WQ 163: The Night of the Vicious Valentine
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  22:32:18  Show Profile
In honor of the season, this weekend's quiz is devoted to a single, appropriate episode.

1. “The Night of the Vicious Valentine” boasts a unique distinction that cannot be said of any of the series’ other 103 installments. What is it?

2. In this episode, West uses a domestic accessory to confirm a vital, typographical clue. What was that clue, and what is the name of the gadget he uses?

3. As a charter member of Orson Welles’s famous radio troupe, The Mercury Theater on the Air, which of this episode’s performers made a motion-picture debut in the Hollywood classic, Citizen Kane (1941)?

4. In this episode, we learn not only Mr. West’s favorite wine but also how he insists on its being served. Name the one and describe the other.

5. What is the name, and who is the composer, of the piano piece played by Curtis Dodd in this episode’s teaser?

6. A prop from West’s first season, vital to its plotline, makes a purely decorative reappearance in “The Vicious Valentine.” What is it?

7. One of this episode’s actors was married to Peter Brown, a starring performer in a more conventional TV western of the era, produced by Warner Bros. Name that actor and her husband’s series.

8. What was the longest that any of Miss Valentine’s doomed grooms lived after weddings she arranged?

9. An episode from another spy series of the 1960s adopted “Valentine”'s premise: a matchmaking service designed to topple the national government. Name that other series. (Extra points if you can name its episode title.)

10. The breakthrough role for one of this episode’s actors was that of Danny Thomas’s daughter in the popular sit-com, Make Room for Daddy. Name that actor. (A special Arabella goes to anyone who can correctly identify the competing actress beaten out for that plum role.)

11. A trivial but blatant plot inconsistency emerges within this episode’s first six minutes. What is it?

12. The original trailer for this episode (“Next on The Wild Wild West”) consisted of four excerpts from it. How many of these do you know or can you correctly guess?

13. Early in Act I, Colonel Crockett refers to Dodd’s death as the latest of serial murders, “The Alphabet Killings.” What famous mystery novelist wrote The ABC Murders?

14. Not many years before “The Vicious Valentine,” which of this episode’s actors played an investigator in an Alfred Hitchcock movie? (Extra points if you can correctly identify the film.)

Correct answers will be confirmed next Monday, on Emma Valentine's Day.

Redhead1617
SS novice field agent

USA
1393 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2005 :  22:40:50  Show Profile  Visit Redhead1617's Homepage
these quizzes keep getting harder and harder ccb... at 1:40am I should and probably do have this quiz to myself for the time being but I don't have any answers for it, just a guess or two

4. going back to quiz #106... Chateau Rothschild (thanks Blue )
make that chilled
11. the next victum breaks the pattern??????????

I'm going to bed now!

~Red

*sigh...where's MY Ross Martin?
Go to Top of Page

orrin cobb
SS novice field agent

USA
959 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  06:53:39  Show Profile  Visit orrin cobb's Homepage
I'll have a go at this:

2. In this episode, West uses a domestic accessory to confirm a vital, typographical clue. What was that clue, and what is the name of the gadget he uses?

A stereoopticon.

3. As a charter member of Orson Welles’s famous radio troupe, The Mercury Theater on the Air, which of this episode’s performers made a motion-picture debut in the Hollywood classic, Citizen Kane (1941)?

Agnes Moorhead

14. Not many years before “The Vicious Valentine,” which of this episode’s actors played an investigator in an Alfred Hitchcock movie? (Extra points if you can correctly identify the film.)

Henry Beckman
Go to Top of Page

lleroy
SS 1st assignment - desk job

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  07:05:09  Show Profile
Reading this quiz makes me want to watch the episode again!

1. Agnes Moorehead won an emmy for her work in this episode, the only guest star to do so, I believe.

3. Agnes Moorehead

7. Peter Brown starred in "The Lawman" from 1958 to 1962, but I don't know who he was married to. I'll guess Sherry Jackson.

10. Sherry Jackson

13. Agatha Christie

Leslie
Go to Top of Page

lleroy

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  07:12:11  Show Profile
14. Orrin, you quit in the middle of your answer! The movie was "Marnie".

Leslie
Go to Top of Page

Elaine

356 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  15:18:12  Show Profile
All right, it's been a while since I've been able to play, but I love this episode!

1. TNOT Vicious Valentine was the only West episode with an Emmy win. Agnes Moorehead won the Emmy for Outstanding Performance by a an Actress in a Supporting Role in 1967.

2. James uses a stereopticon to verify that the decorative M on both the thank you cards has the same broken serif.

3. Agnes Moorehead as Mary Kane

4. Chateau Rothchild 1846 and it must be "properly chilled".

5. Chopin's "Fantaisie Impromptu in C# Minor"

6. The portrait of Gov. Bradford (also played by Henry Beckman) from TNOT Torture Chamber.

7. Peter Brown appeared as Deputy McKay in "Lawman". He was married to actress Diane Jergens. Could you have perhaps mistakenly thought it was Diane McBain (Elaine Dodd)?

8. None of the grooms lived more than six months after their weddings.

10. Sherry Jackson played Terry Williams from 1953-58.

12. I guess: James restrained in Emma's "armchair", Jim and Artie tied to the stained glass skylight, any scene featuring the guest star Agnes Moorehead and an excerpt from the fight in the card shop.

13. Agatha Christie

14. Henry Beckman in "Marnie".

Go to Top of Page

lleroy

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  17:11:48  Show Profile
11. A trivial but blatant plot inconsistency emerges within this episode’s first six minutes. What is it?

Well, here's a thing that's probably in the first six minutes, though I'm not sure I'd call it trivial: in the scene where Jim and Artie are comparing the two notes to see that there is the same "broken serif" (do they know what a serif is?) on both, there is no discernible break in the "M" on the left.

Leslie
Go to Top of Page

lleroy

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  18:24:16  Show Profile

I need to retract my first answer to this one. Upon further reflection (and viewing), I see that the first "M" on the card is broken and the second one isn't. This would be correct as, on a typesetting job, they could have one "M" that was broken and others that weren't.

How about this: the sign at the beginning of the scene tells us that we are in Kansas City, but Dodd supposedly lives in Wichita.

Leslie
Go to Top of Page

K Mills
SS novice field agent

849 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2005 :  18:41:22  Show Profile
I was thinking the Wichita thing. I'm not even sure the railroad went to Wichita in those days.
Go to Top of Page

beerbad
SS novice field agent

682 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  06:24:20  Show Profile
I'm guessing that #9 would be the Man From Uncle and the episode would be the Love Affair.

The actress that Sherry Jackson beat out? I looked Sherry up on the computer once and I think she beat out Mary Tyler Moore. That's #10's special Arabella answer.
Go to Top of Page

AdorableBlue
SS novice field agent

948 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2005 :  20:16:34  Show Profile  Visit AdorableBlue's Homepage
This is a fav eps of mine. But first, I thought Mary was doing a Review on this eps (I just didn't see the "WQ 163" ). Secondly and sadly, ccb's questions are pretty long and this short-circuit brain just can't think of the answers

You're welcome, Red. Hmmm.....let's see

1. Unique distinction, perhaps its the only eps where the villain's a female and the plan is for women to take control.

8. Henry Beckman's character - Paul (the one Michelle LeMasters was to marry). Lived longer than six months

11. Thank you card with the broken M serif from a previous widow and ....what's the other card Jim was comparing?

AdorableBlue
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2005 :  22:22:31  Show Profile
On the East Coast of the USA, it's now almost 1:15 am, 02/15. I missed my self-imposed Valentine's deadline by over an hour. As Mr. Gordon reminds us, however, "Nobody's perfect."

Everyone seems to have had a good time with this WQ. That's the whole point!

We have correct answers for ##1 (Leslie and Elaine), 2 (Orrin and Elaine), 3 (Orrin and Elaine), 4 (Red and Elaine), 5, 6, 7, 8 (Elaine), 10 (Leslie, Elaine, beerbad), 11 (Leslie and Karen), 12 (Elaine, with 2 out of a possible 4), 13 (Leslie and Elaine), and 14 (Orrin, Leslie, and Elaine).

Elaine, on #7: Peter Brown appeared as Deputy McKay in "Lawman". He was married to actress Diane Jergens. Could you have perhaps mistakenly thought it was Diane McBain (Elaine Dodd)?

Whoops! Elaine is exactly right about Diane Jergens, to whom Peter Brown was married less than one year (1958-59). For the reason underlying my confusion, please follow this link—

http://www.peterbrown.tv/lmgossip2.html

—which, as the creators of that site make clear, was a complete put-up job by Warner Bros. to showcase their contract actors. I guess I was too busy admiring Ms. McBain's face and figure to get my facts straight. Others must speak to Mr. Brown's charms.

Regarding No. 9: The correct answer is The Avengers (1965), starring Patrick Macnee and Diana Rigg. The episode: "The Murder Market"—in which "Steed Seeks a Wife [, and] Emma Gets Buried"—by Tony Williamson.

No. 12: the episode's excerpts for its original trailer. It went like this:

Cue Music and Animated Title: "Next on The Wild Wild West"

1. Int. The Card Shop (Day):
VALENTINE: Mr. West—Have you ever been discovered?
WEST: I didn't know anyone was looking for me.
VALENTINE: Why not . . . ?

2. Int. The Card Shop (Night):
Fight scene, climaxing with ARTEMUS threatened with decapitation by guillotine.

3. Int. VALENTINE'S stained-glass chapel attic (Night):
VALENTINE: Do keep your eyes on the glass goblet, gentlemen, while Elaine strikes the chord.
(ELAINE plucks piano lines and shatters wine glass.)
WEST: Quite a finalé for a wedding.
VALENTINE: When that proper final chord is struck, like a great Amen, the glass breaks—
ARTEMUS: And as the glass goes, so goes the framing.
VALENTINE: Precisely.

4. Int. VALENTINE'S wedding chapel (Night):
As ELAINE plays the first bars of Mendellsohn's "Wedding March," Miss VALENTINE looks upward. Cut to shadowed figures on the stained-glass skylight.

The tote:

Honorable mentions to Red, Blue, and Karen;
Henriettas to Orrin and Leslie;
Elaine takes the Anabella, with an amazing 16 correct answers and a special commendation for clarifying Dianes in the Quizmeister's muddy mind;
and—as promised—the special Arabella to beerbad for knowing that Sherry Jackson won the role of Danny Thomas's daughter over Mary Tyler Moore. That story, by the way, had a happy ending: When Carl Reiner couldn't find the right actress to cast as Laura Petrie on The **** Van Dyke Show, co-producer Danny Thomas remembered "the girl with three names." The rest is show-business history.

Roses are red,
Violets are blue:
I do love creating
Weekend Quizes for you!
Go to Top of Page

Redhead1617
SS novice field agent

USA
1393 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2005 :  01:13:50  Show Profile  Visit Redhead1617's Homepage
congrats Elaine, Orrin, & Leslie! And thank you for the poem quizmaster

they showed all the best parts for the trailer! eh, but the whole episode was great, I particularily love

quote:
2. Int. The Card Shop (Night):
Fight scene, climaxing with ARTEMUS threatened with decapitation by guillotine.

~Red

*sigh...where's MY Ross Martin?
Go to Top of Page

beerbad
SS novice field agent

682 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2005 :  07:30:56  Show Profile
We love it, too! Thank you Quizmaster!
Go to Top of Page

K Mills
SS novice field agent

849 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2005 :  08:41:49  Show Profile
Good job, Elaine! I knew you wuz smart!
Go to Top of Page

Elaine

356 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2005 :  12:20:29  Show Profile
quote:
I was too busy admiring Ms. McBain's face and figure to get my facts straight.

It's not easy to catch the quizmaster out, but if anyone could throw a guy for a loop, it would be Ms. McBain.

I joyfully accept my Anabella and thank ccb for his labor of love!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000