Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

Artiespet
SS senior field agent

USA
5113 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  11:16:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pet sat in the saloon nursing her whiskey thinking about the mission they had just completed. She was one step closer to her ultimate goal and that put a smile on her face. The fact that she would still be paired with the Deb quickly removed it.

Man, what was Grant thinking? And the flipping mission is over…can‘t Deb be paired with someone else? Pet was deep in thought when a whispered conversation at the next table caught her ear.

“You think we kin pull this off?” One rather unsavory looking character was saying to another rough looking man.

“The boss said all we gots to do is git the President and bring him to his hideout. He’s supposed to be in Apache Junction day after tomorrow ta make the place a city or some such nonsense.”

“How we gonna git ta him?”

“Grant likes ta drink, don’t he? We can get him in the saloon. Theys tons of ways ta git ta him in there. We need one of them whatchama call ems…diversions.”

Pet decided this was something her fellow agents needed to be aware of and she thought of a way to find out more about the boss and the plot. She turned to the men and spoke in low tones.

“That is a conversation you best not have around prying ears, gentlemen.” They glared at her.

“What do you know about anything?” the first one said.

“I know a lot more than you think.” Pet glared back. “And I know you will fail. You need a leader you couldn’t find your way out of a wet paper bag with a hole in both ends.” Pet sneered.

“What makes you think we should listen to what you have to say?” he asked her.

“Simple. I used to work for the man.” Both men stared at her with open mouths.

“Then why would you want him kidnapped?” The man asked warily.

“The man fired me for blowing up a courthouse to save a friend. I could care less what happens to him.” Pet pulled her bottle of whiskey from her table and filled their glasses.

As they talked she learned the first one was called Red Taylor and the other was Zack Rollins. They had been commissioned by none other than Dr. Miguelito Loveless to kidnap Grant and bring him to him so he could experiment on Grant with a new mind controlling drug he had developed. Loveless had told them he wanted it tried out on someone called Mr. West first. Pet’s ears pricked up at this information and knew she would have to get back to her partner with it.

“I think I have enough to get started. What do you say we team up? I want to see Grant suffer and your boss wants him to suffer. Let me handle this and I can guarantee you success and the money Loveless promised you.” The men leaned their heads together in whispered conversation before turning back to her.

“We’ll try this your way. But we gotta find this Mr. West first and get him to the boss.”

“Not a problem I have someone in mind I can put on that right away. You two will be my go between with Dr. Loveless. I don’t need to meet him just yet.”

Pet left them with their instructions to wait at their hotel after they told Loveless they would have Mr. West by tomorrow night. She would contact them there. Pet left to find Apple and fill her in.

Agents! Ya can't live with them. And Admin takes a rather dim view to ya blowing em up.

nittanyapple
SS senior field agent

USA
8570 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  11:32:05  Show Profile  Visit nittanyapple's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When Pet found Apple she was packing her belongings to head out to Denver. She was surprised that her partner had shown up at the hotel she had been staying in, and for a moment thought that Pet had wanted to say goodbye.

Apple realized that she should have known better, because Pet couln't care less about what her partner was up to. "Deb, Loveless is up to his old tricks, out in Apache Junction." Apple turned from her packing at this proclamation from Pet.

"What do you mean? The president is supposed to be there this week for an incorporation ceremony!" Pet was nodding as Apple said the words.

"Yeah, and Loveless knows it. We have to find the others and get word to the higher ups about this. I've already infiltrated the goofs Loveless hired. Runnin' the show, you might say!" Pet sniggered.

"Good. Do you know where anyone else is? We need to send some telegrams..." Apple started making lists in her head of what needed to be done. Pet rolled her eyes at the other agent. "All right, Deb, you get that rollin'. I have to find Mr. West, let him know that he's a target.
Go to Top of Page

Artiespet
SS senior field agent

USA
5113 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  11:40:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pet left Apple's room and headed for the hotel the men were in. She went to their room and told them to follow her. She thought she had found this Mr. West Dr. Loveless wanted them to bring to him. She would make sure it was him and give them a signal. Then they would take him to the Doctor. She left and went down to the street to look for Jim.

Pet walked down the sidewalk watching the man. She approached him quietly and bumped into him pushing him down.

"Hey, Mr. Fancy Pants watch where you're going." Pet snarled as she pulled Jim to his feet.

As she pulled him up she whispered to him...

"Mr. West you need to be on your guard you are about to be kidnapped by Loveless's men but you need to let it happen. He's after Grant."

"Sorry...uh...miss is it?" Jim tried to smile at her.

"Yes it IS miss...buster and just watch where you're walking." Pet stormed off.

She looked across the street and nodded to the men...her signal they had the right man.

The men went across the street and followed Jim until he reached the alley. They pulled him into the alley and subdued him, making their way to the edge of town through the alleys.

Agents! Ya can't live with them. And Admin takes a rather dim view to ya blowing em up.
Go to Top of Page

kitana
SS novice field agent

1578 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2007 :  19:17:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kit had settled into the hotel after the last assignment she was tired. They had found no trace of Col Franklin or his wife. Bosley had found the information clearing Kit of any wrong doings in the library of the Col's house.

She lay on the bed with sigh it would be nice to just rest for a change. She closed her eyes only for a moment then opened them with a moan she rolled off the bed and straightened her hair she left the room and locked it behind her. She went down stairs checked for messages then went to the dining room and ordered a small meal with a nice red wine.

Artie, "Come one step closer and I'll misspell your name!"
Go to Top of Page

blacksheepbrat64
SS novice field agent

USA
1798 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  04:56:20  Show Profile  Visit blacksheepbrat64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bess had packed finished packing for her trip to visit relatives in Charleston. The train didn't leave until late the next day. She went downstairs to eat and saw Kit sitting at a table. She asked if Kit minded any company and Kit invited her to sit down. Bess ordered a meal and another bottle of red wine to celebrate Kit's victory. Bess poured a glass for herself and for Kit.

"I'm so glad we got it worked out, I really tried Kit to exonerate you but that prosecutor had a kangroo court, plus that deranged Midas kidnapped me just before I was to testify," said Bess.

"You did the best you could my friend," replied Kit.

Bess held up her glass and signaled for Kit to do the same.

"To the end of that nightmare," Bess said.
"Yes!!!!" answered Kit.

BSB64
"If you want to keep that peaches and cream complexion, you'd better tell us how to open that elevator!"
Jim to Triste in TN Dr. Loveless Died

Go to Top of Page

nittanyapple
SS senior field agent

USA
8570 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  05:39:30  Show Profile  Visit nittanyapple's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Apple headed to the telegraph office to send missives to Kit, Bess, and Pidgeon, as well as their superior officers. They would need to meet and discuss their options and plan their strategy.

Satisfied that the women would find their charges, Apple completed her packing then headed to Apache Junction, instead of Denver. Once she arrived she found a boarding house, then scoured the town.

Apache Junction was at the base of the Superstition Mountain range, where the Lost Dutchmans'Gold Mine was reported to be. With the incorporation celebration to begin in just a few days, the town was jumping with activity, and miners were rolling in to cash in their findings.

Apple found herself inside Peterson's Mercantile asking for a job. She needed to keep an eye on the community, and with the miners coming and going, this would be the perfect cover.
Go to Top of Page

blacksheepbrat64
SS novice field agent

USA
1798 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  10:46:39  Show Profile  Visit blacksheepbrat64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As Jim walked in the alleyway, he didn't see anybody. Pet and the three men were hidden behind barrels. As soon as West walked by, Pet jumped up and hit him as hard as she could with her pistol. The blow didn't completely knock Jim out, but when he turned over and saw it was Pet, he knew. The three men jumped him and he gave him a run for their money. Men went down and got back up and Jim would put them back down again. He took a barrel and threw it at one and that guy was out for the count. Pet meet Jim's eyes and gave a signal that that was enough he was going to have to go down and stay down. Pet took her pistol and this time hit him has hard as she could on his head twice. West was out. One of the men gave Pet the medicine to inject Jim with to keep him out of it until they could get him to Loveless. One of the men put him in a buckboard wagon and started to covered his body up with a horse blanket. Pet stopped him.

"Hey, that man has all kinds of "toys", I'm sure Loveless told you about now where is it?" asked Pet.

One of the men produced the list. Pet went over and began checking what was on the list. She got his gunbelt and guns first. Then taking off his jacket, got his sleeve derringer. Taking off his boot, she got the knife. She also found plenty of blowie upies in his pockets. She also took the heels off his boots and got the parts to his blow torch. Taking the jacket with her for futher investigation, she told the men she got everything and put it in a sack. But secretly keep the sleeve gun for herself.

The group headed off to take him to Loveless.

BSB64
"If you want to keep that peaches and cream complexion, you'd better tell us how to open that elevator!"

Go to Top of Page

Artiespet
SS senior field agent

USA
5113 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  11:21:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When they arrived at Loveless's lair Pet knew she couldn't risk being seen by him yet...he might remember her from the lightning machine indicent and Jim's life wouldn't be worth a plug nickel. Not that Pet really cared what happened to the agent her partner did and Pet knew she had to play nice for the time being.

"I'll take these weapons back to the hotel for you guys. I don't need to me the doctor yet. Besides it will make you look better to him if he thinks you did this on your own." Pet scooped up Jim's weapons and headed back for the hotel.

The men carried Jim's unconscious body into the building and Loveless directed them to his lab. Jim was tied to a chair and left until he woke up.

"Finally you join me, Mr. West." Loveless smirked at him.

"Dr. Migeulito Loveless...how good to see you again. I'd greet you properly but I seemt o be tied up at the moment." Jim smirked back.

"come now, Mr. West, you know I am not one to stand on ceremony."

"Why don't we cut tot he chase, doctor? What do you want?"

"No witty reparte? Tsk tsk you're slipping, Mr. West. Or is Mr. Gordon the only one in your duo who has the capablility of carrying on a conversation?" Loveless walked over to stand in front of Jim.

"Just tell me what you want Loveless so I can tell you no and get out of here." Jim sighed bored.

"OH you infuriate me sometimes, Mr. West. But no matter. What I want is to try out my new experiment on you. Nothing elaborate really just a simple thing. I discovered a new drug that will allow me to control the mind of whoever I give it to."

"Sounds lovely why don't you try it out on Voltaire or one of your henchmen?"

"Oh no, Mr. West. Their minds are not developed enough. What I require is a more developed mind a mind capable of coherent thought. Your mind, Mr. West, since my minions didn't bring me Mr. Gordon as I would have preferred, you'll do nicely."

Loveless motioned one of the men over and told him how to give Jim the injection. He watched with glee as Jim tried to squirm and struggle but was held fast. The drug raced through his system and Jim could feel his hold on reality slipping.

"Mr. West, do you know who I am?" Loveless asked.

"Yes, you're Dr. Loveless...my boss."

"Good...good. Now what i want you to do is to go back to your fello agent and do your duty. You have been assigned to protect President Grant while he is in Apache Junction for the incorporation ceremony."

"You will help me get Grant alone so I can inject him with my new drug and then I will be in control of the entire country."

"Yes, Dr. Loveless." Jim reply mechanically.

"Take Mr. West back to his hotel and stay close to him. Don't do anything that would attract attention. Hmmm maybe you have one of your gang that can handle this." Loveless looked at the men.

"Uh...yeah boss we do. We got someone real good at that sort of thing."

They took Jim back to his hotel and went in search of Pet.

Go to Top of Page

Artiespet
SS senior field agent

USA
5113 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  11:31:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pet looked up as they entered the saloon. They approached her and she waved them to sit.

"We met with the boss. He wants someone to keep an eye on that agent fellow. Someone who can do the fancy stuff that needs doin."

"Don't worry about that boys, I'll stick so close to Mr. West he'll think I'm inside his head." Pet smiled this assignement just might work out to have some good fringe benefits yet.

Go to Top of Page

Pidgeon
SS novice field agent

2666 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  19:39:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pidge gives her horse a rubdown. As she takes a brush to his beautiful coat, she suddenly becomes sad. She leans her head against him and puts her arm across his neck. Gentle Rider snorts and moves uneasily for a moment. Pidge straightens and pats him understandingly.

"You, too, huh fella?" she says soothingly. Pidge didn't know where she was going to go. She never heard from Colonel Richmond and so wondered if she was going to remain in the service. What good was a school marm anyways? Pet and Kit had their street smarts and could pack a mean wallop, both physically and with munitions. Deb, err, Apple could pack a gun and knew how to use it. She was clever in a deceptive way. Bess. Bess was talented with a gun. She could overpower a man like Midas in more ways than one. (she smiled when she thought of how Midas was outwitted at his own game).

"Any scene can be more freshly and clearly seen when it is seen upside down." G.K. Chesterton
Go to Top of Page

Pidgeon
SS novice field agent

2666 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2007 :  19:53:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As she brushed Gentle Rider, a man with a telegram walked in.

"Miss Sanderson?" he inquired.

"Yes, what is it?"

"Telegram." He handed her the note and waited.

She absentmindedly took out a coin and paid him. She walked around with this note reading.

"Hmmm. Where the heck is Artie?"

She stands there for a minute staring and then breaks out of it. Petting Gentle Rider, she tells him that she'll be back soon.

With that, she goes off in search of Mr. Gordon.

"Any scene can be more freshly and clearly seen when it is seen upside down." G.K. Chesterton
Go to Top of Page

nittanyapple
SS senior field agent

USA
8570 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  06:57:14  Show Profile  Visit nittanyapple's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Peterson's Mercantile is a constant bustle of activity. Mr. Peterson has many miner's coming in to buy supplies, cashing in their gold, and the townspeople purchase their own supplies there as well.

Waiting on customers with a smile on her face, Apple sells sugar, coffee, salt, dried fruit, and the occasional pickle from the big jar on the counter. Mr. Peterson has also made it her job to measure and cut fabric from the bolts that the ladies of the town order for their sewing.

The Mercantile is actually the perfect place to hear the gossip of the town. A group of older men sit around the stove in the rear of the store, chewing the fat, while their women make their purchases. The town incorporation is at the center of all conversation, and the visit of the great general, President Grant, is on all their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

nittanyapple
SS senior field agent

USA
8570 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  09:18:31  Show Profile  Visit nittanyapple's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Well my boy fought in the war. He came home and I know that it was because of General Grant," one of the men was saying. "He has a family in Ohio now, a farm too."

Murmurs from the other men filled the air as Apple waited on Mrs. McCaffrey, a middle aged woman who wanted several yards of a sprig cotton for a summer dress for her small granddaughter. "I am so glad that Mr. Peterson finally agreed to get someone to help him, my dear. The poor man was running himself ragged. Plumb forgot where he keeps his account book the other day. Couldn't take anyones orders down without that."

Apple looked at Mrs. McCaffrey bemusedly as she deftly cut the yellow cotton. "Well, I hope that I can alleviate some of that for him. He shouldn't misplace anything like that again!"

Mrs. McCaffrey continued chatting with Apple while Mr. Peterson went about the business of the mercantile. Every once in a while he would look confused for a minute, and ask a customer to repeat their request. Nothing out of the ordinary for a busy man.
Go to Top of Page

Pidgeon
SS novice field agent

2666 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  11:40:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pidge steps outside of the livery stable and looks up. The sun is shining. Big puffy clouds sleepily grace the sky. The kind that children like to imagine with. An occasional bird flies overhead. A low whistle sounds. Pidge puts her hand out and a bird lands on it. It chirps cheerfully at her and she nods as she strokes his little head.

She lifts her hand up quickly and the bird flies off.

"Off to the train station then." she says to no one in particular.

Go to Top of Page

Pidgeon
SS novice field agent

2666 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  11:56:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pidge arrives at the train station with few minutes to spare. There, sitting on a bench with his paper in hand is a dark-haired man in a brown couderoy jacket. He was reading his paper cross legged while his foot tapped carelessly at nothing.

A turn of the page and a gloved hand covered his eyes.

"Hmmm. Perfume smells familiar. A feminine touch. Hmmm. Delicate and not overpowering." He lifts her hand and presses it to his lips while still keeping his eyes closed.

"Let's see. From my powers of keen observation I would say that this lady is one of breeding. A charitable hand yet one of many surprises." He turns around to see who's hand he is holding.

"Ahhh, yes. Pidge. My sweet. How are you this fine morning?"

Pidge laughs and takes back her hand. "Tell me the truth, now. You didn't know who it was, did you?"

He smiles that charming smile. "But I did have the description correct, did I not? How are you, Pidge? and what brings you here? You didn't come to see me off now, did you?"

"No, Artemus, I didn't. I came to keep you company."

His eyes widen slightly. "Now that's a lovely surprise. And to what do I attribute this gracious turn?"

"Business, unfortunetly, Artie." She shows him the telegram. His eyes narrow as he reads.

"Apache Junction, huh? Are you ready now, Pidge?"

"Yes, Artie. I've had my things ready and sent up here to the train." She shows him her ticket and smiles. "Shall we board?"

Go to Top of Page

blacksheepbrat64
SS novice field agent

USA
1798 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  12:11:11  Show Profile  Visit blacksheepbrat64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bess had just finished dinner with Kit and Kit said she was going to walk around awhile. Bess said no, because she wanted to make sure everything was packed and ready to go to Charleston. Just as she made it to her room Jeremy appeared with a telegram.

"Bess, our vacation has been canceled, we've got a situation in Apache Springs, which we'll discuss on the way." Jeremy told her.

Bess gathered her things and she and Jeremy took the stagecoach to Apache Springs.

BSB64

Go to Top of Page

Pidgeon
SS novice field agent

2666 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  12:44:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pidge and Artie put their heads together on the train and came up with a plan. Realizing that the good doctor already knew the two of them on sight, they concocted a well-thought out disguise.

Alone in their compartment, Artie and Pidge fumbled through their separate luggage until they came up with a suitable masquarade. Laughing, Pidge dons her wig and looks at Artemus. He tucks in her brown locks of hair until all you see is wig. Blonde wig.

"Why, Priscilla, darling. I must say.. you look absolutely ravishing. Ravishing, darling!!"

"Come on, your turn."

"Turn around then. You can't look until I'm finished. Come on, now. Turn."

Pidge smirks slightly but turns obediently and faces the door.

She hears rustling behind her. An occasional "ouch" and/or humming.

"Can I look now?" she asks.

"Almost. Just wait two minutes."

Pidge taps her fingers.

"All right. Now you can look."

Pidge turns and starts laughing.

Go to Top of Page

Pidgeon
SS novice field agent

2666 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  12:53:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is Artemus looking like a very old man. White wig. White mustache. The white wig looks a little shaggy. Longish.

Artie is hamming it up for Pidge. Hunching over a bit. Gumming a little. Bushy eyebrows.

"This is my husband?" Pidge exclaims with a laugh.

"Absolutely, my pretty, and darn lucky you are to have me. You pretty young thing, you. Trophy wife to the great author: Arthur C. Featherstone."

Go to Top of Page

Pidgeon
SS novice field agent

2666 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  13:05:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pidge claps her hands in delight. "You look like you should be someone's grandfather!!"

"Maybe so but I can still get up and dance with the best of them," he says in character. "Ain't all I can do, neither." He gives her a sly wink.

Pidge slaps at his hand and laughs. "Oh, my goodness. A dirty old man, to boot. Don't you beat all. How is this supposed to help us, 'Arthur?' "

Artie slips out of character to answer. "I'm not exactly sure yet either, Pidge. We have to be able to mingle with people and be ready to explain what we're doing." He pats her hand. "Part of the game is playing it by ear, Pidge. Just play it by ear."

Go to Top of Page

Pidgeon
SS novice field agent

2666 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  13:42:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Pidge, whatever happened to Bosley?"

Pidge looked out the window before she answered. "Artie, he went back to Washington. Strange fellow. Said something about going into politics. Maybe running for President some day." she shook her head and laughed. "Isn't that kick? Him running for President?"

Go to Top of Page

nittanyapple
SS senior field agent

USA
8570 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  15:50:12  Show Profile  Visit nittanyapple's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Humming happily to herself as she put away bolts of fabric, Apple is surprised to hear Pet's voice behind her. She was talking to the proprietor of the mercantile about gunpowder.

"You know old man, the black stuff that catches fire...EXPLODES?!" she was cross, as was the usual behavior for Apple's partner. Her withdrawal symptoms had abated, but her attitude had not changed.

"May I help, Mr. Peterson?" Apple said softly to the agitated man. He seemed strange, but since Apple did not know him well, she wasn't sure if this was normal or not.

"This here lady wants some exploding powder. Can't say as that I know what she is talking about." He was definitely confused. Apple pointed to the small kegs behind the counter where he stood. "I believe this is what she is referring to, Mr. Peterson." Pet rolled her eyes.

Recognition dawned in Mr. Peterson's eyes, "Oh that! Of course, where is my mind today?" He chuckled as he filled Pet's order and wrote it in his account journal. The two women made eye contact. Just then the bells on the front door of the establishment jangled and the three looked over to see the town doctor enter.
Go to Top of Page

Pidgeon
SS novice field agent

2666 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  16:10:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pidge and Artie sit in silence and watch the scenery out the window go by for several minutes. They are both troubled. Pidge taps her fingers nervously as she sits and thinks. Something is not right. What is it? Artie looks intently out the window. He is having the same thoughts. Something about this set-up is not clicking and when the set-up doesn't click...the whole assignment is in danger.

"Pidge, I'm having second thoughts on this."
"Artie, something just doesn't seem right with this."

They both spoke at the same time and then stopped. Looked at each other and laughed.

Artie motions to Pidge, "No, Pidge, please. You first."

Pidge takes a deep breath and starts to speak. "Artie. No one is going to buy me as a trophy wife for an old author. Especially one that no one around here has ever heard of. I just don't see it happening."

She waits for his response. He nods his head in total agreement.

"Exactly what I was thinking. It just didn't feel right. No. No. Not a trophy wife." He shakes his finger in thought. And then suddenly the light dawns on him. "Not a wife but a granddaughter! That would work. And not just any granddaughter." He rummages through his suitcase and comes up with another prop.

"Here. Try this." He places dark glasses on her. "You're blind, Pidge."

Pidge smiles and moves her head with her eyes closed, trying out the idea. "I've got to practice this."

Artie takes a set of blinders that people wear to bed and puts them on Pidge. "There. This should do for practice. Can you see now?"

"Not a thing."

"Good." He throws his hat at her. It hits her across the face and falls to the floor.

"Ow. What was that?" She rubs her cheek.

"Oh. Nothing. You passed the test. Now remember that if someone else gets the same idea to test you." He picks up his hat and comes closer. He pulls her hand away from her cheek and brushes it with his lips gently. "There. That better?"

Pidge laughs. "Thanks, Grandpa. All better now."

Artemus smirks.

Go to Top of Page

Pidgeon
SS novice field agent

2666 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  16:11:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OOC: Hey Pet! neener neener.

(runs and hides behind Jeremy)

Go to Top of Page

blacksheepbrat64
SS novice field agent

USA
1798 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  18:35:13  Show Profile  Visit blacksheepbrat64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Since they were the only ones in the coach and the driver was one of Col Richmond's aides, Bess and Jeremy were able to talk freely. They read the dossier on their covers. Bess was to be the doctor's new nurse coming to town. Bess was glad of her nurse's training under Kit during the war. Bess's alias was Elizabeth Maynor. Jeremy was to be her brother, a chemist named, Geoffrey Maynor. They passed a sign welcoming them to the town of Apache Springs. The carriage drove them straight to the doctors office. The sign proclaimed it to be the home of Doctor Scott McClatchey. Bess and Jeremy donned eyeglasses to make themselves look "bookish and smart", but they really looked like older school teachers. They waved the carriage away and taking their bags with them, they knocked on the door.

BSB64

Go to Top of Page

kitana
SS novice field agent

1578 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2007 :  18:37:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kit was walking around town trying to calm herself she finally headed back to the hotel she stopped at the front desk and picked up her message. It was from Apple she read it folding it up she placed it in her pocket.

She went to Jim's Room and nocked on the door he answered a bit groggy. "Yes?"

"Jim we have to go to Apache Springs Dr. Loveless is up to his old tricks."

Jim nodded "I'll get my things and meet you at the stables."

"Ok" He turned and she left Jim seemed a bit out of it but perhaps she had just woken him it was a bit late.

Kit gathered her things thankfully she carried veryfew things just her Dr bag and one change of clothes. She meet Jim in the stable and he was just standing there as if lost.

"Jim?"

"huh?"

"Should we saddle the horses?"

"Oh yes, your right."

Kit made a mental note to keep an eye on Mr. West

Go to Top of Page

nittanyapple
SS senior field agent

USA
8570 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2007 :  06:36:41  Show Profile  Visit nittanyapple's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Doc McClatchey! How are you this fine day?" exclaimed Mr. Peterson when he entered the mercantile. The store owner bustled over to shake the doctor's hand, then pulled him further into the store to introduce him to Apple.

"Doc, this here is Apple Byrne. She recently moved to Apache Junction, and saw my help wanted sign." Apple extended her hand to Dr. McClatchey. "How do you do?" She flashed a bright smile at him. Pet, who was still standing at the counter, snorted at her partners niceties.

Ignoring her, Apple struck up a conversation about her home with the doctor, and what had brought her to Apache Junction. "I'm from Texas originally, and eventually want to get to California. San Francisco is where I want to end up. Working for Mr. Peterson will help me save enough money to get there."

The conversation lasted a few more minutes, with the doctor watching Mr. Peterson out of the corner of his eye. He watched Peterson deal with Pet, noticing his confusion. Apple realized that Dr. McClatchey was probably treating her boss for something. She would have to question him about it later, so that she knew what to expect.

"Well, Miss Byrne, it has been an intense pleasure," he said, his hat in hand. He nodded to Peterson, as well as Pet, then left the store.

"Miss Byrne, I didn't know you were new in town. Thought you had been established..." Pet started.

"Please, call me Apple. And your name?" Apple interrupted.

"Pet. Just call me Pet. Nice to meet you," she seemed to overcompensate as she said it, as though it were too hard to say. At least they had established a connection so that they would not be noticed if they were talking.

Pet picked up her purchases and left the mercantile.
Go to Top of Page

nittanyapple
SS senior field agent

USA
8570 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2007 :  08:17:43  Show Profile  Visit nittanyapple's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Later in the day Apple was returning to her boarding house when she saw Dr. McClatchy walking ahead of her. "Dr. McClatchy, doctor!" she called out as she hurried down the wooden walkway. "Please wait."

Scott McClatchy turned at the sound of his name. Recognition dawned on his face as he looked at Apple. "Miss Byrne," he smiled. "What can I do for you?" He doffed his hat Apple caught up with him.

"Thank you for waiting, doctor. I wanted to ask you about Mr. Peterson. His memory seems to be failing. Even though I haven't known him for long, others have pointed out that he gets confused."

The doctors stomach lurched at Apples question, but he showed no outward sign of his nervousness. "Oh?" was all he said.

Apple had expected more of an answer than this, "Yes...are you treating him for anything?"

Doctor McClatchy thought quickly, "Miss Byrne, he is fine, I assure you. He actually was hit over the head and knocked unconscious recently, by thieves. It was a traumatic event of which he has no recollection." He smiled at Apple's concern, and at his deception. "You could help me to keep an eye on him. That is why I stopped in earlier, to monitor him.

"I could tell that you were watching him intently, that is why I knew to speak with you," Apple returned his smile, "that, and you didn't purchase anything."

Laughing, Scott McClatchy said, "Miss Byrne you have an eye for detail!" His next question surprised Apple, "Would you have dinner with me, Miss Byrne?"

Although surprised, Apple said yes. She felt that there was more to Mr. Peterson's condition than the doctor was telling her, and she wanted to find out what it was. They agreed to meet at the restaurant in town at 7pm that evening.
Go to Top of Page

blacksheepbrat64
SS novice field agent

USA
1798 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2007 :  19:53:24  Show Profile  Visit blacksheepbrat64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When Bess knocked on the door, an older woman answered. She looked at Bess and Jeremy, irritated.

"Yes?!" said the woman.
Bess started the conversation first.
"I'm Elizabeth Maynor, Dr. Mclatchey's nurse and this is my brother Geoff Maynor."
The woman looked at Jeremy and her face broke into a big smile.
"They didn't mention anything about your brother, but do come in, please forgive my manners, I'm Victoria McClatchey, the doctors sister and I run the household and office. Please come in."
Bess and Jeremy walked in the house.

"Its alright though about your brother Miss Maynor," Victoria said, "We have plenty of room, let me show you to your rooms."

Victoria showed them to their rooms and informed them dinner would be served at seven.

Bess and Jeremy went to their rooms and unpacked. They also cased the rooms and discovered the closet in Bess's room tunneled into Jeremy's.

They headed back downstairs and waited for Doctor McClatchey's return.

BSB64

Go to Top of Page

blacksheepbrat64
SS novice field agent

USA
1798 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2007 :  20:10:43  Show Profile  Visit blacksheepbrat64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
An hour later, Doctor Scott McClatchey entered his home. Victoria introduced Elizabeth and Geoff to him. When she mentioned dinner, Scott spoke up.

"Victoria, I have a previous engagement, Elizabeth and Geoff do forgive me, I will see you both in the morning. Breakfast is at 7:00 here. I'm so glad you were able to bring your chemist brother, Elizabeth, I have the perfect job for him."

Everybody headed back to their repective rooms, to change for dinner.

Victoria caught her brother as he headed for his room.
"Am I ever glad she brought a brother, I may not be an old maid much longer." She whispered to Scott.

Scott just rolled his eyes and went to prepare for his date with Apple.

BSB64

Go to Top of Page

kitana
SS novice field agent

1578 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2007 :  18:43:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kit and Jim roade into town in silence they each took a room at the hotel. Kit settled in to her room and washed the trail dust from her face she was not sure what her role was in this mission but she knew to stick close to Jim. She meet him bout an hour later and they went to familierize themselves with the town.

Go to Top of Page

blacksheepbrat64
SS novice field agent

USA
1798 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2007 :  19:53:36  Show Profile  Visit blacksheepbrat64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It was all Bess could do to keep from laughing through dinner. Victoria was shamelessly flirting with Jeremy, it was so obvious. After dinner, they retired to the parlor. Victoria invited Jeremy to show him the sights of the town. Bess started to bid goodnight to the couple and Jeremy grabbed her arm.

"Victoria, my dear," Jeremy said, "I cannot leave my sister, she either goes or I will have to stay."
Victoria looked at Bess very irritated, while Jeremy pinched Bess's arm to respond.
"I'll be happy to join you," Bess said through her gritted teeth.

Jeremy put an arm out for each lady and they took it. The trio began to walk through the town.

BSB64

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000