Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

Artiespet
SS senior field agent

USA
5113 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2007 :  14:06:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
“What’s his room number?” Pet asked the clerk.

“Room 7 upstairs and to the…” he let the sentence trail off as Pet was already gone.

Artie and Apple rushed to catch up to her. That woman just never stops! Artie thought as he took the stairs two at a time.

Pet didn’t even bother to stop and knock on the door when she reached number 7. She threw herself at the door and burst through. The small occupant was surprised by the sudden intrusion and had no time to find a place to hide.

Pet rushed in and grabbed him by the lapels and held him off the floor and up to her eye level. She glared at him when he smiled back at her.

“Well, well, well, agent Pet how nice to see you again. You really should have knocked bursting in like that is so unladylike.” Loveless smirked.

“Yeah, well apparently you haven’t heard…I’m not your average lady.” Pet snapped.

“But the customary pleasantries must be…” he began only to get cut off.

“Can the pleasantries, Loveless. We don’t have time for this.”

Apple moved to stand beside the window keeping her eyes open for Voltaire’s return.

“Mr. Gordon have you forgotten to explain our rules to your agents?” Loveless tried to look at Artie.

“Well Dr. Loveless,” Artie tugged on his ear, “what can I say…Pet is well Pet. She kind of lives by her own rules especially when she doesn’t like her opponents.” Artie smirked.

“I don’t believe in playing games when a simple question and answer will suffice.” Pet placed Loveless on the top of the desk but didn’t release her hold.

“Now, I have some questions and not a lot of time. Are you going to answer my questions or do I get to turn you into a sieve?”

“Mr. Gordon surely she can’t be serious!” Loveless looked at him fearfully.

“Oh she’s quite serious. I’d answer any question she asks you if I were you.” Artie waved toward Pet as he took a seat to watch the floorshow.

“Where is Kitana Montgomery? What have you done with her?” Pet asked her patience wearing thin.

Agents! Ya can't live with them. And Admin takes a rather dim view to ya blowing em up.
Go to Top of Page

kitana
SS novice field agent

1578 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2007 :  14:12:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thomas arrived back at the House with the Doctor and his nurse. The old woman showed them to where Kit was as and left them alone while she began to prepare dinner about an hour later the Doctor came out and was wiping his hands off. He looked at the old woman and spoke “Mrs Wilson, The young woman had a sever shoulder wound it has gotten infected and she is running a fever, I would take her back to Brownsville but the move could kill her. I will leave my nurse here and if Thomas will follow me back I’ll send back some supplies and some food.”

The old woman nodded “Would you like something to eat before you get back?”
“No thank you ma’am I will check back in a few days.”

He put on his jacket and hat, picking up he bag he followed Thomas out and once back in town he gave the supplies to Thomas and some extra supplies for his family. They had done a good turn to that strange woman and for what the widow Wilson had gone through it was the least he could do.

Artie, "Come one step closer and I'll misspell your name!"
Go to Top of Page

nittanyapple
SS senior field agent

USA
8570 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2007 :  14:59:31  Show Profile  Visit nittanyapple's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Apple continued to watch through the curtains for Voltaire to return. Suddenly she saw him, his large frame too much for the delicate fabric the dress was made of, the haute coutre hat towering above the heads of the men that he passed. Surprisingly the townspeople that he passed did not seem surprised by the size of the woman, or the way she loped along, very unladylike.

"Artemus," she indicated the window. He rose and glanced out surreptitiously in the direction she had indicated. He let out a whistle. "THAT'S Voltaire?" He whispered to her.

"Who else COULD it be?" Her whispered comment was sarcastic and she rolled her eyes. Arte pursed his lips as he glanced at Apple, then he turned back to Loveless and Pet.
Go to Top of Page

Artiespet
SS senior field agent

USA
5113 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2007 :  15:03:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
“You mean to tell me you didn’t tell her, Mr. Gordon? I’m shocked.” Loveless looked from Pet to Artie smiling wickedly.

“Tell me what?” Pet turned to Artie without releasing her hold on the little man.

“I have no idea what he’s talking about.” At Pet’s persistent glare he added “HONEST!”

“Oh come now, my dear Artemus. Surely you haven’t forgotten what happened in my lair.” Loveless eagerly watched the glances like bullets in a firefight going between Pet and Artie.

“Loveless shut up! You should know your own drugs before you use them on people. I have virtually no memory of that time. Why don’t you save yourself the trouble of having Pet tear you limb from limb and just tell us?” Artie snapped at him.

“Oh very well. This should be interesting to say the least.” Loveless looked Pet in the eye before he continued.

“While Mr. Gordon thought he was your President I decided to have a little fun with him.” Loveless giggled, “I made him think your precious friend was his wife. When Mr. Gordon refused to sign this territory over to me it made me mad!”

“Just skip to the part about my…our friend.” Pet shook him.

“I’m getting there…really Mr. Gordon you do need to teach your recruits the finer points of playing by the rules.”

“That particular agent isn’t all that fond of rules, Loveless.”

“So I see. Anyway where was I? Oh yes, I decided to teach Mr. Gordon here a lesson. I shot Miss Montgomery and had her body disposed of by a young man here in town. I guess you could say it is Mr. Gordon’s fault your friend is dead.” Loveless smiled broadly at what he thought was the probable outcome.

Pet stared at the man in her clutches long and hard. She gripped his jacket so tightly her knuckles had turned white. Wordlessly she released her hold on Loveless not paying attention as he fell to the table and advanced on Artemus.

Trying to keep her anger in check, Pet grasped Artie by the front of his suit coat. Artie returned her glare of hatred with one of fear. He had never seen anyone so outraged before.

“Pet, stop this!” He pleaded with her, “I was drugged you know that. I would never do anything to hurt a fellow agent.” Artie tried to backpedal but was held firmly in her grasp.

“Say what you want, Gordon it won’t help. YOU are responsible for whatever happened to Kit.”

Pet’s ire finally came to fruition all the days, weeks, months and possibly years of pent up anger and frustration came flooding out like a bursting dam. She threw her stunned superior against a wall and began to pound him with her fists. Artie barely had time to get one hand in to block some of the blows before Pet was pummeling him again. Apple stepped in just as Pet made a noise that sounded like a growl.

Agents! Ya can't live with them. And Admin takes a rather dim view to ya blowing em up.
Go to Top of Page

kitana
SS novice field agent

1578 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2007 :  15:45:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thomas returned well past dark and his mother was stoking the fire. She smiled as he lay the supplies on the table and she went to inform Nurse Miller that Thomas had returned.
The young nurse came out and quickly reterived what she needed and thank the Widow Wilson for her hospitality. Sometime in the night Kit awoke the fever getting higher she mumbled something and Nurse Miller leaned in to try and listen. This young woman must be cracked she was talking about the President, and Agents of the SS she would have the Doctor send a Wire to the Mental Hospital in Apachee Junction to see if they were missing any patients. She kept the cold compresses on Kit and gave the peniciallin as instructed by Doctor Johnston.

Go to Top of Page

nittanyapple
SS senior field agent

USA
8570 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2007 :  10:08:46  Show Profile  Visit nittanyapple's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"PET!" Apple yelled out, "Are you out of your mind? He is your superior!" She struggled to pull Pet away from Artemus. "Pet! It isn't Arte's fault! C'mon now, Voltaire is on his way back, you have to stop this nonsense!"

At the mention of the gargantuan Pet was finally persuaded to step away from Artemus. She was still seething with anger, however. Arte rubbed his shoulder where Pet had placed more than one well aimed fist, and his eye was starting to turn a gruesome shade of purple.

"Pet, we can talk about this later, right now we need to take care of the business at hand." Artemus was angry, but he knew that the anger that had possessed Pet to tear into him had a strong hold over her.

Pet said nothing but stood there clenching her fists, not looking at anyone. Apple had her by the arm and Pet roughly pulled away when she finally felt her partner's hand there.

Loveless watched this unfold with keen interest, a smile playing across his mouth. He started to speak when the door was thrown open and Voltaire stood there in all his finery, a towering damsel with blond wig slightly askew, organdy gown slightly too short which showed off his entirely too large feet. The agents were aghast to see him up close.
Go to Top of Page

Artiespet
SS senior field agent

USA
5113 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2007 :  17:08:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
“Voltaire! Quickly take care of these meddling agents!” Loveless shouted trying to take advantage of their surprise.

Looking around the first figure Voltaire recognized was Artemus. Hooking one large hand around his neck Voltaire grasped him and pulled Artie toward him. Apple, seeing that Loveless was going to try to make an escape, stood between the door and the doctor blocking any chance he might have to get to freedom.

Pet watched as Voltaire continued the beating she had started. Her anger was still boiling and she wasn’t sure she should step in to try to help the older agent. Pet watched as Artie put a hand up and struck Voltaire in the chest the blow merely bouncing off. Artemus was quickly weakening not having had enough time to even catch his breath between fights.

“Pet! No matter how much you dislike Artemus you have to help him! He didn’t bring this on himself you know.” Apple said trying to startle Pet out of her trance. Pet shook her head, sighed and stepped toward the fray.

“Fine, I’ll help the clo…man. But I will finish what I started earlier.” Pet glared at her partner as she pulled the senior agent from Voltaire’s vice-like grip and threw him to the side.

Voltaire stared at her angrily, upset that his fun had been ruined. But unlike others Voltaire had no qualms when it came to fighting ladies, especially this one. He had heard the doctor talk about her and all Voltaire knew was that if she ever got her hands on his boss she would be the one to harm him.

He raised his arm to bring it crashing down on her when something hit him driving the air from his lungs. Voltaire looked down to see Pet using the heels of her hands as a battering ram and pushing him backward toward the wall. Once she had him pinned against the wall, Pet began to drive her fists into his chest repeatedly.

Apple grabbed Dr. Loveless and was holding him tight watching the fracas when the door to the room opened abruptly and the clerk entered. Apple told him to go and bring the sheriff and the clerk ran back out of the room.

Voltaire managed to free one arm and used it to hit Pet in the back just above her wound. Her face twisted for an instant into a mask of pain and Artie’s eyes widened when he saw a crimson stain begin to form. Pet closed her eyes and Voltaire stopped his rein of blows thinking he had won.

Pet took several deep breaths and without opening her eyes, clasped her hands together and used them like a club hitting Voltaire’s chin snapping his head back. She quickly pulled her arms back down and hit him with all her strength in his stomach and twisted her fists.

Voltaire merely looked at her with shock and surprise on his face. When Pet pulled away Voltaire’s eyes rolled upward and he collapsed onto the floor. The Sheriff and his deputies burst into the room and took in the scene. Apple quickly explained who they were and the Sheriff had his men subdue the giant.

“Right on time Sheriff, the hard work has been done for you.” Pet panted as she sat on the bed.

Go to Top of Page

nittanyapple
SS senior field agent

USA
8570 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2007 :  17:29:40  Show Profile  Visit nittanyapple's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The sherriff handcuffed the unconscious Voltaire while Artemus handcuffed Loveless. Arte then took Apple aside.

"Blossom, Pet's wound is open and bleeding," he said in a low whisper as he glanced in Pet's direction. "Do what you can to get it taken care of while I accompany the sherriff with these two." He gave Loveless a dark look, which the mad doctor returned.

"I'll do whatever it takes Artemus," Apple was determined to at least try to get to the bottom of this escapade.

A deputy dispatched by the hotel clerk arrived to help the sherriff lift Voltaire to his feet and drag him to the jail while Artemus hauled Loveless along, looking like the screaming, deranged criminal that he was.

Pet was a dejected limp figure of herself when Apple turned to look at her. She shut the door quietly and stepped across the room toward her partner. The other woman was pale, the loss of blood taking it's toll on her.

"Deb, don' say anythin', 'k?" Pet's words were slurred. Just as Apple reached out to steady her, Pet slumped into her partner's waiting arms.
Go to Top of Page

nittanyapple
SS senior field agent

USA
8570 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2007 :  17:56:05  Show Profile  Visit nittanyapple's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jeremy was waiting at the Sherriff's office. He had been dispatched from Apache Junction to Wesleyville when the agents had telegraphed what direction they were headed. Arte apprised him of the situation and told Jeremy that he was returning to the hotel to help Apple with Pet.

Blood was the first thing Artemus saw upon entering the room. Apple had put the unconscious Pet on the floor and turned her over to staunch the bleeding. "My God," Arte said as he quickly closed the door and crossed the room to the women. "Have you been able to get it stopped?" His hand pressed over Apple's as she held a folded pillowcase to the wound.

"I think so," Apple slowly removed her hand in order to keep the pressure of Arte's hand steady. She breathed in deep and seemed to relax after she let go. "Doctor." She looked up into Arte's brown eyes as she said the word.

Artemus scooped Pet into his arms, Apple opened the door and the two of them rushed down the corridor to the stairway leading to the lobby. Hotel guests gasped at the sight of the disheveled man carrying the unconscious woman while another woman covered in blood followed.
Go to Top of Page

kitana
SS novice field agent

1578 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2007 :  07:55:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jeremy looked at Loveless as the mad man ranted and raved they had secured Voltire with a heavy chain in another cell.
Jeremy glared at Loveless as he spoke "We discovered Patrice shortly after they left to find you. You almost had us fooled but thankfully Pet new better."

Loveless looked at Jeremy "It does you no good you know, She is Dead your Agent Montgomery and your Mr. Gordon watched her die and did nothing."

Jeremy stepped forward toward the cell "That is not true. Artemus would not willing watch someone die"
Pidge had been watching the exchange quietly and lay a hand on Jeremy's shoulder. She glared at Loveless.

Go to Top of Page

kitana
SS novice field agent

1578 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  08:24:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Widow Wilson walked into the room with Kitand the nurse turned from hr duties.
"How is she?"

"She will sleep for awhile, had a bit of trouble out of her earlier but the sedetives have kicked in now. She was mumbling something about being chased."

Widow Wilson nodded and went to talk to Thomas she told him to take the coffin back where he had found it and the wagon and leave them. He started to argue but relented he mother had always known what was right. Thomas did as instructed and the coverd the tracks back to the house.

Kit slept on but it was a fitfull sleep until her body finally gave in to the seditive and then all was quiet. The Nurse had done all she could it was up to Kit now.

Go to Top of Page

nittanyapple
SS senior field agent

USA
8570 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  11:09:56  Show Profile  Visit nittanyapple's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Two horsemen rode into Wesleyville, slowing as they approached the jail. Looking around as he dismounted the first noticed two people hurrying across the main thoroughfare. No, it was three people...he realized that the third person was injured and that they were heading to the doctor's office.

Quickly James followed, telling Bess to head inside the sherriff's office while he followed his partner and the other two agents.

When he entered the office the doctor was already ushering Arte into an examining room. He placed Pet on the table and made room for the doctor to examine her. As he did so he saw his partner waiting outside the small room.

"Jim! When did you get into town?" Arte asked as Apple turned toward Jim. She nodded a greeting, then turned her attention to her own partner and the doctor.

"Just now. Bess is at the Sherriff's office and I saw you three on your way over here. What happened?" Jim noticed the bruising that had started on Arte's face.

"You won't believe it if I tell you," Arte shook his head, "just suffice it to say that Pet's wound isn't quite healed. It re-opened and she has lost a lot of blood."

"Let me know how she is, ok? Now tell me how you got those bruises."
Go to Top of Page

Artiespet
SS senior field agent

USA
5113 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  11:29:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Artemus tugged at his ear, clearly embarrassed. Jim cocked his head, "Arte?"

When Artie didn’t immediately respond Jim cocked his head, “Artie?” Artemus tugged at his ear, clearly embarrassed. Jim shifted his weight from side to side and folded his arms across his chest. This ought to be good, Jim thought sensing his friends embarrassment.

“Well…Pet found Loveless and in the course of their conversation the good doctor told her that he killed Kit and explained to her how it was all my fault.” Artie continued to tug at his ear.

“Artie, if you pull any harder that ear will come off.” Jim chuckled. “That doesn’t explain the bruises and that lip.”

“Aw Jim…Pet’s a girl and well I just couldn’t bring myself to hit her back. Heck, I could barely block her! She packs quiet a wallop for a lady.” Artie blushed with embarrassment.

“You mean to tell me PET did this to you? Oh partner you really do need to brush up on your lady skills.”

“Hey, in my defense she is quite different from most ladies. And, Jim I have never seen anyone so angry before. I think when she’s better I need to have a talk with her.”

Go to Top of Page

nittanyapple
SS senior field agent

USA
8570 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  12:44:28  Show Profile  Visit nittanyapple's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Apple stood by while the doctor examined Pet. "Whoever stitched this up did an excellent job, but it seems that the lady has overexerted herself."

"She tends to do that, yes," Apple said softly. "She doesn't take orders very well from doctors, especially when their orders affect her work."

"Well her work will be affected if she doesn't follow orders." The doctor replied. He soon finished restitching the wound. As he covered it with a bandage he looked up at the woman covered in her partner's blood.

"You should clean up. There is a basin and pitcher there," he nodded to the corner. Apple looked at her hands for the first time. They were sticky with the crusted crimson substance. Slowly she poured the water into the bowl, submerged her hands, then picked up the lye soap. The water quickly turned from clear to a murky brownish color. Apple picked up a towel and dried her hands then turned back to the doctor.

"This dressing should be changed twice a day for the first three days, then once a day should be fine. Infection could set in and she would be in danger of gangrene."

"Of course, doctor," Apple was still very quiet. The doctor had given her some pain relieving powders for her partner, which she pocketed.

"I have to check on the gentleman who brought her in, please excuse me," he said as he stepped through the door and closed it.

"Pet, what on earth possessed you to lay into Artemus like that?" Apple whispered. "You have too many secrets for your own good, and they are holding you hostage." Apple sighed and sunk down onto a chair that was sitting next to the examining table.
Go to Top of Page

Artiespet
SS senior field agent

USA
5113 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  12:55:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As the doctor looked Artemus over he tried in vain to find out what happened. It seemed the man wouldn’t be forthcoming with any details.

"Thank you Dr. Mathers, I'm fine, I assure you," Artemus told the doctor as he examined the contusions on Arte's face. "Comes with territory, I'm afraid." He smiled that convincing smile of his.

Dr. Mathers looked him in the eye. "Mr. Gordon, examining contusions is as much a part of my job as acquiring them seems to be a part of yours."

"Yes, sir." The doctor left Artie to put his shirt back on while he went outside the room to talk to his partner.

“Your friend there wasn’t very talkative. Do you know what happened to those two?”
“Doctor, all I can say is that it happened in the line of duty.” Jim lied trying not to snicker as his partner emerged from the exam room looking more like an ad for an insurance company than his partner.

Go to Top of Page

Artiespet
SS senior field agent

USA
5113 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2008 :  13:08:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Artie and Jim headed for Pet’s room and Jim stole a glance at his partner. Artie showed no signs of emotion save for the slight twitch in his jaw. They quietly entered the room and softly closed the door. Artie looked from the bed to the chair beside it.

“Blossom, you should get some rest. It’s been a trying day.” He placed his hand on her shoulder in comforting gesture.

“I’ll be all right, Artemus.” Apple replied quietly. Not believing her Artemus spoke softly.

“I’ll stay with her you need some rest. You can only do so much for your partner and right now you both need rest. I think Pet will want to talk to you when she wakes and wouldn’t you like to be coherent enough to understand her?” Artie smiled.

“You always did have a way with words, Artemus.” Apple rolled her eyes at him. “But you do have a point. I’ll be in the next room if she wakes please come get me.” Apple looked at her partner one more time before quietly leaving.

“Of course.” Artie replied.

Go to Top of Page

nittanyapple
SS senior field agent

USA
8570 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2008 :  06:58:14  Show Profile  Visit nittanyapple's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After closing the door behind Apple, Jim turned his attention to Pet. She was lying still, breathing deeply. That was a good sign. He joined Arte at the window, the two of them speaking quietly.

"Why did she do this, Arte? What would make her attack you?" Arte shook his head, perplexed.

"It was in reaction to Loveless telling her that I had stood by while he shot Kit. Her loyalty to her friend, I assume." He continued to stare out the window, trying to gleen meaning from the incidents of the day.

"Pretty strong reaction for a trained agent, don't you think? Asking no questions?" Jim pondered.

Arte glanced up, "This question, coming from YOU?" It was an amusing observation and though they both smiled, neither laughed.

Presently both men sat, waiting for a sign that Pet would wake. It came about an hour later when she began to stir.

"Pet? Can you hear me?" Jim looked down at her, watching for a sign that indicated that she could. Eventually, as Jim repeated her name, Pet's eyes began fluttering.

"Arte, she's trying to come around." Artemus came to stand beside Jim.

"Pet, can you hear me?" Jim asked again. Her eyes came fully open and she stared at him, then her eyes moved to Artemus. She closed her eyes again, and turned her head away.

"I hear you just fine. Now that you've had your answer, can you go?

Both gentlemen cracked a smile. Pet was herself.
Go to Top of Page

Artiespet
SS senior field agent

USA
5113 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2008 :  12:51:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Artie slipped from the room and went to the next room to get Apple. He found her sitting quietly in a chair staring out the window.

“Apple, you wanted us to let you know when Pet woke up. Jim’s sitting with her now. She just came around.” Artie spoke softly.

Apple didn’t seem to notice he had spoken to her. Artie took in her appearance and approached her quietly.

“Apple? Blossom? Are you all right?” Artie put his hand on her shoulder causing her jump.

“I’m sorry, Artemus. My mind was elsewhere. What did you want?” Apple looked at him her quiet green eyes showing her troubles. Artie sat beside her and put an arm around her.

“Blossom, are you all right? This case has spiraled out of control and we are all beginning to feel it. I know you said to come get you when Pet woke but would you rather go get something to eat and take a break from all this?” Apple looked at him her eyes widening.

“Pet’s awake? No, I think my place is with my partner right now but thank you for the invitation, Artemus.” Apple rose and accompanied Artie to the door.

“Are you coming as well?” She asked him.

“I’m not sure that would be a good idea. With Pet awake now…” Artie rubbed his bruised and banged shoulder.

“I think you need to Artie. We need to find out once and for all what this was really about.”

Go to Top of Page

nittanyapple
SS senior field agent

USA
8570 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2008 :  14:26:25  Show Profile  Visit nittanyapple's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Arte took Apple by the hand and the two walked into Pet's room together. James moved aside to give her room next to her partner.

Pet groaned. "Sure, they don't leave, and they bring the deb in to boot." She turned her head to the wall.

"Pet please don't be that way," Apple implored of her partner. "You need to tell us what that was about today, attacking Artemus like that."

Pet didn't reply, just sighed and rolled her eyes.

Go to Top of Page

kitana
SS novice field agent

1578 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2008 :  17:17:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kit awoke into the night her fever had finally broken and she looked at the young nurse.
Nurse Miller smiled at her and spoke “Here have some water.” she helped Kit drink it “You scared us miss... What is your name?”

Kit looked at her “I don't know, I am sorry.” she said hoarsly

“It will come to you... you just rest now you need sleep.”

Kit nodded and drifted off to sleep weird dreams troubled her sleep but she didn't wake from them.

Nurse Miller stepped out and walked toward the coffee sat next to the fireplace she poured a cup and went back into Kit's room her charge was doing well she could rest for a bit.

Go to Top of Page

nittanyapple
SS senior field agent

USA
8570 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  11:56:06  Show Profile  Visit nittanyapple's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pet didn't respond. Her mind was reeling. Why had she attacked Mr. Gordon? Deep down she knew, but she wasn't ready to admit it to herself, let alone Apple and their two superior officers.

"I dunno," she finally mumbled. Yeah Pet, that'll stop 'em in their tracks she thought wryly.

"You...?" Apple started, then she grimaced and closed her eyes. Sighing, she began again, "Pet, you must know. Why..." She stopped again, pinching her eyes closed. This is going nowhere, so I may as well stop now.

"Ok, Pet. Have it your way. Get some rest, all right?" Apple turned on her heel and almost stomped from the small exam room. Arte and Jim quickly told Pet to get well, then followed Apple.

Jim caught up to her first, with Artemus close behind. "Are you all right?"

Apple stopped walking, but didn't turn to look at Jim. Her gaze was fixed on the wooden planking beneath her feet, her arms crossed in front of her. "Jim, I don't know how to be a good partner to a person who doesn't want a partner." She walked on as Jim and Artemus looked at each other, then followed her to the hotel.
Go to Top of Page

kitana
SS novice field agent

1578 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2008 :  17:39:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kit awoke the next day and sat up. Nurse Miller came into the room with a bowl “You need to eat something.”

“I am hungry.”

“Good, do you remember your name yet?”

Kit Shook her head no

“Thats OK don't rush things.”

Widow Wilson came in and looked at Kit “I hope the soup is to your liking.”

“yes Ma'am”

“So young lady what is your name”

“I don't know ma'am”

The Widow smiled at Kit “its OK hun, I tell you what I'll give you my Mother's name for now She was know as Lena, and my name is Widow Wilson.”

“Nice to meet you ma'am and thank you for the use of the name.”

“Well you just rest and get better.”

She nodded to Nurse Miller and left the room Kit Looked at her.
“Why is she being so nice to a total stranger”
“Widow has always been that way.”

“Well I hope to repay her.”

“Just get better Doctor Johnston will be by later to check that wound.”
Kit nodded and finished the soup she handed the bowl back to Nurse Miller and lay back down.

It was not long before Doc Johnston arrived and checked Kit out. He left her room an spoke to the Widow
“She will be fine Widow Wilson, I can take her back to town with me now we might be able to help her memory but the best bet is for her to remember on her own.”

Kit walked out of the room her arm in a sling. “Mrs. Wilson, I would like to repay you for all your kindness. I have no money but I can work.”

The widow Wilson walked over to Kit and put her arm on her shoulder “My dear girl, you are in no shape to work, yet.”

The Widows Daughter Sarah brought in a pot of coffee and smiled at Kit “This Saturday I am to marry my Beau Billy and that will leave my room free ma.”

“My daughter has a very good idea. Lena you will stay with us until you remember who you are or until you feel you can't put up with an old woman anymore.”

Kit smiled “Thank you Mrs. Wilson. I will do what I can to help around the house and outside”

Doc Johnston looked at them “keep that arm in that sling for the next couple of weeks but be sure to exercise it daily other wise you wont be able to use it again. and come see me next week and well check to see how its healing.”

“Yes sir I will, and Nurse Miller thank you for all of your help.”

“You are welcome Lena.”

The Doctor an Nurse Miller left. Kit couldn't do much but she helped with clearing the breakfast dishes from the table. That was about all she was allowed to do before the Widow ushered her back to her room telling her to rest there would be plenty of time to help out. The Widow had to admit to herself it was nice to have someone to look after for a change her boys were gown and though they stayed at home they had girls they hoped to marry as soon as the houses were built on the property. And the Widow would truly be alone but for now she would do what she could for the young woman who had no memory and no home.

Go to Top of Page

Artiespet
SS senior field agent

USA
5113 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  15:12:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pet had requested Mr. Gordon and Apple stop by her room. When the door opened Pet looked up with fear and trepidation. Apple entered the room, her face somber and brooding. Pet was afraid to look past her partner to see if Artie had joined her. She let out a sigh of relief when Artemus cautiously slid into the room, noting that while he was there as requested he kept his distance allowing Apple to take the chair closer to the bed. His eye was still swollen nearly shut and the bruises were a ghastly shade of purple, black and blue. They agents sat and waited patiently for Pet to break the icy silence.

“Mr. Gordon, I must begin by apologizing to you. I am so sorry. I have not lost my temper like that since...” Pet looked at him apologetically.

“I think I can understand. You mean to say that you’ve lost your temper like that before? Might I ask when”? Artie tried to draw her out.

“I keep my emotions under as tight control as possible…because the last time I lost control like this was…well…” Pet stammered.

“Pet, remember what we told you. Nothing you say will leave this room.” Apple urged her.

“You have no idea how much I want to believe you.” Pet put her hand up to stop Apple and Artie’s protests, “But my experiences have taught me to be cautious.” Artie nodded and Pet continued.

“You are both aware I do not have many friends. And the ones I do have I will protect to the bitter end. Well when Dr. Loveless told me it was you who had put Kit in danger the agent in me said he was lying but he friend in me wanted revenge.”

“Pet, even I can understand that to some extent…” Apple spoke quietly, “but that doesn’t excuse or fully explain what you did to Artemus. You could have killed him.”

“I know.” Pet whispered. “You gotta believe me when I say I’m sorry, Mr. Gordon.” Pet looked at him imploringly.

“Oh I believe you. But you need to forgive yourself.” Artie spoke softly.

“Forgiveness is like friendships…not in the cards for me. Mr. Gordon you do deserve to know why it is that I reacted the way I did.” Artie leaned forward in his chair and Apple stared intently at her partner.

“All right, go on.” Artie prodded.

“Mr. Gordon…” Pet sighed not sure how to proceed.

“Please, we had at least established that you would call me Artemus.” Artie looked at her with a half smile.
“Artemus…You above all others on this team are the one I can not let myself get close to.” Artie looked at her quizzically.

“You remind me of the one person in my life I had counted on never to let me down. He was…my world. He made a promise to me and he broke it and when he did that it shattered what little faith I had in anyone. When Loveless told me you were responsible for Kit’s death…”

“Pet…I…” Artie started but Apple waved him off.

“When Loveless told me you were responsible for Kit’s death…it brought back some rather unpleasant memories. Someone I was close to…made me a promise and didn’t keep it. Well, when I thought you took Kit from me. They aren’t on this earth anymore so I couldn’t take my anger out on them…you were. If you want me to resign I will just say the word.” Tears fell as Pet turned her head away not able to face him.

Go to Top of Page

blacksheepbrat64
SS novice field agent

USA
1798 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  18:31:13  Show Profile  Visit blacksheepbrat64's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bess came up to Pet's door to check on everyone and Jim stopped her.

"No, Bess, I know you mean well, but she just wants to talk to Artie and Apple right now."

"Jim, I just want to make sure everyone's ok," Bess said concerned.
"They know that Bess, just leave them be for the moment anyway right now, you have some other plans you cannot change."
"What's that?" Bess asked.
"I'm taking you to dinner."
"For what?" Bess asked.
"To thank you for saving my life," Jim replied.

BSB64
"If you want to keep that peaches and cream complexion, you'd better tell us how to open that elevator!"
Jim to Triste in TN Dr. Loveless Died

Go to Top of Page

nittanyapple
SS senior field agent

USA
8570 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  21:01:38  Show Profile  Visit nittanyapple's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Artemus Gordon was nothing if not a compassionate man. As he listened to Pet tell he and Apple why she had attacked him he felt a few different emotions. He was sympathetic for the loss and grief that the agent was still going through. He better understood this woman who in all other ways was still an enigma, with her secret past and no known surname. And now for her to offer to tender her resignation over this...no, he would not abide with a resignation from this agent.

"I won't hear another word about a resignation. Not when it isn't warranted," He was firm.

"Is...isn't warranted? I practically thrash a superior, and a resignation isn't warranted?" Pet wiped her eyes surreptitiously. This man had to be crazy. Why would she be given another chance?

"Pet, hush," Apple cautioned. "Artemus said that no resignation is necessary, and he's right."

Pet's glance fell on her as she spoke. Pet looked into the eyes of her partner and saw the compassion in her eyes as well. Why do they even care? I don't deserve to keep this job after what I did! She began to feel more than a little uncomfortable, thinking that anyone cared about her enough to let her get away with what she had done.

"So what will you tell Colonel Richmond? You have to report me, and he will want my resignation."

"Why are you so blasted insistant on being punished?" Apple didn't understand what made this woman tick, and it was more than a little irritating. Artemus put his hand on her arm to silence her.

"You won't be reported and punished. The incident will be reported but not recommended for punishment. You were under duress, and who's to say that it wasn't a ruse to keep Loveless occupied?" Arte was serious as he said this.

Pet took in the meaning of his words, let them sink in. She would be able to keep her position in the Secret Service.

"You can trust your fellow agents, Pet. Especially your partner...that is a strong bond," Artemus looked between the two women. "And you can trust me to have your back, too."

It took a few moments but Pet finally nodded, then said, "All right, Artemus...Deb. I will try to put my faith in you." But at the same time she was thinking, now prove me wrong.
Go to Top of Page

kitana
SS novice field agent

1578 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2008 :  17:21:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kit tried to rest per the Widow Wilson's instructions but when she closed her eyes they were washed with crimson and the noise was unbearable it sounded like thunder in her ears but the sky was clear. She sat upright and caught her breath it took her a moment to figure out where she was at. What were those dreams? what did they have to do with her? She shook her head and stood slowly she walked into an empty room she was sure that the Widow was out taking lunch to the boys. She went outside to the well and with her good arm pulled up some cool water in a bucket and she splashed it on her face.

Go to Top of Page

kitana
SS novice field agent

1578 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2008 :  16:50:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kit was at the well when the Widow came up behind her.

“hun are you ok?”

Kit didn’t hear her at first but she felt her touch. She turned to look at the old woman.
“Dreams, things just out of reach.”

“come inside and we can talk”

The Widow nodded as Kit told her the dreams “I can’t stay and yet I owe you so much.”

“You owe it to your family if they are out there. We have a spare horse you may take and I can give you a blanket or two.” She walked to a cabinet and pulled out a revolver she sat it in fron of Kit. “That belonged to my husband, I can’t give it to just one of the boys I would like you to have it.”
Kit picked the rvolver up and checked to see if it was loaded she stare at the gun in her hand and the noise was loud she heard yelling saw a surgical tent.

“Lena, Lena” Kit looked up at the Widow and saw concern in the old woman’s eyes.”Are you sure you are up to this?”

“yes Ma’am I have to find out who I am. As soon as I know I will write and repay you for your kindness.”

She sat down “when will you leave?”

“Once Doc says I can travel.”

The widow nodded and begain to prepare dinner. Kit placed her knew things in her room and came back to help the widow for sleep was not helpful at this point.

Go to Top of Page

nittanyapple
SS senior field agent

USA
8570 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2008 :  12:19:17  Show Profile  Visit nittanyapple's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Two weeks had passed with no sign of Kit. Pet hadn't recovered enough to be out searching, but she investigated as much as she could, looking for signs of her friend. The rest of the agents would go out in small groups for days at a time, tirelessly searching, relieving the previous group.

It was inevitable, the telegram.

No word on Agent Montgomery's whereabouts -stop- presumed dead -stop- End search -final stop-

Arte's face fell when he heard the message tapped out. Now he had to gather the rest of the agents and relay the news from Washington.

As they gathered aboard the Wanderer the tension was palpable. Pet paced nervously, not wanting to sit. The group watched her surreptitiously, not wanting to touch off a firestorm.

Artemus cleared his throat, not wishing to prolong the tension any longer. Everyone looked at him, and even Pet stopped pacing.

"We received a telegram from Washington," he began quietly. "About Kitana." He looked at Pet, but she turned and looked out a window. Apple moved closer to her partner, but she knew better than to touch her.

Artemus read the telegram. The group remained silent, waiting for Pet to explode. It didn't happen. Instead, she quietly said, "She deserves a funeral then. If Kit's dead, she should be remembered."

Apple touched Pet's arm, then turned to Pidge and Bess. "We can go to the funeral parlour in town to ask for the space. There should be flowers, too." The ladies left the train leaving Pet with Artemus, James, and Jeremy.

ok ladies and readers, I'm getting there! I am busy at work and can't think!
Go to Top of Page

Artiespet
SS senior field agent

USA
5113 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2008 :  09:43:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The men watched as Pet stood staring out the window no hint of emotion on her face. Jeremy glanced at Jim and shrugged his shoulders. Jim shrugged his in return and shook his head. They had no idea how to handle this agent in this state of mind. Had she blown a gasket they would have known but this quiet, reserved person before them…left them feeling quite clueless. The only one who really knew how to deal with Pet at all had just been declared dead.

Artemus took in the scene his heart full of sadness. Kitana was a handful and when combined with Pet an unstoppable whirlwind of activity. He would miss her as they all would. But there were things to be done and he knew Pet would want to do what she was able to for her friend. He recalled the argument in the hospital room between Pet and the doctor. He hadn’t wanted her released to any duty and attending a funeral was out of the question. Pet had argued and the doctor had finally relented enough to allow them to let her recuperate on the train muttering something under his breath about the sad state of the federal government if they allowed agents like her to serve the country.

“Pet,” Artie almost whispered as he rose and stood beside her, “we really need to notify Kit’s family. We don’t’ have anyone listed in her file…uh…would you happen to know…” Artie let the sentence trail off. Pet finally turned to look at him working hard to keep her face an expressionless mask.

“I’ll do what needs to be done.” She turned toward the telegraph key and the men bowed out of the room quietly to give her time to compose her thoughts.

Telegrams to follow…just waiting for Kit to reply to my IM lol

Go to Top of Page

Pidgeon
SS novice field agent

2666 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2008 :  07:43:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pidge turned to Bess, her heart in her throat. "I..I..I don't know if I can handle this." The shock laid on her chest like a heavy weight. She sat down slowly.

"Bess, what are we to do? She's gone?"

"Any scene can be more freshly and clearly seen when it is seen upside down." G.K. Chesterton
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000