INT. HOTEL LOBBY
INT. SITTING-ROOM
INT. CUBICLE
EXT. LAKESIDE
INT. BOOTH
INT. LABORATORY
EXT. GREEN SET

CAST:
[Again, a couple of handwritten names are alongside the names; I’m putting them in Italics.]

TYCHO Chris Cary
DOLLY DOLAN
JUAREZ
MEXICAN AGENT
BELLHOP
RAVENETTE
PEON
1ST AGENT Bob Golden(?)
2ND AGENT
3RD AGENT
4TH AGENT
1ST GIRL
2ND GIRL
TOWNS Juli Medina

THE WILD WILD WEST

“The Night of the Ominous Oculist” – Part I

TEASER

FADE IN:

187. A SERIES OF SHOTS

recapitulating PART I, concluding with:

188. EXT. PLAZA – TIGHT SHOT – NIGHT

on one of the artillery pieces across the plaza from the City Hall as it turns, aiming at –

189. WEST, FRANK

– lying helpless in the street, stunned by the previous volleys from the guns in front of City Hall.

190. 3RD GUN

as it FIRES.

191. WEST, FRANK

still lying in the street. The shot from the 3rd gun is high. It goes over Jim and Frank, blasting the front of a store right behind them.

192. TIGHT SHOT

on the 4th (and last) Gun as it draws a bead on the two men.

193. WEST, FRANK

as they look up groggily.

194. P.O.V. SHOT

on the 4th Gun as it FIRES.

195. WEST, FRANK

as they roll out of the line of fire as the shot from the 4th gun blasts a crater where they had been lying.

196. WEST, FRANK

as they scramble to their feet, looking around at the four guns in the plaza, waiting to see if they will fire again. When it becomes apparent that they won’t, the two start toward the nearest guns – the one in front of City Hall.

197, ANOTHER ANGLE

shooting pat one of the guns in the f.g. to Jim and Frank approaching it. Now we HEAR a hissing, sputtering noise – the unmistakable SOUND of a FUSE burning.

198. REVERSE ANGLE

as West and Frank HEAR the noise. They stop in their tracks, realizing what is happening.

WEST
Hit the dirt!

He and Frank dive to the ground as the 1st Gun in front of City Hall is destroyed by an EXPLOSION, then the other, and finally the two guns across the plaza. Jim and Frank keep their faces buried in the dirt during the series of explosions. Now they look up and around the plaza.

199. PAN SHOT

revealing each of the four artillery pieces in ruins.

200. WEST, FRANK

as they look at one another, then around at the guns again, their faces reflecting their dismay.

FADE OUT:

END OF TEASER

ACT ONE

FADE IN:

201. EXT PLAZA – WEST, FRANK – NIGHT

poking around the ruins of one of the artillery pieces in front of City Hall. Frank finally gives up, looking discouraged.

FRANK
This thing probably worked on some sort of pre-set clock mechanism, Jim, but we’ll never know for sure. It’s just too badly smashed.

WEST
(nods grimly)
But it settles one thing, Frank.
(beat)
I’m going to stay in San Pablo while you keep our date with Juarez in Nogales.
(looks around the Plaza thoughtfully)
Raven’s headquarters is either right here in San Pablo or very close by. And I’m going to try to find it.

FRANK
I guess it makes sense for one of us to stay, but –

He breaks off, eyeing West with obvious concern. West knows what he’s thinking.

WEST
You’re worried about me.

FRANK
Aren’t you worried about yourself?

WEST
I was.

FRANK
Was?

WEST
There’s one thing we both forgot, Frank… If Raven’s “conditioned” me to do something for them, why didn’t I get a pair of their glasses?

FRANK
Say, that’s right! You didn’t!
(beat)
Jim, do you suppose it was just a dream after all?

WEST
(shakes his head)
No, the whole thing was too real to be just a dream. But without a pair of Raven glasses, I’m no walking “time-bomb.”

FRANK
(sighs)
Well, that’s a relief.

WEST
Yeah.
(beat)
Now you’d better get going. You’ve got a long ride ahead of you and you can’t keep President Juarez waiting.

FRANK
Okay, Jim.
(extends hand)
Good luck.

West takes Frank’s hand.

WEST
Thanks.

Frank starts off.

WEST (CONT'D)
Frank –

Frank turns back.

WEST (CONT'D)
Ask President Juarez to stay in Nogales until I get there.

FRANK
(puzzled)
But why?

WEST
(a bit testily)
Don’t ask questions! Just make sure Juarez doesn’t leave before I arrive, understand?

Frank studies West a moment then nods thoughtfully.

FRANK
Sure, Jim. I understand.

Frank goes. West watches him, then turns toward the saloon.

202. ANOTHER ANGLE

on West as he approaches the saloon. He’s about to enter when a man comes pushing out through the bat-wings. The two momentarily block one another, then the man – one of the gray-clad Raven Guards with whom Jim tangled in his “dreams”—goes on, moving across the Plaza. West watches him, frowning, obviously trying to remember where he saw the man before.

203. P.O.V. SHOT

on the man as he disappears down a street leading from the Plaza.

204. WEST

as he looks down at his skinned knuckles, remembering the man. He moves off after him.

205. EXT. STREET – TRAVEL SHOT – NIGHT

on the Tough, unaware of being followed by –

206. WEST

– who remains in the shadows a discreet distance behind the Tough.

207. TOUGH

as he stops in front of the “San Pablo Blacksmith Shop,” looking up and down the street.

208. WEST

as he flattens himself against a building to avoid being seen by the Tough.

209. TOUGH

as he uses a key on the lock on the double doors to the blacksmith shop and enters.

210. WEST

as he hurries to the blacksmith shop. He surreptitiously tries the double doors. They have been locked from the inside. West moves to a window, which glows faintly from a light within the shop.

211. P.O.V. SHOT – THRU WINDOW

into the blacksmith shop. The only light is from the glow of the coals in the large forge against the rear wall. There’s nothing unusual about the shop – on the surface anyway. However, the Tough who Jim follows is not in sight.

212. WEST

frowning deeply, puzzled by the fact that the Tough has disappeared. He goes back to the double-doors. After making sure that the street is empty, West examines the lock, then extracts a lock-picking device from a pocket. He works on the lock for only a moment before we HEAR the bolt CLICK.

213. INT. BLACKSMITH SHOP – WEST – NIGHT

as he enters cautiously, making certain the Tough is really not there, concealed behind a door or another part of the room which he couldn’t see from the window. The CAMERA FOLLOWS Jim as he makes a turn of the shop, obviously looking for some secret exit the Tough must’ve used since the double-doors are the only ones in the shop. After examining the floor and a couple of walls, West comes to the –

214. FORGE

– with its bed of white-hot coals. There’s a wheel for raising the lowering the firebox, levers for the damper and for the grate, etc., plus a chain on a pulley, used for lifting heavy objects on and off the fire. After trying the wheel and the levers, Jim pulls this chain and the entire forge, including the chimney, starts to swing away from the wall, revealing a passageway behind it.

215. INT. PASSAGEWAY – WEST – NIGHT

as he enters it, the forge swings back into place. The passage is dimly lighted from some indeterminate source. There’s a heavy steel door at the far end. Jim goes to it. He tries it. It’s locked. From the heel of his boot he takes an explosive device, but before he can insert it in the lock of the door, he’s stopped by the SQUEAKING sound of the forge starting to open.

216. ANOTHER ANGLE

as West whirls, trapped, looking for some possible way to avoid detection. He looks up above the door and his eyes fall on an –

217. AIR DUCT

– opening large enough for a man to crawl into..

218. WEST

as he jumps up, catching the lower edge of the air duct, hoisting himself up. He disappears into the air duct just as –

219. OCCULARIS II

– enters the passageway and moves down it to the steel door.

220. TIGHT SHOT

on West, peeking down at Occularis II as the latter uses a key on the door and enters it.

221. INT. AIR DUCT – WEST – NIGHT

as he wriggles around inside it. The shaft slants steeply, obviously leading underground. West, using suction cups, starts to crawl down it.

222, ANOTHER ANGLE

Jim continues to make his way down the duct. As he does, we begin to HEAR voices. A few feet more and a faint glow of light appears. It comes through the end of the air duct, which is covered by an iron grille. West snakes his way up to the grille and looks through it.

223. P.O.V. SHOT

through the vent into the Conference Room. The picture West gets is this:

Thaddeus Toombs is standing in front of a large map of the United States and Mexico, a pointer in hand, while around the huge conference table is a group of distinguished-looking men, obviously the “scientists and philosophers” Toombs mentioned to West. Like Toombs, they wear orange surgical robes and caps, setting them apart from the grey-clad rank-and-file members of Raven. In the group of men seated around the table, there is one woman. It is Rosa. She, too, wears orange. Occularis II stand in the b.g.

Now the ANGLE TIGHTENS on the ornate chair at the far end of the table. The back of the chair is TOWARD CAMERA, but it is occupied. We SEE a normal, masculine hand with a cigarette in a long holder between its fingers.

TOOMBS
And now let me report on Philadelphia.
(he points to it on the map)
As you know, we have encountered some difficulty in that city, but I’m happy to report that –

TYCHO’S VOICE
(from the big chair; it is a little testy)
I’m not interested in Philadelphia, Professor! I want to know about Nogales!

There’s nothing out-of-the-ordinary about Tycho’s voice.

224. WEST

as he reacts to the mention of Nogales.

TOOMBS’ VOICE
Ah, yes – Nogales.

225. P.O.V. SHOT

into the Conference Room. Toombs wears a big, smug, confident smile.

TOOMBS
I am pleased to announce that I have heard from our colleague in Nogales within the hour.

TYCHO’S VOICE
(impatiently)
Well, what does he say?

TOOMBS
(to the chair)
That Juarez has arrived in that city and all is proceeding according to plan.
(literally beaming now)
I can say with complete confidence that by this time tomorrow night, the Republic of Mexico will be in our hands.

CUT TO:

226. EXT. NOGALES STREET – TO ESTABLISH – DAY

the “Hotel Palacio.”

227. INT. HOTEL LOBBY – WIDE ANGLE – DAY

featuring SEÑOR CHAVEROS as he comes from the stairs to a lobby full of newspaper reporters, photographers, presidential aides, and just plain citizens. Chaveros, pausing near the foot of the stairs, raises his hands for quiet.

CHAVEROS
Senores! … Your attention, please. Senores! … The Presidente will join us here in the lobby in a few moments!

With that, Chaveros comes on down the stairs, circulating in the crowd.

228. INT. SITTING-ROOM – JUAREZ – DAY

seated at a table, working on state papers. The ANGLE WIDENS to include Frank. He’s standing at a window, looking down into the street anxiously. In addition to Frank and Juarez, there are four Mexican Secret Service agents in the room. Now one of the latter looks at a clock standing on the mantel of a fireplace.

MEXICAN AGENT
(approaching Juarez)
Presidente, I am afraid we cannot delay your appearance any longer.

Juarez puts aside his work and looks around to Frank.

JUAREZ
What about Señor West?

FRANK
It looks as if I was wrong, Mr. Presidente. Apparently he isn’t coming to Nogales after all.

Frank turns from the window.

DISSOLVE THRU:

229. EXT. NOGALES STREET – LONG SHOT – DAY

from in front of the Hotel Palacio as West comes racing toward it. He reins-in, jumps from his horse and moves quickly to the hotel entrance. He’s stopped by:

CHAVEROS’ VOICE
Señor West!

230. ANOTHER ANGLE

to include Chaveros on the hotel porch. He hurries to West, shaking hands with him.

CHAVEROS
Buenas dias.

WEST
Buenas dias.

West turns back to the hotel entrance. Chaveros goes with him.

WEST
I must see President Juarez immediately!

231. INT. HOTEL LOBBY – WIDE ANGLE – DAY

featuring West and Chaveros as they enter and shoulder their way through the crowd toward the staircase. It’s slow going.

CHAVEROS
He will be down momentarily.
(beat)
Señor Harper has told us of your experience in San Pablo. Do you have any more information about – Raven?

WEST
I’ve located its headquarters.

CHAVEROS
Really?

WEST
They’re in an old Spanish grotto underneath the town. The entrance is through a blacksmith shop on a street near –

Jim breaks off as there is an increased HUBBUB from the crowd. He and Chaveros look toward the stairs.

232. P.O.V. SHOT

on “Juarez” at the top of the staircase. Only it really isn’t “Juarez.” It is Frank, made-up to look exactly like the Mexican president. Even West doesn’t know the difference for the present.

CHAVEROS’ VOICE
Here’s El Presidente now!

233. WEST

as he starts for the staircase, but suddenly stops, staring o.s. at something. The ANGLE SLOWLY WIDENS to reveal the “something.” It is a stooped, work-worn Mexican –

234. PEON

– who is extending a shaking, supplicating hand. He looks harmless enough – except that he has a huge raven perched on one shoulder.

PEON
(quaveringly)
Would you have a few centavos for a poor old man, Señor?

There’s something benignly evil about the beggar’s smile. The ANGLE WIDENS to include West as he stares at the raven, his expression becoming one with which we have grown familiar – that glassy-eyed, hypnotic look of those who have run afoul of Raven. He hands the old Peon some coins and the latter, in turn, takes something from a pocket.

PEON (CONT'D)
You forgot these in San Pablo, Señor.

235. GLASSES

– with their thick and tinted lenses.

236. WEST

as he dutifully puts the glasses on, then turns toward the staircase and –

237. ‘JUAREZ

– moving down into the lobby, gesturing greetings to the crowd below as photographers’ flash-guns EXPLODE filling the lobby with smoke.

238. WEST

as he pulls his revolver.

239. “JUAREZ” – WEST’S P.O.V.

As seen through the glasses in Jim’s “conditioned” state, the man is the embodiment of evil, his gestures making it seem as though he’s reaching out to grab West with hands which have talon-like hands. The scene is made even more malevolent by the billowing smoke from the photographers’ flash-guns.

240. WEST

as he FIRES once at “Juarez,” who is o.s. The lobby is immediately thrown into pandemonium. The CAMERA PANS with Jim as he races out of the lobby and into the street.

241. CHAVEROS

seeing West flee.

CHAVEROS
Stop him! … Stop that man!

But the attention of the crowd is on the fallen “Juarez,” who lies at the foot of the stairs, his “body” hidden from our view by the people surrounding it. So Chaveros himself fights his way to the street door in pursuit of West.

242. EXT. NOGALES STREET – WEST – DAY

as he mounts his horse in front of the hotel, puts the spurs to it and rides off like the wind. The CAMERA LOSES to –

243. CHAVEROS

– as he comes bolting out after West. Seeing Jim ride off, Chaveros rushes to a horse tethered at the hitch rail. He mounts it and takes off after West.

244. INT HOTEL LOBBY – “JUAREZ” – DAY

lying on his back at the foot of the staircase. The ANGLE WIDENS to include the stunned, hushed crowd gathered around the “body.” A Presidential Aide, kneeling next to the “body” gets to his fee slowly, solemnly shaking his head, indicating that “Juarez” is dead. A Photographer moves in for a close-up picture of the “body.” His flash powder EXPLODES and then several men pick “Juarez” up and start to carry him up the stairs, the Presidential Aide leading the way.

245. EXT. OPEN COUNTRY – WEST – DAY

riding like his life depended on it, but still hypnotized.

246. CHAVEROS

way behind but in hot pursuit of Jim.

247. INT. SITTING ROOM – WIDE ANGLE – DAY

as the Presidential Aide enters, followed by the men carrying “Juarez.” The Aide motions for them to put the “body” on the couch. They do. He then gestures for them to leave.

They go, the Aide following, pausing in the open doorway to glance back sadly at the “dead” man before closing the door.

The ANGLE TIGHTENS on “Juarez” on the couch. He lies as still as death as we HEAR a door open and close o.s. and FOOTSTEPS come to the couch and stop. “Juarez” – Frank – opens his eyes, looks up and smiles at the real –

248. JUAREZ

- as he solemnly looks down at his double. The ANGLE WIDENS to include Frank. He gets to his feet, stripping off his coat and vest to remove the bullet-proof jacket he is wearing beneath them.

JUAREZ
So you were right, Señor Harper. I was to be Raven’s next victim.

FRANK
(nods)
When Jim insisted I keep you in Nogales until he got here, I was sure you were the target for the “time-bomb” Raven had made of him.

JUAREZ
What a coup it would have been for Raven if the foremost Secret Service Agent of the United States had murdered the President of Mexico.

FRANK
It could have meant war between our countries.

JUAREZ
(nods grimly)
And in the confusion, turmoil and panic, Raven would have seized power.

FRANK
Mr. President, you understand that we must let Raven believe that its plot succeeded. Otherwise, Jim’s life may be in danger.

JUAREZ
I understand, Señor Harper, but I cannot let you issue any false communiqués.

FRANK
That won’t be necessary, Mr. President. All I ask is that you remain out of sight for 48 hours to give me time to find Jim – and Raven.

JUAREZ
Forty-eight hours?
(beat)
Very well, Señor, but I cannot give you any longer than that.

CUT TO:

249. EXT. BLACKSMITH SHOP – WEST – NIGHT

as he rides up to it and the doors seem to open automatically.

250. INT. BLACKSMITH SHOP – WEST – NIGHT

as he rides in and dismounts. He is, of course, still in the somnambulistic state and is also still wearing the Raven spectacles. The doors close behind him and the ANGLE TIGHTENS as Jim takes a match from a pocket and strikes it, holding it out.

A moment passes, then the face of Professor Toombs appears in the glow from the light of the match. He lights a cigar, inhaling with deep satisfaction.

TOOMBS
Congratulations, Mr. West.

With that, Toombs removes the glasses from West’s face and blows out a plume of cigar smoke, extinguishing the match. As the flame goes out, so does Jim – sinking unconscious to the floor.

CUT TO:

251. INT. CUBICLE – WEST – DAY

as he comes to, lying on a cot. The room is slightly larger than implied by the word “cubicle,” and although it is of stone block construction there is nothing monastic about it. Indeed, it appears to be a comfortable and unusually up-to-date hospital room plus doctor’s office. On the walls are eye charts of a somewhat “advanced” design as well as a chart of the human anatomy and a cross-section drawing of the human head and brain. West looks around to see –

258. ROSA

– seated on a chair beside the cot. There’s no mistaking the look in her eyes. She’s smitten with Jim. Behind her we see two gray-clad Ravenites on guard duty in the corridor outside the bat-wing doors to the cubicle. West props himself up on an elbow, looking around.

WEST
Raven headquarters.

ROSA
Si, querido mio.

WEST
How did I get here?

ROSA
You do not remember?

West tries to, but can’t. He shakes his head.

ROSA (CONT’D)
It was part of our instructions to you that you return to us after completing your assignment in Nogales.

WEST
(sharply sitting up)
Nogales? … What assignment?

253. ANOTHER ANGLE

as Rosa goes to the desk and picks up a photograph and returns to Jim, handing it to him.

254. INSERT – PHOTO

of frank, disguised as Juarez, lying at the foot of the stairs in the Hotel Palacio.

ROSA’S VOICE
It went beautifully, querido mio. Just exactly as we planned.

255. BACK TO SCENE

as West gets to his feet, staring at the photograph with a sickening realization of what he did.

WEST
So that’s what I was “conditioned” for – to murder Benito Juarez.

ROSA
(smiles proudly)
And it was my idea, novio.

WEST
(bitterly)
Congratulations.

ROSA
(pouting)
But you do not mean it.

WEST
How did you guess?

West crosses to the desk, putting the photograph down on it, staring down at it grimly. Rosa comes up behind him and starts to slip her arms around his waist. At her touch, West’s anger and frustration erupt. He whirls, pushing her aside, and strides toward the bat-wings.

ROSA
Querido!

256. INT. CORRIDOR – WEST, RAVEN GUARDS – DAY

as Jim barrels out of the cubicle unexpectedly, the bat-wings hitting the Guards and knocking them off balance. However, they recover in time to grab Jim and a fight is joined. An ALARM BELL starts ringing. Other Gray-clad Raven Guards come pounding down the corridor from both directions and West is finally over-powered by their numbers and hustled back into the cubicle.

257. INT. CUBICLE – WIDE ANGLE – DAY

West is being restrained by two guards holding his arms. He continues to struggle.

ROSA
You are being very foolish, amante mio.

WEST
You’ll have to forgive me if I have an aversion to assassinating Presidents.

ROSA
Raven will cure you of that in time.

WEST
You don’t have that much time.

Rosa studies Jim with a knowing smile.

ROSA
I know what you are thinking, querido.

WEST
Do you?

Si… you are thinking of Señor Chaveros.

West just stares at her.

ROSA (CONT'D)
You are remembering that you told him where our headquarters are and you are certain he reported it to your compadre, Señor Harper, and that the authorities will be swooping down on us at any moment.
(smiling)
Eh, novio mio?

West doesn’t reply.

ROSA (CONT'D)
I am sorry to disappoint you but that isn’t going to happen.

WEST
You’re sure?

CHAVEROS’ VOICE
We are positive, Señor.

West whirls to see –

258. CHAVEROS

– standing in the doorway, all smiles. He wears an orange cap and gown, the symbol of rank in Raven.

ROSA’S VOICE
Señor Chaveros is one of our most trusted and efficient secret agents.

259. WEST

as he gapes bleakly at Chaveros, seeing his hope for smashing Raven go up in smoke.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT I

James: Thanks, Artie.
Artemus: "Thanks Artie"! Is that all you can say to me? I've just come back from the grave, risen like Lazarus, and that's what you say? "Thanks, Artie"?
Artemus: It's a pleasure.
- TNOT Pistoleros

California gal
SS senior field agent

USA
8373 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  09:51:03  Show Profile
ACT II

FADE IN:

260. INT. CUBICLE – WEST – DAY

He is strapped to the examination chair, his arms and legs restrained. The ANGLE WIDENS to include Rosa. She is studying him unhappily. They’re alone – except for the Raven Guards outside the bat-wings.

ROSA
This is so unnecessary, querido.

West ignores her, his eyes settling finally on the photograph on the desk beside the chair in which he’s strapped. He looks at it grimly.

ROSA (CONT'D)
You must realize that you are a wanted man now. A hunted killer. You have no friends on the outside. You can trust no one – including your compadre, Señor Harper.

West’s attention is still on the photograph.

261. INSERT – PHOTOGRAPH

of “Juarez” lying “dead” on the hotel lobby floor – and particularly of his right hand with Mayor Sneed’s ring, the one which Frank used in his disguise and then couldn’t get off.

262. BACK TO SCENE

West, recognizing the ring, is doing his best to conceal his pleasure over his discovery. He knows now that “Juarez” is Frank. Rosa is curious about Jim’s intense interest in the photograph.

ROSA
If you are examining the fotographia hoping to prove it is a fake, you are wasting your time, amante mio.

West, hiding his excitement, sighs resignedly.

WEST
(dismally)
No, it isn’t a fake. I can see that.
(stands up)
And you’re right, Rosa. I don’t have any choice but to throw in with Raven.

ROSA
(ecstatically)
Querido!

WEST
If your colleagues will accept me.

ROSA
They will!

Quickly, Rosa starts to loosen the straps on West’s arm and legs.

ROSA (CONT'D)
Oh, they will! You do not have to worry about that. I will make them accept you!

West gets to his feet. Rosa’s arms go around his neck and she kisses him passionately. West responds perfunctorily.

ROSA (CONT'D)
(whispering in West’s ear)
You will never regret this, querido … Never, never … I promise you … Soon – very soon – Raven will rule the world but you and I will help it … We will be the most powerful man and woman in history … Does that not excite you, my love?

CUT TO:

263. EXT. WEST’S TRAIN – RUN BY – DAY

264. INT. WEST’S VARNISH – WIDE ANGLE – DAY

featuring Frank sitting at a table piled high with Secret Service records and dossiers. Four more AGENTS stand across the table from him, rather frantically shuffling through the piles to find information as Frank demands it. The men are in shirt-sleeves and they are eating sandwiches and drinking coffee, not even taking time out for a meal.

FRANK
Not Samuel Toombs! … Thaddeus! … Thaddeus Toombs!

1ST AGENT
Arnold, Carl, Philip –
(finds it)
Thaddeus!

Frank snatches the file, going through it rapidly.

FRANK
Born Canton, Ohio –

The 2nd Agent begins to dig through a stack of files.

2ND AGENT
Canton, Canton, Canton –

FRANK
(overlapping)
Graduate, Bachelor of Science, Allegheny Tech.

3RD AGENT
(going through files)
Allegheny Tech.

FRANK
M.S. from Simmons Institute.

2ND AGENT
(handing Frank a file)
Canton, Ohio.

4TH AGENT
Simmons, Simmons, Simmons.

3RD AGENT
(handing Frank a file)
Allegheny Tech.

FRANK
Graduate studies, University of Munich.

4TH AGENT
(handing Frank a file)
Simmons Institute.

FRANK
Hurry up with that Munich file!

2ND AGENT
(going through files)
Munich, Munich, Mu –
(finds it)
Here!

FRANK
(busy with the other files)
Run it down for me!

2ND AGENTS
Toombs, Thaddeus … Graduate student … Apprentice Instructor … Laboratory assistant in chemical to Professor Kralle.

Frank snaps his fingers at the 3rd agent.

FRANK
Kralle!

3RD AGENT
(going thru files)
Kralle, Kralle, Kralle –
(finds it)
Here it is! … Wolfgang Kralle, Munich Uni…

Frank recognizes the name. He jumps to his feet excitedly.

FRANK
Wolfgang Kralle!
(snatches the file)
So Toombs studied under the notorious Professor Kralle.

1ST AGENT
Who is he, Frank?

FRANK
He could have been one of the greatest chemists that ever lived. The man’s a genius. But he became obsessed with the idea of creating a drug that would permit pre-conditioned mental behavior and change the personality of the person injected with the drug. The trouble was that he wasn’t satisfied with experimenting on animals. He wanted to work directly on human beings.

Frank has come to a photograph of Kralle.

265. INSERT – PHOTOGRAPH

of WOLFGANG KRALLE. He’s a repulsive gargoyle of a man who looks a little like a cross between Mr. Hyde and the Hunchback of Notre Dame. Wild hair sticks out from under a battered top hat.

FRANK’S VOICE (O.S.)
(continuing)
Especially women. As hard as it is to believe, he had a way with the ladies.

266. BACK TO SCENE

as the photograph of Kralle is passed around among the agents.

2ND AGENT
What happened in his experiments?

FRANK
He used his drug on all nine women.
(adds:)
And all nine died.
(looks at the file)
Now he’s serving life in prison in Hofgarten Penitentiary in East Prussia.
(pauses thoughtfully, getting an idea)
But wouldn’t it be interesting if he weren’t?

He looks around at the Agents, smiling knowingly.

CUT TO:

267. EXT. LAKESIDE – WEST, ROSA – DAY

a blanket has been spread out beside the water. Rosa is seated on it and Jim is lying with his head in her lap. This is an idyllic setting. One made for lovers. Rosa signs with deep contentment.

ROSA
Isn’t it beautiful, querido mio?

WEST
(pretending equal contentment)
Lovely.

ROSA
And this is only the beginning.
(beat)
Pour us some wine, amante.

WEST
A good idea!

268. ANOTHER ANGLE

as West sits up and Rosa takes a bottle of wine and two glasses from a picnic hamper. She hands the bottle to Jim to open.

ROSA
When I think of the wonderful life we are going to have together, I want to explode with happiness.

WEST
Tell me about it and we’ll explode with happiness together.

Rosa LAUGHS happily.

ROSA
Well, first – Mexico will be ours.

WEST
Mexico?

ROSA
Ours to rule! You and I. like Maximilian and Carlotta. But with one difference, amante … We shall never be overthrown.

Jim has the wine open. Rosa holds out the glasses. West fills them. Rosa touches her glass to his.

ROSA (CONT'D)
To us.

They drink.

WEST
What about Chaveros?

ROSA
What about him?

WEST
I should think he’d want to be the one to rule Mexico.

ROSA
(laughs lightly)
He probably does, but Tycho will give Mexico to me if I ask for it.

WEST
Tycho? … Who’s Tycho?

ROSA
Our maestro, our patron, our teacher.

WEST
What about Toombs?

ROSA
Toombs?
(snorts)
He is nothing compared to Tycho! A mental pygmy! So are the others! Tycho is the genius of the ages. It is from him that all knowledge flows. It is Tycho who instructs, inspires, leads.
(beat)
Tycho is Raven.

WEST
When am I going to meet him?

ROSA
You … Oh, I am sorry, querido, but that is impossible.

WEST
Why?

ROSA
Tycho never sees neophytes.
perhaps some day when you have proved yourself in Tycho’s eyes –

WEST
Isn’t the fact that I killed Benito Juarez proof enough?

ROSA
That was nothing to Tycho.
(taking Jim’s face in her hands)
Besides, querido, there is no need for you to see Tycho. If there is anything you want just ask me.
(softly)
Anything.

Rosa brings West’s lips to hers, kissing him passionately.

CUT TO:

269. EXT. PLAZA – PAN SHOT – DAY

on the stagecoach as it enters from one of the streets and swings around, pulling to a halt in front of the hotel.

270. EXT. MOTEL – FRANK – DAY [Yes, the script reads motel, not hotel!]

as he gets down from the stagecoach, disguised as Wolfgang Kralle. He clutches carpetbag and brandishes a heavy cane, the latter a menace to anybody within four feet of him. A BELLHOP comes out of the hotel, followed by Doctor Occularis II. Frank glares belligerently at the small crowd, bellowing in Kralle’s German accent.

FRANK
Well, where is he?!

The crowd looks baffled.

FRANK (CONT'D)
Well, don’t just stand there! … Answer me!

The BELLHOP steps forward timidly.
BELLHOP
Where is who, sir?

FRANK
Thaddeus Toombs, that’s who!

The mention of Toombs’ name grabs Occularis II’s attention.

BELLHOP
Thaddeus Toombs?

FRANK
That’s right!

BELLHOP
I’m – I’m afraid you’ve made a mistake, sir. There’s no one in San Pablo by that name.

FRANK
Of course there’s someone here by that name! There’s Thaddeus Toombs! Now go tell him Professor Wolfgang Kralle is here like it said I would be in the telegram I sent him!

The Bellhop reaches out to take Frank’s carpetbag. Frank cracks him smartly on the knuckle with his cane.

FRANK (CONT'D)
Keep your hand to yourself, you – you Dumpkopf! Nobody touches my satchel but me! And do you know why?

The astonished bellhop, nursing his smarting hand, shakes his head stupidly.

FRANK (CONT'D)
Because in here are secrets! Secrets from the brain of Wolfgang Kralle! The secret of how to blow up this stupid world! … ka-boom! … The secret of how to shrink that silly head of yours until it is no bigger than a green pea!

The Bellhop, swallowing hard, backs away.

FRANK (CONT'D)
(to bellhop_
Tell Thaddeus Toombs I am waiting for him in the nearest rathskeller.

With that, Frank goes stomping off toward the saloon.

271. OCCULARIS II

as he watches Frank go, then comes to a decision, and follows him.

272. INT. SALOON – FRANK – DAY

as he comes pushing through the bat-wings, glares around at the saloon and its occupants, then goes to a table. It has several empty glasses on it. He sweeps them off onto the floor with his cane and sits down, putting his carpetbag on the table in front of him.

FRANK
(hammering on the table with his cane)
Waiter! … Beer!

He opens his carpetbag and starts digging through the contents. Occularis II comes through the bat-wings and moves to the table. Frank quickly closes the carpetbag and glares up at Occularis II.

OCCULARIS II
Professor Kralle?

FRANK
So what’s it to you?

OCCULARIS II
I’m Doctor Horatio Occularis II

FRANK
Doctor? … Phooey! … Go away! … I do not like pill-pushers.

OCCULARIS II
I heard you ask about Thaddeus Toombs. I might help you find him if you would tell me why you want to see him.

FRANK
That is for me to know and you to find out, Doctor Nosey!
(hits table with cane)
Where is my beer!

Occularis II hesitates, then shrugs and turns to go.

FRANK (CONT'D)
Wait!

Occularis II turns back inquiringly. Frank wiggles a finger at him. Occularis comes to the table and leans close.

FRANK (CONT'D)
(whispers)
The Lazlo Spectrum.

OCCULARIS II
What?

FRANK
(whispers)
Mention it to Thaddeus Toombs and see what he says?

OCCULARIS II
The Lazlo –

FRANK
(sharply)
Sssshhh!

OCCULARIS II
(whispers)
The Lazlo Spectrum?

FRANK
Ja, ja … The Lazlo Spectrum.

CUT TO:

273. INT. LABORATORY – TOOMBS – DAY

His face is alight with surprise and excitement.

TOOMBS
The Lazlo Spectrum?

274. WIDER ANGLE

to include Occularis II and Rosa.

TOOMBS
Occularis, are you sure that’s what he said?

OCCULARIS II
Yes, sir.

This is too much for Toombs. He has to sit down. He does.

ROSA
Who is Wolfgang Kralle?

TOOMBS
I studied under him at the University of Munich. He’s a brilliant chemist. Eccentric – but a genius.
(pauses, frowning)
I lost track of him after I returned to this country. I heard rumors that he’d encountered some difficulty with the authorities and had been dismissed from the University, but I could never confirm them.

ROSA
And the Lazlo Spectrum?

TOOMBS
Kralle’s most exciting experiment. Bold, daring, imaginative. As a young lab assistant, I worked with him on it.
(gets up, pacing excitedly)
Kralle was attempting to synthesize a spectrum of drugs which he believed would have a hypnotic effect when injected into a person’s bloodstream.

OCCULARIS II
Did it work?

TOOMBS
(shakes his head)
Not when I left Munich and returned to this country. But Kralle vowed to keep experimenting until he perfected it.

ROSA
Do you suppose that’s why he’s here? Because he has perfected it?

TOOMBS
It must be! It has to be!
(barely able to contain himself)
Rosa, do you realize that a few cc’s of the Lazlo Spectrum would accomplish what we now must do with this clumsy procedure of eye-drops, kinetoscopes and eye glasses?
(beat)
Occularis, I want you to arrange for Professor Kralle to be brought here as quickly as possible.
In keeping with all of security rules, of course.

OCCULARIS
Yes, sir.

Occularis goes. Toombs turns to Rosa, beaming excitedly.

TOOMBS
Rosa, my dear, this is a history day for Raven.
(adds in a whisper)
And for us.

CUT TO:

275. INT. CORRIDOR – CHAVEROS – DAY

as he’s approached by a fetching girl clad in Raven gray.

RAVENETTE
Señor Chaveros, the new man – West – is asking to see you.

CHAVEROS
Me?

RAVENETTE
He’s quite insistent about it.

CHAVEROS
What does he want?

RAVENETTE
He refuses to say.

Chaveros frowns, not understanding this.

CHAVEROS
Very well.

He goes.

276. INT. CUBICLE – CHAVEROS – DAY

as he appears in the doorway, looking into the cubicle, not seeing West.

CHAVEROS
(entering)
Señor West?

WEST’S VOICE
Thanks for coming, Chaveros.

277. WEST

- clinging to the ceiling with suction cups.

278. ANOTHER ANGLE

to include the startled Chaveros as Jim drops on him from the ceiling. West clips him with a hard right to the chin. Chaveros sags and West eases him to the floor.

Working quickly, Jim strips Chaveros of his orange surgical gown, cap and mask. He puts them on and then produces some pre-torn strips of bedding and ties Chaveros’ wrists and ankles. After gagging the man, Jim rolls him under the cot.

279. ANOTHER ANGLE

as West climbs up on a chair, then hoists himself into the open air duct, crawling into it.

280. INT. AIR DUCT – SERIES OF SHOTS – DAY

of West crawling through the air duct, finally arriving at the end of it. The terminus is covered with a heavy iron grille. Jim examines it carefully. He finds that the grille is held by four bolts. Working in the close quarters of the duct, he removes explosive devices from the heel of a boot and sticks them on the heads of the bolts.

281. INT. CONFERENCE ROOM – TIGHT SHOT – DAY

on the iron grille over the air duct. There are four PUFFS of smoke as the explosive devices go OFF. West’s hand grabs the grille before it falls to the floor.

282. WIDER ANGLE

to include West as he crawls out of the air duct and lowers himself to the floor, putting the iron grille aside. The room is in semi-darkness.

TYCHO’S VOICE
(pleasantly)
Greetings, Mr. West.

West whirls, startled.

283. ANOTHER ANGLE

to include the huge chair at the far end of the conference table. The chair is occupied, but the figure in it – that of a man – remains nothing more than a shadow, except for a portion of the hand we saw before and the very real, smoking cigarillo in its fingers.

TYCHO’S VOICE
I’ve been expecting you.

WEST
You’re Tycho?

TYCHO’S VOICE
You may call me that.

West starts for the chair, but as he reaches the end of the table opposite the figure in the chair, he’s stopped by

TYCHO’S VOICE
That is close enough, Mr. West.
(beat)
Please sit down.

West does.

WEST
So you’ve been expecting me.

TYCHO’S VOICE
Yes, Mr. West. You see, I have been following your career for sometime. You’re a man of great determination and amazing resourcefulness. From the moment you told Rosa you wanted to meet me, I knew you would find a way to do so.
(chuckles)
I do hope you didn’t fracture poor Chaveros’ jaw.

WEST
(puzzled)
How did you know –

TYCHO’S VOICE
Quite simple, Mr. West. In addition to the air duct, there’s a small vent near the ceiling in your quarters. Perhaps you’ve noticed it.

WEST
Yes.

TYCHO’S VOICE
It is a listening port, Mr. West. They’re many of them strategically placed throughout our headquarters, permitting me to constantly keep in touch with what is going on.
(beat)
And now, may I congratulate you on your decision to join the ranks of Raven!

WEST
I didn’t have much choice, did I?

TYCHO’S VOICE
Nevertheless, you decided wisely. And if you still have any lingering doubt about that, perhaps this will convince you.

A panel in the center of the conference table commences to revolve, and as the underside comes into VIEW we see it has the model of a building attached to it. As it finally swings into place, we will have recognized it as a replica of the capitol in Washington, a small American flag flying proudly from the dome.

284. ANOTHER ANGLE

as West, intrigued by the model, gets up from his chair and goes to it slowly.

TYCHO’S VOICE
Watch, Mr. West… Watch closely.

Suddenly flames spring up around the base of the model, consuming the building. West watches, horrified.

TYCHO’S VOICE (CONT'D)
I’m sure the symbolism isn’t lost on you, Mr. West. Within the week, the United States will be in chaos. There will be panics, riots, civil war. Its cities will be consumed by flame… Armageddon, Mr. West … Armageddon … And it will not be the Phoenix which arises from the ashes … It will be the Raven.

During the above, Jim’s anger has become too great for him to hold in check. As Tycho finishes, West rushes to the chair at the end of the table and spins it around. He grabs the figure in the chair, pulling it up to him before he realizes that it isn’t a man who has been occupying the chair, but rather it is a –

285. MANNEQUIN

– that grins at him with a cold, dead smile and looks at him with sightless eyes.

286. WEST

as he reacts, stunned, and lets the mannequin flop back into the chair. Now we HEAR Tycho LAUGHING derisively. West looks around the chair and sees a speaking –

287. TUBE

– which has become detached from the mannequin. Tycho’s laughter comes from it.

288. ANOTHER ANGLE

as the red draperies at the end of the room start to open. West turns toward them, his expression slowly becoming one of shocked incredulity as he sees the real –

289. TYCHO

– seated in the high-back chair in the library-like set on the dais. The man, impeccably dressed, wears a smoking jacket and is obviously something of a fop. But what really commands our attention is the fact that he has the body of a midget while his bald, heavily-veined head is twice the size of a normal adult head. With this glimpse of Tycho we

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT II

Artemus: "Thanks Artie"! Is that all you can say to me? I've just come back from the grave, risen like Lazarus, and that's what you say? "Thanks, Artie"?
- TNOT Pistoleros
Go to Top of Page

California gal
SS senior field agent

USA
8373 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  09:52:27  Show Profile
ACT III

FADE IN:

290. INT. CONFERENCE ROOM – TYCHO – DAY

staring at West from the high-back chair on the dais. He is angry. The ANGLE WIDENS to include West, still staring at the strange figure with stunned disbelief.

TYCHO
You should not have done that, Mr. West. I deal severely with anyone who makes an attack on me.

West looks at the mannequin.

WEST
You?

TYCHO
On what I might have been then – if nature had not gone awry and made me like this.
(with a cold smile)
But do not think I am envious of you so-called “normal” men. I am not. Nature is wise. Nature compensates for its mistakes. Though my body is small and my head is disproportionately large, my brain is twice the size – and has many times the capacity and power – of the ordinary human being.

Tycho hops down from the chair and approaches the edge of the dais.

TYCHO (CONT'D)
Chronologically, Mr. West, I am only 30 years old, yet I have absorbed the wisdom of the ages. I know all that is. And I know all that is to be.

Tycho turns to a bell-chord hanging down along a side wall.

TYCHO (CONT'D)
I am sorry you have shown yourself to be unreliable, Mr. West. Raven could have used a man of your vast talents.

WEST
Perhaps you’ll give me another chance, Tycho.

TYCHO
There are no second chances in Raven, Mr. West.

With that, Tycho pulls the bell-chord and almost immediately the double-doors open and several gray-clad Raven Guards enter. Seeing them, West makes a quick decision. He starts for Tycho, obviously intending to grab him.

291. ANOTHER ANGLE

over Tycho’s shoulder as West comes at him and crashes into a glass shield across the front of the dais – a glass so highly polished that West wasn’t aware that it existed. Tycho starts roaring with LAUGHTER as –

292. WEST

– staggers back from the glass shield, stunned, and is grabbed by the Raven Guards. The ANGLE WIDENS to include Tycho.

TYCHO
Take him to his quarters until I have decided his punishment.

The Raven guards haul West from the conference room. Jim struggles to break free, but it is futile.

CUT TO:

293. INT. SALOON – FRANK – DAY

at the piano, shaking the rafters with Wagner’s “Die Gotterdammerung.” Occularis II pushes in through the bat-wings and comes to the piano.

OCCULARIS II
(shouting)
Professor!
(louder)
Professor Kralle!!

FRANK
(shouting)
Do not interrupt when I am playing!!

Frank continues hammering the piano for a moment more, then abruptly swings away from it, glaring at Occularis II.

FRANK (CONT'D)
Well?

OCCULARIS II
(whispers)
I just spoke to Professor Toombs.

He gestures for Frank to follow him. Frank picks up his carpetbag and cane and the two start for one of the curtained booths. As they do, the CAMERA LOSES TO THE –

294. BAT-WINGS

– as DOLLY DOLAN pushes through them, looking around, sizing up the place. Dolly is clearly a dame who has seen the inside of a lot of saloons. Now she sees Frank (mistaking him for Kralle, of course) and emits a GASP of surprise.

DOLLY
Well, for – ! … It can’t be!

295. WIDER ANGLE

to include Frank and Occularis II as they are about to enter the booth. Dolly rushes to Frank, grabbing his arm, whirling it around.

DOLLY
It is! … Wolfie Kralle!

Dolly throws her arms around Frank and gives him a huge kiss.

DOLLY (CONT'D)
Darling! … I can’t believe it! … What are you doing here?

Frank is naturally completely bewildered. Dolly sees it.

DOLLY (CONT'D)
Wolfie, you don’t remember me.

FRANK
Fraulein, I – I –

DOLLY
Dolly! … Three years ago in Bremerhaven! … How could you forget?

FRANK
Ja, ja … Bremerhaven … Now I remember.

DOLLY
(eyes him narrowly)
You sure don’t act like it.

FRANK
Liebchen, how could I forget anyone as lovely as you.

DOLLY
(puzzled)
Then what’s the matter?

FRANK
Nothing is the matter, Fraulein, but you must excuse me. The Dokter and I have very important business to discuss.
(to Occularis)
Come, Dokter.

Frank and Occularis (who is very curious about the encounter between Dolly and “Kralle”) enters the booth, pulling the curtains. Dolly stands there, doing a slow burn.

DOLLY
The nerve of that guy! And after all the sweet talk he gave me in Bremerhaven!

Dolly flounces to a table and sits down, glaring angrily at the curtained booth.

296. INT. BOOTH – FRANK, OCCULARIS II – DAY

as they sit down, the latter eyeing Frank quizzically.

OCCULARIS II
Is that woman a friend of yours, Professor?

FRANK
Never mind her! What about Toombs? Did you mention that Lazlo Spectrum to him?

Occularis II continues to eye Frank narrowly, obviously still wondering about his reaction to Dolly. Frank knows it.

FRANK (CONT'D)
(testily)
Well, did you or didn’t you?

OCCULARIS II
Yes, and he wants to talk to you about it.

FRANK
When?

OCCULARIS II
Right away.

FRANK
Then let’s go.

OCCULARIS II
You are on your way, Professor.

And with that, the back of the booth gives way and Frank – carpetbag and cane in hand – disappears down a chute. The minute he’s gone, the back of the booth swings back into place.

297. INT. BLACKSMITH SHOP – CLOSE SHOT – DAY

on a panel in a wall as it slides back and Frank, still clutching the carpetbag and cane, comes spilling out of the chute and sprawls on the floor, sputtering Germanic oaths best left untranslated.

298. WIDER ANGLE

as a couple of Toughs swoop down on Frank and hustle him toward the forge which is standing open.

FRANK
(struggling all the way)
Let me go! … Help! … Murder! … Police!

Frank and the Toughs disappear down the passageway behind the forge and the forge swings back into place.

CUT TO:

299. INT. SALOON – DOLLY – DAY

She’s finally had it. She gets up from the table angrily, goes to the booth and pulls the curtain back.

DOLLY
All right, I’ve waited long enough.

She gasps, startled to find “Kralle” gone.

DOLLY (CONT'D)
Where is he?

She lifts the table cloth, peeking under the table.

OCCULARIS II
Where’s who?

DOLLY
That wienerschnitzel who tried to give me the cold shoulder!

OCCULARIS II
If you’re referring to Professor Kralle, he’s gone.

DOLLY
(dumbfounded)
Gone?! … How could he be gone? … I been sitting right there … I’d’ve seen him if he left!

OCCULARIS II
Nevertheless, he’s –

DOLLY
Say, what’s goin’ on around here? First Wolfie acts like he never seen me before in his life and now he disappears just like that!
(snaps fingers)
Tell me somethin’, Mister – that guy was Professor Wolfgang Kralle, wasn’t he?

OCCULARIS II
(frowning)
Don’t you know?

DOLLY
(sits down, troubled)
I thought I did, but the more I think about it the more I wonder. He sure is different here than he was in Bremerhaven.

OCCULARIS II
Maybe you should tell me about it, Miss –

DOLLY
Dolly – Dolly Dolan. And beer’ll do just fine, thanks.

CUT TO:

300. INT. CONFERENCE ROOM – FRANK, TOOMBS – DAY

as the latter hustle him through the door to the passageway that leads to the Blacksmith Shop. The draperies over the dais are closed.

FRANK
(sputtering)
And wait until the German Ambassador hears about this! He will –

TOOMBS’ VOICE
(warmly)
Professor Kralle!

301. WIDER ANGLE

to include Toombs. Frank squints through the semi-darkness of the room. Toombs comes to him, beaming.

TOOMBS
How good to see you again!

FRANK
(still squinting)
Toombs?

TOOMBS
Don’t you recognize me?

FRANK
Ja, ja … But you have changed, eh?

TOOMBS
It’s been a long time, Professor.

FRANK
Ja.

TOOMBS
Remember the last time we saw one another?

FRANK
Oh, ja! Sure! Like it was yesterday.

Toombs frowns, obviously trying to remember something.

TOOMBS
And what was it you said to me just as I was leaving?

FRANK
Oh, that! Ja! That was good, nein?
(anxious to change the subject)
Say, what is this place you have here with all the chutes and stuff?

TOOMBS
Later, Professor. Right now I want to show you my laboratory. I think you’ll be impressed.

Toombs takes Frank’s arm, escorting him out of the room.

TOOMBS (CONT'D)
And then we’ll have a long talk about old times. I’m looking forward to that, aren’t you?

FRANK
(with a marked lack of enthusiasm)
Oh, Ja… Ja.

302. INT. CORRIDOR – WEST, RAVEN GUARDS – DAY

as the latter forcibly escort Jim back to his cubicle.

303. ANOTHER ANGLE

to include Frank and Toombs approaching as West and the Guards reach Jim’s cubicle. They pause. Jim’s and Frank’s eyes meet for just a fraction of a second, but that’s all West needs to realize that “Kralle” is really Frank disguised. Toombs and Frank move on.

FRANK
What’s the matter with that young man?

TOOMBS
He’s one of our “problem” patients.

FRANK
Patients? … This is a hospital?

TOOMBS
In a way. And Mr. West refuses to cooperate.
(taps his forehead)
You understand.

FRANK
(nods knowingly)
Oh, ja! Ja, I understand.

304. INT. LABORATORY – ROSA –DAY

pacing the floor impatiently. The ANGLE WIDENS as Toombs and Frank enter.

TOOMBS
Ah, Rosa, my dear! May I present Professor Kralle?

Seeing Rosa, Frank (in keeping with Kralle’s character) practically starts to salivate.

FRANK
Well, well, well! What do we have here?

ROSA
(to Toombs)
Have you asked about the Lazlo Spectrum?

Frank looks surprised and displeased.

FRANK
(to Toombs)
She knows?

TOOMBS
It’s all right, Professor. Rosa is a trusted colleague.

FRANK
Well, in that case –

Frank breaks off, putting his carpetbag and cane on a table. He opens the bag so only he can see in it and comes up with a small bottle of colorless liquid. Toombs’ eyes are wide with awe as Frank holds the bottle up.

TOOMBS
(with a lump in his throat)
The Lazlo Spectrum?

FRANK
Ja.

You – you finally perfected it?

FRANK
Ja.

TOOMBS
How?

FRANK
(tenses)
How?

TOOMBS
Yes.

FRANK
Well – I uh – I used the regressive analysis technique.

TOOMBS
The regressive analysis technique? … I’ve never heard of it.

FRANK
Of course not! No one has!

TOOMBS
You mean it’s your own discovery?

FRANK
Ja, that’s exactly it. I used a plasmodium catalyst to induce an anti-inhibitory microorganism that has a wider and more complex psychological spectrum of activity than anybody ever expected it did.

TOOMBS
(not understanding a word of it)
Brilliant, Professor! Absolutely brilliant.
(beat)
May – may I see?

Toombs takes the bottle and examines it as breathlessly as if it was the Kohinoor Diamond.

ROSA
How does it work, Professor?

FRANK
Very simple, my dear. A person injected with my serum is immediately conditioned to accept any suggestion I make of him. I could turn him off and on like a machine.

TOOMBS
Incredible!

ROSA
Will it work on anyone?

FRANK
(flatly)
Anyone.

ROSA
Even a person of extraordinary determination and will-power?

FRANK
No one can resist it – given the proper dosage, of course.
(eyes her suggestively again)
Would you like me to demonstrate on you, my dear?

ROSA
No, Professor, but I know just the person you can demonstrate on.

CUT TO:

305. INT. CUBICLE – WEST, RAVEN GUARDS – DAY

There are two of them holding him down on a chair. Jim is struggling. The ANGLE WIDENS to include Frank, Rosa and Toombs. Frank is drawing some of the colorless liquid in the bottle into a hypodermic needle.

FRANK
And when you are injected with my serum, Herr West, you will go into a somnambulistic state in which you will obey without question every command I give you.

West continues his struggle.

ROSA
Please, querido mio, just relax. This is for your own good.

FRANK
Hold still, Herr West.

WEST
(struggling)
You may be a genius as a chemist, Professor, but you’re not so very smart otherwise. Do you know what’s going to happen if that serum works?

FRANK
What?

WEST
Your old friend Toombs will have you disposed of –

TOOMBS
Shut up, West!

WEST
(going on)
– and tell Tycho that the Lazlo Spectrum is his!

TOOMBS
I told you to shut up!

FRANK
(looks baffled)
Tycho? … Who is Tycho?

The CAMERA PANS SLOWLY up to the “listening port” near the ceiling.

WEST’S VOICE
He’s the boss of this outfit!

306. INT. TYCHO’S “LIBRARY” – TYCHO – DAY

seated in his huge chair, listening in on West’s cubicle, the voices coming to him out of a flower-petal shaped phonograph horn.

WEST’S VOICE
He’s the one you should be demonstrating the serum for!

FRANK’S VOICE
Ja, ja. If he’s the big cheese, he’s the one all right.

307. INT. CUBICLE – GROUP SHOT – DAY

Toombs is livid.

TOOMBS
Professor, I don't know what West is up to, but I can assure you that I have no intention of trying to steal your serum.

FRANK
Then why don’t you want me to give the demonstration for this – this fellow Tycho, huh?

TYCHO’S VOICE
A very good question, Professor Kralle.

All look with a start at the “listening port.”

308. INT. TYCHO’S “LIBRARY” – TYCHO – DAY

talking in a speaking tube.

TYCHO
Toombs!

TOOMBS’ VOICE
(meekly)
Yes, Tycho?

TYCHO
If Professor Kralle’s serum is as revolutionary as he claims, I think I should be present at the demonstration.

TOOMBS’ VOICE
Oh, I – I agree, Tycho.

TYCHO
Then it will take place in the conference room in ten minutes.

309. INT. CUBICLE – GROUP SHOT – DAY

featuring West and Frank as they exchange a quick smile. The “audience” with Tycho is obviously what they were after.

TOOMBS
(his nose is out of joint)
I’ll make the arrangements.

He exits, stiff with indignation. The Raven Guards follow.

FRANK
Now, Fraulein, if you will excuse us, I wish to examine Herr West to make sure I give him enough of my serum to overcome his resistance.

Rosa looks reluctant to leave.

FRANK (CONT'D)
You do want this demonstration to be a success, ja?

ROSA
Si! … si, it is the only way I can save him.

Rosa gives Jim a soulful look and then goes. Frank glances out the bat-wings, then turns to West and he and Jim exchange big grins and a handshake.

CUT TO:

310. INT. CONFERENCE ROOM – FRANK – DAY

he is placing a two-by-four between two chairs.

311. WEST

standing nearby as though in a trance.

312. TYCHO

in his chair behind the glass shield on the dais, watching with intense interest. The ANGLE WIDENS to include Frank, West, Toombs, Rosa, Chaveros and a number of other orange-clad Ravenites.

FRANK
(turns to Jim)
And now, Herr West, I want you to break that board in two with one blow of your fist.

The “command” is greeted with a HUBBUB of excitement from the spectators. Behind the glass shield, Tycho leans forward in his chair. West, moving like a robot, approaches the two-by-four and raises an arm to hit the board.

313. TIGHT SHOT

on the board as West’s fist breaks it in two.

314. WIDE ANGLE

There’s a round of APPLAUSE (except from Toombs, who is obviously skeptical of the whole thing).

FRANK
(taking a bow)
Danke… Danke…

TYCHO
Thank you, Professor! I’m convinced your mental conditioning serum is all you claim it to be. Not even a man of Mr. West’s physical prowess could perform the feats we have witnessed under normal conditions.

FRANK
Danke… But you have seen nothing, Herr Tycho… Nothing.

TYCHO
Nothing?

FRANK
I have made far more important discoveries in the field of chemically-induced hypnosis which I would like to discuss with you.

TYCHO
Proceed.

FRANK
I would prefer to talk privately.

TYCHO
(hesitates)
Very well.
(to the others)
The rest of you may go.

Toombs, seething with jealousy, steps forward.

TOOMBS
Tycho, if you will give me a moment there is a test which I would like to perform on Mr. West.
(to Frank)
With your permission, of course, Professor.

FRANK
(hiding worry)
Another time, ja?

TOOMBS
Now, Professor.

FRANK
But the demonstration is over.

TYCHO
The demonstration is over when I say it is over, Professor. What objections do you have to Toombs performing a test?

FRANK
None, Herr Tycho. Just –

TYCHO
Then proceed, Toombs.

TOOMBS
Thank you, Tycho.
(to West)
Extend your right hand, palm downward.

West obeys. Toombs takes a match from his pocket.

TOOMBS (CONT'D)
Now, Mr. West, I am going to touch the flame of a match to the palm of your hand, but in your hypnotic state, you will feel no pain.
(smiles coldly)
Or will you?

Toombs strikes the match and slowly brings the flame closer and closer to Jim’s hand.

FADE OUT:

END ACT III

- TNOT Pistoleros
Go to Top of Page

California gal
SS senior field agent

USA
8373 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  09:53:05  Show Profile

ACT IV

FADE IN:

313. INT. CONFERENCE ROOM – TIGHT SHOT – NIGHT

on the match in Toombs’ hand. It is only an inch or so from West’s outstretched palm.

326. CLOSE SHOT

on West, steeling himself, not batting an eye.

317. TOOMBS

eyeing Jim closely, looking for the slightest indication of fear in his eyes.

318. A SERIES OF SHOTS

Quick cuts of Tycho, Rosa and Chaveros watching anxiously.

319. TIGHT SHOT

on the match moving closer to Jim’s hand.

320. FRANK

as his hand surreptitiously pushes a glass of water to the edge of the table.

321. TIGHT SHOT

on the glass as it falls from the table to the floor, breaking.

322. WIDER ANGLE

as everybody in the room (except West, of course) reacts, startled by the breaking glass. Toombs whirls away from West, the flame of the match nips his fingers and he drops it with a gasp.

FRANK
(sheepishly)
I am sorry. Forgive me. I –

TOOMBS
(thru clenched teeth)
You did that deliberately!

FRANK
(looks shocked)
What?

TOOMBS
(angrily to Tycho)
He did it deliberately, Tycho! He knew West could not stand the flame against his flesh! His serum is a fraud!

FRANK
You think so! Well, I will show you!

Frank digs into his carpetbag and brings out an alcohol lamp, puts it on the table and lights the wick. A long tongue of flame licks the air.

FRANK (CONT'D)
(over above)
You’ll see! Nobody calls Wolfgang Kralle a fraud! You will see!

Frank suddenly has an idea and eyes Toombs sarcastically.

FRANK (CONT'D)
Or maybe you think this is a fraud, too, my skeptical friend. Perhaps you think the genius of Wolfgang Kralle has developed some sort of cold flame, eh? … Well, Herr Doubter, there is a way to convince yourself.
(beat)
You put your hand in this flame before Herr West does.

All eyes turn to Toombs.

FRANK (CONT'D)
I will have Herr West hold his hand in the flam for five minutes if you will hold yours in it for five seconds.

The eyes remain on Toombs. He gulps.

TYCHO
Do it, Toombs.

TOOMBS
Tycho –

TOOMBS
I can’t hold my hand in that flame! I’m not under the influence of the Professor’s system!

FRANK
Then you admit Herr West is under the influence of my serum?

TOOMBS
Well –

TYCHO
(sharply)
Well, what, Toombs?

TOOMBS
Well – yes.

TYCHO
Then if you’re satisfied, get out.
(to the others)
The rest of you, too.

Rosa turns to West – still in his “hypnotic” state – to lead him from the room.

ROSA
Come, querido mio.

Frank quickly stops her.

FRANK
I will need Herr West for further demonstration, Fraulein.

ROSA
But he’s mine!

TYCHO
Go, Rosa!

Rosa goes, pouting, exiting with the others. Frank closes the door behind them. As soon as he does, West comes out of his “trance” and rushes to the glass shield.

WEST
Get that other door open, Frank!

Frank crosses to open the door to the shaft to the blacksmith shop. Tycho suddenly realizes that something is wrong.

TYCHO
What is the meaning of this?

West, using his ring, starts to cut out a large piece of the glass shield. Tycho hops down from his chair, frightened.

TYCHO (CONT'D)
What are you doing?! … Stop it! Stop!!

323. INT. CORRIDOR – GROUP SHOT – DAY

on Rosa, Toombs, and Chaveros waiting outside the door.

CHAVEROS
(chidingly)
Your old teacher made a fool of you, compadre.

TOOMBS
I still think there was something wrong with that demonstration.

ROSA
You are just jealous.

OCCULARIS II’S VOICE
Professor Toombs!

324. POV SHOT

on Occularis II as he comes running toward the trio.

OCCULARIS II
Professor Toombs!

325. BACK TO SCENE

as Toombs comes up, winded.

TOOMBS
What is it, Occularis?

OCCULARIS II
Professor Kralle! There’s something you should know about him!

326. INT. CONFERENCE ROOM – TYCHO – DAY

jumping up and down, waving his arms, throwing an awful tantrum

TYCHO
Stop it!... Do you hear?! … Stop it!

327. WIDER ANGLE

to include West and Frank. Using vacuum cups, they lift a large section of glass out of the shield, and West goes through the opening after Tycho. Tycho tries to get to the bell-chord to sound the alarm, but West grabs him and hoists him up to his shoulder.

TYCHO
Take your hands off me! … Let me go! … Let me go!

328. ANOTHER ANGLE

as West steps through the hole in the glass shield with Tycho over his shoulder and he and Frank head for the door to the passageway shaft to the blacksmith shop. About halfway across the room, they’re pulled up short of the ALARM BELL RINGING.

329. INT. CORRIDOR – GROUP SHOT – DAY

on Toombs, Chaveros and Occularis II trying to unlock the door.

TOOMBS
It’s locked from the inside!

CHAVEROS
Break it down!

The three start hitting the double-doors with their shoulders.

330. INT. CONFERENCE ROOM – WEST, FRANK – DAY

as Jim, Tycho over his shoulder moves on toward the door into the passageway up to the Blacksmith Shop, but is again stopped by the sudden appearance of a couple of Toughs in the doorway.

331. INT. CONFERENCE ROOM – WIDE ANGLE – DAY

as the double-doors to the corridor crash in.

WEST
This way!

He and Frank head for the hole in the glass shield, hoping to exit through a door in Tycho’s “library.” Toombs, Chaveros and Occularis II come through the double-doors. The two Toughs, carrying revolvers, enter from the passageway and as West and Frank start through the hole in the glass shield, three gray-clad Raven Guards armed with rifles come charging through the corridor door behind Toombs et al.

332. HIGH ANGLE

as the Ravenites encircling West and Frank slowly close on them with the ALARM BELLS still JANGLING.

CUT TO:

333. INT. RAVEN HEADQUARTERS – A SERIES OF SHOTS – NIGHT

of Raven Guards stringing wire and charges of dynamite in the corridors, the laboratory, the cubicle, etc. Meanwhile we see other Ravenites packing equipment and carrying boxes. It’s clearly moving day for Raven.

334. INT. CONFERENCE ROOM –WEST, FRANK – DAY

They are lying on boxes of dynamite, bound hand a food. Frank’s “Kralle” disguise has been removed. The ANGLE WIDENS. A couple of Raven Guards are attaching fuses to the boxes of dynamite on which Jim and Frank are lying. Toombs and Rosa. They’re dressed for traveling. Now Tycho and Chaveros, also dressed for traveling, enter through the door in the “library,” accompanied by a couple of toughs.

TYCHO
Are we ready?

TOOMBS
All ready, Tycho.

ROSA
(looks down sadly at West)
I am sorry, querido mio. We could have had such a beautiful life together.

She hurries out, exiting through the door to the shaft.

TYCHO
Since you two have penetrated our headquarters, we are forced to abandon them. However, this is no more than an inconvenience. We have other quarters waiting for us and Raven’s work shall continue – on schedule.
(to Chaveros and Toombs)
Come.

Tycho leads the way to the door to the shaft. Toombs follows. Chaveros lingers, looking down at West and Frank contemptuously.

CHAVEROS
By the way, Senores, we have found out that Benito Juarez wasn’t assassinated in Nogales after all … Very clever of you … But I wish to remind you that I’m still a trusted advisor to the Presidente. I can kill. It will not have the same shock effect as if you had been the murderer, Señor West, but it will still serve Raven’s purpose.
(beat)
Adios, Senores.

Chaveros hurriedly exits through the door to the shaft.

FRANK
We’ve got to work fast!

West rolls over on his back, raises his legs as high as he can and lets them drop to the floor. The first time nothing happens, but the second effort brings a –

335. BLADE

– snapping out from the toe of his boot.

WEST’S VOICE
Frank! My boot!

336. WEST, FRANK

as the latter sees the blade and the two maneuver into a position which allows Frank to use the blade on the rope binding his wrists.

337. INT. BLACKSMITH SHOP – GROUP SHOT – NIGHT

Toombs and Chaveros are helping Tycho into the read of the oculus wagon, which stands hitched to a team of horses. The forge stands open in the b.g.

TYCHO
(querulously)
This is all your fault, Toombs! You and that “old teacher” of yours!

TOOMBS
Yes, Tycho.

Now Rosa, Toombs, and Chaveros climb into the rear of the wagon with Tycho. One of the two Toughs attending them latches the doors of the wagon.

338. INT. BLACKSMITH SHOP – GROUP SHOT – NIGHT

on two more Hardcases, mounted and ready to ride as escort for the wagon. The double-doors of the shop swing open. One of the two Toughs from inside mounts a horse which is waiting for him while the other turns back to the wagon.

339. INT. BLACKSMITH SHOP – TOUGH – NIGHT

as he starts to climb up to the boot of the wagon and West’s hand ENTERS SHOT and is clamped over the man’s mouth. The ANGLE WIDENS as West whirls the man around and renders him unconscious with a pressure point hold. West and Frank lay the man out, cold, beside the wagon. All this has taken place soundlessly and out of sight of the mounted Hardcases waiting outside the shop. Now Jim turns to the team of horses and starts to unhitch it from the wagon.

340. EXT. BLACKSMITH SHOP – GROUP SHOT – NIGHT

on the three mounted Toughs. They’re growing impatient.

341. INT. BLACKSMITH SHOT – WEST – NIGHT

in between the team of horses. He finishes unhitching them, then stands up on the tongue of the wagon and slaps both of the animals resoundingly on the rump, spooking them.

WEST
Ha! … Ha!

342. INT. BLACKSMITH SHOP – WIDE ANGLE – NIGHT

as the team bolts out of the shop, past the startled Toughs and on down the street. Now the Hardcases see West and Frank inside. They leap from their horses.

343. INT. BLACKSMITH SHOP – WIDE ANGLE – NIGHT

as the three Toughs rush to do battle with West and Frank. The latter aims his cane at the trio and SPARKS and SMOKE come shooting out of the tip of it, but the Hardcases keep coming and the fight is joined.

344. INT. WAGON – GROUP SHOT – NIGHT

on Tycho, Rosa, Toombs, and Chaveros.

TYCHO
What is going on out there?!

Chaveros tries the doors by can’t get them open. He starts pounding on them.

CHAVEROS
Open these doors!! … Open them!

345. INT. BLACKSMITH SHOP – WIDE ANGLE – NIGHT

The fight between West, Frank and the three Toughs continues amid the cloud of smoke which was emitted from Frank’s cane. The cane is “dead” now and Frank is using it as a rapier to hold off one of the Toughs while West is dealing with the other two. We can HEAR the foursome in the wagon hammering on the doors and shouting for release.

346. EXT. GREEN SET – RAVEN GUARD – NIGHT

standing poised over the dynamite plunger as Occularis II comes running up.

OCCULARIS II
(to guard)
Everybody is out, except West and that phony Professor.

The Guard slams the plunger down.

347. INT. BLACKSMITH SHOP – WIDE ANGLE – NIGHT

as it is rocked by the tremendous EXPLOSION in Raven headquarters below. West, Frank, and the Toughs are knocked to the floor. Tools and equipment in the shop are tossed around. The force of the blast knocks the forge off its hinge, spewing coals over the floor. It also sends the wagon rolling out of the shop and into the street.

348. EXT. BLACKSMITH SHOP – WAGON – NIGHT

as it comes to a stop in the middle of the street.

349. INT. BLACKSMITH SHOP – WEST, FRANK – NIGHT

as the two get to their feet, a bit dazed, and pick their way through the debris.

350. EXT. BLACKSMITH SHOP – WEST, FRANK – NIGHT

as they rush to the wagon and pull open the door. Rosa, Toombs and Chaveros climb out, dazed and shaken. Frank starts to enter the wagon.

FRANK
All right, Tycho, this is the end of the –

Frank breaks off, gaping stupidly into the wagon.

FRANK (CONT'D)
Jim!

West looks into the wagon, reacting with dismay.

351. POV SHOT

into the wagon.

WEST’S VOICE
He’s gone!

The CAMERA TILTS DOWN to show us an open trap door in the floor of the wagon.

352. BACK TO SCENE

as West and Frank whirl from the wagon, looking up the street one way.

353. PVO SHOT

on the street. It is deserted.

354. WEST, FRANK

as they look the other way.

355. POV SHOT

in the other direction. This end of the street is equally deserted.

356. WEST, FRANK

as they look at one another, completely dumbfounded.

FRANK
Where could he have got to?

West can only shake his head. Then, sudden, we HEAR a Raven CAWING. Jim and Frank look up sharply to see a –

357. RAVEN

– perched on the edge of the wagon’s roof. It CAWS a time or two more, then spreads its wings and takes flight, disappearing into the night.

358. WEST, FRANK

as they crane their necks, watching the raven fly away. Now they look at one another. It’s obvious what they’re thinking.

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT IV

TAG

FADE IN:

359. EXT. WEST’S VARNISH – TO ESTABLISH – NIGHT

It’s on a siding.

360. INTO. WEST’S VARNISH – TIGHT SHOT – NIGHT

on the telegraph key CLICKING. The ANGLE WIDENS to include West, Frank, and two lovely young ladies. The girls are in evening gowns. Jim and Frank are in white ties and tails.

!ST GIRL
Good news?

WEST
Well, yes and no. The last of the Raven agents have been arrested, but we still haven’t a line on Tycho.

2ND GIRL
He must be a strange little man.

West and Frank exchange a look, obviously remembering the raven that took off from the wagon.

WEST
Very strange.

FRANK
(brightening)
But there’s nothing we can do about him this evening, so where would you ladies like to go? Personally, I’m in a cultural mood.

WEST
What about the theater?

FRANK
Excellent suggestion.

The girls, however, shake their heads.

FRANK (CONT'D)
The ballet?

The girls shake their heads at that, too.

WEST
Opera?

Nope.

FRANK
A – symphony?

Huh-uh.

WEST
Then you name it. Your wish is our command.

2ND GIRL
We’d like to go to the Great Gilligan’s Penny Arcade and Amusement Hall.

West and Frank are bemused.

FRANK
How quaint… why?

1ST GIRL
Because they have one of those new-fangled machines.

2ND GIRL
You know, the kind you look into and crank a handle and see moving pictures.

WEST
(weakly)
A – kinetoscope?

1ST GIRL
That’s it!

2ND GIRL
We’ve heard they’re just loads of fun!

FADE OUT

THE END

- TNOT Pistoleros
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
THE WILD WILD WEST @ wildwildwest.org © WildWildWest.org - Third Side of the Coin Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000