the script, written before any casting ideas had been thrown into the mix. I have a feeling Sonnenfeld had a lot of influence over the changes made to the script.

It's obvious that the writers originally wanted to emulate the series more closely than the final product did. One of their nods to the fans of the show I found to be quite interesting; it was the following...

At the beginning of the script:

Jim gazes at the amazing contraption but keeps moving toward --

ANGLE - STEAM ENGINE NUMBER FOUR

A gleaming, steaming, new state-of-the-art steam engine waits at the platform.

Jim eyes the train. Can this be the one? It's just an engine, tender car and two custom private passenger cars. He pulls out his orders to double-check.

At the end of the script:

A lonely STEAM WHISTLE sounds in the distance. He looks off. A train is coming.

But as the locomotive draws near, he realizes -- it's an exact copy of the Wanderer. Except the engine is Number 5, the number the show's fans know (and they thought we had it wrong all this time). Artemus is stunned.

What I also liked is how it seemed Jim and Artie started getting along a lot easier in this script than in the final movie. That's one thing that didn't sit quite well with me in the movie; they show quite a bit of animosity toward each other until near the very end. In this script, they seem to accept their partnership with a bit more ease...

Joy
Go to Top of Page

AdorableBlue
SS novice field agent

948 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  00:21:49  Show Profile  Visit AdorableBlue's Homepage
quote:
What I also liked is how it seemed Jim and Artie started getting along a lot easier in this script than in the final movie. That's one thing that didn't sit quite well with me in the movie; they show quite a bit of animosity toward each other until near the very end. In this script, they seem to accept their partnership with a bit more ease..
I didn't like that either. Jim & Artie had always blended perfectly and the movie went over the limits. This script is still alright - since they were to have just met.

The other part of the movie that made it un-WWW to me was when Smith was in that water tower, supposedly naked. Yeah, the audience got a good laugh but very, very, un-WWW. James West would never be caught with his pants down - literally. (or would he? Heheheheh............if Blue's the one causing it ) ahhh.....sorry to detract.

Perhaps when RC was shown the script he then thought he'd like a cameo part as Grant.

AdorableBlue
Go to Top of Page

tina_als_girl
SS spy school graduate

55 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  05:44:09  Show Profile
I just wish they would have listened to George Clooney. They made a mistake originally casting him as Artie. If they had just cast him as Jim, and then gotten Kevin Kline for Artie, and used this early draft of the script....

Man, what a different movie that would be (and probably better).

Joy
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

16 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  16:17:04  Show Profile
Wow, what a change. Nice find Joy.

The problem with movie remakes is that you have to cram in tons of information in a 120 minute story. So what do the producers of a movie do? An introduction story of course! Oh, and the main characters, as well as they worked together in the original show, must hate each other in the beginning. It works sometimes in films and here it could have worked.

You're able to imagine the two not getting along since Jim is your action man and Artie is your speciality guy but then they can resolve their differences and become an unbeatable team by the end. How else could the movie producers introduce the characters to an unfamiliar audience? But alas while the film tried this, the chemistry that was so evident in the series was just not present here. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Plus with the pop culture, racy and racist jokes thrown into the mixture...well, it just made for a bad combo. And as far as I was concerned, the movie was all about Jim West. Artie just happened to be the lovable sidekick, unlike in the series which was clearly a double lead show.

Uh, yeah. Guess that's all I have to say. That morse code thing cracked me up though. You're not the only one who enjoys childish humor, I live for it. I was trying it on my mom after I finished the script.
"Mom, get ready for some morse code!"
"Jess...are you ok? Do you have something in your eyes?"

Buahaha. Oh, and always listen to George Clooney.
Go to Top of Page

tina_als_girl
SS spy school graduate

55 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2004 :  18:38:18  Show Profile
Yeah, I agree with you on the whole introduction story thing. It's like with Rush Hour or Shanghai Noon. With both, we started out with two very different people who pretty much clashed with each other through the entire movie except for the very end. In the sequels, they were now best buds and worked together fluidly, like Jim and Artie did in the series.

So, had the WWW movie been good enough to constitute a sequel, we very likely would have seen the camaradarie that we were hoping to see between Jim & Artie. I think we got more of it in this early draft of the script.

Oh, I also loved this part of the script, when the Tarantula is introduced:

PEMBERTON
(terrified)
He calls it the Tarantula.

ARTEMUS
But it only has six legs.

JIM
Shut up.

I can *so* hear Kevin Kline saying that line in my head.

Joy
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

16 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  03:22:23  Show Profile
ARTEMUS
Eight scientists. Eight different fields of endeavor. Hydraulics,
optics, ballistics...

JIM
Put them all together and what do we have?

ARTEMUS
(speculating) A giant... hydraulically operated microscope... that explodes? (shrugs) Or maybe just someone who scientists.

For some reason I liked that part too. I think I would some day like to own one of these hydraulically operated microscopes.

I won't reiterate my love for Kevin Kline, everyone knows it is deep and boundless.

But seriously, the movie liked to bash poor Artie. I know sometimes Jim would zing him in the series, but it always was light-hearted and done out of love. It just felt different coming out of the mouth of the Fresh Prince.
Go to Top of Page

AdorableBlue
SS novice field agent

948 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  08:25:48  Show Profile  Visit AdorableBlue's Homepage
Out of curiosity, Joy, were you in SMK or B5 boards/groups?
Your addy is very familiar to me.

AdorableBlue
Go to Top of Page

tina_als_girl
SS spy school graduate

55 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  10:09:26  Show Profile
I don't have a full grasp on the series yet (as I've only seen a small handful of eps), so I was wondering... In the show, which aspect of Artie is more prominent: the acting/disguises or invention stuff? I think they made Artie into too much of a zany inventor in the movie whereas I would like to have seen them highlight his disguises (and do those a bit better) and acting.

I do think the jokes in the movie became far too childish and outrageous. I would much rather have had a joke like the Morse Code bit rather than the very immature "Breath of fresh *ss/Breast of fresh air" bit... That, IMHO, was probably the worst joke in the movie.

Joy

PS: Adorable Blue:

I know that B5 stands for Babylon 5 (I'm pretty sure, at least), and no, I've not been on any B5 boards. And I have no idea what SMK stands for (Scarecrow & Mrs. King, maybe? If so, I may have come by the PAX TV SMK board once)... The only place you're likely to have seen me is any Quantum Leap, Touched By An Angel, Harry Potter, or Pirates of the Caribbean boards.
Go to Top of Page

AdorableBlue
SS novice field agent

948 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2004 :  16:28:01  Show Profile  Visit AdorableBlue's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by tina_als_girl

I don't have a full grasp on the series yet (as I've only seen a small handful of eps), so I was wondering... In the show, which aspect of Artie is more prominent: the acting/disguises or invention stuff? I think they made Artie into too much of a zany inventor in the movie whereas I would like to have seen them highlight his disguises (and do those a bit better) and acting.

Artie's disguises are a major highlight of each eps, the acting (if its not the theatrical acting) goes with the character his chose to disguise. But he's also one who likes and enjoys invesnting stuff but usually things that would assist James in his mission.

The jokes were bad. If it had been on Fresh Air, it would have been alright, I would think. But on WWW, its out of place. Again, James West wouldn't have cracked such jokes. He adores women, but he's discreet always (so he said in TNOT Thousand Eyes). The script, the script - definitely better.

Oh yes, you got both abbrev. right. Perhaps it was SMK - you weren't long there, neither was I.

AdorableBlue
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000