Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 20

kitana
SS novice field agent

1578 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  18:40:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
KIt lay on her cot staring at the ceiling when she heard a Key turn in the lock of the cell she was on her feet immediatly waiting for anything. It was the young Deputy from earlier.
"Miss Montgomery, it is clear now if you head to the church at the edge of town the preacher says he will grant you safety, the Col is a very religious man he will not harm the church nor cross its threshold to take you."

"What about you I don't want any harm to come to you."

"There wont be any, I promise."

Kit Nodded and thanked him, She went out the back and rounded the corner running right into the Sheriff. She spun on her heels, rounded the corner behind the hotel as bullets hit above her head. She was behind the Livery stable now it was open space between her an dthe church. Looking both ways she took off she heard the shouts behind her felt the dirt hit her legs as the bullets barely missed there mark she made it up the steps and into the church door. The firing stopped she looked at the man standing there.
"I seek safty" she huffed
"And so you may have it my child. I am Rev. McLure you are safe here."
"thank you Rev."

Artie, "Come one step closer and I'll misspell your name!"
Go to Top of Page

kitana
SS novice field agent

1578 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  18:49:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Rev showed Kit to a cot in the back with fresh blankets and a wash basin. She sat down looking at her left leg she sighed and tore her pants leg the rest of the way and wet a wash cloth. Good She thought just a graze, she cleaned it up and saw the Rev watching her .

"Can I ask why you agreed to help me?"

"Yes Dr. Montgomery you saved many men during the war many I had thought lost." It was at that moment Kit recognized him.
"Your the Chaplin."
"yes I saw what you did first hand and know that you did no malcie or harm. The Col has never adjusted to his loss and so he needs someone to blame as do the others. You can't place blame on a faceless soilder who pulled the trigger."
"I understand Rev I have always understood"
"And thats what makes you a great Doctor your compassion for others, Try and rest now the trial will begin tomorrow after t he noon meal."

Kit thanked him and he went to his living quarters that were attached to the church.

Go to Top of Page

Artiespet
SS senior field agent

USA
5113 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  19:15:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The shots rang out waking Pet. She sat bold upright startling Artie and Apple who had been sitting at the table quietly talking.

“Kit!” Pet shouted as she threw the blanket to the side and swung her legs over the bed. Artie was the first one to reach her and he gently tried to push her back onto the bed.

“Pet, you need to stay…I’ll go check it out. It might not be Kit, for all you know it could just be a drunken cowhand.” Artie tried to reason with her as Apple approached the bed.

“No, it’s Kit.” Pet pushed them away and stood, shakily.

“Pet,” Apple thought she would try to talk some sense into their fellow agent. “You’ve got to listen to Artie. Even if it is Kit you’re in no shape to help her.”

“Deb, either you two lead the way, you follow me or you get the hell out of my way. Kit needs us and I’m going.” Pet grabbed her boots and tried to put them on.

Apple, seeing the futility in trying to argue further with her stubborn partner, nodded to Artie who helped Pet into her boots and handed her her gun belt. Pet asked for her saddlebag and Artie raised an eyebrow.

“Just in case I need to be ready for anything.” Artie grabbed the saddlebag and the trio left the room headed for the jail.

Agents! Ya can't live with them. And Admin takes a rather dim view to ya blowing em up.
Go to Top of Page

kitana
SS novice field agent

1578 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  19:38:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Rev heard someone banging on the Church doors. He went back through the chapel and opend the doors "Yes Sheriff."

"Sorry to bother you Rev. But a fugative has gone into your church."

"Yes Sheriff and she has asked for safty given by the church an I granted it."

"Rev I don't think you understand she is a murderer."

"An accused murderer and she has no weapons so she can do me no harm."

"The Col is not going to like this."

"The Col has no say he respects the laws of the Church she will be at the trial tomorrow I will see to it until then Sheriff Goodnight."

"Goodnight Rev." The Sheriff walked away grumbling that would be the last time he left young men to guard a lady prisoner.

Go to Top of Page

Artiespet
SS senior field agent

USA
5113 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  19:46:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When the group arrived at the jail the deputy userhed them to the side and told them he had let Kit go and told her to head to the church.

Pet started to make a run for the church when Artie and Apple stopped her. They knew how badly Pet wanted to help Kit and they also knew that she would barge in head first not thinking.

"Pet, you've got to slow down. You can't just head straight for the church. That sheriff will know we are with Kit and it won't be safe for us in this town. We've got to do this quietly."

"There's a back entrance to the church the deputy said we could get in that way. The Reverand will allow us in once we explain who we are." Apple told Pet quietly. Pet searched their eyes and decided they were speaking the truth.

"Fine we do it your way. Just as long as we get to Kit."

They left through the back door and headed across town to the church. They knocked on the back door and waited for the Reverand to answer. Artie keeping his eye on Pet, who was starting her rocking back and forth again and getting that far away look in her eyes. But this time Artie was certain he also saw hatred. Apple waited patiently with her fellow agents.

Agents! Ya can't live with them. And Admin takes a rather dim view to ya blowing em up.
Go to Top of Page

kitana
SS novice field agent

1578 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  19:52:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Rev said a couple of words he was sure he shouldn't have as he opened the back door.
"May I help you?"

"Yes, Rev we are friends Miss Montgomery."

The Rev looked at them suspiciously. "How do I know you Speak the truth."
Kit hobbled around the corner her eyes meeting artie's and then she notcied Apple and she nodded to her but worry shown in her eyes when she saw Pet. "They are friends of mine Rev they wont be long."

The Rev nodded and Kit lead them to the small room she was occuping. she Looked at pet as she sat back down "Now Pet what are you doing out of bed?"

Go to Top of Page

Artiespet
SS senior field agent

USA
5113 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  19:56:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"We will be here as long as we are needed, Kit." Pet said breathing heavily and leaning on the door frame.

They followed Kit back into the church and they sat in some pews. The Reverand left giving them privacy to talk.

Go to Top of Page

kitana
SS novice field agent

1578 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  20:07:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kit looked at her "I am worried about you is all." She looked at Pet and smiled "I know I shouldn't ask this but do you have anything to drink?"

Go to Top of Page

Artiespet
SS senior field agent

USA
5113 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  20:16:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"If Mr. Gor...Artemus will reach into the saddlebag I do. Never leave home without it." Pet smiled at her friend.

Artie glared at her.

"You mean I carried liquor into a church?" Artie asked in shock.

"Oh lighten up, Gordon. We won't get drunk." Pet rolled her eyes looking at Kit.

"You won't because you will not be drinking." Artie handed the flask to Kit.

"Last time I checked my father died a long time ago." Pet glared at him.

"As your superior officer I will not allow it. You aren't well...in fact you shouldn't have come at all. You'd do best to sit quiet."

"Sir, yes sir!" Pet threw him a mock salute and she and Kit laughed.

Go to Top of Page

kitana
SS novice field agent

1578 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  20:28:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kit took a swig out of flask followed quickly by another one.

Artemus looked at her "I am not goning to allow you to get drunk either."

She looked at him "Let a condemed woman have a drink besides there isn't nearly enough in this flask for me to get drunk."

Kit turned to Apple "Apple I know we have had our diffrences but no hard feelings."

Artemus looked at her "You are talking as if this is the end, we are not gonna let you hang."

She looked at him "Do you really think I'll be safe even if the virdict by some chance tomorrow is not guilty I'll be shot down before I get out of town."

She looked at Pet again and smiled "Good to see you are comming through your withdrawel so well, I am glad you are being well taken care of."

Go to Top of Page

Artiespet
SS senior field agent

USA
5113 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  20:45:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Not on my watch, Kit." Pet told her as she looked long and hard at her friend.

"And they take their job VERY seriously. THAT one," she nodded toward Artie, "made me eat soup and SHE read me a bedtime story." Pet nodded to Apple. Kit stared open mouthed.

"I kid you not, Kit. I'm not sure these people are for real." Pet shook her head.

Go to Top of Page

kitana
SS novice field agent

1578 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  20:49:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kit smiled "I am beginning to wonder that myself. Feed you huh, what do I have to do to get on that list." Her smile brodened as ARtemus blushed.
"Well waht did she read you and did it work?"

Go to Top of Page

Artiespet
SS senior field agent

USA
5113 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  20:54:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Oh no missy...these two are MORE than I care to handle. She read me The Celebrated Jumping Frog Of Calaveras County! Much as I love that book it put me to sleep." Pet shook her head.

"And I guess it didn't work too well...I'm here aren't I?" Pet winked and Artie glared.

"Against our better judgment, young lady. We should be going back to the hotel and putting you back to bed." Artie said.

"I'm not ready yet, sir. I'm not leaving Kit alone and unprotected. The Sheriff might honor sanctuary but that flipping Colonel won't." Pet spat.

Go to Top of Page

kitana
SS novice field agent

1578 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  21:01:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"No the Col will Honor the sanctity of the church at least for now I am safer here than in that jail. And Artemus is right you need your rest especially if things go the way I forsee them tomorrow we are all going to need our strength."
She lay her hand on Pet's arm "I will be fine." She unwarped the flesh wound on her leg a poured a little bit of the whiskey on it then wrapped it back up. "My concern now are those stiches in your back. Turn around and let me see how they are healing up."

Go to Top of Page

Artiespet
SS senior field agent

USA
5113 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  21:07:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I'd rather not, Kit. Besides, Mr. Gor...Artemus is here." Pet nodded to him.

"I've seen your back, Pet. I almost cut it open remember. What are you hiding?" Artie wanted to know.

"Uh...notihing." Pet replied as she sighed and turned around.

Go to Top of Page

kitana
SS novice field agent

1578 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  21:14:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kit pulled up Pet's shirt just enough to remove the bandages she looked at the stiching a prodded a bit. Pet hissed a little and Kit bandaged it up. "Its still sore because you have pulled some of the stiches. You havet to slow down. Now you haved pulled them out yet but the muscles around them are a bit inflamed due to you riding and not listening other than that it seems to be healing nicely."

Kit took another swig from the flask and then handed it back to Artemus. "Thanks to all of you, Now you best head back don't want them to find you hear and Pet please rest tonight that is what you really need."

Go to Top of Page

Artiespet
SS senior field agent

USA
5113 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  21:31:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Oh come on, Kit not you too. It's bad enough I have those two Morther Henning me to death not you too. But I do kinda hur..I am tired and I think I'll just go try to get some sleep." Pet had that look in her eye again.

"Pet, you aren't sleeping well?" Kit asked.

"No, she hasn't been sleeping well at all. Her sleep has been fitful at best, Kit." Artie supplied before Pet could cover her tracks. Pet just glared at him as she fidgeted and tried not to wince.

Go to Top of Page

kitana
SS novice field agent

1578 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  21:54:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kit looked at her friend and sighed "pet you should tell me these things I can't help you if I don't know." she turned and cursed looking for a bag that was not there. "Apple if the general store is still open go in and ask for some powders called asprin it is relativly new but if you mix it with some warm milk it will help the pain and as far as we know is non addictive. It is not as strong as morphine but it is better than the alternative"

Artemus looked at Kit a bit confused "And the warm milk?"

"An old mothers remedy to a sleepless child." She smiled warmly at him silently wishing he would stay just for the company and an extra pair of eyes but right now Pet was more her concern.

Apple nodded and headed out the back toward the general store the owner was just closing up but he stopped to help her and had what she needed she paid the man and made her way back to the Hotel.

Go to Top of Page

Artiespet
SS senior field agent

USA
5113 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  22:11:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Artie looked at Kit and saw the look in her eyes. He knew she wanted company and he was torn. Finally he looked at Pet and saw how tired she was and he could read the pain in her eyes. You made her a promise, Artemus, you need to keep it. Pet is starting to break she might trust you soon. Artie stood and looked between the two and marveled at how they could be friends...they were so alike and yet do very different.

"Come on, Pet, let's get you back to your room." Pet looked at him imploringly.

"Nothin doin, Pet. Your doctor, here says you need rest and rest you'll get. You heard her...you pulled some of your stitches. Keep it up and you'll pull more and then you'll find yourself in the hospital." Artie admonished her as he winked at Kit.

"Ok fine, then let's get this over with." Pet stood slowly with Kit and Artie's help. Kit not liking how stiff her friend seemed.

"Kit, I'll be back in the morning." Pet dared Artie to counter her.

"Pet, you just get some rest and I'll see you before the trial starts I'm sure."

Artie helped Pet back to the hotel and Apple had a glass of warm milk with the aspirin in it ready for her. They helped Pet to bed and made sure she drank the mixture. Soon Pet was fast asleep and Apple and Artie once again sat at the table quitely talking.

Go to Top of Page

kitana
SS novice field agent

1578 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2007 :  22:22:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kit was alone again, something she was very used to she hoped that Pet slept well as she locked the door and turned she saw the Rev and he smiled at her handing her a glass of warm milk "Time the Doctor took some her own advice."

"Thank you Rev"

"Sleep well my child you are in my prayers." He walked away headed back to his own sleeping area at the church and wondered how someone with so much good in her heart could be in so much trouble, He prayed that God would welcome her home for though he would speak on her behalf tomorrow he knew th curruption his small town has seen since the Col came and he knew no matter how many spoke in her favor the outcome would still be the same.

Kit walked back to her cot and though she never much cared for warm milk she drank it anyway and lay down upon the cot she looked about the dark room and drifted into a light slumber awaking with every sound.

Go to Top of Page

nittanyapple
SS senior field agent

USA
8570 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  07:41:36  Show Profile  Visit nittanyapple's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Kit really needed the company, Blossom. I wish that I hadn't had to make the choice, but well, I had promised Pet..." his voice drifted off as he explained to Apple the situation after she had left the church.

Apple put her hand on top of his. "Artemus, you are such a good man, I know that it was a hard decision to make. You are a man of your word, and I'm sure that Kit understands that."

"Blossom, how is it that you always know the right thing to say?"
Go to Top of Page

Artiespet
SS senior field agent

USA
5113 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  09:41:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Oh brother, Mr. Gor...Artemus she IS Momma Apple! Don't you ever pay attention?" Pet grumbled not bothering to open her eyes to glare at the man. Both agents turned to look at her.

Go to Top of Page

nittanyapple
SS senior field agent

USA
8570 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  09:45:32  Show Profile  Visit nittanyapple's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OOC: SNERK!!!

~Apple~
The Apple of Artemus Gordon's eye
Go to Top of Page

kitana
SS novice field agent

1578 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  12:35:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kit awoke the next morning as the sun was just begining to rise she sat up and looked around the church it was quiet and for that she was greatful she knew she looked awful and hoped that she would have a chance to at least wash her face. She followed the smell of bacon into to small home attached to the church the Rev smiled from the cook stove. "Back the way you came and to the left is a wash room if you would care to freshen up."

"thank you" Kit hurriedly freashened up and went back into the small Kitchen the Rev was putting the food onto the table and sat down looking at her he smiled.

"its nice to have company been awhie since I had any."

"Its good to be here Rev, I wish it were under better circumstances."

"As do I but God brought you here for a reason and we will do our best to get you free."

"I appreciate that." The rest of the Breakfest was filled with small talk and of days gone by.

Go to Top of Page

Artiespet
SS senior field agent

USA
5113 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  14:27:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pet woke and looked around, finding Apple asleep on the settee and Artie was sleeping with his head resting on his hands. She slid out from under the blankets and grabbed her clothes, boots, gun belt and saddlebags and quietly went into the anteroom.

After she dressed Pet checked her saddlebags to make sure she had enough of what she needed and she quietly slipped out.

Pet made her way to the courthouse and slipped behind it. Pulling her saddlebag from her shoulder she removed some of the contents and set to work. If they think they can railroad one of us they will learn to think twice. Pet again reached into her saddlebag and pulled out the new invention she had been working on and pushed it up under the courthouse.

She made her way around the courthouse, laying fuse line and solid nitro, carefully hiding it. Once she finished with the fuse lines she pulled the remote control device back out and attached all the fuse lines to it and put it back. Smiling evilly, she stepped back and admired her handiwork. No one can see that! Let them try to convict Kit.

Go to Top of Page

nittanyapple
SS senior field agent

USA
8570 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  14:35:22  Show Profile  Visit nittanyapple's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Apple was startled from her dreams, and woke in the haze of early morning. She sat up on the settee and noticed Arte was sleeping at the table, with his head on his arms. Looking over at the bed to see how Pet was faring she found that Pet was not there. Quickly she took in the scene, Pet gone, her boots gone, the gunbelt gone.

"Artemus!" She shook him awake, but the urgency in her voice was what really woke him.

"What? What is it, Apple?"

"Pet...She's gone!" The two agents jumped up and quickly gathered their weapons, then left the room in search of the wayward and injured agent.
Go to Top of Page

nittanyapple
SS senior field agent

USA
8570 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  18:54:23  Show Profile  Visit nittanyapple's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Artemus and Apple tore off through the hotel and outside. "To the church?" Apple looked at Arte, who was shaking his head.

"No, she would want to see Kit, but she wants to help her more. My guess is she has explosives with her." The pair looked at each other for a second, then both said, "Courthouse!"

Apple picked up her skirts and followed Artemus at a run. The courthouse was several blocks away and Artemus was out of breath when they arrived. He was still weak from the virus. Apple was faring a little better, since she had been dancing over the past few weeks her endurance had been built up, and her legs were stronger.

"Are you all right?" she asked him, but he waved away her question, bent over, hands on his knees. "Fine, you just take a few deep breaths, and I'll look for Pet." She rolled her eyes at the older agent and circled the courthouse, looking for signs of her partner. Movement from the north side of the building caught her eye, so she stealthily moved toward the shadows.

Pet was standing in the shadows, catching her breath herself. "What are you up to, Pet?" Apple stepped up to her and caught her arm.

Pet jumped at the sound of her voice, then pulled away from her touch. "Jesus, Mary, and Joseph! Deb didn't anyone ever tell you not to sneak up on a person?!"
Go to Top of Page

nittanyapple
SS senior field agent

USA
8570 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  19:01:57  Show Profile  Visit nittanyapple's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Well Pet, if you don't listen when people talk, why on earth do you expect others to?" Apple retorted, tossing her head a little in defiance.

Pet sighed. "How did you find me, anyway?"

Apple smirked at her partner. "I personally thought that you would be with Kit, but Arte knew better. He figures that you have explosives." Just then Arte joined the women. "Oh good, you found her in time."
Go to Top of Page

kitana
SS novice field agent

1578 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  20:42:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Artemus looked at pet then noticed the wires "Pet you can not blow up the courthouse, we have strick orders from the president himself to let this trial happen. I will help you pick this stuff up."

Jim had gotten up wondering where Artie had gotten off to and went down stairs for some breakfest there he saw bess and went to her table. "Mind if I join you?"

"Not at all Jim, Have you heard from Pidge and Cranston I am worried about them."

"No But we should head out to the Franklin Estate before the trial they may have stay'd out there last night with it being so late."
Bess couldn't help but snicker at the thought of pidge having to share the same room with Cranston.

Go to Top of Page

Artiespet
SS senior field agent

USA
5113 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2007 :  23:59:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kitana

Artemus looked at pet then noticed the wires "Pet you can not blow up the courthouse, we have strick orders from the president himself to let this trial happen. I will help you pick this stuff up."

Jim had gotten up wondering where Artie had gotten off to and went down stairs for some breakfest there he saw bess and went to her table. "Mind if I join you?"

"Not at all Jim, Have you heard from Pidge and Cranston I am worried about them."

"No But we should head out to the Franklin Estate before the trial they may have stay'd out there last night with it being so late."
Bess couldn't help but snicker at the thought of pidge having to share the same room with Cranston.

"I'm sorry, Mr. Gordon but no. I will not remove these explosives. They are on a remote control so as long as things work out no harm done. I made a promise to Kit and I intend to keep it."

Pet glared at Artie and Apple thought she might try to harm the older agent if he tried to remove her device.

"Artie, there really is no harm in leaving them they can't be set off unknowingly." Artie looked at Apple in shock and confusion.

"Listen to the Deb, Mr. Gor...Artemus. Without the remote control these will not detonate. And I will not do that unless absolutely necessary." Artie studied Pet for a long moment.

"I must be out of my mind but all right. On the condition that I have the remote." He extended his hand to her.

"Fine, no problem." Pet gladly handed him the remote control. Artie regarded her carefully as she walked away headed for the church.

"Blossom, why do I feel I have been had?" Artie sighed.

"Probably because you were. I think Pet wants to trust us she just doesn't trust herself to let her guard down yet. Don't worry we keep working on her we'll win in the end." They hurried to catch up to their stubborn fellow agent.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 20 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000