WQ 167: What Am I?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2005 :  21:05:21  Show Profile
A causeuse. How many episodes can you name in which I appeared? And which of Mr. West's ladies plopped her fanny into me?

AdorableBlue
SS novice field agent

948 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2005 :  00:25:40  Show Profile  Visit AdorableBlue's Homepage
Is that the yellow 2-seater you're referring to, ccb? If so, its a relatively simple question but I just can't recall all 'em eps . How many eps it appeared? Golden Cobra, Eccentrics, Braine, Big Blackmail, Underground Terror, Raven, Amnesiac, Camera, Egyptian Queen and Death Masks. Can't recall the others.

As for "where ladies plopped their fannies into" I can only recall TNOT Vicious Valentine (Elaine Dodd), TNOT Tartar (at the tag), TNOT Circus of Death (Erica at tag), TNOT Firebrand (Lana Wood at Tag), TNOT Samurai (Reiko) and Iron Fist (the Count's lady.

Hmmm........West's ladies? That's WWW or JW? How did I do, ccb?

AdorableBlue
Go to Top of Page

Elaine
SS 1st assignment - desk job

356 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2005 :  08:53:09  Show Profile
I love this question - not that I can begin to provide the answer, mind you - and I hold Blue in high regard for trying.

However, since we are on the topic of couches, ccb, do you know if there is also a name for that round couch that keeps showing up in assorted mansions and hotels in various episodes?
Go to Top of Page

K Mills
SS novice field agent

849 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2005 :  09:29:34  Show Profile
There's also one just like it on Angel Season Three. I want one.
Go to Top of Page

couldron
SS novice field agent

1438 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2005 :  10:03:40  Show Profile
quote:
A causeuse.
God Bless youYou weren't sneezing

I have no idea what it was until a google search came up with the following:
causeur – an easy talker, frequently witty, plesant to hear

causeuse – formerly meant a female version of the same; now means a small cofa cozy for two people to have a long chat
Until recently, the history of art, particularly that of literature, has had more in common with causerie than with scholarship. It obeyed all the laws of causerie, skipping blithely from topic to topic, from lyrical effusions on the elegance of forms to anecdotes from the artist's life, from psychological truisms to questions concerning philosophical significance and social environment.
– Roman Jakobson, On Realism and Art, (1921; translated), reprinted in Context on-line forum of literary criticism

traditionnelle / Traditional two seat sofa/love seat.
Go to Top of Page

orrin cobb
SS novice field agent

USA
959 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2005 :  14:48:19  Show Profile  Visit orrin cobb's Homepage
A round couch, often with a pedestal back in the center is called a pouffe.
Go to Top of Page

Elaine

356 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2005 :  17:24:40  Show Profile
Thanks Orrin. Trains and interior design!

BTW, I ran across an interesting book available through Dover Publications: "The Golden Age of the Steam Locomotive: With Over 250 Classic Illustrations" by J.G. Pangborn. It is a reprint of the 1894 edition. Have you seen this book?
Go to Top of Page

orrin cobb
SS novice field agent

USA
959 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  06:33:37  Show Profile  Visit orrin cobb's Homepage
Hi Elaine- yes, I have that book in my library, alot of great illustrations from the era of steam railroading.
Go to Top of Page

Redhead1617
SS novice field agent

USA
1393 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2005 :  08:43:04  Show Profile  Visit Redhead1617's Homepage
ohhhh that sounds like something that I'd find in my bi-weekly escoursion to Barnes & Nobles... I'd have to keep "two eyes (out for it) as often as I can spare them"

~Red

*sigh...where's MY Ross Martin?
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2005 :  19:40:54  Show Profile
Elaine: However, since we are on the topic of couches, ccb, do you know if there is also a name for that round couch that keeps showing up in assorted mansions and hotels in various episodes?

Orrin: A round couch, often with a pedestal back in the center is called a pouffe.

That item of upholstered furniture is also known as a causeuse, from the French verb causer, "to chat." Hence, a small sofa, often circular, where one makes small talk.

If you follow this link, you can see one, updated in a special modular design. Why, with a little less than 4K, you can buy one for your own foyer:

http://www.magnoliahall.com/Victorian-Living-Rooms.html#Circ

Elaine asked the right question, but Orrin sniffed out its answer. He gets the Anabella.

But wait—

Nobody has yet identified the episodes with a causeuse, or the one episode with that notorious fanny-plopper.

This quiz continues!
Go to Top of Page

Elaine

356 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  07:20:33  Show Profile
Thank you ccb, for your tip. I'm planning to order my new pouffe/causeuse immediately. It will fill that dreadful open space in my large entry hall perfectly! And while I at first considered the Vicksburg Parlor Group (so reminiscent of Col. Vautrain's beloved Live Oak Manor), I've decided to go with the Wingate Manor Living Room (Jennifer has such a lovely sense of style.)and I'm getting that Carved Mahogany Fainting Sofa to round out the grouping. (One never knows when Artemus may drop in unannounced!)
Go to Top of Page

K Mills
SS novice field agent

849 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  08:40:53  Show Profile
Red-Eyed Madman Teaser, Death Masks, Act 3, Jim was sleeping on it (sigh), and Poisonous Posey Act 1. I can't wait for Elaine to get hers!
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2005 :  20:33:25  Show Profile
Elaine: . . . and I'm getting that Carved Mahogany Fainting Sofa to round out the grouping. (One never knows when Artemus may drop in unannounced!)

Good for you! And should Mr. Gordon drop in unannounced, we all may join you in fainting on your sofa.
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2005 :  22:13:51  Show Profile
Karen takes this quiz, though I'm sure The Series boasted many other hotel lobbies adorned with highbacked circular sofas (for example, the Gibson Hotel in "The Colonel's Ghost"—though it's been a while since I've seen that one).

The fanny-plopper I had in mind was Dr. Potato Chip, feeling tipsy after dinner and drinks at The Crow's Nest with Our Boys in "The Night of the Deadly Bubble" (Act II).
Go to Top of Page

K Mills
SS novice field agent

849 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2005 :  09:36:34  Show Profile
So - um - do I get a feather or just some bird droppings??
Go to Top of Page

ccb
SS Quizmaster Emeritus

3799 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2005 :  18:46:35  Show Profile
K Mills: ". . . do I get a feather or just some bird droppings??"

But of course! Another Anabella for K!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000